Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Not a lease, I meant financing as in a loan. It was "dealer" financing in the sense that the dealer brokered it, but the actual loan was provided through Chase at a reasonable rate.

They just also offered gap insurance right before closing and I took it because I was tired and dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
At the time my fear was, market crashes, car goes to pre-pandemic levels and immediately loses about half its value.

By my calculations, if that happened within the first year, I would have been to pay around 4k difference.

Was it worth the cost of the dealer gap insurance? In hindsight, no. Would it have been worth $40 a year? I think yes, if only for the peace of mind.

Now it's looking like the market isn't gonna correct anytime soon and probably will never fall to prepandemic levels, but I didn't know that at the time.

Edit: not trying to double down here, I'm contacting the dealer to cancel the policy now, just explaining my thinking at the time.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

diadem posted:

I was considering contacting Chrysler. Making a car less safe could hinder the car's statistics, which in turn could in turn generate reputational risk. If this hurts sales more than the effort to resolve and loss of good will with he cash cow dealerships, they may help resolve this.

Plus you raise a good point. I live in the Boston area and don't want my tires slashed. Traffic can be stop and go, and you can be behind someone for a while, and road rage is a thing.

From my understanding, most dealers will almost never give you a price in writing other than what's on the website.

Also, I think you're psyching yourself up too much about the fees. Dealers are scum and add fees as a negotiating tactic, but for you the only thing that should matter is the out-the-door price of the car and that it has the features you want, who gives a poo poo if the dealer wants to divide the price in 20 different items?

I'll make an exception for poo poo that could actually harm the car, like the dealer that tried to bill me 400 bucks for a glorified Lojack that they used to chase down people that didn't keep with their payments or something.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I need to look into replacing poo poo like wipers, air filter, probably due for an oil change as well, in the next 60-90 days. I could also use new floor mats.

Any tips on where to look for deals on this kind of stuff? I figure if I can set some sort of google alert then I might end up saving a few bucks.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I occasionally look up the price of the car I already overpaid for in October 2021, and it's currently going for around for 4k more than that. We're talking a used entry level Kia with over 40k miles. It's extremely depressing.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Friend of mine impulse-bought a 2021 Santa Fe Calligraphy about a year ago year and has only put 6k miles on it.

He's bitching that fuel efficiency is atrocious and wants to switch out to something better, ideally a Hybrid.

I know the market is dumb right now, but from what he tells me he'd be ok going carless for a 2-3 months since he's mostly WFH and in a big metro area so he can use public transportation or Uber as needed.

Would it make sense in this market for him walk into a dealership and try offer to trade-in the Santa Fe for a new car that might be delivered somewhere down the line? To me it seems like a barely used Santa Fe with immediate availability is something valuable enough that a dealer would be incentivized to slash the price of a new car. Or is the market too hosed for even that and he should just keep the Santa Fe until things calm down?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Guinness posted:

He might just be trying to rationalize wanting a different car, which is fine, but he should admit it and stop coming up with bad math to justify decisions under false pretenses.

It is 100% this. He bought the Santa Fe and doesn't like it. He likes the gadgets and wants something in the SUV category, but doesn't like the Santa Fe, specifically.

To be fair to him, he just switched from a 70+ hour a week job to closer to 40 and actually has time to use the car now. Plus this job is outside of the city and he'll start driving more once they go back to in-person, but that won't happen until Q3, at the earliest, so the timing works out.

Edit: ok so in conclusion there's no clear advantage to trading in a good car right now, vs doing it 1 year down the line.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 28, 2022

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

So tell him: if you can afford a different car and that's what makes you happy go buy a different car. Stop trying to rationalize this.

Yeah, let me set up an intervention real quick with my 6-figure earning friend just because he's being slightly BWM about his reasons for buying a car. He wants to trade a Santa Fe for like a sensible hybrid, not a Porche Cayenne.

Guiness' comment (and I guess yours too), answered the question, thanks.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I'll be back in a week or so when he inevitably asks me which Cayenne model is best.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

TheWevel posted:

Did he lease or purchase the Santa Fe?

He purchased it and financed it a fairly a low rate.

In any case, I talked to him again, we looked at some of the cars he wants, and the delivery times were way too long for his comfort, even with the WFH scenario, so problem solved... for now.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
My wife would lose her poo poo when I would keep the car at a lower gear in traffic so I could have more responsiveness.

The sound of the engine running at a high RPMs would just absolutely trigger her for some reason.

She probably had a bit of a point because I probably overcompensate for having driven an entry-level diesel Renault Clio for the first 5 years of my driving life. You'd have to floor the gas pedal on 3rd gear to try and break 80km/h on that thing.

Now we have a boring automatic and we both miss shifting, so I guess everybody lost.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/coryzapatka/status/1508920149243576330?s=21&t=ssjxL84A1JQ3mfodO5YqPA

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I’m going to show my rear end here and confess that I bought a car from Avis last year and the experience was a million times better than that of a dealership.

2 hour test drive or you can rent the car for two days and if you buy it they comp the rental costs.

Means I had time to schedule a visit to a highly rated mechanic that specialized on that brand, had the car lifted and thoroughly checked instead of just a barebones PPI at the dealership, plus actually got drive it in real life situations, parking it in my usual spot, had my wife drive it, drove it in the rain, etc.

The sales process was fairly low stress because the prices are fixed so it was just a matter of pulling the trigger and everything is done over the phone.

Caveat the salespeople clearly make commission on total price so they will try to convince you to go for higher financing and addons like gap insurance but if you say no they don’t push back.

Downside was of course a 1.5 y/o car with 40k miles on it, but I bought with no plans of selling so in the end 20k or 40k didn’t make a difference if I plan on running it for 200k miles.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 15, 2022

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I need to remember to do this, we're planning an interstate trip soon and there's no way that fining tourists for "no front license" isn't some sort of money making mill for small towns.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 16, 2022

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

Are you in a state that actually requires front plates? Because not all do and I cannot fathom even the pettiest of small towns trying to pull that poo poo. Arizona doesn't even issue two plates anymore even if you do vanity/custom tags, you just get one.

No, my state doesn't require front plates, but I understand that it's not a valid excuse once you cross over to a state that does.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

This is incorrect. Your car must conform to the laws of the state in which it is registered, not the one it is physically driving through.

Are you telling me some random Quora answer I read didn't have correct information?

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

That escalated quickly

Funny how there's no mention of any interest rates.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I have a 2020 Kia Rio S. It is very needs suiting, despite having been a desperation buy in the hellscape of 2021. I'm also aware that it's also basically a glorified RC car.

We might possibly be having to move in a couple of months, from GA to NY. As far as I can tell, all of our possessions should fit in the smaller U-Haul trailers.

I'm considering our different options and while I personally would like the convenience of just towing everything and dropping the trailer at the nearest U-Haul location, I feel like installing a hitch on such a small car is a bad idea and I'm looking for some confirmation.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Thanks everyone for the insight.

I hadn't considered that the road would have some mountain turns, but yeah that makes sense.

Truck + car tow was the second option, with eventually Truck and going back for the car if necessary.

I'd rather avoid the convoy because with just two of us and such a long drive, I'd feel safer if we had the option to switch drivers when necessary.

Thanks again.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Hey everyone, my parents have a 2010 Ram 2500 for farm work and recently cracked the fog light glass casing (light still works).

Been searching for a replacement for it with the part number that appears on the back of the light housing, and all the results point to fog lights for 2005 Dodge Durangos.

Can I be reasonably confident that as long as the part number matches then it should be the same thing? They don't live in the US but can't find a replacement back home, so I'm taking the part with me when I visit them since it's not urgent, but obviously not a lot of margin error for returning it if we buy the wrong thing.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
My expat group is all from a country where all gas stations have free air pumps for your tires and apparently this is not a thing in the US (at least not in GA).

I made the mistake of pointing out that Costco has complimentary nitrogen pumps. Nitrogen v. Air chat has been going on for two days now.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of luxobarges, why do I keep seeing Bentleys, Lambos and Maseratis in really out of place settings in ATL?

Like my Apt community is not what you’d consider high income and there’s someone here that parks their Bentley in the outdoor parking every day (and you can see it’s scratched up and dirty like any other normal-rear end car)?

Saw a booted Maserati parked on the street for over a week the other day.

A banged up Lambo SUV keeps popping up at a friends’s guest parking.

Just people buying up salvages and treating them like poo poo?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Currently driving a rented 2020 300 and Do Not Recommend.

This thing struggles to get 25mpg in flat highway jfc, plus handles like a (very nice) boat.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
There was a TikTok where a dealership asked its own dealers what they were paying for their brand new trucks and they all gave answers in 700-1000/month range.

Everyone involved seemed to think this was good publicity for the dealership, so I don’t think we can really expect these people to actually understand the finances at work behind a car sale, they just know that higher monthly payment = more commission

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
This was before the massive rate hikes too.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

Most of these are literally more than I pay to rent my 1br in NYC (five minutes from a subway station). I guess the point is to normalize high prices and brag about how much they earn, but lmao

Don’t want to turn this into NYC chat but where the hell did you land a sub 1300 1br in NYC?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Beet posted:

Not entirely clear on the modern character and informational requirements of this thread(is the template truly necessary for a pretty broad advice outreach?), but I'm looking for some advice on options for buying a reliable, relatively modern car that ideally wouldn't cost more than $20k. For background, I have what could best be described as utterly mediocre credit. Not bad, but not especially good, either. Currently, I net around 45k/year and I am mostly saving a large part of that to ideally buy a house in the next two years or so, currently taking advantage of my aging boomer parents' largesse to have minimal living expenses whilst doing so. I could theoretically pay straight cash for a car, but I would rather put down a substantial down payment and take out a modest loan to improve my creditworthiness in the meantime. I've only ever personally purchased two cars in my life, both sub-$4000 used cars that were more than a decade old at the time of purchase.

Here's the rub: I work a graveyard shift and have some pretty severe social anxiety. Also the car thing is relatively urgent, my existing ride (a 2004 Honda Accord) is rapidly deteriorating due to a degree of negligence stemming from the working nights issue. At this point, I just want to start fresh with a car that I would actually have some sense of propriety over and keep in good working condition (whether or not that actually works out, this needs to happen). What are my options for going about such a thing? I'm not a car nerd in the least, I just need something that I can rely on. Is there a trustworthy way to buy a car via the internet? And if so, how onerous are the little things?

So the TLDR of this post is that you are a 20-30 year old with bad credit, making around 45k a year and heavily subsidized by your parents, who wants to buy a 20k car they can't afford after a life of driving lovely beaters that you've never taken the time or effort to maintain (but this time you will because of reasons). You also want to buy it 100% online because of social anxiety.

I personally think you need to take a look at your life circumstances before dropping 20k like this, especially if you're also planning on buying a house "in the next two years or so".

Otherwise, I guess actually follow the OP's proposed format so people here can actually give you some suggestions because just "20k" and "low maintenance" is just going to get you the answer of "Prius".

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

zedprime posted:

Am I the only one that caught 45k net? 20k is substantial but not really irresponsible depending on the rest of the budget. Aggressive but affordable note with 5k down. If it were gross it's a little more of a losing prospect but could still be structured and something I'd only recommend to a carfan.

I did catch it, but I don't trust what he means by "net", and honestly at that income range how much of a deduction are you getting from taxes, 10k a year? Does that really change his budget that much?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Whatever you might think about the stock market being a useful indicator of value, I'd be hard pressed to put my faith in a company that lost 97% of its value in the past year.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but like you mentioned, you don't get to do a PPI, and have to trust that you'll be able to effectively return the car within the 7 day window (ie: the return has to be accepted, someone has to pick the car up, someone has to process your refund) if there's something wrong with it.

Plus the titling issues, or getting the plates sent. Obviously if it's a good deal, go for it, but paying a 1-2k premium for that uncertainty when there's other similar services or just dealing with a dealership, I personally don't think it's worth it.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Edit: my OP was needlessly confrontative. I just meant to say that I would be worried about giving a first time driver a huge truck with outdated safety features.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 27, 2023

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I kind of envy the fact that you live disconnected enough from the news to have missed interest rates going up over the past two years.

That’s not sarcasm.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
So this might be out of scope for the thread but hopefully someone here has some insight.

I moved from GA to NY in January 2023.

At the time I called Geico and told them about this and they issued me a NY state ID for the purposes of registration.

Due to a new job I kept pushing the trip to the DMV. I finally registered the car in 03/06/2023. I never stopped making insurance payments during that time.

Today I received a Suspension Order from the NY DMV because Geico wouldn't confirm I had coverage.

I called Geico and they essentially said that the NY state ID was for the purpose of registration, but that my car had still been insured in GA during this time.

The NY DMV has a website to upload proof of insurance and lift the suspension order.

I currently have two ID cards from Geico:

What I'm unclear on is if I was actually covered in NY during the time period of the first card, or if that was just for the purposes of registration and NY would not consider it valid. I'd rather eat the lapsed insurance fine than dig myself into a world of poo poo by making false statements.

Geico was not very helpful and just said to talk to the DMV.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Deteriorata posted:

States can be really difficult with insurance stuff. Call a local Geico agent and get your policy transferred to NY. That will put you in their database and should set you straight.

I unfortunately panicked and got it transferred over the phone so I don’t know how if I actually have a local agent assigned to me or if my stuff now gets handled directly by the corporate office.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is your father a crash test dummy by trade?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
We’re going to be offloading our car on Carmax or Carvana. We barely drive it anymore.

The car’s in generally good condition, but slightly overdue on an oil change and the battery is on its last legs (which we realized because we barely drive it anymore and it occasionally needs a jump).

Is it worth swapping the oil and battery before they get appraised or will it not really move the needle?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it definitely runs if we use it once a week or more, but lately we are not using it even that much.

I was mostly worried that they’d do a Health check on the battery and dock an enough off the price that it was worth just replacing it myself.

Thanks!

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I bought my car used in GA. Since it was financed, Chase held on to the title.

I moved to New York and Chase sent the title to the NY DMV.

Apparently in NY both the lienholder and the owner are supposed to have copies of the title, but NY very unhelpfully does not automatically issue you a copy of the new title. You're supposed to ask (and pay) for a duplicate. Nobody at the DMV tells you this.

I found all of this out when I was supposed to drop my car off at Carmax so now I get to see if the duplicate arrives before the Carmax quote expires.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.