Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Someone convince me not to buy a 2016 Passat 1.8t gas.

I found a certified used one at nearby dealer for 17k CAD with only 50k KM on it (about 13.5 grand USD and 30 thousand miles). All the features I want minus remote start. Does anyone know how much it costs to get one installed by the dealer?

I want to get rid of my current 2014 Impala V6 3.6 as even though its fun and full of features I've had a ton of problems with it and the seats are pretty uncomfortable.

I'd be saving atleast a grand a year on gas as well with the VW as I drive aprox 40,000 km a year.

I know I should buy a 2014 or so I4 camry or accord but they bore the hell out of me. Atleast with the VW I'll feel a bit more interesting.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Proposed Budget: 15-20k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: (e.g. 2 door? 4 door? Compact/Midsize/Fullsize Sedan? Truck? SUV?) 4 door car
How will you be using the car?: Commuter car. Has to fit two kid seats in the back. Big trunk is a bonus.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Needs backup camera, bluetooth, heated seats
What aspects are most important to you? I care most about reliability and MPG/maintenance.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mariooncrack posted:

Also doesn't include clutch. I believe he bought a manual.

FWIW I had the extended warranty on my Subaru. I sold it around 45k miles and the only thing I used the warranty for was lug nuts. They had to replace them putting the wheels back on.

How much difference is the new one vs a used one? If the other posters haven't convinced you that a VW isn't a good idea, at least consider a new one. It's probably not much more and you'd get a warranty.

https://jalopnik.com/stop-overpaying-for-lightly-used-cars-1828576980

I believe I looked at a ~55k 2015 Accord earlier this year for $15k USD. A Camry or Accord with similar mileage are both in your price range and would be better buys.

New Passat is 27k .2 year old used is 17k and thats without haggling them down more. I'd say thats pretty significant depreciation.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Buying a hybrid does not make sense for you.

Why no Honda Civic or Mazda3? Those are usually the consensus class leaders.

Is there a new production Civic that doesn't have an I4 turbo? Honda is having massive problems with the CRV and Civic turbos with having gas in the motor oil and they don't have a fix yet.

edit : You don't have a commute but want to buy a new car? Why.... Rent a car for your road trips and literally save 30 grand over 5 years.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm in the market for a ~10 year old used sedan for my now longer commute. For the past 18 months I've been driving a 20 year old truck, and it wasn't so bad when my daily commute was 8 miles, but now it's anywhere from 20 to 60.

I did some searching around me, and rather than any specific car/make/model, I found a used dealer that seems pretty good (at least as far as I could tell, I suppose they could have fake reviews,) and am looking for advice on what car from their inventory in my price range might be "best."

I'm not a car person, so I really have almost no preference other than 4-door, decent mileage (again, just compared to a 99 Mazda truck,) and not a POS.

The dealer is https://www.802autovt.com/, and of their inventory, I'm looking right now at just the ones that are under $4k.

Specifically, I'm deciding between the 2010 Mazda3, 2007 Civic (regular, not the hybrid, because I'm leary of a 10 year old battery), 2010 Focus, and 2007 Sebring.

The Mazda is winning, but I don't know why other than I guess I like the way it looks (and I suppose there's some nice symmetry in my existing vehicle being a Mazda.) The Focus is probably in last place...I had to drive one as a company car at my last job and it never really "clicked" with me.

From my (albeit limited) research, the Sebring could potentially have issues with the engine stalling, the gear shift being stuck in park, and the brake rotors being undersized that might have been taken care of from recalls/tech bulletins, but maybe not. But if they have been taken care of, then it's doing well in terms of cost.

Mazda3 should be ok if it wasn't ridden too hard. Check for rust.

Civic is the other good choice.

Avoid the sebring at all costs. And the Focus would only be a deal at 1000.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

There's a lot by me that still has a 2017 on the lot as a "new" car. How much can I attempt to leverage the old rear end badge and depreciation in offering for the vehicle?

I wouldnt buy it no matter the discount unless its seriously 40% + off msrp. Its been sitting unused for 18+ months. Thats terrible.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Malt posted:

Proposed Budget: 15k
How will you be using the car?: Long commute primarily. About 400 miles a week.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability and MPG

Trying to find a new car for my wife. Her commute recently became quite long and her current car isn’t agreeing with the change. I’ve only bought one car in my life and still use it 12 years later, so really don’t know what would be best. We live in Virginia so being able to handle weather is a slight concern for me.

What state are you guys in and what size of car does she prefer?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Malt posted:

Virginia. She wants something smaller I think. She linked me some of the cars she was looking at, Honda Fit, Mini Copper, and a Chevy Spark all of which seemed on the smaller end.

The mini is very very expensive to maintain and fix {think BMW parts). The chev spark is nearly one of the worst of its class as well.

My recommendation is to get a compact car over a subcompact like the Fit, assuming she is as comfortable driving this size. It will keep its utility for longer and be much more comfortable if you do have passengers in the vehicle. Also its not that much more money. Anyways, here are cars I'd consider if I was in your shoes, all of them are reliable and well rated choices.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/751078493/overview/
2016 Civic

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/749929966/overview/
2015 Corolla

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/751434401/overview/
2017 Elantra

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Malt posted:

Seeing some hybrids falling into the same price range as these in our search which seems odd.

What that be worth looking into or would it be better to stick with something along these lines?

What year and what brand? I'd avoid older honda hybrids and nissans period.

Camry hybrid or Prius? Jump on board! Those are great choices.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If you have 80 grand to spend you absolutely should be considering E-class, S-class (YES YES YES) and GLE / GLS suv. Go to the benz dealer. You will not regret it.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ScooterMcTiny posted:

I have a specific car feature question, apologies if this isn’t the right thread. I rented a Volvo XC-90 a couple weeks ago, and their adaptive cruise control/lane assist feature was a real game changer for me in California highway driving. Are there other manufacturers with similar feature sets I should be looking at as I dive into new car research?

Many,many manufacturers have adaptive cruise control now. More than half of all the big companies offer it. Its offered on some inexpensive cars now too , like Honda Civics or Hyundai Elantra,etc.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 23, 2018

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EvilMerlin posted:

Dead? says who?

The claim is a valid one. Diesel is more efficient than gas, thus less fuel will be burned per distance traveled. Thus less emissions.

I don't think you realize how little you know about diesel vs gasoline engine emissions.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EKDS5k posted:

I'm looking to replace my 03 Forester as this is the 4th time in 9 years that it's blown a head gasket. DD to and from work (50km round trip), very occasionally haul the kids in it. Does anyone have any opinions on this car? It seems like a good deal, but is that too cheap for a 2013 with that low mileage? I've bought from that dealer before and they're definitely on the shadier side of things. Or is there a good reason for that model in particular to be so cheap?

The 2013 focus has a bad reputation because that gen had GARBAGE auto transmissions and a major recall. So overall the focus brand is cheap on resale market. You picked out a manual which are hard to sell. But this is still 1-3 thousand under regular market value for that km. I am wondering if its possibly a former rental or even had major work. Ask for the carfax.

Compare to other prices for same car..

https://www.autotrader.ca/cars/ford...=advancedSearch

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Fiat 500 is maybe the 20th best subcompact car on the market today.

There are about 21 in the category.

The only thing it has going for it is being stupid easy to park because its dangerously undersized, and its gets bonus points for being "zany and european" but really its just Chrysler poo poo.

Good small cars you can buy for around 20k

2017+ corolla
2018+ Any civic that doesn't have the turbo engine
2016+ Mazda 3
2018+ elantra

Good small suv things that will cost more like 25-30k
Rav4
CRV
Sante Fe

If you find you are more comfortable in the snow in a fake suv thing, I'd buy a RAV4.

But I've driven in DEEP snow in a corolla with good winters and driving appropriately and never got stuck or driven off the road.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the 500 abarth is still really fun to drive, cheap, very small, and interesting, and a logical thing to cross shop if people like the way MINIs look

The 500 abarth is another one of those goon love it cars that the general public doesnt care about and is probably a terrible choice for 99% of "non-car" people.

Dont buy a fiat goon wife.

And I wouldn't buy a focus/fiesta either unless they have somehow improved their auto transmissions as it was looking like it was close to a class action against them for how lovely they are.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If its possible for anything to be worse than a 2018 chrysler it just might be a 2007 Italian car.

edit : not to be all "gently caress the 500" but I could literally name 100 cars I'd recommend you buy before a 500

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ah I didnt see the poster mention the wife wanted a manual so I assumed like 95% of car buyers she'd be looking for an auto

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Throatwarbler posted:

You also recommended a Hyundai Santa Fe which is a 3 row SUV the size of a Ford Explorer when she wants something easy to park with good visibility. I feel like you're bringing a pretty low level of information to this question.

Sorry I meant Hyundai Tucson. I know from my experience talking to people shopping cars in Canada if they express a worry about it being good in the snow, they often want a small or mid size SUV.

And am I wrong but the Sante Fe is a mid size suv with option 3rd row seating in the "XL" model?

Either way Hyundai makes good cars and a good value for their SUVs compared to the big names.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 6, 2018

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

shovelbum posted:

How terrible are Chrysler cars these days, actually? Are we talking "falls apart immediately" or "only makes it to 200k vs some goon darling that lives for a million miles *drives off in ancient land cruiser*"

They are consistently rated in the bottom third or bottom quarter of manufactures by every big name in the car review business, whether its consumer reports or car and driver or whatever.

They have improved (slightly) in the past 5 years, but the previously emerging brands like Kia/Hyundai have improved far, far past Chrysler. Not to mention brands with previous history of poor reliability like Lincoln / Buick / Volvo and a few others have improved quite a bit as well.

In 2018 nearly all new cars are "reliable" compared to a new car purchased in 1995 or 1985. Its pretty hard to get stranded on the side of the road anymore. A lot of the difference in the brands is which one will have more errors on the infotainment that freezes your podcast or not. Each brand has a few good cars and a few bad cars. Even titans like Honda or Toyota have a few lemons or close to in their lineup with bad engines or severely outdated models, etc. I can name about 10 models of cars from great brands that have terrible reputation because of a common fault.

Chrysler only redeeming models are limited run enthusiast deathtraps like the Hellcat. Some Jeep SUVs are ok. The RAM trucks are ok when compared to other american trucks, but thats only because american trucks arent that great anyways compared to passenger cars.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

nm posted:

Basically only buy FCA cars that are so cool you can deal with poo poo breaking.
Like a hellcat? Yeah. A dodge journey? Hahaha.

Its pretty amazing the dodge journey went from one of the best selling cars in Canada to a phantom in just a few years. Tons of Canadians traded in their old dodge caravan and thought they were getting this cool little suv thing instead. Turns out almost all of them were off the road after 5 years because the Journey was one of the worst modern vehicles ever made. But people couldn't resist it for 22k CAD out the door when the RAV4 or similar was like 27k

I see more 90s volvo station wagons on the road today than 2010 dodge journeys

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Throatwarbler posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Journey#Sales_global

I have a real soft spot for the Journey for sentimental reasons and I think I'll pick one up once I get settled and make my first big paycheck next year, and start thinking about another kid.

Dont do it. Its pretty much literally the worst model in its class. Unless nostalgia will hold you over while it ends up in the shop every 3 months.

https://www.consumerreports.org/new-cars/10-of-the-lowest-rated-cars-for-2017/
https://bestlifeonline.com/worst-cars-30-years/

"2016 Dodge Journey
Fitting that crappy and forgettable car brand Dodge ends this harrowing automotive journey as they have racked up quite a number of “worst” cars over the years. This dated and rough SUV is filled with old tech that works OK, but feels unrefined and has already been singled out for below-average reliability. The base comes with a 173-horsepower, 4-cylinder engine, which God help you if you attempt to haul the seven passenger maximum."

"On paper, this midsized SUV may sound compelling, but in our tests we found that the Journey has a confining interior and lacks agility, and the V6 delivers the worst fuel economy in its class. Plus, it suffers from below-average reliability and poor performance in IIHS small-overlap frontal crash tests. Even though it rides well and has a relatively quiet cabin, families may be deterred by the snug third-row seat. The Journey is late in its model run, with discounts commonplace. But don’t be tempted. This low-rated model is a poor value anywhere—even at the airport rental lot. "

Also on the worst cars list : Fiat 500 as worst compact car

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DarkSol posted:

Need recommendation

My current car is a 2010 Camry. 100k miles, so I drive a bit. However, I'm leaving the country in just under two weeks and I frankly don't know if my car can deal with Canadian winters. So, I'm selling my car to my parents for a song, relatively speaking. And I'm looking for a nicer vehicle for me. I'm moving from Virginia to Nova Scotia, so while I've driven in snow before, probably not the amounts that Canada will surprise me with. I've been eyeing (and test drove) the Volvo XC40, but with potential availability and reliability issues, I don't want to rest on my laurels for exactly that, if I'm either going to have to wait months for the vehicle or I'm potentially buying a lemon.

(I'll have a rental car for several weeks so while I need to look at cars "quickly", I'm not in an insane rush to get one right now.)

Proposed Budget: $0-$35K USD.
New or Used: Either.
How will you be using the car?: Commute to and from work, maybe some exploring around Halifax and the rest of Nova Scotia, but nothing "off-road."
What aspects are most important to you? In order: 1) Reliability 2) Comfort 3) Space 4) Everything Else.
Body Style: CUV, Sedan, small SUV. No coupes, trucks or behemoth SUVs.

I know I am beating a dead horse but the Camry would have been fine in the snow. I've driven one personally that was the same model year and driven through terrible snow storms. The only real advantage a SUV or 4WD have is for getting OUT of ditches. If anything, cars tend to stop quicker than truck/SUVs in the snow. The only time they are better at getting around is when there is 6 or more inches of snow on an unplowed highway, and in that circumstance, stay home.

That being said, if you want a little SUV/CUV you should go test drive a Mazda 5 and RAV4 and a Tucson. They are all great cars and all reliable. Maybe consider a Tiguan if you are ok with a bit more maintenance if you want to try something german.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thats a nice vehicle, hopefully you have many great years in it. Jeep and Ram will live on for another 50 or 100 years no problem. Chrysler cars, not so much.

Enjoy the jeep!

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jonny 290 posted:

Id like a giant 4wd truck in a good condition for 2 dollars

Man in my area, anything that can be turned into a work truck/suv with 4wd, even if 10-20 years old, even with 250,000 km+ , starts at around $8000 (if obvious repairs needed) and 10k if safetied and ready to go.

I'd say try your hand at Ford Expeditions I guess. I don't know how lucky you will be with a 4k budget to get anything that wont need a lot of work.

Nissan XTRAIL is actually a great mid size SUV from years ago without a lot of demand, so they can be found cheap.

Maybe try to find yourself a Chev or GMC fleet Tahoe or similar. Will be missing some holes and might have an old radio in it, but parts should be cheap at least.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You could probably find a used cadillac CTS or buick encore or lacrosse in that price range that would satisfy your "must have faux wood and heated seats" desire.

They are good cars. Not great but good. Gm parts are pretty cheap too. And there are so many off-leases you can find like a 2015 with 50k miles for like 18 grand.

But really if you want a hatchback for under 20 grands thats fairly new I'd go japanese for sure either Toyota/Honda/Mazda.

VW if you want to be a bit more interesting but they will cost you in the long run.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you can't get an AWD japanese hatchback/wagon that isn't a Subaru, and the interiors are all underwhelming. the encore is a CUV. the lacrosse is a sedan.

the CTS wagon is a decent idea but they stopped making it in 2014 and it sold like poo poo. I am in the absolute loving heart of GM/Cadillac CTS territory where i think the vast majority of CTS wagons were sold (SE michigan) and I see six on autotrader in a 50 mile radius. four of them are under 20k.

sorry i meant the regal or lacrosse. the encore is garbage.

and basically advice asker you will 100% need to forgo one (or likely two!) of your requirements of

- under 20k while being new or late model
-sorta reliable or inexpensive to keep
-nice interior with wood trim
-hatchback
-awd

So if you figure out two which of those 5 is the least important to you we could tell you which cars to consider.

I guess, the only way to sorta keep all these requirement is buy like a 2014 vw or audi but that is going to burn you in the long run if you have a tight budget.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 21, 2018

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
To start your research...

Mazda - fwd- CPO

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...ickType=listing

Sube - AWD - CPO

VW - fwd - CPO

Audi - AWD

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have to drive a 2 hour + commute day and night in terrible snowstorm conditions on a regular basis (Canada yay). With my job, I can't call in sick because the roads are bad as I work for an essential service. So I've driven in a LOT of really bad snow conditions.

9 times out of 10, I choose to take my FWD car with snow tires over my full size pickup with 4x4 and snow tires. Its easier to stop with a car versus a truck, and its easier to turn. In most dangerous driving situations, the handling of car makes it less prone to ending up off the road or in the back of someone elses vehicle. Once in a very rare circumstance (1 commute over 5 years) I had to take the truck because main roads were unplowed and there was aprox 10 inches of standing snow on the ground, so there wasn't enough clearance to drive a car. 99% of people should not be driving with the roads like that anyways.

The only real advantage a 4x4 (or truck etc) has in winter driving is if have to start moving from a complete stop on ice / heavy snow / uphill, and then its a bit easier. But with winter tires you can normally do it with a car aswell. Or if you end up in the ditch, you might be able to get out on your own with 4x4. But either way, you are already hosed.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
But to how it pertains to you buying a cheap reliable car, wanting AWD really bumps up the price and limits your options. Unless you are an RN or firefighter or whatever and need to drive through snow storms, I'd buy a good FWD car like a civic/sonata/camry etc. You will get a newer car in better condition with better fuel economy than a CRV/Rav4. Stay away from mid 2000s jeeps or basically anything but Honda/Toyota/Subaru for your AWD little suv choices.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nocheez posted:

I currently drive a 98 CRV with well over 200k miles. It has good tires, and a recent timing belt change with a full tune-up. However, some unlicensed rear end in a top hat hit me in the driver's door and I'm ready to replace the car. I've been driving it like this for 6 months so it's not unsafe, just ugly.

My wife has a 2017 Prius and I really like it. The only thing I'm worried about is losing some of my interior/cargo area because I mountain bike and do the maintenance crap around our home. I want to go test drive a 2019 Camry Hybrid because it gets nearly the same mileage and would be a little bigger.

Proposed Budget: Around $25-30k, would obviously like to spend less but I keep cars for a very long time and do my own maintenance.
New or Used: New preferably
Body Style: I love wagons, but sedans are OK. Must have a back-seat as I have an infant.
How will you be using the car?: General commuting, and I'll put a hitch on it so I can carry my mountain bike.
What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability, ease of maintenance, cost, and safety are all important to me. I don't need a ton of horsepower, but what I do need are cruise control, a decent stereo, and a comfortable ride. I have enjoyed Toyotas over all other makes, and absolutely refuse to get a GM or Chrysler. The Japanese are winning for a reason.

Any other cars you can suggest? I will likely be buying over the next month or two. I'm selling a rental home so I was hoping to wait until then, unless there's a screaming deal I can get.

I've seen a few 2019 Camry Hybrids listed for about $26.5k and that seems to be about as cheap as I can find.

Camry Hybrid or Camry I4 is a great choice. If you are happy with how it looks and drives and dont mind telling people you drive a Camry, do it. Its a great car.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Alizee posted:

Proposed Budget: $7000 CAD
Body Style: sedan or coupe
How will you be using the car?: Generally city driving with 1-2 people. Sometimes I do short road trips 2-4 hours. I live in canada, and winter driving is the norm. I like a good sound system but honestly just want a reliable driver. I drive around 15,000 km a year.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, minimal maintenance, cost
7k for a canadian car is really cheap to get anything that wont have problems. So you really will have to do your due diligence.

If you can drive manual
https://www.autotrader.ca/a/mazda/m...%204G9&sprx=250

Otherwise
https://www.autotrader.ca/a/chevrol...%204G9&sprx=250

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/hyundai/elantra/st%20catharines/ontario/19_10904220_/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&orup=9_15_17&pc=L1H%204G9&sprx=250

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/kia/for...%204G9&sprx=250

But really, make it 10k and you can get a good car that will last you 5-10 years instead

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Alizee posted:

Sorry for not posting, I don't drive manual. Thank you for the links you provided.

Is there any problem with these options?

So far friends and family have recommended this as the best option:
https://www.autotrader.ca/a/honda/a...%201E7&sprx=100
No accidents on it

Here's a few others
https://www.autotrader.ca/a/chevrol...%201E7&sprx=100

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/hyundai...%201E7&sprx=100

That Accord is suspiciously cheap for mileage/options/year. Might have been in an accident, make sure you get the CarFax and a private inspection. Also, those generation Accords with the v6 had a lot of tranny problems, so be cognizant of that. That gen accords ,especially the v6's , are closer to a normal car in reliability than a traditional honda.

I'd avoid the cruze turbo's and get a regular one instead. The natural life of the turbo gets into expensive range once you are going used, and the type of people that buy cheap chev turbos are not the people whose used car you want to buy.

The accent is ok, but if you spend a bit extra and get an elantra or sonata instead its a worlds better car.

2009 malibu is older than what I'd reconnmend, but they were a best buy back in the day... but still, rather up the budget and try to get a 2012 malibu if that is your thing.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
More cheap cars..

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/kia/forte/concord/ontario/5_41073855_20161212205855299/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&ursrc=ppl&sprx=100
Kia

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/mazda/mazda3/gatineau/quebec/5_41763993_20120117162530784/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&orup=1_10_10&sprx=100
Mazda3

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/chevrolet/cruze/gatineau/quebec/5_41671971_20110328072420126/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&orup=9_12_12&sprx=100
Cruze

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/toyota/matrix/gatineau/quebec/5_41399471_20180305205802592/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&orup=1_2_2&sprx=100
Matrix

In your price range I guess I'd buy the Matrix...

But if you somehow got to 10 grand there are a ton of cars that are so much better and will last way longer...

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/chevrol...=1_4_4&sprx=100
2014 malibu

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/toyota/...=2_2_2&sprx=100
2010 camry with under 100k km

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/mazda/mazda3/caledonia/ontario/5_38168138_on20080204112819796/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&ursrc=ppl&sprx=100
2014 mazda3

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The only exception to that rule is certain american V6 are actually pretty bulletproof. The ford truck v6s were great (NOT THE ecoboosts, the na). The GM 3.6 DI v6 is an amazing powerplant that is fairly bulletproof and used in everything from the impala to the camaro to some of their mid size SUVs.

The old gm 3800 V6 was a great engine for its time , powered the grand prix/buicks etc and was a workhorse.

The new Toyota V6 in their camry's looks amazing.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Alizee posted:

It's interesting you guys are mentioning this because the people I've been getting advice from one of which is a bus mechanic said the V6 was a benefit and to stay away from l4s :(

Is this an older guy? Cars built in the 60-90s , the v6 were generally more reliable, hardier engines. I'd say the inverse is true today, but its really a model by model, make by make basis. Even the "legends" of automotive reliablity have made a few stinkers.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Good luck on your car buying. I believe there are two class action lawsuits about that generation Accord as well. One for burning oil / high consumption and the other for chronic premature rear brake failure. So make sure those aren't a problem on that car...

Please read this "buying used" review before you buy one.. its just not a regular bulletproof honda like 95% of their other models.
http://www.autos.ca/used-car-reviews/used-vehicle-review-honda-accord-2008-2012/

Heres one for the accent too
http://www.autos.ca/used-car-reviews/used-vehicle-review-hyundai-accent-2012-2015/

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 6, 2018

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nocheez posted:

I'm in my late 30s and I've got a family, why would I care what other people think of what I drive?

Thanks for the input, hoping to get a test drive in the next week or so.

edit: shameful snipe

You'd be surprised the amount of people in their 30s,40s,50s, etc that will buy a piece of poo poo like a jeep patriot or a chrylser 200 because in their bizarro minds they think its cool, even though they know they are going to be money pits. (or not quite piece of poo poo cars that are fun but still money pits like a mini)

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Deteriorata posted:

How dare people buy cars for any reason other than lowest cost of ownership.

This is the car recommendation thread. Not sure what other type of critique you'd expect in here besides "whats the cheapest cost-to-own, safest and occasionally fun car". Anytime you can get someone that can buy a Camry and not be embarrassed by it is a good thing. There are so, sooo many rolled over chrysler into jeep loans out there where you have a guy paying 63k on a patriot.

edit: do you drive a jeep or a chrysler?

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 6, 2018

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Motronic posted:

You really think that's an effective way to recommend cars in all circumstances? That works for someone looking for a particular appliance, but there have been plenty of people looking for the right type of fun for them that have asked here and didn't have a budget of crumpled up dollar bills and pocket lint.

Of course it shouldn't always be the focus. But when you have someone asking for recommendations and cost-to-own and reliability are the most important factors, and they don't mind a camry, you tell them to buy the loving camry.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Deteriorata posted:

People buy cars for lots of reasons. This thread is to help them buy the one that best fits what they say they want. That's usually the cheapest or most practical, but not always. I have no problem with recommending a Mini or FIAT 500 if that seems like the kind of car a poster says they want. A practical car that you hate is a bad car for you.

About 95% of the time people are asking for advice in here, they specify reliability or cost to own as a main consideration. Recommending them a Fiat would be dumb. The rare posters in here that are more concerned with style or fun usually have a few cars in mind and we can point out what is recommended from there. No one is telling the guy who is obsessed with off roading to buy a corolla. Or they guy that wants to tour wine country with the top down a camry.

However the guys that want a good,reliable car are going to get recommended the same good cars nearly every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Alizee posted:

After days of debate and test drives and stress I decided to go with the 2011 Chevy Cruze with 45kms on it. 1 owner (older man), no accidents, good condition. Free snow tires on rims and they gave me the highest trade in rate for my car. (offsets their not amazing price) And for someone with bad credit that can't get a proper bank loan, this was my best bet I think. Snapped it up before anybody else could at that KMS.

Thank you to the people that offered me advice despite not taking all of it. I really appreciate it :) Hopefully this'll do me well!

For someone that is on a tight budget the fact you will have snow tires is amazing. Could save you and your families life someday. So even if you have some chevy problems, it doesn't seem like you made a bad choice. Hope you enjoy your new ride.