Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

Have you considered a trailer for moving construction material?

And some other solution for plowing?.....because it really destroys pickups. I have friends who plow with ATVs. I plow with a tractor.
Depending on your lawn/landsacpe situation something like that could be a multi-use item.

I have considered a trailer, yeah. I just find the convenience of a truck much easier if I'm getting a new car anyway. The RAV didn't have a trailer hitch, but the Telluride does.

Plowing was just an added bonus that I'd use a few times a year. My other thought was to get a new lawn tractor (since I need one of those too. I mow about 1.5 acres) and get a snow-thrower for that. Or just get a better walk-behind.

I know plows beat up transmissions, but figured it wouldn't be too bad if it's only a few times a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

You can install a hitch receiver for like $300-500

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Trailblazers fit a full sheet of plywood, right?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Guinness posted:

You can install a hitch receiver for like $300-500

More like $150-200 and an hour of your time if you’re remotely handy

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KillHour posted:

Trailblazers fit a full sheet of plywood, right?

I don't think you'll fit one flat in those. I can't say I ever tried with my mom's '02 EXT but I don't think it would be wide enough.

If you just want it to be in the vehicle, then probably.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Plowing was just an added bonus that I'd use a few times a year. .

don't do this, its such a loving pain in the rear end to daily a plow rig

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Unless you want to become Mr plow, just pay someone to do it for you, or do the alternatives like you mentioned. Get a decent kawn tractor with plow/thrower or a walk behind.

It's a huge pain to hook up a plow 5-6 times in a year, and just as much hassle to daily a vehicle with a plow attached to it.

If you really want a plow truck and only plan on using it for your own driveway, get a 500 dollar beater truck and post a thread in ai about how this fuckin piece of poo poo won't start and your driveway is covered with 2feet of snow.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Yeah I always think of the cost of ruining a good vehicle/transmission to save a few bucks vs hiring plow service or putting it on an ATV. I'm THE do it myself guy and there are some things worth hiring out. Not only do you save your expensive daily driver vehicle but also the time spent outside in lovely weather clearing your driveway.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

wesleywillis posted:

Unless you want to become Mr plow, just pay someone to do it for you, or do the alternatives like you mentioned. Get a decent kawn tractor with plow/thrower or a walk behind.

It's a huge pain to hook up a plow 5-6 times in a year, and just as much hassle to daily a vehicle with a plow attached to it.

If you really want a plow truck and only plan on using it for your own driveway, get a 500 dollar beater truck and post a thread in ai about how this fuckin piece of poo poo won't start and your driveway is covered with 2feet of snow.

lol, thought of doing this too. I get it, I won't bother with the plow.

People really don't like trucks though?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Too many people like trucks. I mean, have you looked at the pricing on pickups?

They aren't particularly good commuter vehicles. They are too expensive for occasionally using them for truck things when a trailer or a $20 home depot rental a few times a year would suffice.

But if what you want is a truck and you can afford one, go for it. It's just not a great choice in my opinion. All of my "truck things" are much better handled by my 6x10 dump trailer. I'd never go back to a pickup again. It's bigger, it had better tie-downs, you don't have to shovel things out of the back of it, it's got ramps so you can drive mowers and stuff up on it, etc.......

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

But could the person behind you literally see the car in front of you through your lifted suspension if your black exhaust smoke didn't completely cover their windshield as you rapidly accelerate from 20 under the speed limit to 20 over and back?

Didn't think so, scrub :colbert:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

touché

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Actual construction is accomplished by vans and designated delivery vehicles like box trucks or flat haulers. We all make fun of newbies financing a $45k truck and then trying to figure out how to attach 12'-16' beams or pipes or ladders. Although your single cab 8 footer will go pretty far with capo and/or roof racks.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

I love trucks. I bought one ostensibly because it will be helpful in trying to get my stupid house fixed and gives us the convenience of having a second vehicle for our household, but the truth is that I just really wanted one, am at a point in my life where I can responsibly afford one, and having had grown up with trucks always around (and driving them since age 12), I missed having one around. In the strict sense of the word, I didn't need it. We'd been doing just fine with one car and I could have kept renting Uhauls and poo poo. Still, I've used it for plenty of truck things already, and it's an excellent road trip vehicle (super comfy and quiet, we can haul around a ton of poo poo with us, and by truck standards it gets pretty decent mileage). Sucks driving to work in an urban area though. Doesn't fit well in many parking lots/garages or on narrow streets, etc. Luckily I only go in once or twice a week at most.

As for dump trailers, they rule. However, I do not have a garage or even off-street parking at my house and therefore have nowhere to stash a dump trailer and nowhere reliable to stage getting it hitched up.

Nitrox posted:

Actual construction is accomplished by vans and designated delivery vehicles like box trucks or flat haulers. We all make fun of newbies financing a $45k truck and then trying to figure out how to attach 12'-16' beams or pipes or ladders. Although your single cab 8 footer will go pretty far with capo and/or roof racks.

My neighbor is fixing his house out of his old-rear end Sienna with the seats taken out and it's an excellent construction hauler.

So in conclusion, trucks are cool and sometimes useful/convenient, so buy a truck if you want one.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Trucks are stupid for 99% of people who buy them. For that 1% a bunch of them would be better served by a car and a 30 year old ford F150/250 with the inline six that gets 200mi per year. (Assuming rust is not a thing where you live)

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Do you guys not get vans? If I was renovating or whatever I'd definitely spend 3k on a Sprinter and drive a car I actually like.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

knox_harrington posted:

Do you guys not get vans? If I was renovating or whatever I'd definitely spend 3k on a Sprinter and drive a car I actually like.

Americans don't really buy panel vans or cargo vans even though they are more practical for moving stuff than a pickup truck. The reason why Americans buy pickup trucks usually doesn't really have much to do with their ability to carry stuff.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I BOUGHT A TRUCK BECAUSE I NEEDED TO MAKE MY DICK BIGGER! ITS SO SMALL I CAN'T BEAR IT!!!!!!!
Except I bought a Tacoma instead of a GEEE EMM CEEE 95000 so looks like I'll be getting cucked again on a daily basis.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

knox_harrington posted:

there are lots of vans but normal people don't really buy them. businesses and tradespeople do, though.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I still say that an actual longbed small pickup(Ranger, old school taco, S-10, etc.) is the best all-round daily driver/work on your house/haul poo poo around vehicle. My Ranger has a seven-foot bed, so eight-foot poo poo doesn’t even hang over the tailgate, a 1500lb capacity, and drives like a car. Just whip that little bastard into parking spots, jump in and out of it without steps/running boards, and it handles nicely without that constant ‘am I going to fit?’ mental gymnastics thing going on.

Unfortunately, you can’t get anything like that anymore. :( gently caress the whole ‘surburban penis enlargement’ mindset and ‘WE NEED TO PUT THE WHOLE loving BROOD IN A PICKUP AT ALL TIMES’ trend.

Rant over.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
The ideal automobile is a brown station wagon with a manual transmission

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

If you only buy a small truck, you obviously enjoy having someone else fornicate with your significant other.

It's a pi-cuck truck.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

parking next to a 5 ft bed tacoma with my 6ft bed tacoma is like my strongest power move now

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

silence_kit posted:

That would be the minivan. Station wagons are too low, and you have to bend under the lift gate to put things in. Manual transmission no longer the fuel saving option, by the way.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

ethanol posted:

parking next to a 5 ft bed tacoma with my 6ft bed tacoma is like my strongest power move now

Maybe, but I got the factory lift on mine. :smugdog:

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

JnnyThndrs posted:

I still say that an actual longbed small pickup(Ranger, old school taco, S-10, etc.) is the best all-round daily driver/work on your house/haul poo poo around vehicle. My Ranger has a seven-foot bed, so eight-foot poo poo doesn’t even hang over the tailgate, a 1500lb capacity, and drives like a car. Just whip that little bastard into parking spots, jump in and out of it without steps/running boards, and it handles nicely without that constant ‘am I going to fit?’ mental gymnastics thing going on.

Unfortunately, you can’t get anything like that anymore. :( gently caress the whole ‘surburban penis enlargement’ mindset and ‘WE NEED TO PUT THE WHOLE loving BROOD IN A PICKUP AT ALL TIMES’ trend.

Rant over.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I reeeally wanted to like the (new) Ranger because an old school compact truck would have been just as useful for my hauling needs and much easier to maneuver in the city and street park. The dealership had a Ranger in their showroom and it was super chunky, with all the emphasis on the gigantic crew cab and then a dinky little bed. Super cab long bed Rangers were unavailable in my area, and even so, the new Ranger is big enough that you might as well just get the drat F-150 (which in turn is the size of an 80's F-250).

And even with the F-150, I lucked out finding a super cab medium bed nearby. It was one of three with that cab/box combo within a large radius, while there were mountains of awkwardly proportioned crew cab short beds for suburbanites with even less robust truck uses cases than me.

I mean, I definitely happy with the F-150. In addition to being able to haul around lumber/furniture/camping gear, it's an all around really nice vehicle for the money and a nice change of pace from my husband's base model compact sedan. Also makes my ladydick look bigger.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I love, love, love small trucks, and my dad owned both compact and full sized trucks all his life, always with a standard cab and full bed, but that was done with the understanding that my mom had a car for carrying the whole family.

My point being, it's hard for someone with a family to call a full bed compact truck the best daily driver if the family doesn't also have a whole other vehicle.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The Hyundai Baja Santa Cruz is pretty cool for a small truck. Short bed, but whatever. The tonneau is super slick.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I think they're ugly, but that's just my opinion. If they sell well then i bet along with the Maverick, maybe we'll see a resurgence in small trucks by other manufacturers.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Man, didn't mean to open a :can:

I just thought this would be a good place to find out which trucks have like better values than others. "Stay away from Dodge, the transmissions in 16-18' are awful" kind of thing. Or F150's give the best bang in the used $20k range... idk.

The advice on plows and trailers is well taken, and my current Telluride fits the need for the family car, as well as being a really drat nice car. It also has a tow hitch (but I'm hesitant to use the nice car to tow things.)

I've never had a truck before, and I'm not dead-set on getting one now. It just seemed like it would hit a lot of convenience boxes for me, and I can afford the extra cost. Everyone I know that has a truck swears by them. (Admittedly half of that crowd don't really use it for truck things, so like was also said... idk why they even have one.)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Trucks are a fashion accessory and hit the same nerves in the thread as "I need an SUV because I might see snow occasionally."

As long as you're honest about "I want a truck because I like think trucks are cool," we'll tell you to go buy a truck. But we're going to be upfront that they're not actually that practical except as a secondary trait next to the fashion item thing.

Pretty much everyone in this thread has had an impractical / "I want it" car at least once (and a few of us crazy people have many), so no judgement if you want that. Just don't try to justify it to yourself as a necessity instead of a luxury - that's how people end up with things they can't afford.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 27, 2021

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

not sure you asked about brand v brand originally, but having just bought a toyota truck I will offer my biased opinion. domestic midsizes are a worse value than toyota imo once you put options on the truck. then you factor in reliability and it's a clear winner for me. all brands are extremely low stock, so don't expect to get any great deals on any of them. if you can't choose one, drive them all.

not going full size was a simple decision for me, a full size is $10-15k more unless you get a work truck and compare it to a decently optioned tacoma in which case they are similarly priced around 40k. Again, if you trust the reliabilty of domestic or just don't care about that, then the top 3 dodge, ford, chevy are all pretty nice, look good, and drive well. If you're towing over 6k lb, then it would be an easy decision for you as well, because midranges aren't going to handle well near 6k and won't at all above that.

a new tundra is coming out this year also.

used pickups are a nightmare market, if you're ok getting a high mileage truck for over 20k, have at it. If you want a low miles pickup they're going to cost about the same as new. yes, it's insane.

my last car was a miata so truck life is quite different for me, and only possible because I make more money now and I have a direct purpose at work to use the truck for. It is still an extravagance, no doubt. Gas is insanely more expensive. However I really love driving it (barring the 12 point turns needed to park), and the utility has been A+ so far

also in the unique situation of owning a 2 door and a 4 door in the same model year because the first was wrecked, I think I would not go back to 2 doors at this point.

if you don't care about offroad buttons the tacoma sr5 is really nice

ethanol fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 27, 2021

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Whoever said old Ford Ranger drives like a car needs to go out and drive more cars. Or trucks or something, anything. JFC, dude

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

They probably meant easy to park and cheap on fuel.

My work had a............ 99(?) Mazda b3000 and it was definitely truck like. Come to think if it, it was lovely on fuel too. Not t awful to park most of the time though

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah as someone who is very bad at parking or maneuvering larger vehicles in general, an old Ranger is carlike in that respect. Also, considering how uncomfortable I was taking my '95 F150 into parking garages, any F150 or above made in the last 15 years is a solid no go for me personally.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I took my first long truck trip into downtown boston for the red sox game last week. all in all it went pretty smooth except for when I didn't realize the 3 mile long line was for my exit and I got forced off into a bunch of clogged streets (I started to drive elbows out a bit more after that..). I did reserve a spot in a garage that was clear about being spacious two days in advance though lol. The backup camera makes tight parking the long truck so much easier, I can see the end of the bumper so it's quite clear if I'm running out of room.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

I've never had a truck before, and I'm not dead-set on getting one now. It just seemed like it would hit a lot of convenience boxes for me, and I can afford the extra cost. Everyone I know that has a truck swears by them. (Admittedly half of that crowd don't really use it for truck things, so like was also said... idk why they even have one.)

I think the convenience angle is a good way to look at it. If you want and can afford the convenience of a truck, then why not buy the truck? It's just important to remember that for the vast majority of people it's not necessary and merely provides luxurious convenience of not having to reserve a Uhaul truck/van and fill out the paperwork and grab the poo poo you need to pick up and return the van but not before stopping at a gas station refilling the tank to the exact level it was before and then go back to the place and retrieve your own vehicle and finally go the gently caress home.

I think people swear by them because when a proper truck use case does arise, having a truck immediately on hand is extremely convenient. You get really spoiled to it (I know I did, which was a factor in me wanting a truck). Also trucks are cool and modern trucks are overall really nice vehicles. My truck is an XLT (second lowest trim) and it's a goddamn luxury spaceship inside (or maybe my perception is skewed because the luxury features in the last Ford truck I drove included air conditioning and FM radio).

As for how the old Ranger drives, I don't recall that I've driven an old Ranger in particular, but I've driven trucks ranging from a heavy duty extended cab long bed diesel monster to a bitty little Datsun and the smaller ones are much more car-like in how they handle. The ride is still very much truck, but handling is much easier and more familiar to anyone used to regular cars and not giant trucks.

The opposite can be said about my parents' late 90s S-class dictatormobile. Fucker might as well be a truck given its size and weight and RWD. It's super smooth and handles very nicely at high speeds though.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

silence_kit posted:

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

I was more thinking this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/article/cars/half-ferrari-half-jeep-jerrari-might-be-worlds-first-suv

I'm going to stop making GBS threads up the thread now