Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Proposed Budget: $10-15k
New or Used: Used is fine.
Body Style: Something that will fit 5 people plus a decent amount of luggage. Maybe a midsize? I honestly don't know much about car sizes.
How will you be using the car?: Will be mostly used to drive to/from the airport, supermarket, shopping mall, occasional road trips. It's a car that will stay at a shared apartment in Florida that my family uses 6-7 times a year.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?): Something with Carplay for GPS purposes would be nice, but not needed.
What aspects are most important to you?: nothing in particular, but reliability is always nice.

Sorry for the vagueness, I'm mostly looking for a point to get started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
8 months at most, probably 3-4 on average.

I can probably arrange to have someone start it more often than that (prob. not drive it tho).

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
It’ll be parked in a building parking lot that has a roof but no walls if that makes any sense.

I’ll look into some Hondas and similar cars and see what I find, thanks!

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the more I’m looking into this the more I’m leaning towards that option.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Wife and I are moving to the US, Atlanta, in August and need a car. I'm a US citizen and have good credit, just haven't lived in the US for some time.

Proposed Budget: 10k.
New or Used: Used.
Body Style: 4 door. Something like a Corolla but no particular preference.
How will you be using the car?: Commuting to the city. Occasional road trips to DC or Florida to visit family.
What aspects are most important to you? Nothing in particular. We've had the same basic car for 8 years without any issues. We're trying to keep cost of living low until for the next few years as she'll be in college so our income will be more limited than usual. We can both drive stick shift.

As an aside, I'd rather stick to reputable dealerships that will allow me to close on something fast, even if it adds a bit to the cost. Every day I don't have a car over there means I'll have to rent one, so any savings I might get from shopping around on private sales would probably be quickly eaten up by that.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

I thought Carvana didn't do test-drives / PPIs, but their return policy lets you give the car back if you don't like it after you buy it.

With that said:

You are overestimating the cost of a rental car, and you're looking for something incredibly generic / common. The only thing that makes this whole thing messy is the fact that the used market is turbofucked right now.

I guess I'm expecting a rental car to be around 50 dollars a day, with about an average of 3 weeks search time, for a total cost of around $1000, which is about 10% of the cost of the car. Even if it's half that, idk if you can get a 5% savings from shopping around in this market.

Plus a whole move-in process to another country, for added stress. It just doesn't seem worth it?

I'm 100% open to getting told I'm completely wrong.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 12, 2021

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Wife and I are moving to the US, Atlanta, in August and need a car. I'm a US citizen and have good credit, just haven't lived in the US for some time.

Proposed Budget: 10k.
How will you be using the car?: Commuting to the city. Occasional road trips to DC or Florida to visit family.
What aspects are most important to you? Nothing in particular. We've had the same basic car for 8 years without any issues. We're trying to keep cost of living low until for the next few years as she'll be in college so our income will be more limited than usual. We can both drive stick shift.

As an aside, I'd rather stick to reputable dealerships that will allow me to close on something fast, even if it adds a bit to the cost. Every day I don't have a car over there means I'll have to rent one, so any savings I might get from shopping around on private sales would probably be quickly eaten up by that.

Hey all, I'm two months out from the move and I know that I can't buy a car this far ahead but I'd like to start getting an idea of what I'll need to do once I get there.

I've updated my budget to 15-20k with financing. My Credit Score is around 750 (normaly 780ish but just opened a card).

Is something like this what I should be looking at? Too expensive for the mileage? Too many miles in 4 years? Any tips welcome.

https://amexnetwork.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listing/2T1BURHE4HC779180/2017-toyota-corolla/

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 9, 2021

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
With today's dumb used car prices, I'm looking at 15-18k for a 2018 corolla with 40k miles.

At what point does it make more sense to just look at new cars and take advantage of low interest financing offers?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Since we're talking about financing, is income a huge factor in loan approvals?

I have a great credit score and no debt, but my income has taken a pretty substantial hit due to a (planned) change-of-life.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Proposed Budget: 15k.

Hi, all. I'm gonna be arriving in Atlanta on the 14th, and my hope is try and get the car situation sorted out as quickly as possible (hopefully within two weeks).

I know it's the worst possible time to buy a car but unfortunately I don't have much of a choice.

My plan right now is to tour some dealerships and look for the best price/mileage/condition Corolla I can find for around 15k, financed.

Any other suggestions on cars that I can look at are welcome.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions on reputable dealerships in Atlanta, that's welcome too.

Finally, from what I understand I should wait as long as possible before getting financing quotes from banks or dealerships as quotes within a 15-day period will only impact my credit score once, right?

Any tips for a first time buyer are welcome, since I've never done a car purchase in the US.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

zedprime posted:

Financing Tldr, make all your inquiries within 2-3 weeks of each other and act on them within a month of the first one is a good rule of thumb although it's not the be all end all rule.

There's a lot of mysticism about the magic credit rating algorithm and how to appease it to go up and down but its all mostly logical to a layman if you stop and think about the business and less about your number.

When you get 5 car loan quotes in a row, they all know you aren't financing 5 separate cars and instead you're checking the market for the best rate. If you get 5 car loans in a row, and go get quoted on a furniture loan while you're at it, the furniture loan is gonna look at the car loan like a done deal and vice versa.

If you get 5 car loans in a row and don't do anything and let them time out, future auto financers are going to look at you in 2 ways: you're a time waster, or you got the car in a different way they can't see yet. A furniture loan will assume you got the car and they can't see it yet. That'll eventually become history and *number go up* but it generally makes sense: your ratings not just financial worthiness but how much of a dick you are to loan to.

When you get 5 loans quoted and eventually get one, it'll take some time to percolate to the ratings but unless it was a pants on head stupid purchase you'll usually see your score go up when it finally gets seen because it's now a known quantity instead of a loan that can go up or down based on final negotiations.

Final point if you make it a point to not dick around too often, if you get 5 quotes, wait too long, and go back to some of them to re-up in reference to the old quote, you are probably gonna get the same quote even though your credit score is worse because you're confirming their suspicion that you just let it time out but didn't do anything like buy another car.

Thanks for this, so essentially I should start getting quotes ASAP if I plan on buying a car on the next month. My plan was to start with a local Credit Union to set a baseline and then use that when I walk in the dealership.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I think they're implying Motronic is racist for thinking Jaguar/Land Rover were good until they got acquired by an Indian company.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I've noticed that rental car prices have been crashing down lately, and anecdotally I've heard that used car prices have been coming down, but I'm not sure how interrelated those two markets are.

Online I'm seeing some really weird pricing where a 2013 Corolla is priced at 18k, and a 2019 Corolla is at 19k.

I'm gonna start hitting dealerships next week, and I'm just curious on people's opinions on how hard I should be trying to negotiate down right now.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

incogneato posted:

Not related to your question, but where are you seeing this? We actually need to rent a car in the next couple weeks, and I'm seeing $90/day for the cheapest economy car at Enterprise still. Almost twice that for cheap economy cars at Hertz. Which is absurd.

If you have some hot tips, I'd love to hear them.

I used Costco Travel and the rental price for an Intermediate/Fullsize (usually the same price) in Atlanta for next week was something like $80 2 months ago, $60 1 month ago, and $40 last night. All on Avis.

N = 1, ofc, so take with a grain of salt.

Also, avoid renting at the airport when possible. In my case it was something like 70 buck/day at ATL vs $40/day in the city.

Edit: checked Miami through Costco and it's even cheaper, like $32/day.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 12, 2021

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I found a car I'm interested in and was hoping to get the thread's opinion.

My wife and I need a daily driver to drop her off at school (about 10 miles away) every day and then just groceries and the ocasional road trip.

I've found a 2015 Ford Focus, 56k miles, 2 owners. Carfax shows up OK except for a minor fender bender in 2016 (no airbag deployment). It's an SE trim with manual transmission (which is ok with both of us), and it has backup cameras which is a big deal for both us.

Price is 12k, but I was hoping to go into the dealership, do a test drive and PPI, and offer 10k cash and see what happens.

I know the market is insane but do you think it's a reasonable deal at 10-12k? And no, we can't wait till prices go down, unfortunately, we need a car ASAP.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

In this market you will hear laughing.

Lol, yeah, most likely but it can't hurt to try.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

You say "$10k cash" like it's a good thing. Do you understand you'd be better off with $10k financed? Most of these places make their money off of dealership financing. Which you can bail out of with your cash later and screw them on their residual if you really goddamn make sure on the terms of the lovely financing agreement they write you on.

So lure them in with a bad financing agreement (72 months, high APR) but make sure I can pre pay it whenever?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I found a car I'm interested in and was hoping to get the thread's opinion.

My wife and I need a daily driver to drop her off at school (about 10 miles away) every day and then just groceries and the ocasional road trip.

I've found a 2015 Ford Focus, 56k miles, 2 owners. Carfax shows up OK except for a minor fender bender in 2016 (no airbag deployment). It's an SE trim with manual transmission (which is ok with both of us), and it has backup cameras which is a big deal for both us.

Price is 12k, but I was hoping to go into the dealership, do a test drive and PPI, and offer 10k cash and see what happens.

I know the market is insane but do you think it's a reasonable deal at 10-12k? And no, we can't wait till prices go down, unfortunately, we need a car ASAP.

Went in today to the dealership to test drive this car, ended up walking away for various reasons but I'm curious about some of the pricing details.

The internet price for the car is 12k. The final price breakdown was as follows:

Market Value Selling Price: $11,999
"Discount": $799
Adjusted Price: $11,200
"Kahu" (some sort of LoJack device): $400
Total Purchase: $11,600
Admin. Service: $799
Elec. Titling Fee: $80
State Tax: $783.64 (ish, can't remember the exact number).
License Plate Fee: $25
Title Fee: $18
Balance: $13,305

I'm mostly curious about this "Kahu" bullshit and the "Admin Service". I pointed out to them that I was under the impression that the Internet Price included all fees except titling, license, etc. and that in the end the "discount" wasn't really a discount if it got added back in the fee.

Regarding "Kahu" they told me they added that to all cars and and that while I didn't have to activate the service, they couldn't remove it or discount it.

After some back and forth I got them to knock down the price by around $500 bucks but the car was just not in enough of a good condition and I walked away. Honestly, they hadn't even bothered to wash it before I got there and the inside even had the last owner's trash in it, the jack was missing, wiper fluid cap was broken and engine was missing a cover that they promised would be replaced before they gave it to me. Car drove well, though.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Lol I figured either the car already had it or they’d installed for their own insurance purposes and we’re trying to pass the cost on to me, but the repo answer is :chefskiss: capitalism so is likely the 10000% the actual reason.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Inner Light posted:

13.3k out the door for a 2015 Ford Focus does not sound like a good deal at all. I don't have to pull up the KBB to have a visceral reaction from that

This market is gonna take years to stop being dumb as hell though.

e: Actually I pulled up Focuses on Carvana and that price I guess is average these days. I think some of this shift is permanent because the mid 2010s saw big upward jumps in reliability, so used cars will inherently have more value left than earlier examples. Ford DCTs aside lol

Carvana has them even higher, at least in my, area. 12.7k out the door, which is what they offered me after haggling, was honestly a “good” price for this market, but the car honestly just gave me a bad vibe.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Nitrox posted:

it's a tracker that will also disable your car if you don't make payments on time. The only purpose of that device is to make your car easier to repossess. Don't go shopping at "buy here pay here" car lots, you're getting fleeced in more ways than you will ever understand.

https://youtu.be/4U2eDJnwz_s

This was an official Toyota dealership, the car was a trade in.

Edit: yeah, just to clarify, the picture someone posted isn’t necessarily what the car I saw had, but it’s definitely making me feel better about walking away.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

That aside, I've never seen any dealership advertise an out the door price as their front-line price. Most won't even give you an estimate of the OTD price online without getting your info / getting you to contact them.

Yeah, I was 100% expecting them to add on stuff the price but I figured it would be upsells and bullshit warranty stuff.

In any case I explicitly told them all I cared was how much I paid out the door.

The manager (he eventually did materialize and was not just an abstract concept) was real adamant that the admin/doc fee was a legal requirement and he couldn’t bring it down or he risked a class action fee (lol jfc no wonder Carvana is making bank).

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of lovely dealership practices, I’d indicated to the dealer that I’d buy the car for $X and he was like “well that’s too low but I’ll check with my manager but it’d go over better with some show of commitment”.

So he takes out a copy of the car’s quote (not even an updated quote with the price I wanted) and wrote down “I will buy and take home today.”, and asked me to sign it.

I looked at him like he was insane. He insisted that “oh, it doesn’t actually mean you’ll buy it”. He eventually dropped it, but what the gently caress.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Let me just reiterate:

gently caress.

This.

Market.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I just bought a car. RIP.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

ethanol posted:

loving geico called me to tell me they stopped payment on my collision check (literally it was in my god drat hands and was going to the bank) because toyota wrote them a letter that says my payoff is $200 more than what it really is. and another $200 payment just processed today so it's really overpaid by $400. everybody are just total morons in this business

getting a call from geico at 4:30 pm on a loving Monday to let me know they stopped my check I waited 29 days for and will be taking another $200 from my side and cutting a new check...I almost lost my poo poo on the phone. Anyways, how do I find an actually good insurance company.

My salesman is pushing a TRD pro on me because that's somehow more available than a trd off road but yeah.. $10k more for some wheels and shocks.. ugh no

I went with State Farm only because supposedly* they are better about paying out than other insurance cos. I suspect in the end they're all extremely the same bullshit but if anyone has any insight, that'd be great.

*according to reddit users /u/dasingularity420 and /u/blazemontana69

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

amethystbliss posted:

Just last night we returned a used 2018 Subaru Impreza Hatchback we got from Carmax because it erupted in smoke and left him stranded on the side of the road. Their service center was a joke so we just got our money back using their 30 day return policy. Back to square one.

What the gently caress

Did it have no coolant at all and your kid drove it in the red for hours or something? How does a 2018 car with that bad of an issue survive even the most basic quality check?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

amethystbliss posted:

Irony is that we bought the car at CarMax <1 week ago, son said it felt really weird and shaky when accelerating on highway. We wanted to do due diligence and took it to a Subaru service center at a big dealership for an extra non-CarMax inspection just to be safe. Son said the Subaru “inspection” was done in about ten minutes and it passed with flying colors. He left, then smoke was pouring out of the hood about 2 miles down the road.

No dash lights came on re: coolant levels and we were told both CarMax and Subaru had checked fluid levels as part of their basic safety inspections. CarMax said they couldn’t have it serviced for two weeks (wtf) so we just said gently caress it and returned it. Also got money back from worthless Subaru inspection. Just feels like stupid bad luck at this point.

Lol jfc, burn it all to the ground.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I keep getting ads for services that say they will lower my insurance payments from like 100 bucks to 20-30 while keeping the same limits, etc.

I'm curious as to what the scam is here.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
This is probably a very dumb question but here it goes.

My wife and I purchased a used car last month and recently got our new plates in the mail. It's a 2020 Kia Rio, if that matters.

As far as I can tell, the old plates are held in by two Philips-head screws. I'm traveling for work for the next month or so, and while my wife isn't the handiest person for repairs, she can use a screwdriver.

The way she tells it, the screws will not budge. We've never had to replace plates before so I figured I'd ask here before sending her over to a mechanic. Is it just a matter of applying more force/torque to the screw or would plates be held by any sort of special system that might require a more technical approach?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

skipdogg posted:

See if the screws have a hex head on them, mine have often been 8 or 10mm and using a socket will give her more leverage on turning them.

I'm fairly sure they were just regular round Philips-head but I'll have my wife send me a picture when she gets back home, thanks.

Throatwarbler posted:

Try some WD-40.

Good idea, thanks.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
You also need a garage or driveway or space where you won’t be hassled as you work on the car for hours.

Also, as someone who likes DIY poo poo but only does it occasionally, some of the stuff that looks easy turns out to be really easy to screw up, like breaking plastic fasteners, stripping screws, nuts, etc., and will easily turn a fun afternoon project into a 10 day nightmare.

These videos done by people who do this kind of stuff every day can easily make things seem easier than they are.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
This is all getting weirdly aggressive. FWIW I appreciated someone adding a real life experience about changing the batteries, and also now I know I can apparently just park in Auto Zone and do those kind of repairs.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I don't recommend them but this popped up in my feed some time ago.

https://intlauto.com/

As far as I know, you don't need a US license or SSN/ITIN to buy a car, it just makes it a shitload easier and you will likely not get access to the best rates without a credit history. You will also pay more for insurance until you have your US license + driving history.

Documented income also goes a long way in making up for a credit history. If you have an offer letter or a first paystub that proves you're making a lot of money, everyone will work with you more than you'd think.

All that said, yeah, if money isn't an object, just get a month-long rental for like 1000-ish and take your time searching. I had the misfortune of looking for a car in this lovely market while handling an international move, and it was a really bad time.

Also, if money isn't an issue, get month-long Airnbnb or something, don't stay in a hotel while looking for an apartment.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 8, 2021

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Methanar posted:

Will the market be better in 6 months?

Better for whom

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
2 months ago I bought a car for 14.5k before fees and I already felt extremely ripped off.

I am now seeing that same car for 18k before fees.

RIP anyone that needs a car and isn't a computer toucher making over 100k

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
With the delays in delivery of new cars, aren’t you basically going to eat the cost of depreciation in rental fees?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Re: Gap Insurance Chat

I'm actually one of the idiots that went with the one the dealership offered. Is it possible to drop it from a financed car or am I hosed until I refinance the lease?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I just read over the terms and I should be able to cancel, minus a 50 dollar fee because gently caress you, of course.

Geico, of course, doesn't offer GAP so I need to shop for it separately. Any recs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

Why do you think you need it? Do you really think your car will be worth less than you owe on it if you total it?

With the car market the way it is, I'm inclined to say gap insurance is for suckers unless you overpaid an obscene amount or have really lovely loan terms.

I didn't overpay in the context of this market, but unless prices keep going up forever, there is no way this car will be worth even 50% of what I paid within 2 years. Cash price was $14.500 when I bought it (that's without fees and the lovely gap insurance), which was already almost the price it was worth new in 2020.

I'd be willing to pay a small lump sum for the peace of mind of knowing that I won't have to put thousands of dollars out of my own pocket to pay off the difference if I total the car right after the market corrects itself.

I mean, right now I've already paid it, really, so even switching to a non-dealer gap will be a net win for me.