Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
The Obutto cockpit is good poo poo. You'll be happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There just is not that much stuff that is bank vault quiet, corners flat, and is reliable. You kind of get to pick two.

Curiosity, what are good options if I pick bank-vault-quiet and reliable? Eventually I'll stop being a cheap rear end and replace my early 2000s Matrix with something cushy. At 300K miles, the only of those three traits it offers is reliability. We recently rented a Camry for a 20-hour drive (mostly in one day), and it was like riding on a cloud in comparison.

So yeah, no particular budget in mind, but I'm wondering what are good options if I want a comfy cloud that runs forever and I don't care if it corners like an oversized Corolla.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

As an aside, those hole in the wall places are often brokers, not agents. A broker is someone who doesn't work for a specific insurance company, but instead has a network of companies with whom they're able to set up policies, based on the customer's needs (lowest price, highest umbrella liability limit, willingness to insure a complete idiot, etc.).

One isn't necessarily better than the other (there are great and lovely examples of each), but it's good to know which type of professional you're working with

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

I have a lovely Chubb... policy. My mom had her parked vehicle crashed into and her experienced seemed good. Of course given what you pay for Chubb it should be.

Chubb is basically "give us loads of money and you'll never have an insurance worry."

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

nm posted:

I swear it used to be the title.

It was "Just get a Prius" or something, yeah.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

shovelbum posted:

Hey Vegas guy if there's a chance that you're going to be driving this thing for work all over Nevada find out exactly what that means in terms of the quality of roads you're going to be on, Nevada outside Vegas is like a pile of uninhabited rocks.

And for fucks sake, don't drive anywhere near Goldfield. I felt like I was gonna get lynched.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Can't the Prius battery be either repaired or replaced by third parties at much lower cost than the $3K or whatever that a dealer charges? We have a 2011 with around 120K miles, so I assume we'll need that sooner than later.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

maybe an unpopular opinion but i think it's perfectly reasonable for them to gently caress you off after you lowball the car by ~10%

Agreed.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

Unless you are buying a Genesis. Because there are basically no dealers left. That brand might deserve a ‘watch it spiral into nothing’ subtopic...

I remember hearing good things about the former Hyundai Genesis sedan, before the brand spin-off. Are they struggling because they are lovely? Overpriced? Just never took off despite being good?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Well, poo poo. At some point my invincible ancient Matrix will crap out (or I'll give it to my niece) and I am mentally toying with the idea of buying a Nice car, instead of a Perfectly Serviceable car. If I go that route, I'm probably gonna end up getting a Lexus something-or-other because I'm a Toyota whore, but the Genesis stuff has always looked pretty nice.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

My wife and I have taken road trips in her older Prius, and at 6'1" I've had no comfort issues driving it.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

My wife and I once rented a 2018 Camry for a road trip, and yes, ACC is amazing. I never realized before how much mental energy it takes to monitor and adapt to even the small fluctuations in traffic speed. It completely spoiled us, and we were being big whiny babies when we took a similar trip in our non-ACC car.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

TheWevel posted:

If there's a slow person in left lane, I like to tailgate the poo poo out of them until they move over.

Keep a safe following distance from them and tap your horn until they get the idea and move, instead of doing this bullshit.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I've driven in most of those cars at various points, and my 6'1" self has fit in the front seats just fine. It's not like those are all 1992 Saturn SCs like the one I drove in late puberty and goddamn what a lovely little car :argh:

Back seats can sometimes be dicey, though. On the rare occasion I've been in the back seat of a Prius, I've smacked the ceiling a few times on speed bumps.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

What are some cars to keep in mind when looking for a cheap used standard transmission small/mid sedan? My daughter will be starting to drive in a couple years, and I want her to learn on a manual so she isn't handicapped later in life.

I wouldn't worry about this part. By the time she's of car buying age, she'll have to go well out of her way to drive a standard. Heck, you have to do that now.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I recall a mechanic telling me years ago that using a higher octane fuel than recommended in a car's manual is bad for the engine, but I don't recall any specifics of the conversation, as this was like 10 years ago.

Is it an "it depends" thing? A not-true thing?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

don't you have glass coverage? if no, carry glass coverage.

Maybe, maybe not. When my customers want glass coverage, I always quote them with and without it. It depends on the company, the car and where you live, but in many cases the cost of full glass coverage isn't worth it.

Sometimes glass coverage can run $100/year or so, or more if you have it on multiple vehicles. At that point, you are better off skipping it unless you are hopelessly obsessed with tailgating people on gravel-laden roads. Windshields often run $500 or less out of pocket (my wife's Prius' windshield costs like $300), and it's not worth paying $100+ per year to protect yourself from such a small and uncommon expense.

Keep in mind that any decent company will cover windshield rock chips via other-than-collision (aka comprehensive) with a $0 deductible, without full glass coverage. You're paying the additional premium to cover broken glass that needs to be replaced.

If you have a luxury brand car, then maybe that windshield costs $1500. Even then, I still suggest skipping glass coverage in many cases. The maximum you'll pay for your $1500 proprietary windshield is your OTC deductible, which most people have at either $500 or $1000. Do you really need to spend more premium to protect yourself from an uncommon $500 or $1000 expense?

That said, if your insurer offers full glass for like 15 bucks a term, then sure, go for it. But a big mistake I see a lot of people (including agents) make is autopiloting the addition of glass coverage without checking its premium, even if they've had it for 15 years and used it like once. Unless your policy is already loaded up where it's most important ($500,000 liability, as much medpay/PIP as your health/disability insurance situation calls for, an umbrella liability policy, etc.), consider skipping full glass coverage and spending that premium on something that will save you from financial disaster, instead of spending it on what is essentially a financial inconvenience.

On a side note, I sometimes have customers (usually older folks) insist on both full glass coverage and a $100 OTC deductible, which is just :signings:.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

TheWevel posted:

I guess this varies by state because glass coverage isn’t an option for me with Geico. At least through the phone app. :saddowns:

Varies by company and state, yeah. In some states, like MA and FL, full glass coverage is automatically included on basically every policy, though in MA you select either a $0 or $100 deductible for it.

Motronic posted:

I had similar when I had the Discovery 2 on the road. Heated "windscreen". Very cool, it works great - wish it was on more things. Then I looked up how much it cost and was happy to pay $70/yr for glass insurance.

Keep in mind that with any standard auto policy in the US, even if your windshield is crazy expensive, the max you'll pay out of pocket for it is your Other Than Collision deductible (aka Comprehensive), so I suggest making it a two-part question:

1. Is my windshield worth covering with insurance?
- a $300 windshield probably isn't, but a $3000 windshield probably is.

2. Is it worth paying $X per term/year to reduce my OTC deductible to $0 for windshield claims?
- If you have a $1000 OTC deductible and your glass coverage is $70/year, then I'd say that's okay. If you have a $500 or lower deductible, then is it worth paying $70 every year to cover a $500 expense? It's okay if the answer is "yes," but I always want my customers to at least ask themselves the question before buying it from me.

On a side note: accident forgiveness and vanishing deductible programs are generally not worth the money.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

KillHour posted:

Those were all serious recommendations. A joke post would have all been links to vasectomy doctors.

Vasectomies are loving great.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

DTaeKim posted:

Posting on the behalf of my brother's girlfriend here. Goons gave a fantastic recommendation with my wife's car so he figured he'd ask here.

Proposed Budget: $11K
New or Used: Used
Body Style: (e.g. 2 door? 4 door?) 4 door Compact/Midsize/Fullsize Sedan? Truck? SUV?): any size under an suv.
How will you be using the car?: as a normal car. work isnt a super long commute. occastional long trips for vacation.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?: No? just bluetooth and backup camera at least.
What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style)
cost of ownership/maintenance, gas mileage?

They're been looking at used Kia Souls but are wondering what else to look at. I've steered them away from damaged Corollas and rental cars. Dunno about corporate fleet cars though. They're based in Chicago.

I am not one of the thread experts, but as someone who lurks this thread I imagine KYOON and all are gonna spam "Priiiiiiiusssssssss."

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

CubicalSucrose posted:

Proposed Budget: Under 50k I guess? Less is better.
New or Used: Either.
Expected Usage: Daily commute, mostly highway, ~20-25k miles / year. Not a large person, 95% of the time it's 1 person in the car, sometimes 2, almost never more.
Currently Driving: '03 Mercury Grand Marquis w/~175k miles on it. My fourth summer without air conditioning. Other than fuel costs and the A/C, it's fine.
Important Aspects: Low total cost of ownership over the next ~7 years (or more) while being "reasonably comfortable" as I spend 2.5 hours / day in the thing. In the Midwest where snow is a thing. Backup camera is a strong want-to-have and a bunch of modern-day safety features seem like good things but I don't know enough about them.
Timeframe: Probably before next summer, maybe sooner, maybe later.

From reading the past 20 pages of the thread, sounds like I'll probably want a Mazda3, Prius, or maybe Corolla? Any particular model years or trim levels that stand out?

For Toyota, anything 2017+ will have the safety stuff as standard features. Adaptive cruise control will change your life. We rented a 2018 Camry for our annual road trip a couple years ago, and driving 12 hours a day with the adaptive cruise control took less mental energy than driving 8 hours without it.

Shine fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 12, 2020

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Worst case I've heard that gap insurance is much more affordable through your normal insurance company than it is through the dealer.

This is generally correct. It's not uncommon for gap insurance to cost a quarter as much through auto insurance as it does through dealers/lenders directly. So if you're in that edge case where it has a decent chance at being useful, ask your auto insurer if they offer it.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

i should also point out that i know pretty much nothing about cars aside from certain brand names = good, so you'll have to be a bit more specific

The Corolla is a compact car made by Toyota that checks all your boxes. It's a cheap and reliable human transporter.

My older car is a Toyota Matrix, which is basically a Corolla with a big butt. It is the definition of "perfectly serviceable." You will never have fun driving a Corolla, but you will successfully go back and forth between places without worry for the next decade or two.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

2. are digital dashboards safe nowadays?

Do NOT ask this question in the Microsoft Flight Sim thread.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

okay guys, did a lot of thinking, and based on my predictions that i will be driving a whole lot more with my new car, i think i'm going to bite the bullet and get a hybrid (probably gonna go for the 2021 carolla).

i do have one final concern. i hear replacing the battery is going to be the most expensive problem to fix/replace if it were to ever break down. how likely is it that such a thing can happen?

We replaced the battery on our older Prius a couple months ago. It was about $2000 and we should be fine for another, like, decade.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

As an aside, belongings in a stolen car could typically be covered by your home or renters insurance, as those policies provide worldwide personal property coverage. That said, home/renters policies are generally more sensitive to claims history than auto insurance (in terms of being non-renewed or declined new coverage later), so you typically want to save that for larger issues, like home robberies or fires.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

My first thought driving a Prius was, "this feels sportier than I'm used to," which says less about the Prius and more about an old base model Toyota Matrix.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Adaptive cruise control loving owns. We rented a 2018 Camry a few years back to drive from Vegas to Northern CA, and driving for 12 hours in that thing was less mentally exhausting than driving 8 hours in our older Prius (or god forbid in my ancient Matrix). You don't realize how much energy it takes to make those frequent, tiny adjustments in speed until you're in a car that does that for you. Game-changing tech. You still need to pay attention and cover the brake in case something silly happens, but it's so much easier than manually adjusting standard cruise control because the person in front of you slowed by 1MPH and you're slowly creeping up on them.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Unsinkabear posted:

Counterpoint: the 2016 Prii that I'm considering look like a spaceship hosed a Corolla

Money Plane.

E: gently caress it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoHHk4zERyU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

I'm vaguely interested in getting an electric vehicle, or maybe a hybrid or plug-in hybrid? I know nothing. I know less than nothing. Does the thread have a good primer? I'd like a reliable car that's nice to drive but doesn't guzzle gasoline, like if the Camry came as an EV or plug-in hybrid that'd be swell. Or maybe it already does? I don't know.

Does the Prius still have a douche factor associated with it for whatever reason or has that mostly faded away with time?

The Prius is a ubiquitous car now, and any remaining douchiness it had has been swallowed up by Teslas.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Well if it's a lease, who gives a poo poo.
vvv

Presumably they'd like to successfully drive back and forth to work without worrying about battery capacity during the lease.

Also, the vvv edit-reply thing means you're replying to a person in a manner that makes it unlikely that they'll see your reply (since nothing in the system indicates to them that you've replied that way), and makes people reading your post not know what you're replying to. Please just reply in a new post.

Shine fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 19, 2021

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

KillHour posted:

Or, and hear me out, we implement a rule where you can only have one post and all edit-replies list the number of posts above or below you you're replying to and we can make a game out of trying to read it all like a puzzle.

I swear to god :psyduck:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

My ancient Matrix finally had a "not gonna spend this much money repairing a car this loving old" issue, so I actually spent money on a car for once and now have a 2016 CX-5 Grand Touring with 30K miles. God drat, I've never felt so fancy in my own car. I really should do nice things for myself more often.

CarMax gave me $1500 for my old-enough-to-vote Matrix with 230K miles and unrepaired cosmetic accident damage. Their website ballparked a $300 trade value, but their on-site appraiser somehow saw 5X that value. The market is loving stupid right now :psyduck:.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

drat it.

Why can't this be easy?

Some places, like CarMax, have both a 24-hour test drive and a full return policy (within some number of days), so you can use that time to have it inspected, and return it if there's anything fucky. You pay more than you would with private sellers, but the convenience may be worth the additional cost if car shopping usually makes you anxious.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Dirt Rally in VR is loving great. I otherwise drive a CX-5 and it is very cozy and slow.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Cars are loving stupid.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

MSRP for a Ram 1500 is probably still a pretty terrible deal because it's normally trivial to get 5 figure discounts on them.

Worth it to finally be able to say "This is a Dodge!"

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

The CX-5 is super cozy. I love mine.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Nitrox posted:

In 100 words or less, tell us why Prius is not the car for you.

To be fair, a Prius isn't sexy unless you're really into the Tim Duncan type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

You have the perfect personality for a Tesla