Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Hello everyone. I find myself in a situation where I'm moving across Canada from Toronto to Vancouver in October, and am looking at getting a vehicle that can tow a Uhaul trailer full of my stuff. Once I get there, that vehicle won't be needed, and will either be kept for maybe a year as an occasional use recreational vehicle, or sold for something else. Given the price of renting a Uhaul truck, I can afford to lose several thousand dollars just buying it and selling it on the other end and still come out ahead.
My problem is, I know nothing about good towing vehicles. Decent fuel economy would be nice.
Proposed Budget: up to $20k CAD
New or Used: Used (might consider a two year lease, but that's probably not economical), 2007 or newer, ideally under 150k kms. Definitely under 200k.
Body Style: SUV, maybe pickup? Cargo capacity for the move is important.

I had a 2010 Subaru Forester a few years bakc, and while it could tow, it wasn't great. There are several large hills between here and there. The NA 2.5 would struggle.

Does anyone know anything about ~2010 VW Touareg TDIs? I hate diesels, but sometimes they can make a good case for themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

JnnyThndrs posted:

How much stuff do you have? The larger double-axle Uhaul trailers are fairly heavy(about 2Klbs unloaded); if you need that size, you’re most likely going to need a full-size pickup/body-on-frame SUV. If you only need the smaller single-axle trailer, you most likely can use a larger crossover.

Be careful when comparing ‘rated tow capacity’, many vehicles are(in my opinion) overrated because it looks good in advertising copy, and remember that capacity decreases when loading the tow vehicle with people and cargo. I used to drive big rigs across Canada from Manitoba to Vancouver, and the number of people I saw driving 90km/hr with white knuckles, trailer swaying back and forth, tow vehicle down on it’s rear bump stops, would surprise you.

Boxes, mainly. Not much in the way of furniture. Nothing particularly heavy, volume will be the driving factor for trailer size. I'm hoping I can get away with a 5x8 single axle plus what fits in the tow vehicle, but might need to go to the 6x12 dual axle one. I'll know once I'm packed! I'll be driving solo for most of the trip, and not hell bent on making the best time possible. 6-7 days should cover it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

pros: more reliable than the V10 TDI
cons: everything else

Yeah I don't know what I was expecting but that sounds about right.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nitrox posted:

Sounds like your best bet is to buy a 26 ft cargo truck and not bother with the trailer all together. But I question the logic of doing this instead of hiring a moving storage service like Pods. Or simply renting the 26' truck from a rental agency like U-Haul and leaving it at the destination. Unless you can somehow buy below market value and sell for more later, the entire plan hinges on you selling it at a certain price point.

A small Uhaul cube van is minimum $3500 one way. Add a car trailer for my Prius and about grand in gas and I'm in for at least $5k and I get a car on the other side. A mover wants $6k just to show up, and I still have to drive across. If I swap the Prius for a SUV, a trailer costs $1500, I burn probably a third less gas, I still have a practical vehicle on the other side (even if it isn't as fuel efficient as the Prius - doesn't matter since it won't see much use). If I lose a couple of grand on what I pay for it come time to sell, that's still a better deal than just handing Uhaul or a mover $5-6k. If I can sell it for more or less what I pay for it, that's essentially a free move (minus gas and accommodations).
Also, can't do moving pods as I live in a downtown condo.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm sure it depends on the city, but in my experience you can get a permit to park it in the street for a few days. If not, the pods can also be held at their warehouse and depending on how far of a drive that is, you could rent a truck and unload from there then take the truck to your apartment. We did that and while it was a pain to do an extra step of loading/unloading, it gave us a lot of flexibility during the move that made it worth it. Just something to think about.

I had considered that option, but that extra step in the logistics of this move really is difficult given the time restraints I'm under. There's no way I can get a pod plopped somewhere nearby for a couple of days. I do have a couple of other options worth exploring for the move, but that's a topic for another thread. I just want to know what sort of high quality tow vehicles would be suitable for this purpose and then see what from those options is for sale locally that matches the my budget.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I guess rather than "suggest a car" advice, what I really want to know is something like is a Rav4 going to do the job, or am I going to want something like a 4runner (or equivalent)? If it's a pickup, can I get away with a mid-size, or am I going to need a full-size? I'd like to avoid a huge V8 full size truck, so what are the models to look for in the smaller yet spacious, tow capable trucks? No need for 3rd row seats or any family friendly stuff, and a better, more comfortable space than the cab of a cube van to spend a week in would sure be nice.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll see what there is in big and biggish truck land. Hopefully with a cap or locking tonneau so that roaming beavers and vagrants don't rob me of my precious antique cans while I'm staying at the Four Seasons Lower Saskabush.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what's the opposition to a V8 anyway? it'll be a bit thirstier but realistically not that much, and they tend to be in higher demand when you go sell em

v8 :911: half ton will do very nicely and if it's pretty new, the interiors are quite good except the silverado and even then its not bad

Yeah, fuel ecomomy is the biggest part of it. If I'm getting the same fuel economy as a cube van, the numbers start making less sense. Plus given the price of gas in BC, keeping it for a while or finding someone who doesn't care is less of an attractive proposition (although I guess I could try selling it to Albertans). Also keep in mind, I drive a Prius right now. I can deal with doubling my fuel consumption for daily use, maybe triple, but quadruple is enough to make me balk.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 14, 2021

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

Understatement of the year.

Having driven across Highwood pass on midsummer day a couple of years ago through two tire tracks cut through two feet of snow, I find myself hesitant taking a sketchy Uhaul (or freshly purchased new-to-me) truck towing a sketchy Uhaul trailer carrying my car across the Rockies, in October. Especially knowing how sketchy Rogers pass can get. I did follow up on those moving cubes Uhaul do, as suggested ITT, and turns out you can load them at the depot, so a local rental and filling one or two of those is by far the cheapest and most sensible option. So thanks again everyone! Might sell the Prius before I go too, and just use car share programs out there as needed until we get settled.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

$17k at the most (for new)
$5k at the most (for used)
I'm in Los Angeles
Just looking for some reliable, controls well, and i'll mainly be using it for very local minor things (groceries, errands, etc.)/.

my car is (was?) a 2004 nissan sentra. think i'll get much at all from something that old?

New at that budget, you're pretty much just looking at a Hyundai accent, or KIA Rio, maybe a Forte with the right incentives.
Or Nissan sells a cheap Versa if you love Nissan for some weird reason.
Used, you could maybe stretch for a decent used Prius, but honestly just get a Corolla.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Get the cheaper one and spend the money you saved on therapy.
(this is 100% not snark)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sounds like I need to buy a car before the 8th of November when Americans can come up here and rob us blind of all our cars.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The Hyundai Baja Santa Cruz is pretty cool for a small truck. Short bed, but whatever. The tonneau is super slick.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

A few years back the Prius C was labelled by this thread as not good. Why was that? Is that still the case?

My partner is after a new car and the Prius C looks to be the go.

YIL that the Toyota Aqua was the number one selling car in Japan for 3 years in a row, selling over a million units worldwide. So, probably not bad.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Methanar posted:

hey this thread has a good OP.

Proposed Budget: 30-60k I guess?
New or Used: you tell me! Probably 2-3 years used just to not pay the NEW! tax. But also to be a nice modern car.
Body Style: 2 door, less is more.
How will you be using the car?: Honestly don't drive a lot. 100% WFH forever. Do not plan to be hauling poo poo around.
What aspects are most important to you? good fuel efficiency. Inexpensive to operate. I'm stingy and feel guilty about driving because GAS COSTS MONEY.
I'm thinking I'm going to want to start doing moderate road tripping, which is what's dissuading me from going full tesla.
Will be in the US.

I'm emigrating to the US in a week, so one of the problems is that I'm not going to have any credit history in the US. how bad is this going to hurt if I try to get a loan. I make a lot of money, but when I arrive in the US I'm going to have 0 dollars. I don't plan on transferring more than 10k either because 1)currency conversion bad 2) anti money laundering poo poo.

I've spent the last 8 years pretending I'm utterly impoverished and need to live on 15k usd a year. I'm tired of doing that and really don't need to anymore.
I want to strike the balance of owning something that isn't embarrassing, while not being extravagant.

Do I actually want a hybrid?

Toyota Prius Prime.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Hadlock posted:

We are moving to "the county" so we'll be needing a second car, but it's reliability is not critical as I am full time work from home and wife probably only goes into the office a couple times a week etc etc. We've lived with one car for six years so having a broken down classic car in the other garage isn't a big deal

Thinking about getting a 1940s or 1950s Citroen Traction Avant

https://bringatrailer.com/citroen/traction-avant/

Seems like a good nexus of moderate price, moderate to "good" reliability, and they made the car for something like 25 years continuously so parts availability is pretty decent, and mostly drivetrain compatible with Citroen saloons in the 60s, and of course, it's uniquely styled while still being a practical family car (once we retrofit shoulder straps)

Does anyone have experience with cars like these? I'm thinking we'd drive it once a week and put 1500 miles a year on it driving in town 10-45mph

Not in a huge rush to buy a second car but started keeping an eye on traction avants entering the market for something that just needs a good wax and probably a tune up

Fuckin do it, man!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

OTOH, a neutral coloured Prius is pretty much invisible to police.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Looking at 1950's traction avants in Europe still

Basically turn key models fall into two camps:

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1329402
Inline 6 3.2 liter 75hp with original exterior paint, $30,000,

Or,

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1323353
Inline 4 2.0 liter 46hp restoration, $20,000

Both cars weigh about 2500 lbs. 46 horse isn't a whole lot probably going to be driving with your foot down all the time. This would mostly be used to drive 2-5 miles to the grocery store twice a week and 10 miles to the beach via local roads once a month (0 highway use).

I guess, is the 2x horsepower worth the extra $10k? Presumably if I ever sell it (after importing it) I'll get the money back I paid for it. The inline six is inherently more smooth, and considerably more rare, I don't think they even offered the six until 15+ years into the production run (mfg 1936-1956)

Doesn't look like it's too hard to retrofit seatbelts/lap belts in these cars? Looks like I'm in another $200-500 add lap and shoulder belts to four of the seats

The inline 4, this one in particular, still has it's 6v system, so would want to put in a tiny 12v system (6v to 12v setup up inverter + 5aj lifepo4 battery in the glove box?) so I could charge my phone/put in a hidden stereo. 12v conversions are pretty common but don't want to have a surgery project for weeks right away

Even knowing nothing about Traction Avants, that i6 one is the one to get. One owner for the past 56 years, with decades of documentation, and that tidy underneath? Unless your intention is to beat on it, in which case get the cheaper one.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

This isn't directly a car buying question but more of a market one but looking at this graph - what is going to occur when the chip shortage does end and new cars begin flooding back into showrooms and dealers lots? Am I correct in my suspicion that we're going to see a ton of deprecation? If so, doesn't it just make more sense to buy new at this time or something pre-owned or certified? If do need a vehicle but want something that at least holds most of it's value but does is the generic recommendation still just a Toyota Camry or whatever Ford/GM 4-door Sedan?

Wow that graph does not reflect used Toyota values here at all.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Bubbacub posted:

I have never owned a car before, but I'm getting tired of renting / mooching off of friends.

Proposed Budget: $12,000
New or Used: Used
Body Style: 4-door
How will you be using the car? Weekend trips to the mountains in all seasons (Boston -> New Hampshire / Vermont / Maine). I bicycle commute when I'm at home so it's definitely not going to be a daily-use car. Will likely be using it to transport a lot of bikes and kayaks or canoes.
What aspects are most important to you? Don't need any fancy features, but having decent ground clearance to get down unpaved roads and reasonable handling in snowy conditions are definitely a priority. I'll definitely get winter tires.

I've seen some used Foresters that seem appealing just based on the northeastern flannel-clad lesbian stereotype, but I'd appreciate any other suggestions.

Hmm, how do you feel about boxy and utilitarian?
You could probably get a Honda Element for that kind of money. Those things were built for being stuffed full of muddy bikes, canoes and kayaks. I'm pretty sure you can hose out the inside.
https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ctd/d/wakefield-2011-honda-element-ex-awd-4dr/7431933954.html

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Good lord buying a vehicle through a dealer is a pain in the dick. I've been here an hour getting hard sold an extended warranty and watching a dude click a mouse and attempt to print out 10 sheets of paper half a dozen times.
Give me private sale any day. Here is the money, give me the car and a bill of sale. I'd rather spend an hour and a half waiting for my number to be called at the ICBC office getting plates than go through this bs again.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Keyser_Soze posted:

Double check all the numbers each time they leave the room and come back and try to get you to sign something.

The actual car salesman was a gem. The numbers were already agreed upon in writing and signed. The finance dude today though, he was a piece of work. His entire job was, as far as I can tell, to sell an extended warranty. He was told politely to pound sand, then firmly to pound sand, and then as we're waiting for the reg guy to get the plates, he comes out to the waiting room to try to explain why his foot is lodged so firmly in his mouth. Like, dig up, stupid! Can you not see every word that comes out of your mouth makes this worse?
But of course he could not, for if he could, he would not be selling extended warranties for a living.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Keyser_Soze posted:

Yeah, you also can get the thing were the sales person agrees to the terms etc and then the finance guy comes back with a different number (not by much like $1500 or something) and when you catch it says "yeah but this is my price!" :newlol:

They literally did this to my senior aged mother when we were trying to get her a used SUV a few years ago when I walked out to the parking lot to check on her dog. I come back in and I caught it - went in to the finance office and said, fix the numbers now please or we walk.

I suspect he was trying that trick on, showing me just a number on the screen which represented my monthly payment, which was not congruent with what I knew was the payment. Do a quick math on my phone to check what the number should be, and say "can I see how that breaks down?"
"Sure thing, in a minute, the bank paperwork is upstairs." Like, I watched you print the loving bank forms out 45 minutes later. Once you figured out how the printer worked.
I guess that was the test the waters number fudge to see what he could get away with before adding the warranty payment to it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The problem I always found with those lease takeover site is nearly everyone on there trying to get out of their lease also is on a terrible lease with lousy terms. And that's while they're trying to get out of their lease.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

60mph here, unsafe.

60mph here, full marks if you can pull it off.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

DNK posted:

I’m in line to get a Telluride at MSRP. Delivery ETA in 9mos. Cool.

A question that was raised by my friend, that I had never actually thought about until he mentioned it, is why are all the Hyundai C/SUVs are named after US cities - Santa Fe, Tucson, Kona - but they get the Palisade, and Kia gets the Telluride, when all the Kia C/SUVs are named after just stuff or stuff that sounds like stuff?
And now you can think about it too.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

KillHour posted:

Someone at the Hyundai HQ was carrying two folders, one named "New Hyundai Car Names" and the other named "New Kia Car Names." Said person in a hurry to get to the meeting where the car names were being presented and bumped into someone going the other direction, and all the papers went everywhere. They hurriedly tried to put the papers back but some inevitably got mixed up.

In completely unrelated news, introducing the new Hyundai Q4-ReportForDeb(Copy).xlsx!

HENNIMORE!!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

TIL...
I still think it should be the Hyundai Telluride and Kia Palisade. Especially since the Kia looks more evocative of a defensive wall.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Shine posted:

Cars are loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Cool and fun cars are the good kind of stupid though.