Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

I still have a pretty good amount of time on both the commuting to work and baby-conceiving fronts,

Your username implies that your offspring should be the majority population of a small country by now, a la Gengis Khan. Hop to it, bud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There are exactly 5 people who claim they would buy a new manual wagon and have accounts on all the car forums and are loud enough to sound like 50,000 people. When a car manufacturer is dumb enough to listen they say "I meant if it was free and gave you a blowjob while you drive it" and declare they will buy one used in 3 years at half off.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm not sure why you think you have to plug in a Prius.

Edit: beaten

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

DildenAnders posted:

gently caress off. I never said I was only looking for a wagon and this is the first place I've asked about getting a car period. Whining about someone's preference doesn't help anyone.

I wasn't even responding to you, dude. I was agreeing with/continuing the joke of the post above mine. The "why doesn't everyone make a manual brown wagon that has good driving dynamics and costs no money and runs on unicorn farts" has been an AI meme since forever. The reality is the ones that do exist cost ridiculous amounts of money because nobody wanted them when they were new and now that they're extinct, rich nerds fight over who gets to fart in the seats of the few that are left running. You can't find one because everyone bought SUVs 5-10 years ago new instead of spending 50 grand on what internet forums posters said they wanted, and that's what I was making fun of. I say this as someone who has a manual hatchback in the driveway.

Edit: and that still isn't even responding to your question, it's explaining the joke I made completely independent of your question. The answer to your question is get the newest thing you can find in the best condition within your budget because you're not going to find a manual fun car for that money.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 8, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Uthor posted:

From what I understand, deposits are non-binding and the vehicle can be sold to the next person who rolls up with a bag of cash.

Deposits are whatever you and the person you're negotiating with agree on. Good luck enforcing that though.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You're a perfect Carvana candidate. See what they have on their website in your area. Just make sure you get a PPI done at an independent mechanic before buying.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

"Runs great, no rust. Last owner killed by mob. Needs new windshield. Few bullet holes. $5000 OBO."

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LionArcher posted:

In general avoid 2010's. They're the only real lemon year that I'm aware of, because of common oil leakage issues. That being said, Cadillac converters are being cut off of them at a high rate. So if you do get one, have a body shop weld a metal cover over it to discourage thieves.

i dont think op was planning on converting their prius into a cadillac so it shouldnt be a problem

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My experience with FCW is it saved my rear end once late at night when the guy in front of me didn't have working brake lights and the car noticed him slowing down before I did. All people are bad drivers, relatively speaking. Doesn't mean we shouldn't all try to be better drivers, but the instrumentation is meant to augment your abilities not replace them.

Internet Explorer posted:

This was my read of the situation. Seriously, might be worth a chat if you can get to a doctor.

Medication isn't a silver bullet for ADD and being on low doses of amphetamines for years fucks you up. That being said, if you can't manage your disease in some way, you're disabled and shouldn't be driving.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

I don't think anyone said it was. Someone said "maybe get some medication," and both of us said try to see a doctor. Sometimes easier said than done in the US, but yeah. Agreed with the general consensus that if your collision avoidance stuff is going off with any sort of frequency, it might be time to look into that root cause.

I know; I just have first hand experience with it and wanted to call it out because it's a common misconception. It's entirely possible OP is already seeing a doctor and attempting to manage their disease with exercises and coping mechanisms (or even medication - they shouldn't have to feel like they need to tell us that). It's also completely possible that OP is in reality a pretty safe driver but is still worried about it - being aware of being easily distracted at least puts them in the top 50% of drivers in my book; above those who are easily distracted but think they're perfect drivers.

Or maybe they're a menace to society and go through cars like tic tacs but they drive anyways because LOL imagine not driving in most of America. Hard to tell over the internet.

... What were we talking about again?

MrOnBicycle posted:

It isn't, but can do wonders for many patients with ADD/ADHD. Should be monitored closely as well, but I mean if you have bad enough ADD that you can't drive safely you really are a candidate for all the patient information and "therapy" classes as well as potentially getting medication. There are alternatives to amphetamines as well (even if they aren't always as effective). If one of my patients came and told me what that poster told me I'd likely tell them to stop driving, and if they continued I'd have to have their license revoked until they've done the above and proved that they can drive. It sucks, but at the same time can't be risked.

lol there's no way you're for real

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I feel for you because it sucks to be put on blast especially for a medical thing by bunch of randos on the internet. We're just so bored of recommending Priuses to everyone

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

MrOnBicycle posted:

Hey that's the way it is here. You need permission from a doctor to drive if you have certain medical conditions or ADD/autism.

Lol what? You need a waver to drive with ADD where you are? That would never fly here.

Edit: FCW and lane departure and all the gizmos are good. People who say "you should just be a good alert driver all the time" are up their own rear end and probably don't realize how bad they are at driving. Very few people are saying "my car has these safety features so let's watch a movie instead of paying attention!" In reality, people are not seeing people next to them and merging unsafely or not noticing a potential accident all the time because they get away with it 99% of the time until they suddenly don't. People have blind spots and people don't turn their head enough and sometimes you're too distracted by the idiot who just cut you off to notice the person next to you trying to merge. It's all good to say "pay attention when you drive" but don't let that lead you down the road of "and then you won't need the nannies"

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 17, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thanks for reminding me to look into getting a pilots license tho. It's on my bucket list.

Welcome to ADD airlines where our motto is "hey that cloud looks like a duck"

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 17, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

DildenAnders posted:

Might not be relevant to purchasing one perse, but if you ever have to change a tire on one of those, they can be an absolute bitch to get off. Idk if has anything to do with the hybrid system but the couple of times I've helped people change the tires on them I've had to really wack at the wheel before it came off.

That's just that legendary Lexus engineering tolerance

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Unsinkabear posted:

Congrats! But can you lift it?

Lexuses get slammed.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

pokeyman posted:

All y'all are wise and generous with your time, and I appreciate it!

If you really think think this, you should come to AI proper so we can disabuse you of that impression

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

nwin posted:

Looking to spend under $25k for a new or used 4-door reliable car that is sporty. I need 4-doors because of car seats (usually 1, seldom 2).

Wants:

-CarPlay (or the ability to easily add a compatible receiver)

-87 octane gas. Willing to use premium if needed.

-heated seats and/or steering wheel

-vented seats if leather

Don’t care:

-Manual or auto
-brand
-sedan, suv, or hatchback

Define sporty.

Fast in a straight line?
Looks fast in a straight line to an average person?
Small and maneuverable?
Actually puts down fast lap times on a track?
Not actually fast but still fun to drive?

What do you drive now? What have you driven in the past? What did you like or not like about them? Will you give up the sporty aspect for the luxury aspect or vice versa?

Everyone thinks something different when they hear "sporty" and apparently at least one person thinks of a Lexus GS.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Well he wants something reliable with ventilated and heated seats, that's about the sportiest I could come up with for his budget.

Oh yeah for sure. Just wanted to understand the benchmark we were comparing to.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Kia K5 or Stinger?

Stinger or G70.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Last gen's base engine stinger is much slower than the new one, so in normal times, it would drop in price like a rock. It's still a good car, just lacking in acceleration. You can't get cooled seats unless you get a fully loaded GT2 though and car max offered me 36k to buy mine soooooo

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ethanol posted:

I got a notification on my credit that toyota did a hard pull... should I go shop other lenders even though I know the truck won't be delivered for at least a month and a half? so the inquiries show up as one pull?

If you're optimizing your credit this much, it probably doesn't matter.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I hate on pointless SUVs as much as the next guy, but a Rav4 is a mid size appliance car with a lift and plastic cladding. It's not going to get substantially worse gas mileage than the Camry it's based on.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

So do you have a question or did you just come in here to swing your dick around?

No such thing as a new FoRS, BTW. If you want one, it's gonna be used. Bright side is you might find one that already has truck nuts if you look around.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Loan Dusty Road posted:

Budget said 80k so just get a corvette.

Technically, he said for 2 years so that's $160k. Get a Corvette with a cage and a diesel F250 to tow it to the track. Make sure you save enough for a matching Punisher vinyl wrap on the both of them.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The thread has spoken. Enjoy your new Prius.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's a really bad time to be shopping for a car you don't actually need right now because *gestures wildly at everything* but if you're dying to blow all your cash on a fedoratrilby with wheels, the following will help:

- Subjectively, what is the fastest-feeling car you have ever driven?
- Subjectively, what is the best car you have ever driven?
- What is your actual budget?
- Have you ever driven on a track?
- Are you going to drive this car on the track? No, seriously. Are you going to deal with the bullshit of changing out your brake pads (twice), changing your oil, cleaning all your garbage out, sitting through safety lectures, spending $300-1000 of your hard earned cash and risking the complete destruction of your new car to spend maybe 40 minutes on a track that is probably a full day's drive away? Are you going to do this exactly once and never do it again?
- Are you willing to learn to drive stick?
- How much bullshit are you willing to put up with for the sake of having a "cool car"?
- Can you stomach your car being worth ~25% what you paid for it when you go to sell it?
- If this car suddenly stopped existing (because you wrapped it around a tree), would it be an issue?

If the answer to any of these questions is "oh gently caress," congratulations on your used automatic Miata. You can pick up your complementary "no, I'm not a hairdresser" bumper sticker at the cashier.

Nomyth posted:

ideal car in my head is a lifted coupe.

Edit for some tips because I'm feeling particularly helpful:

- Driving a car in any motorsport means needing to know how to do basic poo poo like change your brakes, adjust tire pressures, change oil and a bunch of other poo poo. There is no exception to this.
- A "Rally car" is not a street car with a lift kit. They cost more than your entire salary to build and maintain, require extensive knowledge to run safely and constantly break even though they're made of the most solid poo poo imaginable. Turns out rocks are bad for cars. You will not be rallying anything any time soon.
- Conversely, you don't need a "Rally car" to drive on a gravel road. Just drive slow so you don't chip the paint, dingus.
- We can't tell you what kind of car you want. You have to test drive them and you'll know when you drive it.
- Most performance cars that aren't 50k+ are going to be manual.
- There's exactly zero reason to buy a car new if you're just going to beat on it. Cars don't spontaneously explode after 50k miles, even ones that are driven hard (if you maintain them)
- All cars need maintenance. All cars need maintenance. This is not negotiable; it is a fact of life.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 27, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nitrox posted:

Guns are also horrendously overpriced at the moment, fyi

I'm not sure I trust OP with either.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

zedprime posted:

There are tons of people in trades and engineering who have never been taught budgeting and have 90k+ salaries and spend it all on corvettes and boats and end up eating Vienna sausages out of a shoe when the boat sinks and they're sued for tboning their Corvette into a minivan of a family of 6.

How DARE you, sir. The house of cars I have so cleverly built by spending twice my mortgage on toys will never fall! Never!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Inner Light posted:

What's wrong with the automatic BRZ? I guess I'm not as big a purist... I haven't driven a manual and don't have a big desire to given that I live in a very dense city, but I still want a fun car. Doesn't auto BRZ fit that definition?

A BRZ isn't fast. Like at all. The fun part is that it makes you work for every ounce of speed. Getting the automatic kind of defeats that.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Weird? Murano Cross Cabriolet. Don't do this

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GD_American posted:

Do they have the same head gasket issues as the RS?

No, and you shouldn't worry about it anyways. The head gasket issue wasn't "there was a design issue with the engine" the issue was "the factory hosed up and put the wrong part in." I would be shocked if there were any cars left that didn't have the recall done.

bergeoisie posted:

I've previously toyed with the idea of a giant SUV, but they seem absurdly more expensive than a minivan and I don't really understand why.

Because for some reason I still don't understand, all the other millennials got together without me to decide that the new "cool car that shows you're a wealthy and interesting person" was going to be full-size SUVs and pickup trucks. I must have slept in that day. Maybe Gen Z will save us with 80s wedges again.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 28, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

bergeoisie posted:

Yeah, I was hoping to only spend 70k additional after trade ins. I'm assuming I'll get a few grand from the Civic and 20ish from the X1. Let's assume 25k total for ease of math. I'm assuming a new Sienna will be around 35k. That leaves 60k. It puts things like a used Macan S close. I'll have to think about whether it's worth it to up the range a bit.

(used) Audi S6, Genesis G70, BMW 540i.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 28, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The solution to running out of money is obviously make more money

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GD_American posted:

Are they any fun? I know they look weird enough

I'm trying to keep my midlife crisis at least somewhat camoflaged, so no. But definitely on the right track

Are you Doug DeMuro's twin brother or something?

Anyways, you're basically the target market for a Plymouth Prowler.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 29, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There should really be a "Which Toyota should you buy?" checklist in the OP.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

clockworkjoe posted:

I'm thinking of buying a new car but I could wait - how long will it take for the market to cool down you think? I'm thinking a new or slightly used hybrid (prius or elantra) and I can afford $25k, give or take.

How long for things to go back to normal in the new market? A year, at least. Used market, who the hell knows.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

How much does the thread think resale would be affected if the VIN contains the word "FART?"

+$69

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You could get a lot of fun cars in your budget but they would be loud and attention grabbing (Civic Type R, Focus RS, Veloster N) and also mostly suck on the highway so yeah Mazda 3 is a good choice. Maybe a 1 series BMW? There's also the Genesis G70, but it's a hair over 3500 in its lightest spec. Great car though

Edit: Just remembered the Golf R exists for people who want to feel like kids but look like adults..

KillHour fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 4, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

got off on a technicality posted:

Ooh good one. Now that you mention it I'd probably pick one over the S3

It's available in both manual and automatic, but you're basically a monster if you don't get it with 3 pedals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Gangringo posted:

A computer controlled AWD car like the Golf R is noticably faster with the dual clutch, and Volkswagen manual transmissions are pretty poo poo as far as feel and feedback.

Also radar cruise control is life-changing on long trips and you need an auto for that to work.

Yeah but he said he's not tracking it and it's going to be a highway onramp puller anyways, so you may as well get to do something while you go up that onramp other than put your foot down and wait.

I'd normally agree with you on the cruise control, but 90 minutes is barely worth putting it on for (and VW's adaptive cruise with full start/stop tried to kill me the last time I used it, which happened to be in a Chicago traffic jam).