Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

dreesemonkey posted:

General car buying questions:
On a whim, my wife and I drove a leftover 2013 Sonata GLS preferred package (heated seats, fog lights). In my research, I liked them the best on paper. Good mpg, good features for the price, great warranty. If we were to buy new we'd definitely run it into the ground so the warranty is a huge part of this for us. As much as the 2014 Mazda 6 appeals to me, it's a first model year and it's more expensive and the warranty is shorter.

Anyway, we liked the car well enough I guess, the car salesman is probably the worst ever in the entire history of car sales, but that's neither here nor there. I told him I'm interested in what their out the door price was since we could put a sizeable down payment down I don't care what the monthly payments would be, especially since Hyundai is offering 0% right now and my credit union is offering 1.49% for up to 3 years.

If I put $10k down they said I'd finance $10,038.63 "OTD", and broke it down to $285.30 x 36 months @ 1.49% from my CU. But the $10,000 + $10,038.63 does not equal the $20,693 "Purchase price" or whatever the gently caress the upper left square is, even after interest charges taken into consideration. So I don't know what's going on. Attached is the ever-present 4 squares paper thing. Can someone explain this poo poo to me? I've never bought a new car and I'm stupid.

The salesman also said something about only having to pay sales tax on the financed amount, which did not sound even remotely correct to me.

In any case, this doesn't seem like a "Holy poo poo what a good deal" price to me, so my first inclination is to wait to see how much money I have to spend on home renovations coming up first, then revisit later.

I was taught about the four square trick when I did some volunteer training at my law school's legal aid center a few years back, but I didn't realize car salespeople still used it that much. In a nutshell, the sales department has those four squares to confuse you. The numbers are obviously not in your favor to begin with. The salesperson will generally ask you which number is bothering you, take it to the tower, and come back with a lower number in one square, but higher in another. There'll be an excuse such as, "Good news! He can go down a couple thousand in the down payment by bumping up the monthly payment a smidge" and then you'll do the dance again. Often the trade-in value is the bargaining chip they focus on. They'll give you close to what you're hoping and quietly increase the sales price square.

The whole point is that it's a shell game: if you fall for it, you'll pay close to what the salesperson wants in the first place because he/she will have made the numbers look fair after several rounds of negotiations and apparent concessions.

Frequently there's also a section for you to initial that says you'll buy the car today if the terms are agreeable to both parties. That is completely meaningless, but it adds psychological pressure that you have to make this deal work today or else. Plus if you sign it, that signals to the salesperson you're committed to this car (whereas someone willing to walk away is more likely to refuse or not even play the four square game to begin with).

And at some point, you might also get the "If I can get the price you're asking for, will you buy the car today?" question as a prelude to walking back to the tower. (I had this happen when I bought a car back in July, though thankfully no four square nonsense.) That also adds pressure and a feeling that you're going to have to commit right now or else lose on a good deal. Which is bullshit, of course, since even if you answer yes, there's no legal commitment to follow through at that point.

Not to mention by the time the typical four-square negotiation is done, the page is a morass of crossed-out and highlighted figures. It's confusing and wears the buyer down.

tl;dr version: Four-square sales technique is a sham, don't buy from a dealership who forces it on you.

Edit: This explains the process a bit, the rest of the article's a good read, too:
http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/confessions-of-a-car-salesman-pg4.html

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU