Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabidbunnylover
Feb 26, 2006
d567c8526b5b0e

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

dude is also in a rural area and wants reliability and low weight, I don't think the defender is a great idea.

People use UTVs for this because they're pretty much fit to purpose other than the highway bit. How much highway do you have to go on, and is it like, 2 lane rural highway or interstate? If it's just a few miles, I'd suck it up and get a UTV or a SxS. They're not horribly slow and you'll likely be transiting in the day with good visibility. You're in a rural area so there's some expectations of equipment on roads.

Yeah, the thing that's leading me to compromise-land is that it's about 25 miles between the two pieces of the ranch. Same county and not *that* geographically far apart, but all the roads in the county spoke out from the town in the center and you basically have to go into town and then back out to get between the pieces. It's two lane rural highway but one of them is fairly well-used by folks going into the closest major city. Not opposed to just getting a UTV + trailer and if he ends up using it a lot + loading/unloading sucking just getting another for the other piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

just another posted:

Based in Canada.

Proposed Budget: <$30,000 CAD (ideally)

New or Used: Either, but used market here is tight

Body Style: Don't care

How will you be using the car?: Commuting
Priority 1: Good highway car; can accelerate and pass semis without rattling apart. Cruising speed is 120kmh/75mph.
Priority 2: Gas mileage.
Priority 3: Built tough enough for the occasional gravel and backroad.
Very distant Priority 4: Can fit three car seats across in the backseat (but we already have a Suburban for that).

What aspects are most important to you? Reliability and MPG. This will strictly be a commuter car, anywhere from 40km to 60km each way a day.

Like others have already said, and based on your comments, priority 3 is somewhat at odds with priorities 1 & 2.

Every new car for sale in North America can easily cruise at 75mph. Some will be working harder than others, but they all can do it without a problem. And they all can pass above 75mph if you put your foot into it. Again, some more easily than others. But also cruising at 75mph is not optimal for gas mileage (but we all do it anyway).

Also every new car can handle driving on dirt and gravel roads, but if you want to do it with more comfort and confidence you need to at least look at a small CUV like the RAV4, CRV, Forester, etc. They are not real offroaders by any stretch, but the bit of extra ride height and suspension travel truly does take the edge off of gravel roads compared to an economy sedan or hatchback. But you will pay a penalty in gas mileage for the larger / less aerodynamic car. So it really depends on what your priorities really are.

A RAV4 hybrid sounds like it might be the best combination of all your desires, except for price. Not sure what they're going for in Canada but I'd assume mid 30s if you can even find one right now. Otherwise any regular old comparable CUV is likely what you want, but you'll trade off in fuel economy. Or if you're willing to go even smaller, something like a Crosstrek or CX-30 might fit the bill.

There's a reason that compact CUVs are the new stereotype for "a car" in North America. They may be bland, but they tick a lot of boxes for comfort and utility-minded people.

But if what you really do care about is just an efficient commuter car and all this gravel and passing power talk is ancillary, then yes get a Prius.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 16, 2021

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

just another posted:

Tires, windshields, chewed up paint, etc. Nothing major.

The only one of those things that might be improved by going to a larger vehicle is if your tires are actually getting punctured to death and not just worn, is getting something large enough to run all-terrain tires and then actually putting all-terrains on it. Jeeps get windshields cracked as much as anything else and loving :lol: at the idea of paint on anything holding up to repeated rock strikes.

But that's going to be at big odds with "fuel mileage".

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Jack B Nimble posted:

When you say struggling, is it getting very loud and seeming like it can't go much faster easily?
Yes. It can always get up to speed eventually but pulling out and passing is a little stressful, especially if the semi is already doing 65mph. Even if it's not really struggling in an unsafe way, the engine gets very loud and the acceleration is anemic. My wife considered it a downgrade from her 2001 Cavalier. It cruises just fine at 75 but there have been enough times where I wanted or needed power that wasn't there, that I'll sacrifice some MPG for more pep.

I probably shouldn't have mentioned gravel, though. It's a fact of life in this area and some roads are shot to poo poo after the winter thaw but it's probably not something I need to make a special consideration for.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I mean, the problem here is still that you have three basically incompatible goals. So pick one. Is #1 the important one?

just another
Oct 16, 2009

Yes. Where "good highway car" means comfort and passing power, that is priority #1.

Of the subset of cars that satisfy priority #1 and cost <$30,000 CAD, I'll take the one with the best MPG.

Etc.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Is the Ford Maverick going to exist as new stock for at least 3 years? / What are the odds Honda makes a hybrid truck smaller than the Ridgeline? They just killed the Fit. If Ford really start the Maverick at $20k I’d consider trading in or selling my CR-V for it (since Credit Karma is claiming it’s worth $22,500 right now).

My 2017 Honda CR-V is nice, but the few times I carry big things and put the back seat down I find myself wishing it were less constrained overall — and 40 mpg seems really nice versus the about 30 I get now driving carefully.

also, a datapoint re: over MSRP cars. I’m in Austin, TX getting an oil change and I walked through the dealer’s lot — they have exactly one Honda Insight and it’s selling for $26,005 - $995 over the $25,010 MSRP. For 52 mpg! hybrids are insane

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

just another posted:

Yes. It can always get up to speed eventually but pulling out and passing is a little stressful, especially if the semi is already doing 65mph.

In my own personal irl experience, the people who have told me their car is slow also don't feel comfortable pinning the gas pedal all the way to the floor for several seconds; if you're not doing that you may want to experiment with it some on empty on-ramps. Again, not trying to condescend, but it won't cost you anything to try if that's the case.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

wolfs posted:

Is the Ford Maverick going to exist as new stock for at least 3 years? / What are the odds Honda makes a hybrid truck smaller than the Ridgeline? They just killed the Fit. If Ford really start the Maverick at $20k I’d consider trading in or selling my CR-V for it (since Credit Karma is claiming it’s worth $22,500 right now).

My 2017 Honda CR-V is nice, but the few times I carry big things and put the back seat down I find myself wishing it were less constrained overall — and 40 mpg seems really nice versus the about 30 I get now driving carefully.

also, a datapoint re: over MSRP cars. I’m in Austin, TX getting an oil change and I walked through the dealer’s lot — they have exactly one Honda Insight and it’s selling for $26,005 - $995 over the $25,010 MSRP. For 52 mpg! hybrids are insane

It’ll probably be hard to find the $20k model for a while unless you’re ordering dozens of them for your fleet.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

In my own personal irl experience, the people who have told me their car is slow also don't feel comfortable pinning the gas pedal all the way to the floor for several seconds; if you're not doing that you may want to experiment with it some on empty on-ramps. Again, not trying to condescend, but it won't cost you anything to try if that's the case.

Yeah, this is what I'm picking up here. Especially when coupled with:

just another posted:

the engine gets very loud

Putting your foot all the way to the floor is not going to break your car. If it breaks when you do that it was going to break anyway.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
To be fair getting a compact into the power zone will find every loose thing that could possibly vibrate so it does sound really terrifying if you're not used to it.

Test driving my CPO Civic I really flogged it and the sales guy was tripping over himself like "oh my we will find that noise and secure it down before you get it if you want it" and in my head I'm like "I was just looking for a cloud of oil coming out..."

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Totally, its absolutely NOT how I was taught to drive, my parents would have lost their minds if I'd pinned the throttle.

Rabidbunnylover
Feb 26, 2006
d567c8526b5b0e

Rabidbunnylover posted:

Yeah, the thing that's leading me to compromise-land is that it's about 25 miles between the two pieces of the ranch. Same county and not *that* geographically far apart, but all the roads in the county spoke out from the town in the center and you basically have to go into town and then back out to get between the pieces. It's two lane rural highway but one of them is fairly well-used by folks going into the closest major city. Not opposed to just getting a UTV + trailer and if he ends up using it a lot + loading/unloading sucking just getting another for the other piece.

Is there a thread that covers UTVs somewhere? Looked through AI and CI and didn't find it but might be looking for the wrong terms.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

Whether it's the car of my constitution, passing on the highway sucks in a Honda Fit, especially when you're accelerating off 70mph, and especially if there's an incline. I've driven this thing for ten years, coast to coast, including multiple road trips within the Rocky and Coast Mountains, so I'm not liable to change my opinion or decide I want something similar.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
I feel like throttle mapping has a lot to do with it. A lot of newer cars are at like half throttle when you're barely pushing the pedal in and it really warps the association between the pedal and actual acceleration. People also seem to be scared of cars revving for some reason, which is weird because it's something engines need on a semi-regular basis for carbon buildup and stuff.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

just another posted:

Whether it's the car of my constitution, passing on the highway sucks in a Honda Fit, especially when you're accelerating off 70mph, and especially if there's an incline. I've driven this thing for ten years, coast to coast, including multiple road trips within the Rocky and Coast Mountains, so I'm not liable to change my opinion or decide I want something similar.
Yeah I think we've started tilting at windmills besides your problem. Someone else might be able to help you with what power forward sedans are available at your price level so instead I'll get on this threads other Soapbox and recommend the Mazda CX30 or CX5 again for the reasons of power and comfort. I think the turbo is out of your price range to remove all acceleration doubts but my CX5 feels pretty peppy without it - just got done with a vacation road trip and never felt it was lacking guts to get out in front of stuff starting at 75-80 MPH on Appalachian hills and the CX30 is a smaller car with the same engine.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the CX-30 is tight. There was an ancillary request for 3 abreast car seats and that is 100% out in the CX-30.

Are you at altitude? That's another contributor to poor performance, maybe. If you are, look for things with a turbocharger. Something like a gently used CR-V with the 1.5T.

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

Space Gopher posted:

The unpainted front bumper cover. That car has been in an accident, and someone tried to fix it as cheaply as possible.

It’s possible that somebody just cracked the bumper cover in a light, low-speed collision and it’s basically fine underneath. It’s also possible that the crash safety structures are compromised and it’s a twisted mess that will fold in half in another crash. Theoretically, a car in bad shape after an accident should be totaled, but especially on the less expensive end of the market it’s possible for accidents to avoid insurance companies.

In normal times, I’d just say “look elsewhere,” but at the very least don’t go near it without a comprehensive pre-purchase inspection that you’ve paid for, from a mechanic you trust. And, definitely don’t trust anything Quick Motor Inc tells you about the car.

I was worried about that too, but based on the car fax report, the only reported accident was in February 2014 (“Vehicle involved in a rear-end collision with another motor vehicle, Airbags did not deploy”) and then September of that same year, the Toyota dealership had it for sale as certified pre-owned. I guess it’s still possible that there was another accident that’s not on the report, but it also looks like the second owner was getting it maintained regularly which seems like a good sign?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

if someone's too lazy and cheap to paint the cover they're too lazy and cheap to maintain the car right, move along

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

Alright, I think y’all talked me out of it.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
So many cars are going to have faster acceleration at highway speeds than a Fit, and the vast majority will be fine on gravel rounds.

Figure out your ground clearance requirement if any and go from there. If you want more space be willing to sacrifice gas mileage.

I feel like I could recommend 50 different vehicles to fit the request.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Hey everyone. Looking to upgrade my mom's 2004 Camry. She's a tiny old lady that doesn't drive much, so things like reliability and gas mileage aren't important. What's important is her safety.

So the list of requirements goes like this:

- used
- safety features/equipment
- good visibility
- no larger than 2004 Camry
- not too low to the ground, for accessibility sake. The previous gen Forester seems to be at perfect heigh

The budget is at 15k retail, but I can spend more if needed. We'll be looking for the newest and the cleanest, as she's going to keep this car for at least a decade.

You guys are pretty knowledgeable about the latest and the greatest as far as safety and gadgets go. I understand that certain features are locked behind trim levels, so I need to make a short list of cars and accompanying trim that fits into my budget. Help me put together a list. Thanks in advance

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ford Raptor

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

If you're keeping a car for 10 god drat years, and your budget is that high, why not just go new? Mazda CX-3?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Inner Light posted:

If you're keeping a car for 10 god drat years, and your budget is that high, why not just go new? Mazda CX-3?

because stepping up to a new vehicle is like 30-40% more at minimum, what the gently caress is this nonsense

"my budget is 15k"
"oh you should really change your budget to 23k" :wtc:

You mentioned no bigger than a XV30 Camry, are you looking to go actively smaller? A 4th gen CR-V Touring trim will include Honda Sensing. Budget might be difficult, though. You'd be looking at a relatively high mileage example.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Nitrox posted:

Hey everyone. Looking to upgrade my mom's 2004 Camry. She's a tiny old lady that doesn't drive much, so things like reliability and gas mileage aren't important.

The Kia soul is easy to get in and out of because it's seats are at hip height (check on this for smol grandma), are relatively inexpensive, and consistently has good safety ratings.

Edit: the MSRP is apparently 17.5k But I dunno what to tell you about that.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 17, 2021

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

just another posted:

I feel ya, I had a 2012 Fit and loved that car until I changed jobs and had a 40 mile commute each way, primarily on a high-speed freeway that runs about 75-80 each way.

Sure, it’s not -that- slow, but you gotta rev the piss out of (YO VTEC) to get any power out of it, and the transmission has to drop from 5th to 3rd to get there, so you have to bury the throttle in order to do any sort of acceleration above 70 or so.

Trying to drive smoothly is impossible, it’s like “no discernible acceleration…..more throttle….still nothing….more throttle…it downshifts….little better but I need more power, so more throttle….FINALLY it downshifts again, hits 5000rpm and takes off ok down the highway’

Eventually you end up driving like loving nitwit - either cruising speed or full throttle, all herky-jerky. I put up with it for 18 months before throwing in the towel and buying a new V6/stick Accord. No more acceleration issues, EVER :D

I’m just throwing this in here because unless you try to drive at speeds over 75 in an automatic Fit, you won’t understand. A stick would have been better, but A) nobody had one anywhere near me, and B) the stick Fits have a much lower final drive/overdrive gearing and they cruise at a much higher RPM even in top gear, which was annoying on the test drive but would have been a better choice in the long run.

If they made a Fit Si with the 176hp ‘L’ series motor out of the Civic, I’d buy two of them, one to put away later and other to drive until it disintegrated. Great car, but not set up to cruise at higher speeds.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

The Kia soul is easy to get in and out of because it's seats are at hip height (check on this for smol grandma), are relatively inexpensive, and consistently has good safety ratings.

Edit: the MSRP is apparently 17.5k But I dunno what to tell you about that.

this is a great suggestion and i'm mad that i didn't think of it

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

JnnyThndrs posted:

Eventually you end up driving like loving nitwit - either cruising speed or full throttle, all herky-jerky.

Oh this is it. This is why I hate every non-turbo 4 cylinder with an auto/cvt I’ve driven on the highway. I could never quite place what was bothering me once I got over my fear of using all of the pedal range.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into the Kia Soul and CRV touring trim. And yes, smaller is fine. I see there are elevated subcompact cars like Honda HRV, that may work out just fine.

I'm realizing that the future to have is the automated braking system. Seems like everybody has a different name for it. When did the systems began being implemented?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Nitrox posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into the Kia Soul and CRV touring trim. And yes, smaller is fine. I see there are elevated subcompact cars like Honda HRV, that may work out just fine.

I'm realizing that the future to have is the automated braking system. Seems like everybody has a different name for it. When did the systems began being implemented?

Depends. Some passive collision avoidance systems came out over 10 years ago, but the active ones that will brake for you are a bit more recent. Like always the technology started in the higher end cars and eventually trickled down.

My 2013 Ford has the warning system, and will precharge the brakes, but won't actually brake for you like some of the modern systems. My 2020 Ford has what they call pre collision assist with automatic emergency braking, which will apply the brakes for you.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Depends. Some passive collision avoidance systems came out over 10 years ago, but the active ones that will brake for you are a bit more recent. Like always the technology started in the higher end cars and eventually trickled down.

My 2013 Ford has the warning system, and will precharge the brakes, but won't actually brake for you like some of the modern systems. My 2020 Ford has what they call pre collision assist with automatic emergency braking, which will apply the brakes for you.

The best part is after the tech trickles down, it becomes standard or dirt cheap on the lower end cars and still costs 5 figures on expensive cars.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

KillHour posted:

The best part is after the tech trickles down, it becomes standard or dirt cheap on the lower end cars and still costs 5 figures on expensive cars.

I didn't realize that, that's great.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

KillHour posted:

Exactly. I rented a little Hyundai Elantra about 2 years ago in Atlanta. MSRP around 21K or so, and it came with lane keeping, collision, backup camera (those are required by law at this point I think), honestly it wasn't a bad car, especially with the price point. If I was shopping that range, I'd consider it for sure.

Hyundai can make it work in a 21K car, but somehow it's a 2000 dollar option on higher end cars.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Yeah since almost all the recent "luxury" features are just electronics and sensors, the actual cost of implementing them is peanuts once they are proven and scaled for mass market. The stuff trickles down and improves so fast that it's actually kind of shocking to sit in a luxury car from 5 years ago because it feels crazy outdated due to the march of technology.

Like yeah there's still things like luxury interior materials and more sophisticated drivetrains and chassis, but for a lot of people a fully trimmed mainstream car is more appealing and feature-packed than a lightly used luxury car these days.

quote:

Hyundai can make it work in a 21K car, but somehow it's a 2000 dollar option on higher end cars.

Also this bullshit is rampant in luxury cars especially Europeans, which is extra stupid considering its all cheap electronics. Your average Hyundai or Toyota has more standard active safety features than your average Audi because they gatekeep it behind a $5000 technology package that most cars on the lot aren't equipped with.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

The worst are the domestic manufacturers who only offer it on the higher trim levels as an option.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Guinness posted:

Like yeah there's still things like luxury interior materials and more sophisticated drivetrains and chassis, but for a lot of people a fully trimmed mainstream car is more appealing and feature-packed than a lightly used luxury car these days.

That's a great point. And to be clear, 99+% of consumers could not care less about drivetrain or chassis sophistication. Used luxury cars are a pretty bad choice for those consumers right now for the reasons you outlined.

Which, hopefully the decreased demand for used luxury cars makes them cheaper for idiots who want them like me.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
So I bought a car from Carvana last month. It's really nice and I like it, but getting anything done with them is like pulling teeth. My temp tag is about to expire. They haven't sent the paperwork to the DMV yet. They finally told me today there's some kind of mileage discrepancy on the title they're trying to resolve? (The car had less than 3k miles and one previous owner!)

In my state (VA) if they don't either send the DMV the title and application for my title/reg, OR renew my temp tag by the time the first temp expires, I can unwind the deal and get a refund, minus 26 cents a mile for the wear and tear I put on it. As much as I like the car I may be tempted to do that if they don't renew the tag, I just don't know how much of a fight it would be. Would end up being a very cheap one month car rental.

If they do renew the temp tag, then they get another 30 days to get their poo poo together and send everything to the DMV, and then I would get the same option again if they don't get it submitted in time.

Fun times.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I think the hard part for me would be figuring out when did certain trim/model began offering the features I want.

How long have Kia Soul been in the production? The new model looks like a 10 year old model, but the new model has the safety features from S trim and up. But gently caress if I can tell when they started offering those items, used listings don't seem to mention details. Is there an online database? Is there a site that has "active brake assist" as a checkbox? Autotrader doesn't from the looks of things.

I strongly prefer to buy used, for variety of BFC reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Nitrox posted:

I strongly prefer to buy used, for variety of BFC reasons.

Buying new and taking care of it and driving it for many years is also a BFC-approved approach. Especially an economy car like a Kia with 0% financing.

Double especially right now with the turbofucked used market. Even before the current used car bubble, the used car depreciation mantra has been less and less true for years.