Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
This is a collection of questions.

I'm looking to get my first vehicle(I have my license and pretty much everything I need except the car itself and paperwork.), because I'm in a social desert of a suburb outside Madison, and I've realized I pretty much need a vehicle if I want to do something. I've determined I can afford the general maintenance/gas/insurance fees fairly easily (All together, I'm betting on it being sub $300, and that's aiming very high, grabbing random quotes using commonly suggested cheapass vehicles. A 2008 Honda Civic demands $60 a month insurance from Progressive, in example. The other $240 is gas/tune-ups/savings for paranoia when it explodes)

Problem is, of course, while I can afford the maintenance, I kinda need the vehicle itself, so here goes the planning and saving phase.

Proposed Budget: $5k or Lowest reasonable.
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Any Will Do
How will you be using the car?: Semi Regular trips into the city, which is a 10-20 mile round trip endeavor, let's say twice a week.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability more than anything else. I've no certainty that my financial situation will improve.

The general question is, what's the most responsibly cheap rear end piece of crap that will reliably run for quite some time? I understand going for the cheapest possible thing is foolish - what's the point of buying something that will instantly break down? Scanning over the last 10 pages, there are a few requests for the $5k range, but they have higher demands(commuting), and I'm wondering if my situation alters it any. My gut leans towards throw money together to get to the $5k mark and get an aforementioned Honda Civic or likewise, but I figure it can't hurt to ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU