Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I hope this is the right thread for this:

I have a dealing with dealers question-- I had it narrowed down to the Nissan Juke and the Hyundai Veloster:
Nissan would give me $15,500 trade-in plus military discount making the Juke around $6400
Hyundai would give me $15,000 trade-in making the Veloster around $8700, I have the option of getting my husband to put his name on the car for a $500 military discount plus $500 loyalty cash but since he's deployed and I do not have power of attorney at the moment we can't do that (he had to ship off before we could finish the paperwork)

Do I have any shot in hell of getting Hyundai to match Nissan's offer? I'm going to go with the Veloster regardless because the Juke is ugly as sin but they don't have to know that. The one problem I foresee is that I stupidly forgot to get a copy of Nissan's offer before I left the dealership since the sales guy was ultra pushy and I just wanted to GTFO. Will they take my word for it or should I go back and get it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Motronic posted:

That's another red flag. If someone won't let you bring or bring the car for you to a mechanic of your choice for a pre purchase inspection just walk away.

Yes. A friend of mine bought a car from some random person on Craigslist and refused to get it inspected since the person "seemed trustworthy" and the car "looked okay" and the seller was in a hurry to sell (wonder why?!) and my friend didn't want to make them wait for an inspection. :rolleyes:

Guess who has to miss work or come in late at least once every other week because their car is a piece of poo poo?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Godinster posted:

Mini is absolute dog poo poo for reliability. Literally the worst car there is.

THIS THIS THIS THIS

I just ditched mine because the clutch went out at only 28,000 miles. Everyone I know who's had a Mini (4-5 people) had them die on them at or around 60,000 miles. I bought a Hyundai instead.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

IRQ posted:

And really, yappy rat dogs don't take any space that a CUV would help with. More cubic feet doesn't really matter for them, only lateral space, unless you plan on playing dog tetris.

I survived for a year and a half carting around two 40 pound dogs in a two seater Mini Cooper. Dogs really don't require a huge amount of space to haul around especially if they're BFFs with each other, unless you crate them for car rides in which case they would take up more room.

I'd also throw the Kia Sorrento into the ring, my mom's got one that she's had for a few years now and really likes; I think it's a 2012 model. Plenty of cargo space, comes with a ton of gadgetry, and isn't terribly expensive for what you get. Consumer Reports hates them for some reason but my mom hasn't had any issues with hers. My dad was super ultra anti-Kia when my mom was car shopping but now he likes driving the Sorrento better than his Inifinti.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

A Proper Uppercut posted:

So I'm going to be picking up a new car in the next couple months. I want to deal with a specific dealership, but they don't have the specific trim and color I want. Are dealer trades a big deal, or is it a pretty common thing? There's a dealership another 45 minutes away that has what I'm looking for.

It's really common. When I bought my car they got one in from another dealer before I'd even signed anything. Only issue you may run into is the other dealer not wanting to give up that particular car, but they can usually get their hands on the exact car you want pretty easily after calling around to a few places.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Old Man Pants posted:

I have an 05 mini with 60K on the clock, and have performed regular maintenance, and my only complaint is that sometimes when it's freezing outside the door handles stick. Is doom impending?

Everyone I know with a Mini had a fatal oil leak around 60k. Your car will not let you know anything is wrong until the engine seizes. One person caught it before the engine seized but the faulty part was so far back ordered that the car died before the part came in.

My '12 Mini's clutch went out at 28k so I ditched it since it was paid off and got something more reliable.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I had a Malibu as a rental for a week or so and it was godawful. Press on the gas pedal and nothing happens for about 3 seconds, making you look like that retard who isn't paying attention at every stoplight. God help you if you're trying to turn into traffic from a stop, you'll have to wait for a mile-long gap and make everyone behind you hate you.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Duct Tape posted:

Proposed Budget: About $20k-$25k
New or Used: New
Body Style: Preferably a smaller car with a hatchback. No real preference on 2 door vs 4 door
How will you be using the car?: Almost exclusively for driving to and from work, about 50 miles total per day on the freeway with about 50% stop-and-go traffic. Needs to seat two comfortably, and I almost never have more than a single passenger. I'll pretty much never need to haul or move anything with this car.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?: Yup. I'm a sucker for gadgets and a good sound system.
What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, MPG, comfortable ride

Leaning towards a Focus, Fiesta, or Civic. Thoughts?

Add the Veloster to your list. I just got a Veloster Turbo and I love it so far. Comes with all sorts of gadgetry and a really good sound system standard and gets really good MPG and has a really nice ride and handling. I've only put less than 4000 miles on it so far so I can't speak to long-term reliability, but it's a new Hyundai so it should be fine maintenance-wise.

That is assuming you don't have any issues with an asymmetrical car, apparently a lot of people don't like that. I don't mind, my only backseat passengers 99% of the time are my dogs so they don't care that they can only enter and exit from one side of the car and only roll down the window on one side.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Looking to replace an 05 Hyundai Tucson:

Proposed Budget: $25-30k
New or Used: New
Body Style: SUV
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver (short commute) plus hauling cargo and dogs around car
What aspects are most important to you? 4 wheel drive (living in the midwest, snow will happen), cargo space, comfort for long road trips, don't need a nav system but XM radio and an iPod hookup would be nice.

This is my husband's car and he's looking at CR-Vs or a newer Tucson right now but is open to suggestions of other medium SUVs to look at as well.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

nm posted:

You're shot changing yourself if you don't look at the new Forester. Pretty good fuel economy in the new ones.
The current outback is a bit long in the tooth, there is a new one in 2015. This either means you can get a really good deal on a 2014 or you should wait for the 2015s.

He's somewhat anti-Subaru, he says they're "grandma tanks". He could probably be swayed by looking at one in person though. I sent him a link to their hybrid SUV (Crosstrek?) and didn't really get a response.

I looked at consumer reports and they like the CRV, Mazda CX5 and a couple Subarus. We'll probably look at those plus a RAV4. We're not buying till later this year (September-ish) so we could probably swing a good deal on a 2014.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Suave Fedora posted:

I'm in a 2009 CR-V right now and am dying to get rid of it. The seats SUCK and feel like they were pulled from the Accords. I'm constantly shifting my legs around to get comfortable.

Good to know. I had an '04 CR-V and it was alright but it did get uncomfortable after a little while on road trips.

We've got it narrowed down to these five in no particular order:

Nissan Rogue SV
Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium
Honda CR-V EX
Toyota RAV4 XLE
Hyundai Santa Fe Sport

Anyone have thoughts on these? How'd you rank them from best to worst?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

BFC questions for this thread:

1. We're in a position to buy a car in all cash. Is there any reason we should not just sit down at the dealer and cut them a check? Or would financing part of it allow us to weasel our way into a better deal?

2. Would we get more money out of our old car if we sold it to Carmax for cash first instead of doing a trade-in? Or would using it as a bargaining chip at the dealer be more advantageous for us?

Assuming we don't hate it on a test drive, looks like we're getting a Subaru Forester. The salt chat from earlier in this thread has me a little worried about the Subaru since we're in the mid-west where it snows a lot.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

The trade-in is an 05 Hyundai Tucson with ~75k miles and a pretty beat up interior. We'll probably end up getting $7k out of it, $8k if we can drive up the price through pitting dealers against each other.

Should we just use the trade-in as our downpayment and pretend to finance the rest? We both have good credit so we can't fake them out with a really bad APR since we both qualify for pretty good rates (my current car is financed at ~1%). We're going to buy the car in about three or four weeks so we've got some time to do some pretty thorough research on TrueCar and such.

We don't have our hearts set on a Forester, so if we can get a really good price on an equivalent car like a CR-V or RAV4 from Honda or Toyota we might just go with that instead. It'll give us more leverage since we can seriously just walk out and actually go buy a car somewhere else instead of just faking it.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

TrinityOfDeath posted:

If any dealer tries this bullshit, call the police for a stolen vehicle, then leave that dealership and never come back. "Losing" a customers keys is disrespectful of a customer who wants to buy a product from you.

When I was car shopping for myself earlier this year the Nissan dealership tried to pull that poo poo on me. The guy kept "forgetting" to give me my keys back. One of the reasons I'm not looking at the Nissan Rogue this time around despite it fitting what we're looking for is because I don't want to have to deal with those shitheads again.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

spwrozek posted:

Just get you to stay, buy a car, make a bad decision, trick you, etc.

Some of the worst ones even hold the keys hostage, as in "you get your keys back when you sign to buy the new car" or "you don't need these anymore because you're driving home in your brand new car!"

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Keyser S0ze posted:

Carmax will always offer the lowest "fair" valuation as possible, as others mentioned. If you have space for the old car to keep it around for a few months put it for sale on Cars.com with a Craigslist ad pointing to the Cars.com ad. Expect some tire kicking and trolling but usually a nice person will find your car. In some cases it's easier to meet at the buyers bank who handles all the paperwork for both of you and either pays off your creditor directly or cuts you a check. Remember, in a lot of cases the dealers are making more money from undervaluing your trade-in and dumping it off on auction or selling it themselves so there are dollars for you to capture back with patience. People are lazy and almost always trade-in now it seems, so dealers are taking advantage of that.

Once you've gone around to a few dealers for test drives and targeted the type of vehicle and options you want - you can handle everything else via emails and maybe a phone call the day of pickup. You can also apply for a super low rate loan from places like Pentagon Federal that will overnight you a check to go buy whatever car you want. Even if you pay it off in full shortly after, it won't cost you but a few bucks in interest. Credit Unions have car buying services, Costco has car buying services, there are things like Carsdirect or even brokers that charge a grand or so to handle finding the car for you.

If you do end negotiating directly with a dealer, which you should do via email, always be armed with information and always go into negotiations with an "invoice up" approach over "msrp down" and be prepared to move on if they are a dick.

There is very little reason to do anything at dealers nowadays except show up, sign some paperwork, ignore all the undercoating requests and drive the gently caress off with your car. Hell you can even buy brand new cars from hundreds/thousands miles away and have them deliver it to your house on a flatbed now.

The interior of the car is pretty lovely and it's a fairly common car (Hyundai Tucson) so selling it privately for higher than what Carmax would give us would be tough I think. If the interior wasn't covered in mystery stains (I have no clue what they are. There are even stains on the headliner. They don't come out either, even with professional detailing) I wouldn't have a problem selling it privately, but I feel like if someone's looking at our Tucson vs another equivalent Tucson with a less lovely interior they're going to pick the other one every time and we'll probably get stuck with it for a while. Also my husband just wants to get rid of the drat thing and I'll have a hard time convincing him otherwise.

I'll do some dealer research and shoot out a few emails tomorrow I think. I want to go test drive the cars we're looking at but having to interact with car salesmen is putting me off the whole idea. The salespeople around here are exceptionally sexist and refuse to answer my questions about the mechanical parts because I don't have a penis therefore I can't understand such things so let's wait for your husband to show up, now look at this car over here isn't it a pretty color? It's infuriating.

To settle a dispute: there's no "break-in" period for your standard modern car, especially automatics, correct? My husband has been told by his father that you shouldn't drive a new car over 55 mph for extended periods of time for the first 1000 miles or it'll mess up the transmission. :psyduck: Is this a thing? I don't think it is. I feel like it was probably true something like 50 years ago, but is no longer the case. We're weighing the pros and cons of buying the car before or after a 12 hour road trip which is why this came up, his father is convinced it'll end up with us stranded on the side of the road with a busted transmission because we drove it over 55 mph during the break-in period if we buy it before the trip. We're leaning towards buying it after the trip, but for more practical reasons.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I test-drove a Versa a while ago and as soon as I pulled back into the lot I handed the keys back to the sales guy and went "dear god that was horrible" and walked out. It was that bad. At the time I was driving a woefully underpowered '04 CR-V and the Versa was even worse than that to drive power-wise.

If you're looking for cargo space the Honda Fit is marvelous. Otherwise it's a pretty average car.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Where are you applying for credit? Is the dealer denying you or is your bank? When I bought my first car at 22 fresh out of college with not much credit except a job offer letter the dealer wouldn't let me without a consigner but my bank gave me a loan on my own.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Just wanted to pop in and say that we got a Subaru Crosstrek this weekend for below invoice :toot:

We went in intending to look at the Forester then decided we really didn't need a car that big and liked the Crosstrek better. We looked at the CRV and the new Tucson too but Subaru blew them out of the water with the price. We ended up with the highest trim level (leather seats was a must for us because dogs) for less than the mid level of the other cars.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I have a friend who drives a Prius in Texas. Big diesel pickup trucks purposefully have run her off the road while billowing exhaust at her. This is actually a thing that happens.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

anne frank fanfic posted:

Thats never happened ever

It did, I've seen it. Never underestimate assholes in pickup trucks in bumfuck nowhere.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

So my current car is having some massive electrical problems that may be more expensive to fix than the car is worth. I'm still trying to see if I can get it fixed for a reasonable price, but I'm also considering just saying "gently caress it" and buying something more reliable. Current car is a Hyundai Veloster.

Proposed budget: ~25k max. Might be able to wiggle a bit if there's something 1-2k over budget but I'd like to stay in the low 20s.

New or Used: Preferably new

Body style: Small SUV/large hatchback/wagon. I don't want to be piloting a boat around but I want decent cargo room as well.

How will you be using the car?

I have a 40 minute commute to work one way. My commute is 95% interstate highway so I need something that has enough power to accelerate onto a 75 mph highway without feeling like I need to floor it or I'm going to get squashed by an oncoming tractor trailer because the car can't get its rear end in gear quick enough. Comfortable seats are also a must since I spend a minimum of 80 minutes a day sitting in it.

AWD since I live in the midwest and snow is a thing in the winter, plus I do a decent amount of driving on gravel/dirt roads.

I do competitive dog sports so the trunk has to be able to accommodate a 38" x 24" folded dog crate without folding down the back seats. Will also consider a 60/40 split back seat as long as one half gives me the space I need with adequate space for the dog in the not folded portion. Basically I want to keep the dog stuff in the trunk and the dog in the back seat. Can't really do this in my current car.

I am willing to drive a manual transmission if it'll knock the price down into my price range. Husband doesn't know how to drive a manual so he'll protest on this one but he can deal with it.

My office has electric car plugs so I could consider something electric or a plug-in hybrid, but that doesn't really jive with the rest of my wishlist. Putting it out there anyway in case there's a car out there that's big and electric that I don't know about.

Features I don't need: Navigation (that's what phones are for), fancy-rear end handling (my commute is literally a straight line across one of the flyover states), fancy A/V bells and whistles (all I need is the ability to play music through my iPhone 6)

Features I would like: Heated seats, backup camera, leather/ette seats if possible without getting the most high end trim package, keyless entry/start

Cars I am considering:

Honda Fit, Honda HR-V, Nissan Juke, Mazda CX-3. I'm just in the preliminary stages of shopping so I haven't gone and looked at any in person yet. I'm shying away from Subaru since we bought one for my husband and it's been an absolute poo poo heap of a lemon (naturally it broke a third time to qualify it as a lemon literally a week after the lemon law timeframe expired so we're SOL on that end) despite their reputation as "reliable".

My old 2004 Honda CR-V would be perfect (apart from the acceleration thing) but alas the new CR-Vs are now giant mom cars. RIP old style CR-Vs.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

AWD isn't a must but more of a "nice to have". I think it's on my mind because we've got lots of snow and ice on the roads right now and my snow tire-less FWD is having a hard time on some side streets that the plows kinda half-assed or missed entirely. Not really worth it for just a few months out of the year though, you're right.

The issue with the Subaru was a factory defect with the cam shaft, not us breaking the car btw. Subaru corporate had to get involved and we didn't pay a dime for it but it's still kinda soured me on Subaru since the drat car had to be in the shop for multiple days 3 or 4 times over the span of a couple months before we got it fixed for good (I hope). Also Subaru interiors are pretty cheap and lovely and not really something I'd like to sit in for my commute every day, but that's just personal preference.

Since buying the Veloster I've now met three different people with the same model year who all had electrical issues and ended up getting rid of the car because it was too expensive to fix. That is entirely my fault for buying a new model of car without any sort of reliability history. I'm still going to get a mechanic to look at it but signs are pointing to it costing $gently caress It so I'm working on a Plan B.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I would love a Volvo wagon because I am apparently actually a grandma but they're a bit far out of my price range.

Edit: our Crosstrek is actually classified as a wagon for insurance purposes

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

I had no problem finding a FWD CRV or CX5 when I was shopping them in 2013.

Also, how is the new CRV giant but the old one not? If the quick facts on Google are to be believed, the new one is an inch shorter, two inches wider, and five inches taller.

It is a total mom-mobile but that's what pretty much every crossover is because wagons and minivans are dirty dirty words.

Huh, maybe it just looks bigger because it's taller.

Like I said AWD isn't a dealbreaker I've just been enjoying driving around in the snow and ice with the AWD Subaru much more than my FWD Hyundai the past week so it's been on my mind.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

How's the cargo room in the Prius? I wouldn't mind a hybrid with my commute (~40 miles one way) but I do need some cargo space preferably without sacrificing the back seat.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Yeah with my commute adding at least 500 miles a week to the car it's right around 50k miles which puts it out of warranty for pretty much everything but the powertrain. I'm still getting a mechanic to take a look but from others' experiences with the same issues for the same same model year I'm headed straight down a very expensive hole that ends with replacing the wiring harness (a $5000 part by itself without dealer markup and labor) so I'm weighing my options of ditching it before I get too far down that hole while I can still get some money out of it or not.

Edit: I should probably add this car is entirely paid off

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Bovril Delight posted:

Are you the first owner? The Hyundai should go to 60k for the bumper to bumper and 100k for the power train. I'd imagine a wiring harness would be a power train component.

By the time the idiots at the dealer admit it's a wiring problem and not a battery problem I'll be over 60k, but I'm gonna try.

These chucklefucks took four separate tries to patch a hole in my tire (they even tried to return my car to me with the warning light still on and the tire pressure still low and claimed it was all fixed) so I'm not holding out much hope for them actually correctly diagnosing and fixing the problem on the first five tries and since it's a warranty thing I can't take it to a less lovely mechanic without voiding the warranty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I know it's not a "need to buy a new car now because this one is going to go up in flames" it's a "do I want to deal with this when I have the option not to" thing. Just keeping my options open in case it does end up being a major hassle.

Hell for all I know I could take it in and they could be like "oh yeah you've got a loose connector here" and bam solved.