Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
e: .

Defenestration fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
I live in Somerville (Boston) and have never owned a car in my life. Starting to think about whether it makes sense to buy one, mainly because Zipcar fees are a bummer when I'm driving out to the burbs and paying for it to sit 2 hours while I do trapeze class. I reverse commute by train and have no desire to drive to work so this will be an occasional errands and weekend outing car.

Proposed Budget: $5k? Is that reasonable? Not in a hurry to buy so I could save more.

New or Used: Used

Body Style: Prefer 4 door, smallish for street parking

How will you be using the car?: Driving to trapeze in the suburbs on weekends (summer only). Running errands places the T doesn't go. Buying cat litter. Running for the border when the Gilead republic eventually goes down.

What aspects are most important to you?: Standard transmission, good sightlines, cheap to own

My parents had a string of VW hatchbacks when I was growing up. I liked those. Not married to the idea of anything in particular, but standard transmission is a must. I learned on a standard and I prefer it.