Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Hey cargoons I need some help. I'm absolutely not a car guy - I've had the same Camry for 20 years. I don't drive all that much (my 20 year old Camry has 58,00 miles on it) so I'm looking for something that will last for a while but I really don't want another sedan.

Proposed Budget: $35,000
New or Used: New
Body Style: CUV
How will you be using the car?: I don't commute to work so the only driving I do is running errands on the weekends and short road trips
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?: My wife wants heated seats and I'd like a decent sound system
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability and easy maintenance

I've been looking at Nissan Rogues but it seems like some of you have some negative opinions of them. I test drove a RAV 4 but wasn't super excited about it. I've also been thinking about a Jeep Cherokee or a Subaru Forester.

Also, is there any advantage to paying cash for a new car or will I get a better price if I finance it and pay it off early?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

zapplez posted:

Mazda CX5 !

Honda CRV if you are ok with smaller and want something fairly worry free. Honda Pilot will be outside of your budget but is a great car.
Toyota Highlander if you can budget it. Cross shop a Hyundai Tucson or Sante Fe.
VW Tiguan is worth a look.

I'd avoid the chevy traverse and the jeep cherokee, both are far back in its class in terms of value/reliability.

I hadn't even considered a Mazda but I'm going to check out the CX5. My first car back in high school was a Mazda 323 and I loved the hell out of it. It looks like Highlanders are going to be out of my price range unless I buy used. The Hyundai Santa Fe looks interesting too...probably going to go test drive one of those as well. Thanks for the suggestions!

Deteriorata posted:

If you're only going to put ~3000 miles per year on it, reliability in and of itself doesn't really matter. The car will rarely need any service outside of oil changes regardless. Parts will need to be replaced based on age and oxidation before they wear out.

So my advice is to find one you like and enjoy it.

Here's a few to take a look at:
Honda CR-V
Mazda CX-5 or CX-9 (larger version)
Subaru Forester or Ascent
Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee
Chevy Traverse
VW Atlas
Hyundai Tucson
Kia Sportage

Thanks for these suggestions. The VW Atlas looks very interesting but might be out of my price range. There are a couple dealerships in town that have some 2018 models in stock that I think I'll go check out