Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
My wife and I have decided to buy a new car. We have both bought used cars over the years, but neither of us has bought a new car before. We know what we want, and we have gotten a quote from a dealer. We have not given anyone any money yet. My wife is of the impression that if you are special ordering something then you don't have much room to bargain, but I disagree. Consumer Reports advertises a new car buying guide in their magazine, but unfortunately it is not yet available for the 2012 model we're looking at. Is this report, or other ones, worth the money? CR's is $14, another I saw was $40.

What more information do I need to effectively negotiate a price beyond dealer invoice, dealer incentives/rebates and holdback? Anything I should do or absolutely should not do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

What are you getting and define special order? You can certainly haggle on it, and if it is something at all common that is all the more reason to haggle around.

In the case of my dad, he special ordered his car from a dealer out of state that he never even set foot in. They made a hell of a deal and arranged to have it delivered to the local Chevy dealer with the absolute lowest delivery fee.

2012 Chevy Cruze. By special order I mean choosing the options and colors and all instead of just picking one off the lot.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
What does DFC refer to on a vehicle quote, is the the destination charge?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

gvibes posted:

Yeah, destingation feright chartge.

I am not going to bother correcting my spelling, that is freaking amazing right there.

Wow, nice job on that. So this quote I have on a cruze has the following on the bottom:
code:
MSRP W/DFC:        $27,350.00 
Invoice W/DFC:     $25,617.79
GMS W/DFC:         $25,450.45 
Supplier W/DFC:    $25,450.45
The MSRP and invoice prices are not correct, and I'm sorting those out, but what do the GMS and supplier figures refer to?

e: Heard back from the dealer, he acknowledges that the msrp is too high by 1000, but says that the invoice is correct due to advertising charges totaling over $600. Seems pretty loving steep to me.

stubblyhead fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 16, 2011

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

Wait a minute... should even a top spec Cruze be that much?

No, I'm US. The top trim line for the Cruze has a base invoice of $22070, and the options I have on there total to $2192, plus $750 for DFC. I balked at the advertising charge, so he's offered me $25012 minus $1100 in rebates. I think I can talk him down a little more though, and I haven't really even started with other dealerships in the area.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Don Lapre posted:

For that kind of money a ford focus is way better equipped. Its also a better car. Faster, better handling.

This car's for my wife really. She had some car trouble when she was out of town a few weeks ago, and the rental that AAA hooked her up with was a Cruze. She really liked it a lot. She's a lifelong Chevy lover, and the Focus is, in her words, "a car for tweaker dirtbags."

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
The base invoice for the 2012 Cruze LTZ is $22070. RS package adds $524, nav system is $876 (has some upgraded sound system features as well), and the sunroof is $792. Like I said, this is going to be my wife's car, I seriously doubt I'll drive it much at all. She had one for a weekend and loved it, and while I appreciate everyone's advice, this is the car we're going to get.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

Alrighty, but post a trip report of how much discounting you get off the price.

We've worked out a price of $23875, which is $1112 below invoice. Good deal?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Don Lapre posted:

Are you doing a trade? Im assuming you are financing elsewhere or are you getting 2.9%?

We were planning to trade in the old shitbox, but my wife was talking to the neighbor today, and her granddaughter may be interested in buying it. It's fine for short trips around town, which is what she's looking for. I'm pre-approved through my bank at 3.0, but if they can do better I'll certainly entertain it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

an audible groan posted:

I'm in the market for a used car right now and about to start applying for loans and I basically know very little about what I'm doing. My credit score is laughable at ~600, but I have 3k for a down payment, plus a trade in worth about 2k and my (salaried) job, which I've had for a year now, will cover up to a ~300 car payment with a reasonable budget.

I'm not too worried about being able to get financed at a dealer, but that's not my first choice. Specifically I've got my eye on a 2002 subaru WRX, $10k and 100k miles. I've heard people complaining about the difficulty of getting a loan for a car with over 100k miles-- is that a major deal breaker for lenders? I applied for a loan on a similar car with my bank earlier this year and was denied, but was never told why. Am I going to be wasting my time trying?

What's the status of your current vehicle? I think your best option will be to keep driving that for a while longer and save every penny you can, then buy something in the 7-8k range for cash. If you're trying to build up credit, get a credit card, be responsible with it, and pay the thing off every month.