Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
Proposed Budget: 20-30k
New or Used: New preferably but used if awesome.
Body Style: anything really as long as its fun to drive, reliable and if you squint one eye real hard could be considered at least moderately practical
How will you be using the car?: Shortish commute and fun. Have to run Emergency stock to work every once in awhile, so a bit of cargo space is a must (read no two seaters)
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, cost of ownership, fun, mpg in that order

Is there anything wrong with the new Focus ST? I kinda (really) want one.
We've been a one car household for too long and I'm getting a new job where I'm going to need reliable transportation at the drop of a hat, and the wife's 2003 sonata (30k miles) is completely paid off. So I'd kinda like to treat myself.
Also on my short list are the Ford Fusion (love the way it looks) Scion Fr-s, the Subaru brz, and an '08 or so rx-8.Obviously the last three are the least practical. I wont own a Volkswagen and the Mazda 3's interior does absolutely nothing for me. Other suggestions are why I'm here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

Weinertron posted:

You sound like a great candidate for the Focus ST hands-down. Other than that, maybe consider a Fiat 500 Abarth? It's a bit smaller, but the design gets the most out of the space available. Drive one before you write off its 1.4 turbo as too small, it's a blast. Get out there and drive the BRZ! You put cost of ownership and mpg on your list of "things I want", so an RX-8 isn't what you're searching for. They are wonderful in their own way, but the BRZ / FR-S drive awesome and aren't finicky.

I did actually look at an Abarth, but as the wife reminded me, we will be owning the car long enough that a baby might be in the picture and I cant imagine trying to get a car seat in the back. Also have been eyeing a wrx but in my area its either 18 year old trust fund babies or 30 something d-bags that drive them. I love the car, hate the reputation.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

Bovril Delight posted:

What's the beef with a VW?
I'll be the first to admit it's not rational at all. I had a '93 fox (lol) as my second car and while reliable engine wise, everything else on it was a huge piece of junk. I wrecked it when I went around the corner and awful sunroof water dripped into my eyes. While the new ones are supposed to be good I've had terrible experiences with the last generation. Also the seats on the new gti's are the ugliest thing ever put inside a car.

Throatwarbler posted:

With all the new turbo Fords and Subarus being the rage nowadays people kind of forget it exists but if you're going to buy new a Civic Si isn't a bad choice. You're OK with a BRZ or RX8 so you're OK with a high revving NA engine, and Honda's still the gold standard on those. There's also GM's competitor to the Focus ST, the Buick Verano turbo, although it starts at a somewhat higher price point since it's more of a luxury car, and I think it just came out this year so used units aren't going to be common, still this is GM and with som many cars and dealers sitting around there's always deals to be had.

On the used market, Volvo C30 if you can find one? Very nice interiors, striking exterior design and powerful engines, Volvo's reliability reputation isn't the best but it's not a VW. If you don't like the WRX douchebag image there's the Legacy Spec.B, but those are getting a little bit older nowadays and I think the newer generation isn't quite as performance oriented.

I terms of pure performance for the buck you can't beat the Mustang/Camaro/Challenger trio, but I get the feeling that's not really your style.

Good to know, Didn't even think about Buick (I always assumed they were old people cars) I did look on the Chevy website and wondered why there was no competitors in the hot hatch/coupe department. As for the Volvo, I kind of forgot about them. I secretly wish they would bring back the S60r. I love those things, and I would go broke for one.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
Tell me why I should buy a Prius over something like this fusion https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/5158557862.html

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

VideoTapir posted:

Fuel economy, reliability, cargo space, resale value.

Dammit, I figured as much.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

That Fusion will be a whole hell of a lot more fun to drive, if that matters to you. I have a Fusion Titanium and it's actually good to drive compared to other mid-size cars on the market. The only car that beats it is probably the Mazda6 but it's slower. The 2.0l in the Fusion isn't that bad (0-60 in around 6.7-6.9s).

If the above doesn't matter, go Prius.

It absolutely does matter, I love the way the fusions look and I'm not endeared with the whole idea of a personalityless people moving appliance. It's a hard thing to choose something like the fusion over the "better in almost every category" Prius. I don't want a Prius, but I feel like it's the smart decision...

Edit. I've spent the last few years with only a motorcycle because I live a five minute walk from work and the only reason I need transportation is for enjoyment/personal use. I'm getting transferred to a new location with a significant pay raise and, I'm not sure if that means I can buy a Prius and ignore the performance/fun factor, or that it'll just make me miss it and hate the Prius

Zosologist fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Aug 8, 2015

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
So I have an infant, a wife, a motorcycle, and a Toyota matrix. She's graduating in a few weeks and the weather sucks. We need another car.

My conundrum is that we're planning on having another kid in a year or two, and adopting some extras as finance permits.

Do I give in and buy a minivan now? Do I buy a second gen Prius and trade it in later? Can I lease something kind of cool to tote my son around in until we have another then buy a loving minivan?

Also I can buy a Ford Flex and pretend it's a station wagon, right?

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
∆∆∆ this is what I really want to do, but was concerned it was a terrible idea.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
Proposed Budget: Under $20k

New or Used: Either, probably used realistically

Body Style: something that fits a rear facing car seat comfortably with a stroller in the back. My wife's Matrix isn't cutting it. (Yay fatherhood)

How will you be using the car?: Short commute, Costco runs, general dad stuff.

What aspects are most important to you? I'd like it to be not a total pig to drive. Reliable. Probably fuel efficient.

Looking at the Mazda SUVs, Subaru Forester and outback, almost pulled the trigger on a Kia soul turbo because of the 0% financing available but it wouldn't quite fit the car seat in the back comfortably.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
Proposed Budget: ~35k
New or Used: new probably
Body Style: loving minivan
How will you be using the car?: Like a minivan. Transporting at least three kids (2 of my linage and at least one foster kid) and a short commute twice a week
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability. I want to keep the thing for about 15 years, until my oldest is out of the house. I'd like something with Android auto to Future proof the infotainment as much as possible (as absurd as that is). I really want good adaptive cruise control and safety features.

I know the segment is small. The Honda Odyssey has bad reliability scores on consumer reports. The Pacifica ticks all my boxes (as an amateur woodworker the stow-and-go seats seem like a god send for Home Depot plywood runs) but it's a Fiat product. The Toyota sienna is 10 years old and has no Android auto. And the Kia is a Kia. I'm really just looking for opinions and maybe reviews on the adaptive cruise control/Lane keep assist/blind spot monitoring/ etc.

I wish there was a clear winner in this segment.

Zosologist fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 10, 2019

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

nm posted:

Buy a last generation Odyssey. You'll save a lot of money and avoid literally all of the problems of the new one. You won't get Android auto, but as someone who rents a lot of cars with it, it is nice, but is in no way mandatory. It almost certainly isn't future proof because the odds of honda updating the thing to work with the android version that's out 3 years after they discontinue it. As long as you have an aux-in (even more tha bluetooth), you're as futureproof as it gets. Get a magnetic mount with charging.

The comedy, but not completely insane option, is to buy a used grand caravan and use the save 25 loving thousand dollars to keep the thing running and buy a miata and buy your kids a car. Grand Caravans aen;t the reliable, but even if you buy a new junkyard transmission every 5 years, you're probably in the black.

Also, basically all the Odyssey issues are software type teething issues. I suspect if you can wait and buy a 2020 when it comes out, it will be a honda. Even the 2019 might be. but I'd give it a bit.

Solid advice but the semi autonomous safety features are very important to me. My wife is a terrifying driver.

Edit: who am I kidding? Unless something drastically changes my mind, I'll probably end up with a 2019 Odyssey EX-L, or even a Pacifica like this
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/link/224340851
And prey that it lasts 175k without bankrupting me.

Double edit: I could maybe wait for the 2020 Odyssey to hit the but I probably couldn't get a 0.9% financing offer on one? I assume? Also when do new model years usually hit the market?

Zosologist fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 10, 2019

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

Is your current car 15 years old? How did you come to that number?

Very few people keep cars for that long, people's life circumstances change, new cars with more safety features come out, or you know, most people become richer and can afford nicer things as time passes, poo poo 5 years from now you can probably get a car that drives itself. It's super strange to buy a new car right now with the requirement that it doesn't need to be replaced or repaired or still be able to connect to your phone(!) for 15 years like it was a roof or a water heater or something.

I've driven plenty of 15+ year old cars in my life that were fairly reliable, and there are tons of people still driving 2004 models. A minivan is an appliance and treating things as inherently disposable is an odd mindset. I may very well trade up in the future but I don't want to be obligated to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

zapplez posted:

If you are serious minded about keeping a car a long,long time , you should buy buying a Toyota. 100000% . Get the Sienna if you need a minivan.

And anyway my wife's matrix s will be giving up the ghost in the next 5-10 years and I'll be able to get something fun to replace it instead of making more payments on yet another minivan.