Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

thekeeshman posted:

So I have a question about buying v leasing:

My sister lives in NYC and gets around using public transport, does not currently have a car. She's doing her psych PhD and for her 1 year internship was assigned to a hospital on Long Island that she will have to drive to, and therefore will need a car. However she has no idea where she's going to end up after that year and would prefer to live car free in general. The car itself will most likely be a prius or comparable driving appliance. Would this be a good case for a 1 year lease or is it better to buy and then resell after a year?

There is no such thing as a 1 year lease to my knowledge. The depreciation in the first year doesn't make it cost effective at all. 24 month leases are a thing, but the majority of leases fall somewhere between 36 and 42 months with 36 probably being the most popular.

I would buy a good used driving appliance, use it for a year, and odds are you can sell it after a year for what you paid for it or just a little less. Something in the 5 to 7 year old range works best for the "use it for a year and then sell for almost what you paid" scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You can pick up remaining leases on various forums. I think leasehackr has a section for it. I’d consider that as well.

Corolla hybrid is 1350 premium on a 21,7 car. Payback is a bit better than I thought (call it 50k miles assuming buying cash) but its still a fair amount more money to finance and pay tax on. Not sure it’s worthwhile if you’re doing like 5-6k miles a year.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
If you can find a Corolla Hybrid for $1,000 more than the same non-hybrid Corolla then you should buy it and not the non-hybrid.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Throatwarbler posted:

If you can find a Corolla Hybrid for $1,000 more than the same non-hybrid Corolla then you should buy it and not the non-hybrid.

That's the sticker and I would presume invoice price difference, is there any reason not to expect prices to head there long term?

We've never bought Toyotas but always look at them and on the base models, sticker price is the price so I'd assume that they both go for exactly sticker. I don't see any dealer markup on base Corolla Hybrids near me either, and they have ADM on all the TRD fancy stuff and every Tacoma.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I don't know, it's probably region dependent. I know it's still difficult to get e.g. Prius, RAV4 Prime, Sienna Hybrid without markups, which is why I am saying that if your OTD price for the hybrid is really only $1k more than the non-hybrid then the hybrid is probably the better buy.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Looks like very generally the markup isn't too bad. Idk about availability though.
https://www.truecar.com/toyota/corolla/#trims

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Wow those are cheap. 30k chf for a hybrid here, which is $33k nowadays.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

knox_harrington posted:

Wow those are cheap. 30k chf for a hybrid here, which is $33k nowadays.

:goonsay: I disagree with you.

It doesn't seem that cheap to me because it's still a drat Corolla.

Obviously they are nice cars though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The man is in Switzerland, poo poo prices differently

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Some jabroni wrote off my 2016 Mazda3 Astina and there don't appear to be any reasonable replacements in Australia. As I'm searching around I have found some potentially bad ideas.

Whats the consensus on e82, f20 or f22 BMWs? I'm looking at either the 2.0 turbo 4 or the 3.0 turbo six. Sadly there aren't many manuals around, but I guess I can deal with an auto. They seem like a lot of car for the money?

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/?q...ort=%7eOdometer

Golf Gti 7 seem a little thin on the ground here and I don't love the way they look.

A Levorg or WRX is a maybe with the bonus of a few manuals being available for the WRX at least.

I don't want to look at anything too far over 100k km or anything older than ~2012. I have become used to the little mod cons like Radar Cruise control and carplay

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

$?

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Around $25k AU. I’d be pretty disappointed if I got less than that from insurance and I’ve got the screenshots to justify it

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The 2024 Lexus GX was just announced, it looks like they gave the Bronco treatment to the Series 70 Land Cruiser. Which is a big step up because the previous generation GX looked like warmed-over boomer trash.

https://www.caranddriver.com/lexus/gx

The base model ("Premium" trim line) starts at 60k and has a towing capacity of 8000 lbs, 4wd etc. This sounds like... not a terrible deal? Considering the base model is probably on par with (or exceeds) the mid range 4runner which is about $55k and the design isn't 15 years old. Assuming you can buy one without dealer markup. And it comes standard with adaptive cruise control. I can't tell if the base model comes with third row seating or not.

I see the 4runner thrown around here a lot but the price delta between midrange 4runner and the new GX seems small, and the average price of a new car is $50k so an extra $10k for a capable, largeish SUV seems not totally crazy.

Base uses: realistically, grocery store, daycare, drycleaner, airport, dad stuff I can't accomplish on a bicycle. Less than 8k miles a year.
Weekend uses: camping for family of 4, towing boat/trailer 2000 miles a year (I'm very aware of the "just rent a truck for the 10 times a year you'll need to actually tow"). Basically I want a land cruiser which is obvious overkill for these tasks but would probably just maintain and keep this forever*

I don't think you can even order them yet but there's a total of 16 posts in this thread for "lexus gx" so I'm curious about thread opinion before going down this road very much further

Motronic posted:

This is what I'm getting at. Without a description of what "off road" means and/or what was "beyond" this other vehicle I'm led to believe this is largely driving on fire roads. People are doing that and running way the hell out in the desert in crown vics and whatever random rental car they got at the airport without a bit of trouble or drama.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 9, 2023

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think it manages to be even uglier than the GX460, which was uglier than the GX470, which was also ugly. I say this as someone who owns and loves an '06 GX470.

For used SUVs the GX seemed like a no brainer cause they were often similar price to cheaper than equivalent 4Runners while also leading gentler lives. I think there are quite a few GX470 havers in the 4wd/offroad thread cause of this. New car prices seem completely bananas to me though.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I think I was always confused by the pricing because I assumed the lineup was RX -> GX -> LX, when the GX and RX were actually about the same price and bracket, just intended for different audiences, while the LX was a big step up.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 9, 2023

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
is there such thing as an open wheel car that's also easily registered and insured in the US? i wanna go fast and i wanna go dumb, but everything i look into (caterham, ariel, etc) are a bitch to register and insure in wa state.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sunk Dunk posted:

is there such thing as an open wheel car that's also easily registered and insured in the US? i wanna go fast and i wanna go dumb, but everything i look into (caterham, ariel, etc) are a bitch to register and insure in wa state.

Polaris Slingshot? Depending on state law it's usually a motorcycle, but it has two seats side by side and drives like a car.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sunk Dunk posted:

Find an old Plymouth Prowler.

Here's some to look at:
Wimmer-RST KTM X-Bow GT
Polaris Slingshot Grand Touring Autocycle
Vanderhall Carmel Roadster

I know nothing about registering any of them.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
probably look on the forums or communities for stuff like Cobra replicas or other kit cars. Laws on vehicle registration and insurance are set at the state level so there's no such thing as "in the US" in that sense.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

No idea what the laws are for those things in WA but I do see Atoms and Slingshots being driven on roads from time to time, presumably legally, in WA so it must be doable.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sunk Dunk posted:

Are you talking about actual UK-built "factory" Caterhams, or a locally-built kit car like a Locost? The latter would probably be much easier to register/insure than importing one from England. There have been fully federalized Atoms sold in the US as well, one of the few recent listings on BaT was in Washington.

Outside of that or the already mentioned Slingshot, you could go with a vintage hot rod where fenderless is already part of the look, at the risk of it also being massive boomer bait.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

IOwnCalculus posted:

Are you talking about actual UK-built "factory" Caterhams, or a locally-built kit car like a Locost? The latter would probably be much easier to register/insure than importing one from England. There have been fully federalized Atoms sold in the US as well, one of the few recent listings on BaT was in Washington.

Outside of that or the already mentioned Slingshot, you could go with a vintage hot rod where fenderless is already part of the look, at the risk of it also being massive boomer bait.

interesting

i found some additional info for anyone else that was curious -

quote:

Typically, it involves presenting an MSO (Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin) to a Licensing office, who then give you another piece of documentation, enabling you to schedule a Washington State Patrol inspection. WSP is simply verifying that the VIN on the chassis matches the VIN on the paperwork. After that, one returns to the Licensing office an obtains title/registration.

horseblow.avi
Jul 10, 2004

NEEEEIGHHHHH!
I’m looking for a replacement for my ‘04 WRX (not necessarily a hot hatch this time) as it’s getting up there in miles and I don’t want to get caught without a car and end up buying something out of desperation. The thing is I have some very strict requirements due to living in the mountains and having a narrow garage that I have to turn into. Basically, I’m looking for something that must satisfy these 3 specifications:

AWD
Around 70” wide (maybe could go with a sedan, but anything wider than 73” is probably a no go)
Manual or mechanical automatic (basically no slushboxes or CVT).

Would prefer a hatch over a 4 door or compact SUV, but I’ll consider anything that’s decent bang for buck. No longer has to be a performance model, but I realize most non-CVT (dammit Subaru) non-slushbox AWD cars are performance models. Car can be new or used. Budget is I guess near 40k if I had to, but would prefer lower 30k for new or around 20k for a low mileage (less than 40k - guessing base model Imprezas are the only fit here) used. Interested in any cheaper options if they exist.

Of the options that I know of:
Subaru Impreza/cross trek/WRX with only the WRX still available new with a manual.
Mazda 3 Carbon model or higher
Toyota GR Corolla
Kia Stinger (probably pushing it on the width/length. Will fit, but will be a pain to park it).
Hyundai Kona N (surprisingly small for an SUV)

What else am I missing? Which are the best bang for buck? Any models out there that fit my specs but I should avoid?

Thanks for any help.

horseblow.avi fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jun 13, 2023

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

horseblow.avi posted:

What else am I missing? Which are the best bang for buck? Any models out there that fit my specs but I should avoid?

Thanks for any help.

audi a3 with a tdi and quattro?

the TDI/awd/6spd combo is really nice, probably a few things available on that platform with it from Audi/VW/seat/Skoda in your size range

horseblow.avi
Jul 10, 2004

NEEEEIGHHHHH!

DesperateDan posted:

audi a3 with a tdi and quattro?

the TDI/awd/6spd combo is really nice, probably a few things available on that platform with it from Audi/VW/seat/Skoda in your size range

Huh, for some reason I thought the A3 quattro was priced over 40k.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

horseblow.avi posted:

You could get a CPO for a pretty reasonable price if you're close enough to a dealer. I've seen them in the low to mid 30s.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

horseblow.avi posted:

tbh I didn't know about pricing and availability for tdis especially manuals is tight (but there's a good reason for that, they loving rule) and if you can't find an a3 you might find a golf or similar that's largely exactly the same thing underneath the trim- there's a lot of cars on the MQB platform to choose from

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I think you could have gotten E90 3 series and E60 5 series with both x drive and a manual, did they make an AWD E60 with smg?

Acura TL with the shield grill could have had both shawd and a stick. There are maybe 12 in existence.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

assuming OP is in NA i am pretty sure the A3 never came in Quattro and 6sp, but the DSG is pretty decent and fills the criteria.

Other unconsidered options: Golf R, FoRS

If 2 doors is an option the E82 or F22 could both be had with AWD and a manual transmission.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

997 Carrera 4S

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I would also like a manual 997 for under 20k

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Finally a reading expert

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah pretty sure OP said $40k

In which case: 997

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Modern TC automatics are very far from slushboxes - the ZF 8 speed is phenomenal and if you're discounting cars that have one, I'd strongly consider test driving one.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

Modern TC automatics are very far from slushboxes - the ZF 8 speed is phenomenal and if you're discounting cars that have one, I'd strongly consider test driving one.

i feel like 8HPXX cars tend to be relatively big but taking a look at the list that would include the following theoretical fits:

A4 / A5 (just baaarely under 73" wide though)
Jaguar XE (just under 73" and also lmao)

horseblow.avi
Jul 10, 2004

NEEEEIGHHHHH!

Mustache Ride posted:

Yeah pretty sure OP said $40k

In which case: 997

Sorry, I guess I was’t clear enough because as far as I can tell, some of these suggestions like the 997, audis above the a3, golf R, or ford RS are over $40k new (I’m in the US). Near $40k for a brand new car only. Used, I want something low mileage closer to $20k. Basically I’m looking for best bang for buck here. I *can* spend $40k if I have to, but am perfectly happy buying a lesser vehicle for $30k (or less) new or $20k for used low mileage (under 50k miles).

Looking for any and all options, not just the premium models, but I do understand that a physical clutch +AWD usually means premium.

I should also note that the nicer the car the more paranoid I would be about it (i know I don’t have to, but that’s my personality). poo poo gets messed up here. It’s kind of nice if I have something I don’t have to worry as much about when driving on dirt roads with bushes and tree branches everywhere.

horseblow.avi fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 13, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I’m suggesting you buy any of those cars used

edit: except the XE that was a joke suggestion

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 13, 2023

horseblow.avi
Jul 10, 2004

NEEEEIGHHHHH!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I’m suggesting you buy any of those cars used

Ok, quick check on Craigslist does make it seem like there are a decent amount with low mileage yet older. I guess they are popular with people that don’t drive much since most of the compacts I am looking for seem to have a lot of miles on them quickly. Good to know.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

I'm going through with a purchase of a new Corolla at a Toyota dealership and I had a weird experience that I wanted to see if other people had heard of or experienced.

After calling around I went into the dealership that seemed like they were the least shady and put some money down to reserve one. The sales guy asked me if I was planning on financing or paying cash and I said I wasn't sure yet (almost certain I'd pay cash but I know you're supposed to keep that close to the vest because they may give you a better deal if they think you'll finance.) Toward the end he had me fill out a financing form with some basic info. I repeated I wasn't sure yet if I was going to finance or not and he said they have everyone who's unsure fill it out so they have it ready to go if I do go down that route, so I did - I figure it's their ploy to reduce friction to encourage me to finance when the car comes in.

Fast forward to today, I get the call that the car is arriving Monday so I should be ready to come in soon to finalize the sale. I ask the sales guy (same guy I dealt with before) for specifics so I can get my cashier's check as I've decided I'm paying in cash. He tells me that the dealership does not accept cash payment, you can only finance. What's more, they do not allow outside finance, I can only get a loan through them. I let him know that was not disclosed when we originally made a deal and was certainly not brought up when I mentioned the possibility of paying cash. He tells me to come down so I can speak to a manager.

The sales manager says they'll "make an exception" and let me pay cash for the sale. He points to my filled finance form as evidence that I wanted to finance. I repeated exactly what his sales guy had told me about just having one at the ready. In any case he is magnanimously allowing me to proceed with the payment method of my choice. In hindsight being forced to fill out the form feels like a setup.

Am I alone in thinking that's shady as gently caress and unheard of? Or is this the new normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's nothing but made-up horseshit that probably works enough of the time for them to justify pulling it every loving time they think they might not get that financing kickback.

Think about it - if they truly couldn't do anything but their financing, they'd gladly tank the deal at that point. The "exception" is you didn't fall for their ruse.

Always assume everything a dealership tells you is a lie and you'll be right nearly every time.