Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

sneakyfrog posted:

lol if i had land rover money i would rally car my fiesta

Buy a used BOF SUV with good ground clearance and save the rest of the money for actually doing that because it sounds awesome AF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

sneakyfrog posted:

lots of corn fields with if the wind gets blowing you can get some serious drifts of snow that are hood height in some cases. its just a hosed up spot

Get an old 4x4 colorado and mount a plow on the front. Get to work and do your neighbors a favor at the same time!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

Sometimes I drive on an unpaved road, and sometimes it snows too, so I guess I better buy a 14mpg truck!

All my cars get that anyways. :(

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

If your usage does not include "going rock crawling", Wrangler is never the answer. Especially now that the Bronco sort-of exists. Not that anyone here has actually driven one yet, but it'd be pretty much impossible for the Bronco to not be a better choice for the vast majority of Wrangler buyers.

It's a Jeep thing. You wouldn't understand.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If you don't have a credit history, I would take out the loan and pay it back early just to build the credit. My take is if there's an institution you know you're going to be doing a lot of business with, get the loan through them. I have a good history of financing cars through my credit union, and that means they are a lot more flexible working with me than they would be with someone right off the street. This obviously won't work with the big banks unless you're a billionaire, but it does with the smaller ones.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Also condolences for having to be in Ohio for that long.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

feelix posted:

Yeah I think I'm gonna try to do that tomorrow. Assuming I like the car I just wanna get out the door at this point and I am absolutely gonna pay it off at 6months when the early repayment penalty ends, so it's literally less than 100 bucks difference between that and 4% which is what I was trying to get

Uhhh any reputable car loan shouldn't have an early repayment penalty wtf

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Well yeah... It's not your car.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

However, not buying a luxury car is probably the best financial decision.

So many good thread titles.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

The 1500 pounds of Americans counts towards the vehicle payload not its tow capacity.

But what if I'm towing my 400 lb cousin behind me?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Leased German cars, baby.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

hey guys. haven't posted here in a while but i think i'm finally ready to take the plunge and buy the drat car, which is looking like either a toyota corolla or corolla hybrid.

just curious, with all the new fangled features available in new cars nowadays, which ones are really important to have?

For me personally, it would be your preferred flavor of Apple Carplay or Android Auto and whatever driver safety nannies you can get (lane keeping, radar cruise, collision warning, etc). If your car has different headlight options, it's usually worth it to spring for the better ones. The rest is pretty much to taste, but parking assists and 360 cameras are always helpful so you don't curb your wheels.

Edit: A HUD is loving amazing if you can swing it, but you normally only find them on luxury cars.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Uthor posted:

Frankly, this is because of how bad car UIs are, not how good Android Auto is. When it doesn't work, I find myself more angry and distracted than when using a "normal" UI. The voice controls that it prioritizes work as I expect them to about 50% of the time.

The important part is they receive regular OTA updates instead of being obsolete after 2 years.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If "Additional fees and accessories" is that much, I'd be figuring out what exactly is in it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah, negotiate everything separately. Figure out how much the car will cost all in, then figure out financing rates (while having a backup so they can't give you worse than you already have), then figure out trade in.

Gives them less wiggle room to hide profit.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Credit scores are a thing that everyone has been obsessed over to the point of causing unreasonable anxiety. Your credit score is probably going to go down more from opening a new car loan than it will from the hard pulls, and you should be fine with that because you just increased your debt substantially and probably aren't going out and getting a mortgage immediately after this.

Don't worry about what happens to your credit score AFTER you get the loan you need, because at that point it stops mattering until you need another loan.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Valtis posted:

Unfortunately the cheapest Kona Electric I could find after checking a few websites was €34000. I'm a bit hesitant on pure EVs as well as the charging infrastructure is still immature; with hybrid I always have the option to fall back on gas if needed.

A plugin-hybrid would be my dream car, there are charging spots available where I work (although almost always in use, from what I have seen). New car + plugin-hybrid + my budget however seems to be an impossible combination. Buying a used hybrid probably would be the most rational choice (Prius seems to be recommended a lot by this thread), but I also really like the idea that I can customize the car and that I don't have to deal with any mechanical wear and tear the previous owner may have failed to mention.

If your concern about buying used is not having unexpected expenses, that's what a PPI is for. If you have a mechanic you trust look it over, there's basically a 0% chance a used car is going to cost more than the depreciation on a new car. The only way a new car makes financial sense is if you're planning to keep it for 8+ years; and even then, it's iffy.

If there's an emotional component of "I want to be the first owner," that's totally fine, but it's never ever ever going to save you money. As for customizing it, Priuses are one of the most popular cars on the road. There are literally tens of millions of them and someone will have the exact spec you want for sale.

Also, your commute is relatively short and even in Europe, you probably won't save all that much money on gas and will almost certainly never make back the extra you spend getting a hybrid. Maybe you'll save enough on registration taxes for it to make financial sense - IDK what that looks like for you guys.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Mar 14, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

bicievino posted:

I'm guessing cloth > leather, but besides that?

You would be wrong. Leather can be wiped clean. Cloth just gets gross forever. There's a reason shoes are made from leather. Vinyl is king of easy to clean surfaces but most people don't really want vinyl any more.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

agree that inside a car leather is usually easier to clean with some exceptions, but plenty of shoes are made from cloth, what the hell?

They are, but as I sit here wearing a pair of canvas Vans, it's clear that there are downsides there. Most shoes are leather.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

they make very sophisticated materials that are not canvas now

Are you really being pedantic about the existence of exotic water resistant materials when my original point was that leather is used for shoes because it's easy to clean? Not all easy to clean shoes have to be made of leather for that point to still be valid.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

PCjr sidecar posted:

when you run out of driveway space.

So true :sigh:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

360 degree cameras are transformational if you have a car with poo poo visibility or is big.

Guillotines solve the same problem but more permanently.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Proposed Budget: Less than $10k?
New or Used: Used
Body Style:
  • Sedan, suv, or hatchback.
  • Don't want a big vehicle.
  • Prefer 4-door but if 2-door is a big difference then that's okay.
How will you be using the car?:
  • Mainly just day-to-day city driving.
  • Somewhat occasionally driving ~3 hours on highway to a different metro.
  • Somewhat less occasionally driving up big mountains for snowboarding.
  • Generally just driving myself.
What aspects are most important to you?
  • Longevity. I don't want to have to buy a car again for a while after buying this car.
  • All wheel drive.

Do you live in a state (CA) where chains are required without AWD? If not, Prius, Corolla or whatever other small Japanese hatch/sedan you can get a good price on. Hatch is probably better for the cargo space.

If you're unfortunate enough to live in CA or similar, you're probably going to have a really hard time finding a reliable long-term AWD car in your budget. We're talking Subi with 6 figure mileage here...

KillHour fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 6, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thank you for the response.

I checked out carvana and it looks like I’d need to expand my budget to $20k before I find something quality.

Does hat sound about right?

Probably. Why exactly do you need AWD? Reliability is at odds with AWD, so saying both are most important to you is like saying you need a car that can go 200 but also get good gas mileage.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I didn’t realize it was that much of a trade off / tension.

AWD is to help safely go up steep snowy mountains.

AWD adds a bunch of finicky differentials and clutch packs and computers and...

You could get a crosstrek like the poster above said and it would be really good at getting up snowy mountains. It's also a turbo flat 4 with a complicated drivetrain.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Guinness posted:

The Crosstrek would be a much better vehicle if it had a turbo, but alas

Wow I just assumed it was because why the hell would a modernish 2L 4 be NA? That's just sad. Are we sure it can even get up a mountain?

luminalflux posted:

It's not a turbo (gently caress i wish) but what's the issue with it being a flat-4?

Two heads, which means twice as many top end things to theoretically go wrong. Also, I hear they're a PITA to work on and most shops probably don't have a ton of experience with them because the only manufacturers who still use them are Subaru and Porsche.

nm posted:

People keep saying this but with well designed systems is seems like BS. The most reliable part of any subaru or audi is the AWD system. The engine or transmission (esp in CVT subarus) will fail long before the center diffs.
Now, you do have twice the CV boots and what not, so there is an extra cost, but the only reason AWD vehicles seem to be unreliable is most of them are subarus and audis.

You're not really hurting my case here.

Also, I'm benchmarking this against a Prius, which has an absurdly simple (and genius) drivetrain. I'm not saying the AWD system will fail; I'm just saying it's yet another thing to go wrong on a not very reliable car.

Space Gopher posted:

This is the answer, as long as you only need "FWD with occasional help" AWD instead of something with maximum capability.

Older CR-Vs and RAV4s might still run into the "$10k gets you something 10 years old with 100k miles on it" problem, because the used car market is batshit right now, but they're for the most part very reliable, and driven by a demographic that usually doesn't abuse their cars too badly.

I forgot about this because I figured they would be too expensive. This is probably the right answer though.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 9, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The thing that's weird to me is the bank/CU doesn't need to know anything about where you're buying it from than what name to put on the cashier's check. Like, after you give Carvana that check, they have nothing to do with the car any more - it's all between you and the bank/CU.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I was shocked at how much of a beast my Stinger was in deep snow, even with all seasons on it (The winters needed to be replaced and there was less than a year left on my lease so I said gently caress it - I have the Focus for when it's really bad). Thing just did not give a gently caress and passed stuck SUVs left and right.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The thread has a rightful suspiciousness of AWD requirements, but I think the first question to ask is what tires does the current car have.

The short answer for default CUV recommendation is Rav4.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I sometimes miss terrible abusive situations too. It's why I'm into cars.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Kilonum posted:

I mean, my whole life has just been a series of terrible abusive situations.

Show us on the doll what Lowtax did to you

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mef989 posted:

I had always thought Japanese vehicles were reliable, but I've read a few times now since posting that Titans are no-go's. Just curious if there's a reason.

Everything Nissan makes is hot garbage and has been for years. The only reason it's not in the title next to rentals and salvage titles is because it won't fit.

This isn't just from a reliability standpoint, either - they're hateful piles of poo poo to live with, exceeded in the US only by anything FCA makes. Nissan is the deadbeat cousin of Toyota and Honda who keeps having to go back into rehab after relapsing and being found in an alley unconscious with a needle still in his arm.

Source: I travelled for 3 years and drove literally hundreds of rentals and rode in thousands of ubers.

I really want the new Z to be good :sigh:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 19, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Congratulations on your new (lightly used) Stinger GT.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

nwin posted:

I don’t live with much snow now, but I could get transferred somewhere with snow. How does RWD do in the snow with snow tires?

I think it would do fine. You can get it in either AWD or RWD and I have the AWD, which is an absolute beast in the snow, even in Buffalo. Both are rear-biased, so I think they wouldn't be too different.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this tends to be a very utilitarian thread

Indeed. I only post about the cars I buy for the comedic juxtaposition and inevitable flames.

With that in mind, I will now hear arguments about whether I should get the exterior CF package on the new M4. Aaaaand go.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I am not.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

in that case no as the exterior carbon fiber will only betray your poser nature the minute someone gets in their car

I have a body like a goon and I don't want to gamble on if I fit. :(

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wranglers should have come with the same warning sticker that demons came with - it's technically street legal but it's only meant to get you to the trail and back.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You didn't say your budget, but you should also consider that newer generations of car (:cough: prius :cough:) are going to have MUCH better safety features. The stuff that has come out in the last 10 years as far as safety assists has made it such that I'd have a hard time considering something older unless I truly couldn't afford it - especially if you're someone with less experience behind the wheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Given the amount you plan on driving gas mileage is pretty much the last thing you should worry about. Focus on getting the most modern car you can with the best safety features for the money. A Prius might still be a good option for the reliability but I'm not sure I'd take an older Prius over a newer Corolla for the same money in your situation.

A Leaf/Volt might actually be a good option if you have a place to charge it.