Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

LionArcher posted:

Okay, I found a local corolla I want. 2009, (white color ) third owner, 108K, clean title for 7.5K. We talked on the phone, and he agreed to my term of driving it to a local auto shop I trust to do a safety inspection (which I'll pay for). He's leaving town for ten days tomorrow, and I said that's fine, and he'll call when he returns to set up the day to do this. That all sounds good, but he was then a little vague ramble about title of car, since he bought it recently from a friend, and something about the dmv taking " sixteen weeks for more paperwork"and he's only selling because his job went remote so he doesn't have to drive between the two towns he was planning too.

I'm not an idiot, and (i'll have my father who's a former mechanic with me at the actual sale) but just wanting to know what I need to make sure he has so I don't get screwed over scammed if/when he calls back and agree to before we meet.

Sounds like a title jumper. Meaning he bought the car for a lot less, likely hidden whatever devalued it from you, and is now trying to skip tax by keeping his name off the title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Thanks thread. If he doesnt have title in hand Ill back out. Again, I wouldnt give him a dime till the inspection for my mechanic came through. But if he doesnt have a title, Ill walk.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

He doesn't have the title. He's setting you up for the "well, I can just give you the title from the last guy so you don't have to wait for them to switch it over to me and then to you". Ask his specifically if he has a clear title in his name. If the answer is no stop right there. The answer will be "no....BUT....."

Listen to the people telling you: this is the red flag playbook of a scummy car transaction you just described.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Motronic posted:

He doesn't have the title. He's setting you up for the "well, I can just give you the title from the last guy so you don't have to wait for them to switch it over to me and then to you". Ask his specifically if he has a clear title in his name. If the answer is no stop right there. The answer will be "no....BUT....."

Listen to the people telling you: this is the red flag playbook of a scummy car transaction you just described.

Yeah, and I just saw that 2009s have several known issues. Im out. And again, thanks thread.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 7, 2021

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Hey AI. I just graduated college and about to start my first full-time job. I've been driving a 2006 Mazda 3 for the time being, which has been good so far but the car has some impending maintenance that I don't think would make sense to carry out (lifters are making noise, a synchro is bad and the rest are pretty worn, paint is faded badly in some parts etc.) Instead, I'd look to get something similar in better shape for more of a long haul. In the mean time I plan on driving the doors off on this thing, but I'd like to start looking for other stuff before I'm forced to either fix or get rid of it. I really enjoy the driving dynamics of the Mazda, so something relatively light would be a plus. Good gas mileage would also be nice, but anything that'll get 24+ would be good enough.
Proposed Budget: ~$4-5k (tentative)
New or Used: Used, preferably not from a dealer.
Body Style: Anything but an SUV/CUV (Wagon would be best, and 4/5 doors preferred but not essential.)
How will you be using the car?: Mostly commute to my job with the occasional hour long commute into the city. I will be moving soon but I don't expect to do too much moving with the car. If any I typically only have 1 passenger but having 4/5 seats is definitely preferable for the few occasions I would need it.
What aspects are most important to you?: Three pedals are non-negotiable. After that, reliability/ease of servicing is the top priority. Something that's pretty fun (not necessarily fast) would be a huge plus, but not at the expense of reliability. As for gizmos, less is more. I'd be happy with nothing but A/C and a stereo. I despise most infotainment touchscreen stuff but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for something that's otherwise good (though probably isn't a problem at my price range haha). I live on Long Island in NY at the time being, though I have a sister moving to Atlanta so I'm keeping there on my radar as well. Also definitely get a good amount of snow around here, so something that'll do reasonably well with a set of snow tires is essential as well.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

With that budget and those preferences just fix the mazda.

Autotrader search for 500 miles from NY for 5K manuals is either mid 00 or 150K econoboxes.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Could get a mid 00s GTI with 150k miles and probably an oil leak at that price!

(I still miss mine...)

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I'm baffled by how many people seem to want a manual transmission station wagon vs how many of said weapons actually exist for sale. Which is basically none. Is it because nobody wants to buy one brand new?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Only internet car nerds claim to want manual station wagons which is like 0.001% of the new car buying population, if that.

Also many internet car nerds don't buy new cars.

So now they are entirely dead. Literally zero for sale. And the only true station wagons, with automatics, are the super expensive Euro options: Audi allroad & RS6, Mercedes E-class, and Volvo V60/V90. And BMW dropped the (auto only) 3 series wagon with the move to the G20 generation in 2019.

VW Golf Sportwagen/Alltrack was both the last mainstream wagon and last manual option and it died in 2019. Some might argue the Subaru Outback is a mainstream wagon, but it's huge CUV now, it hasn't been a wagon in ages.

CUVs have eaten the whole market. All the R&D money and economies of scale has gone into CUVs. They are the only mainstream option for a mid-size 5-door anymore in the USA. And they are wildly popular.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 8, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There are exactly 5 people who claim they would buy a new manual wagon and have accounts on all the car forums and are loud enough to sound like 50,000 people. When a car manufacturer is dumb enough to listen they say "I meant if it was free and gave you a blowjob while you drive it" and declare they will buy one used in 3 years at half off.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

KillHour posted:

There are exactly 5 people who claim they would buy a new manual wagon and have accounts on all the car forums and are loud enough to sound like 50,000 people. When a car manufacturer is dumb enough to listen they say "I meant if it was free and gave you a blowjob while you drive it" and declare they will buy one used in 3 years at half off.

And then still not buy it because of resale value (although I hear the Chevy SS manuals are actually appreciating, lol)

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Proposed Budget: we can probably get an auto loan from our credit union for whatever, but I don't want to go too far past 15k
New or Used: honestly, I'd prefer new at this point just to know the history. Used is fine if they're reliable
Body Style: 4 door compact or midsized sedan. For reference, it's replacing a tiny 02 ford focus
How will you be using the car?: mostly ill be commuting with it, average use would be like 500 to 800 miles a month.
The most important factors to me are reliability and cheapness. My current car, a 2002 focus, has faithfully served me from 120k miles to 230k but it's really getting rough around the edges. I just want something to replace it that can serve the same purpose of cheap to run but preferably more reliably than this thing.

I was looking into a Nissan Versa because I used to have an altima I liked, but heard bad things about their cvt so I'm not sure.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KillHour posted:

GM seems to fall for it a lot, so I'm glad the taxpayers were/are ready to bail them out.

Just for starters, women are virtually unrepresented on internet car forums* yet make up probably close to 50% of retail car buyers and overwhelmingly influence probably an even bigger share.

*maybe I only hang out on dieself350sizequeens.com and just don't know about the female oriented forums.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Proposed Budget: we can probably get an auto loan from our credit union for whatever, but I don't want to go too far past 15k
New or Used: honestly, I'd prefer new at this point just to know the history. Used is fine if they're reliable
Body Style: 4 door compact or midsized sedan. For reference, it's replacing a tiny 02 ford focus
How will you be using the car?: mostly ill be commuting with it, average use would be like 500 to 800 miles a month.
The most important factors to me are reliability and cheapness. My current car, a 2002 focus, has faithfully served me from 120k miles to 230k but it's really getting rough around the edges. I just want something to replace it that can serve the same purpose of cheap to run but preferably more reliably than this thing.

I was looking into a Nissan Versa because I used to have an altima I liked, but heard bad things about their cvt so I'm not sure.

Do not buy a new Nissan.

Get the nicest used Prius you can find within your budget, or Camry/Corolla if you don't want a hybrid for whatever reason.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Do not buy a new Nissan.

Get the nicest used Prius you can find within your budget, or Camry/Corolla if you don't want a hybrid for whatever reason.

The apartment complex I live at would mean just running an extension cord forty feet to my car lol

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

The apartment complex I live at would mean just running an extension cord forty feet to my car lol

Are you under the impression that a Prius needs to be plugged in?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Throatwarbler posted:

Are you under the impression that a Prius needs to be plugged in?

Oh, I was looking at a Prius plug in, not a normal hybrid. Haven't ever driven a car newer than 2003, which is why I'm asking here. Thanks

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 8, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm not sure why you think you have to plug in a Prius.

Edit: beaten

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

KillHour posted:

There are exactly 5 people who claim they would buy a new manual wagon and have accounts on all the car forums and are loud enough to sound like 50,000 people.

gently caress off. I never said I was only looking for a wagon and this is the first place I've asked about getting a car period. Whining about someone's preference doesn't help anyone.

DildenAnders fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 8, 2021

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

DildenAnders posted:

gently caress off. I never said I was only looking for a manual, and this is the first place I've asked about getting a car period. Whining about someone's preference doesn't help anyone.

Lighten up, Francis. Not everything is about you, but you did say three pedals was non negotiable.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

DildenAnders posted:

gently caress off. I never said I was only looking for a manual, and this is the first place I've asked about getting a car period. Whining about someone's preference doesn't help anyone.

He's trying to tell you it's not gonna happen, the only thing that's going to come close to a manual wagon with your budget is maybe an old protege5 and good luck finding one of those in decent condition. MAYBE an old Kia Soul or Focus wagon if you're lucky because 85% of those are automatics.

With a budget of 5k you're not going to be able to afford to be picky if you really need a car. If you're dead set on a manual transmission you're better off looking at Honda Accord sedans or something

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Hey, need a recommendation on a minivan/suv no more than 25k that will be good in a cross-country roadtrip with two adults a baby and a dog, and hauling lumber on a semi-regular basis. We will be trading in our beloved prius for it.

Hybrid if possible.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

DildenAnders posted:

gently caress off. I never said I was only looking for a wagon and this is the first place I've asked about getting a car period. Whining about someone's preference doesn't help anyone.

I wasn't even responding to you, dude. I was agreeing with/continuing the joke of the post above mine. The "why doesn't everyone make a manual brown wagon that has good driving dynamics and costs no money and runs on unicorn farts" has been an AI meme since forever. The reality is the ones that do exist cost ridiculous amounts of money because nobody wanted them when they were new and now that they're extinct, rich nerds fight over who gets to fart in the seats of the few that are left running. You can't find one because everyone bought SUVs 5-10 years ago new instead of spending 50 grand on what internet forums posters said they wanted, and that's what I was making fun of. I say this as someone who has a manual hatchback in the driveway.

Edit: and that still isn't even responding to your question, it's explaining the joke I made completely independent of your question. The answer to your question is get the newest thing you can find in the best condition within your budget because you're not going to find a manual fun car for that money.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 8, 2021

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Proposed Budget: 30kish, more if I have to
New or Used: Used probably
Body Style: SUV or maybe a mini-van
How will you be using the car?: 4 adults and 1 child, I'd like it to offroad better than my 2016 Kia Forte5 SX. Which is a bar almost as low as the ground clearance on my car, but still.
What aspects are most important to you? I want 3rd row seating and captain's chairs in the 2nd row. The captain's chairs are kind of non-negotiable since we're getting a 3 row SUV/mini-van for my parents' comfort, and so they're going to help us buy it. I go climbing outside a reasonable amount, so the ability to manage more vigorous offroading than a groomed dirt road would be nice, like CR-V levels of offroading capability are probably enough. My forte was once thwarted by a moderate slope and a wet rock and then scraped going over a cattle guard, so better than that.

Alternatively convince me I should just buy the Kia Telluride, because that's what I want, but it's hard to justify that much money on a new car since I'd have to get the SX version to get captain's chairs which is..a lot. Other option is we just get some kind of mini-van and I buy an older 4runner or something to go with it. We currently have the Kia and a 2014 Nissan Murano, neither of which seem well suited to our actual lifestyle. We have really short commutes so not terribly worried about gas mileage. I think we average like 8kish on each car/year, probably less on my wife's car, with a large portion of the mileage being road trips.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KillHour posted:

I wasn't even responding to you, dude. I was agreeing with/continuing the joke of the post above mine. The "why doesn't everyone make a manual brown wagon that has good driving dynamics and costs no money and runs on unicorn farts" has been an AI meme since forever. The reality is the ones that do exist cost ridiculous amounts of money because nobody wanted them when they were new and now that they're extinct, rich nerds fight over who gets to fart in the seats of the few that are left running. You can't find one because everyone bought SUVs 5-10 years ago new instead of spending 50 grand on what internet forums posters said they wanted, and that's what I was making fun of. I say this as someone who has a manual hatchback in the driveway.

Edit: and that still isn't even responding to your question, it's explaining the joke I made completely independent of your question. The answer to your question is get the newest thing you can find in the best condition within your budget because you're not going to find a manual fun car for that money.

OP's best choice is to drive the stick Mazda3 they currently own until it does and then buy another stick Mazda3

i am also a manual wagon owner and i even bought it new as the last manual wagon that would ever be sold in the USA :chord:

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Hey, need a recommendation on a minivan/suv no more than 25k that will be good in a cross-country roadtrip with two adults a baby and a dog, and hauling lumber on a semi-regular basis. We will be trading in our beloved prius for it.

Hybrid if possible.

it sounds like you are buying a car for edge case stuff which is always a terrible and expensive idea. my recommendation would be if you are regularly hauling lumber to get an old cargo van or domestic pickup and keep the prius. my recommendation if you are going to go on a cross country road trip is to hit up the boys at Enterprise.

but if you absolutely must have, I think you might be able to snag a used Pacific PHEV for that price.

M. Night Skymall posted:

What aspects are most important to you? I want 3rd row seating and captain's chairs in the 2nd row. The captain's chairs are kind of non-negotiable since we're getting a 3 row SUV/mini-van for my parents' comfort, and so they're going to help us buy it. I go climbing outside a reasonable amount, so the ability to manage more vigorous offroading than a groomed dirt road would be nice, like CR-V levels of offroading capability are probably enough. My forte was once thwarted by a moderate slope and a wet rock and then scraped going over a cattle guard, so better than that.

congratulations, future domestic BOF SUV owner. yes a telluride is better in a a variety of ways but you can buy a whole lot of Trailblazer/suburban/yukon/tahoe/expedition for 30 grand. that will get over the trails you want to get over and will be perfectly comfortable and reliable.

your other idea is decent, though I'd replace the 4runner idea with something without a horrible toyota tax.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

M. Night Skymall posted:

I go climbing outside a reasonable amount, so the ability to manage more vigorous offroading than a groomed dirt road would be nice, like CR-V levels of offroading capability are probably enough.

I wouldn't trust a CR-V on anything much more than a groomed dirt road, so that's not really saying much.

Comedy option Grand Cherokee. Even the WK2s are damned capable vehicles and I was quite happy with the rental Durango (same platform) I had once while on the road. The downside is "lol Mopar" reliability.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Comedy option, buy one of those 4x4 Ford Conversion vans.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

I won't be able to sell my car and start shopping for a new one until later this summer, by which point I'm hoping the market will be a little less insane. But I'd like to know what Carvana will give me for my car now so I have a rough budget to start researching in the meantime. It's there any penalty or downside to letting a quote time out and then having them quote the same car again later?

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 10, 2021

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Unsinkabear posted:

I won't be able to sell my car and start shopping for a new one until late this summer, by which point I'm hoping the market will by a little less insane. But I'd like to know what Carvana will give me for my car now so I have a rough budget to start researching with in the meantime. It's there any penalty or downside to letting a quote time out and then having them quote the same car again later?

Nope as I've done this a lot lately

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

I wouldn't trust a CR-V on anything much more than a groomed dirt road, so that's not really saying much.

Comedy option Grand Cherokee. Even the WK2s are damned capable vehicles and I was quite happy with the rental Durango (same platform) I had once while on the road. The downside is "lol Mopar" reliability.

I mean sure, like I said it has to beat out my 5.5" ground clearance Forte, most of the places I'm going I could probably do in an even moderately less stupid sedan, or have people commenting they managed it in like a CX7 or equivalent FWD crossover despite the "AWD required" warnings. There're a few areas that seem like they need the high clearance/awd thing more, but if I *really* decide I'm going to those places regularly I'll get something else that doesn't have 3 rows, and can probably care a little less about reliability and back seat comfort. I'm mostly looking at climbing areas in Arkansas for reference, mostly mud, puddles, and ruts as issues.

Anyway, all that's just vague "wants," I really need something that has 3 rows so my parents get off my back about how uncomfortable the back seat is with the baby throne. For now I'm leaning towards a 2017-2018 Highlander, or maybe a slightly older Tahoe? The quad seats/captain chairs in an SUV requirement is really awkward to shop for. Other options I've found that have the interior I like are the GX460, a few trims on the Expedition, and the Traverse.

nm posted:

Comedy option, buy one of those 4x4 Ford Conversion vans.

I showed my parents the Kia Carnival with the footrests, and they said I should just get a Winnebago then. I tried for the revel, but it's a little over my budget.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

How old is your kid?

Because pretty much all SUV 3rd rows are good for children aged 5 to 12ish. Some are better than others.

I wouldnt want a rear facing seat or have to help a smaller kid buckle up.

Van 3rd rows are much better to deal with.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

skipdogg posted:

How old is your kid?

Because pretty much all SUV 3rd rows are good for children aged 5 to 12ish. Some are better than others.

I wouldnt want a rear facing seat or have to help a smaller kid buckle up.

Van 3rd rows are much better to deal with.

She turns 5 in a month and we're definitely 1 and done, part of the appeal really is that it's starting to look like actual fun to take her on a long trip. My parents have been cramming into the backseat with her in the Murano up to now, which is fine if you aren't going very far, but it's not exactly comfortable.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

M. Night Skymall posted:

I mean sure, like I said it has to beat out my 5.5" ground clearance Forte, most of the places I'm going I could probably do in an even moderately less stupid sedan, or have people commenting they managed it in like a CX7 or equivalent FWD crossover despite the "AWD required" warnings. There're a few areas that seem like they need the high clearance/awd thing more, but if I *really* decide I'm going to those places regularly I'll get something else that doesn't have 3 rows, and can probably care a little less about reliability and back seat comfort. I'm mostly looking at climbing areas in Arkansas for reference, mostly mud, puddles, and ruts as issues.

Anyway, all that's just vague "wants," I really need something that has 3 rows so my parents get off my back about how uncomfortable the back seat is with the baby throne. For now I'm leaning towards a 2017-2018 Highlander, or maybe a slightly older Tahoe? The quad seats/captain chairs in an SUV requirement is really awkward to shop for. Other options I've found that have the interior I like are the GX460, a few trims on the Expedition, and the Traverse.

I showed my parents the Kia Carnival with the footrests, and they said I should just get a Winnebago then. I tried for the revel, but it's a little over my budget.
Buy the nicest e series conversion van you can for 10-15 and then give these guys $15k
https://www.quigley4x4.com/products/ford-e-series/

Edit: They also do transits, which are nicer.

nm fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 10, 2021

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For $30k budget I think you could get a pretty nice minivan and solid but high mileage 4Runner/GX470 to cover all your bases if you dont mind the extra vehicle. One thing to look at with the three row crossovers + road trips is that theres often not a whole lot of luggage space behind the third row.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

M
I
A
T
A
It stands for: Always Buy a Ford Excursion

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

powderific posted:

For $30k budget I think you could get a pretty nice minivan and solid but high mileage 4Runner/GX470 to cover all your bases if you dont mind the extra vehicle. One thing to look at with the three row crossovers + road trips is that theres often not a whole lot of luggage space behind the third row.

Applies to a three-row BOF SUV too. Three-row setups in Tahoes are set up to either be three rows and next to no cargo, or two rows and all sorts of poo poo. If you need three rows and cargo now you're looking at a Suburban.

Suburbans are awesome road trip vehicles but they are huge. It was expensive to fuel one when gas was $1/gallon, it's vastly worse now and your budget probably can't stretch to afford one of the new ones with a 3.0 Duramax. You would have to need all three rows and cargo capability on a very regular basis to justify living with all the drawbacks of one.

I'll second powderific here. If you can sacrifice the need for the daily driver / road trip vehicle to also handle off road scenarios, you're much better off separating those two needs and not paying a major fuel mileage penalty on a day to day basis.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If you're doing sub 8k miles a year a lot of that fuel cost concern is relatively minor. A Suburban 1500 4x4 is gonna get like 17 combined and an Odyssey is going to get 22 or 23. It's like $3-400/year, not nothing but definitely cheaper than tags on a third car.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Just do something dumb like me and get an econoline with 2nd row captain chairs and then another car for your daily driver. A used van is going to be half the cost of an equivalent Suburban and is why we bought one. I take that poo poo off road all the time and use it for people hauling when we have visitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You can also do a cargo box on the roof, which I love on my GX470 but some people don't like them (and does give you a hit on the gas mileage.)