Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

n8r posted:

I find it a bit weird that they are offering you $1800 to repair the car, but you aren't sure that will fix it. Have you taken it to a body shop or two? $1800 is bodywork frankly isn't very much. If the car is still fine mechanically I think having it repaired is a lot better option then blowing a lot of money on a new car. Can you take the $3500 to "total" the car then buy it back from the insurance company? Is that what the $1800 figure is? Even if you have to put in some of your own money I think you should more completely explore having the car repaired. Go around to body shops and tell them it will be a "cash deal" and maybe even tell them you only have $1800 to spend. You'd be surprised how variable pricing is on bodywork.

Especially if you get parts replaced from used vehicles, and don't get them repainted. You might have mismatched colors on the car, but it saves a lot of money if you don't really care. I did this once in an accident where I was 25% at fault, so I only got 75% of the repair money. The 75% covered doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Silver Nitrate posted:

My old car needed a new clutch and had some suspension and body issues. This particular Lincoln got a new engine 30k ago and new air ride about 5k ago, so it's pretty close to a new car for being so old.

There is no way I could afford a Prius. Especially because I can't do the work on it myself and insurance on anything like that is high. But, even a 4 cylinder import is only going to get around 25 miles when your doing start, stop, and go all of the time. My Lancer ran about 24mpg and my Focus did 23mpg. If my car breaks I loose at least two days of work ~250$ plus repairs, with my Mitsu and my little Focus it was always around $500 for some random computer crap. So one car repair basically fucks my month up. The reliability factor is key. The insurance savings offsets about half of the extra gas cost. The cheap oil helps a bit, then the cheap brakes and stuff help a bit more. Excluding major repairs, the actual, regular operating costs on the Lancer was $0.21 per mile, the Lincoln is $0.24. The major repairs is where the money saving difference happens. If there are no major repairs, the Lancer wins but if there are the Lincoln wins by a lot.

There is a reason police and taxi companies use these cars.

This is how I figured it out:

Import car: Nice gas mileage, easy to park, expensive oil, expensive parts, expensive insurance ($90/month full coverage), can't work on it myself because it's full of computers, can't fit large orders in, might make it to 250k, but probably not, tinfoil in a crash

Lincoln: poo poo gas mileage, don't need to park I look like a cab, cheap oil, cheap parts, cheap insurance ($30/month full coverage), can do anything to it in my garage, can put 90 pizzas in the back, will run 250k easily, also it's comfy and has those nice lights that get the corner when you put your signal on, pretty good in a crash, people move out of my way when I drive behind them at night.

Edit: I guess I should mention my Lincoln has been converted to E85 which is like $2.60 a gallon here. :)

There's a reason you posted this here and not AI...

You are just trying to talk yourself up so you feel better about your purchase. I'm sorry, a Lincoln Town car is not cheaper to work on than a 16 year old Honda Civic. It is not more reliable. It does not use cheaper oil. It gets half the MPG.

The private party value of the car is about $4,000 in excellent condition (less than 3% of all cars meet this). You could have sold your car for the $6,000

Are you a cop or a taxi driver? There is a reason no other company in the world other than personal drivers and government use these in a fleet.

Not to rain on your parade or anything, but don't come here touting a 16 year old Lincoln as good advice for others. Survey 1,000 mechanics and see how many name Lincoln as the top brand for reliability for 16 years old. See how many of those say Honda or Toyota. The AVERAGE Honda will last over 200k miles without major repairs. You can't say that about Lincoln.

You are bat poo poo crazy if you think a Lincoln has a lower cost of ownership than most Japanese cars of the same age. Have you actually looked up late 90's Lincoln reliability? They are plagued with engine related issues.

Hey, you like the car and that's all that matters. Just don't try and push it on everyone else because it is not the logical choice. If you want to talk about how great Lincolns are, then make a Lincoln thread in AI. Maybe you found a diamond in the rough, but there were also Ford Pintos that didn't explode.

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Feb 17, 2012

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Budget: $10-17k
New or Used: Either, but probably used.
Body style: Preferably a hatchback, but anything that isn't a coupe would be fine.
How will I be using the car: Commuting and light camping trips. I also have a Z06 as a weekend warrior and trips that don't involve camping. I'm in San Diego so weather is a non-factor.
Important aspects: Comfort, fuel economy, reliability, space, style, audio.

I already know that a Prius is going to be the best option here, but I just can't get past the styling. I've owned 10 cars in the past 13 years. I get bored of cars too easily, so I need something that appeals to me style wise, and feature wise.

The price range is so large mostly due to allow for age. If I'm at the top of my budget, I'm going to want something a lot newer.

Comfort is big as I sit in a lot of traffic for my work commute (30 minute one way commute for 8 miles, all freeway). Cloth or leather doesn't really matter as long as it's comfortable. Fuel economy doesn't need to be amazing, but I'd like to get 25+ MPG in mixed driving. I don't think reliability will be an issue really as I'm looking for something newer with low mileage.

Space-wise, I just need it big enough for tent camping with 2 people. My current Lincoln LS was just barely big enough to completely pack everything for a 5 day Yosemite trip.

Audio - I want to be able to use my smart phone, steering-wheel controls, and sound good. For newer cars, this means I've been looking at higher trim models. I'm fine going aftermarket with the audio, but I don't want to do any modifications on the dash, so it would have to have a standard single or double-din. A lot of the newer stuff seems to nix that option with their crazy dash designs.

I've been looking at Focus hatches, mostly the Titanium trim, but I've been considering the trim down with the SYNC included. I rented a 2012 or '13 for a week and liked it enough. I know some are worried about their new transmissions though. What else should I be looking at?

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Thanks Skipdogg and IRQ, that completely escaped my mind and should be a perfect fit. I like the styling a lot more than the Focus as well. I'll see if I can find some 2012s in my budget so I can get the Skyactive engine.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Proposed Budget: $10-20k
New or Used: used
Body Style: Passenger Van or Minivan
How will you be using the car?: 2 infants and 2 medium dogs (40-55lbs). Looking to be able to do long distance trips (1-4K miles) with all of us and all the gear we want. For example our twins are 14 months right now, bringing 2 pack and plays would be loving amazing. Tent camping and all the gear I would potentially want.

I’m basically conflicted between getting a minivan or passenger van. We have a Mazda3 hatch that we daily drive and is fine for us in the city. We also took this on a month long honeymoon through 5 national parks prior to kids (and didn’t bring dogs).

Minivan will have better comforts, gas mileage, and I assume maintenance costs. Can handle the needs but I’m thinking I’ll be playing Tetris for any long trips and likely have to make choices on what we can bring.

Passenger van will allow me to bring whatever I want for tent camping and also allow me to tow once I get a travel trailer 2-5 years down the road. Both vehicles can take a roof rack for additional storage.

Prices seem to be all over the place. I’m currently looking at a 2011 Toyota Sienna LE, 100k miles, one owner, very clean for $14,000 and a 2014 Ford E-150 XLT, 75k privately owned for $20,000.

Vast majority of passenger vans in my market are either fleet or rental. The price reflects it too, like a 2016 Chevy Express 2500, 100k, $13,000 fleet.

Minivans quickly go up in price with less years and mileage. I was shocked when I saw how expensive new ones are. Lots of rentals in this market so you gotta be vigilant and recognize price differences.

Right now I’m leaning towards the Passenger van. Ideally this will truly be a road warrior and not a commuter. My wife currently isn’t working and I work from home. In the next few years I see us both having new jobs that require us to commute, and will be able to afford a 3rd vehicle at that point (guessing a medium SUV).

The budget is tight and cash flow is king right now. But my wife should start working in the near future and I’d prefer to buy something that will last the next 10 years and enjoy.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Uthor posted:

You mentioned a city. Where do you live? My buddy has a passenger van that he uses for conventions and touring with a band. It is HUGE. Parks it in his driveway, but blocks his garage doing so. Parking anywhere is always a chore. It's also expensive to fix and burns a lot of fuel. On the plus side, he can fit a ton of stuff in there.

I'd lean towards a minivan. It'd just be an easier thing to drive day to day. You can always rent something larger for trips if you find the need. Or tow a trailer.

I’m not worried about city driving at all. I have lots of experience driving large trucks and vans. Im in Boise which is spread out as well.

Parking at home won’t be an issue either.

FilthyImp posted:

Might be an edge case for the Ford Flex.

Though you could almost assuredly get. More comfortable minivan for that price.

A Ford Flex has less cargo space than a minivan so that’s a non starter.

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 20, 2019

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Seriously considering renting a minivan for a day just to pack it with all of our poo poo and see how it feels.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
In terms of how quick a car is, for a general idea you would look at the ratio of the weight of the car to the HP and torque. Do that for your old car and compare to new ones to generally see if it would be slower or faster. You can also look at 0-60, 1/8, 1/4 mile times (or equivalent to where you are) and see how they compare.

But yes, just liter size of the engine alone is irrelevant. 2 different engines with the same displacement can have very different amounts of power. The EcoBoost should have a turbo, which adds power to the engine. Meaning you can get similar power with a smaller engine.

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 27, 2019

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
And shop based on the price of the car, not the payment they say they can give you. Figure out the math and your financials prior to going.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Bought the passenger van. Minivan just wasn’t gonna cut it for our camping needs. Loving it so far.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
4Runner

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

That's a funny way of spelling V8 SHO.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
With that much info, a used RAV4 1980s - 2015

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Usually depends on your local market. If they have zero issue selling them with those options then it will be harder to find.

Just call a few to get an idea.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Get a classic that’s built to gently caress

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Proposed Budget: $14-20k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Full size sedan or crossover
How will you be using the car?: Mostly city driving
What aspects are most important to you? Safety, reliability, enjoyability, in that order

Looking for a 3rd vehicle to fill in the gaps. Currently have a 2012 Mazda 3 hatch, and a 2014 Ford E150. Have twin 2 year olds and the Mazda is getting tight, especially with larger double stroller and car seats. My wife works at a preschool and our children go there as well. It’s half a mile from the house, and I work from home. The van is our road warrior and we don’t want to daily it. Besides, the city mpg is abysmal.

Looking for something that will have more people space. I’m only 5’ 7” but I can’t have the seat as far back as I’d like in the Mazda with a car seat behind me. If it’s a car, I need a huge trunk. High safety ratings a must and modern safety features would be nice and at least 20mpg city. Reliability wise I want to be able to put on another 100k miles, from when I buy it, relatively trouble free. Im guessing we would put around 5-7,000 miles a year.

I’m assuming I’ll get more car for the money with a sedan than a crossover. I don’t know much about full-size cars, and I’ve briefly looked into things like the RAV4, CRV, CX5. Those seem adequate, but I’m thinking I’d like having some higher end features if I could afford them in a car while still meeting all the necessities. if it’s fun to drive, that would be even better, but not at the expense of my requirements.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
How bad of an idea is a 2008 4Runner 2wd, 95k miles for $16k?

I’ve noticed is not easy to find a 4Runner under 100k and less than $20k. I understand 4wd is way more desirable but I don’t have a use case for needing more than my e150 is capable of.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

powderific posted:

If you actually do care about gas mileage a terrible idea? It doesn’t seem to check almost any of your boxes other than probably reliable I guess. What makes you think it fits your use case? You’re way better off with a car based crossover for what you’ve described.

And unless you specifically want a 4wd truck off-road thing I have a hard time thinking of when a 4Runner would be the best choice at that price. I’m saying this as someone who has an loves a GX470 (Lexus 4Runner)

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

You already have an e150 for anything you wanna tow, so unless you're trying to go offroad theres no point. You want a vehicle that you can daily drive with car seats in it and a stroller and other poo poo in the back? You're a prime candidate for a crossover, or maybe like an old Impreza wagon or something but I'm assuming you want a newer car. Go check out some rav4s, crvs, foresters and cx5s

I grew up with 4runners, learned how to drive stick on my dad's '85. I've just always had a fondness for them, but thanks for bringing me back to reality. Going to check out some crossovers this weekend.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
After checking out the compact suv/crossovers I had narrowed it down to a 2016 CX-5 sport in the 25-35k mile range for $17-18k.

But then I remembered something. The Prius V exist(ed).

The answer is a ~2015 Prius V isn’t it? Found a Prius V five for $20k with 55k miles. Probably not a screaming deal but seems worth it. These are still tanks right?

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Do you need 3-6 months to figure out if a car is right for your life, or specifically this one car? If just the car find one you can rent for a week and make the best of it. If just a car, rent something way cheaper.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
You could also looking into renting a car for road trips if that’s a specific scenario you are worried about. I’ve rented minivans specifically for that before.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Does anyone know how reliably rentals are reported?

I see a lot of cars that have fleet / lease reported. I’m overall not too worried about corporate type use for a used car, but what’s the likelihood this could be a rental? Do rental companies lease cars? I’ve also seen plenty of cars reported as rentals.

I’m specifically looking at a 2016 Mazda CX-5 Sport with 25k miles for $17k. If I can be reasonably assured this wasn’t a rental I’m ready to buy it. It had a lease, labeled fleet, one owner.

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Oct 2, 2019

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
At that price range just buy a mini van and cut off the top back and boom truck!

I’d recommend a full size van since they are cheaper than trucks, but a mini van will still be cheaper than that and do the job.

I do love my van though.

E: please don’t subject your family to your lovely project/hobby vehicle.

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 16, 2019

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Check out CarMax if you haven’t already. You’ll pay a small premium over other used lots (sans actual dealers who will have the same premium) and I’ve found it worth removing all the bullshit from buying a used car. I’ve had two vehicles transferred in from a different CarMax and bought them both.

One of those was a 2016 CX-5 Sport with 25k miles for $17,000 2 weeks ago.

And totally getting the software update to add CarPlay and a cheap gps SD card off amazon.

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 17, 2019

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Mourne posted:

Nice car!

I was doing some more researching and found a 2016 CX-5 near my mom. It'll be a 3-hour drive but they've got a 2016.5 AWD sport model with 15,000 miles for 18,000. They also have a decked-out 2016 Touring model AWD, moon roof, heated seats, some driver-assist features with 25,000 miles for 19,000$.

I'll look into carmax. How do you add Apple Carplay to a Mazda CX-5 if it didn't come standard?

I believe starting 2016 MY they use the same Mazda connect system going forward so they just do a firmware update and can add it. You can have a Mazda dealer do it for you for $200 + labor I believe (so I’m estimating $400 out the door). There’s also a lot of online stuff to do it yourself. I’m going to look into that and see how comfortable I feel trying it, but even at $400 I’d be willing to upgrade.

Another thing - if you are shopping mom and pop shops, this will also piss them off, but absolutely make sure you get a 3rd party inspection done before buying. You should regardless of where you buy but my experience with mom and pop shops is bullshit, lies, high pressure sales, and zero support. They don’t want smart educated customers.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
CTS-V wagon is the correct choice.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Crown Victoria

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
The E150 is like the hatchback of trucks. So get that and you get all the room. No reason to look around. (Taking a group of friends shooting and camping in the sand dunes in a couple weeks in mine :black101: it’s also my road warrior exclusive vehicle)

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
In short, you aren’t their target customer.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Maybe consider a short bus?

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Just tell them to email you when they have what you want on the lot. It’s little effort for them (sales dudes are happy to blow you up if they think you might buy), zero commitment on your end, and if they don’t follow through, oh well.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
It’s also 18 years old.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
What's your 4 hour drive like and how many miles?

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Sold my C5 Z06 a couple years ago when we had twins. Man I miss that car. Only issues I really had were power door locks and window regulators. The interior is cheap GM so I always felt I had to be careful using anything inside, other than the pedals wheel and stick of course. I think the stereo was a 1.5 dim.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
E150

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Funny thing is we've heard all these joke posts when we announced the twins, haha. My grandparents did have one of those old-rear end camping conversion pop-up vans. There were no seatbelts in the back and it was rad as hell.

First vehicle purchase after the twins came. As a 3rd / adventure vehicle, it's loving amazing. So I think the true answer is a van with a 4x4 kit and also a Corvette to get you to and from work.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Do you truly need AWD? The only time I've needed it going to a ski resort was in a rented suburban that just kept wanting to slide through turns, but it was also a rented car without proper tires. A FWD minivan would have had no issue with it. AWD is nice in snow, but hardly a necessity to go to Tahoe I feel. If you get a RWD truck (suv) then you may have some small issues, sure.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Getting on a plane.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Hm, there is a used '16 sport Accord for $17k here. That's a $9k cheaper sticker price than the '20 Si. It's, well, boring looking, but maybe that's the way to go here.

The 987, which is second gen. DD for nearly five years now, and put ~100k miles on it. I love the car, and I love driving it. See my comment about poisoning the well. Maintenance has been what you'd expect I guess? Outside of the routine stuff (frequent oil changes, clutch at 80k, etc.), there have been a few items that ran a few hundred to over a grand each. I haven't felt like any of it was outrageous or unsurprising for what the car is.

Second gen has that IMS bearing issue though, so you're rolling the dice with those. It's not nearly as bad as the internet would make it seem at first blush, but the problem does exist.

Have you considered getting a large v8 dad car? Trading handling for comfort would be big for me these days, and I'll get another true sports car down the road. Already sold the Corvette, but haven't replaced it yet with something fun and still hanging on to my Mazda3 hb for now. But I can see something like a full size sedan (ideally wagon if more existed) with a 400hp v8 in my near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Yeah, I totally get that. Maybe get 2 cars and you don't have to sacrifice at all lol.