Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.
Hello! I need a car and would gladly accept some advice. Is there any such thing as a cool-looking station wagon?

Budget?
- Up to $16k.

New or Used?
- Lightly used.

Body Style?
- 4 door, hatchback/wagon. I am totally not interested in an SUV or minivan. A hybrid would be nice, or just something with excellent gas mileage.

Special Uses/Needs/Features?
- Must easily accommodate child seats. Must be able to fit musical gear (a hatch or wagon with foldable back seats would make this much easier). I want something very efficient but with plenty of cargo space. In addition, I would like it to not look totally derpy. So, basically a mom car that doesn't look too mommish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

This is great information; thanks! I'm interested in the Prius, but they're hard to come by in my price range. It also seems like people buy those and then drive the crap out of them, so the ones I'm finding tend to have a lot of miles. I was hoping that by the time I needed a new car, there would be more hybrids or all-electrics out. :lol: I loathe even paying The Man for gas at ALL when I feel so strongly about the horrors of fossil fuels. :( Realistically, I have to get around somehow, money is tight and I can't afford some fancy eco-car.

I'm worried about car seats and cargo space in the smaller hatchbacks, but we'll be bringing the seat (and possibly the baby) with us when we test drive. Rear-facing seat accommodation is a must, and my husband is over 6 feet tall. The car I'm replacing is a Saturn coupe, so I'm sure pretty much anything is a space upgrade. (I did have the 3rd door, though, and that was nice.)

Our mechanic buddy recommended the Matrix, but I wasn't thrilled about the fuel efficiency. Any thoughts about the Scion XD?

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

Wandered into a Toyota dealership, wandered out with a black 2009 Prius. It's awesome, and really, it's everything I want in a vehicle, hands down. Thanks again for the comments and advice! Funny that I really already knew what I wanted, but it was great to get further input.