Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The air conditioner IS a major repair. Or do you mean another one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

So you need a 7 seat vehicle because your mom was in town visiting and your wife was mildly uncomfortable.

Yes. :patriot:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You can't race your family OP get a Miata.

Or a minivan.

Or a new wife and then a minivan and then a Miata

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

JnnyThndrs posted:

The Prius AWD barely an AWD system at all - they add a 7hp motor to the rear hubs that kick on when the fronts are losing traction, like when your front tires are on ice. It kicks off once you get over 6mph, and makes the car a touch slower than it’s already pokey acceleration.

Isn't this literally what you want in snow?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's useful for getting unstuck but not all that useful for any other purpose (eg making it up a hill at more than 7 mph), so practically speaking it's about as effective as an early Haldex system.

Hills don't exist where I am, so getting unstuck when a plow shoved an entire street's worth of snow under your car is pretty much what I think of.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Supposedly, the new Defender has actually serious off-roading chops and comes in a 2-door short wheelbase version. Might be on the expensive side for a beater farm truck though.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 16, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Depends. Some passive collision avoidance systems came out over 10 years ago, but the active ones that will brake for you are a bit more recent. Like always the technology started in the higher end cars and eventually trickled down.

My 2013 Ford has the warning system, and will precharge the brakes, but won't actually brake for you like some of the modern systems. My 2020 Ford has what they call pre collision assist with automatic emergency braking, which will apply the brakes for you.

The best part is after the tech trickles down, it becomes standard or dirt cheap on the lower end cars and still costs 5 figures on expensive cars.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If you have to ask that question, you don't want it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The devil's manual layout is a 5 gear with reverse where 6 would go and no lockout

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

DildenAnders posted:

There's a simple solution to that problem: never have enough money to afford a 6-speed.

You won't because you'll be spending all your money on transmission rebuilds.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Someone do the needful

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

I don't see six forward gears. :colbert:

How about 7?

...but then you'd have to own an Aston Martin, which I don't recommend.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

You can also own a Porsche instead :getin:

Not a dogleg.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Oh poo poo you're right, Aston is the only hope

We're truly screwed.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You guys are making me real happy I got MSRP on my new car.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, unless you absolutely have to have a car right now, wait six months or a year. If the car you've got works, keep driving it for a while.

My lease ends next week :saddowns:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Inner Light posted:

Yeah what's your lease buyout dawg?

Oh yeah I'm going to make like 7 grand taking it to CarMax. Q for anyone who knows: If I do a third party buyout in NY, do I have to pay sales tax on the residual? It feels like I shouldn't but NY is stupid about leases.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

Why wouldn't you? You've paid sales tax on the lease, which is the "portion of the value" of the car you "used". The lease is over. Now you're buying the car at a previously agreed upon price. It's a completely separate transaction.

Are they any states that treat that anything other than a taxable purchase?

Because I'm not buying it myself - I'm selling it to a dealer, who is cutting a check directly to Kia. Most states don't charge you tax for a third party buyout. I'm just wondering if NY does.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

Maybe NY has a provision for this specifically (sorry, I don't know) but that sounds a whole lot like kiting the title.

Isn't that when you owe more than the car is worth? CarMax says right on their website that they buy a car on a lease directly from the mfr: https://www.carmax.com/sell-my-car (second to last question in the FAQ)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

No, it's when you take possession of a vehicle from it's previous owner without registering/updating the title/paying taxes on it and then sell it to someone else.

lovely car lots and small time craigslist sellers get busted for this poo poo pretty routinely in PA.

Got it. I don't think that's an issue here because I'm never legally buying the vehicle. CarMax sends the check to Kia and I never own it. That is also why they presumably don't have to pay sales tax on it, since they are a licensed reseller. I guess I'll know for sure when I go and talk to them today :)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Trip report:

CarMax offered $36k. I have an appointment Friday to do all the paperwork and hand over the keys.

My residual is $27,719. The CarMax rep confirmed that I won't have to pay sales tax on this. This leaves me with $8,281 back. My regular lease payments were $571.20 with no down payment, but the money back reduces that to an effective $341.17, meaning I got to lease a $52k car for 3 years for $12,282. Pretty good!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Inner Light posted:

Which car is this please? I understand this is a 'once in a lifetime' market for that to work out so hard in your favor, but still want to know. Nicely done.

Kia Stinger GT2. They were practically giving them away 3 years ago and now they're throwing money at my for it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

moana posted:

Just curious, what will change in 6 months? Or is it just "it can't stay this crazy forever?" and they'll probably be cheaper in 6 months?

Desperate hope and blind faith in liberal capitalism.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

The dealership is probably going to point out that they have a signed contract for 10,000 over msrp

If the dealer enters into a contract agreeing to sell you a car for MSRP and they refuse to sell it to you for MSRP, you can then buy the car and sue them for the difference. I believe you can also buy it from someone else and the first dealership will still have to give you the difference, as long as you did your due diligence to cover your own position as best as possible (So no buying one from your buddy for 100k. That won't fly). There's a whole set of rules for "We had an agreement for x amount and the person later refused to perform for x amount so I had to pay y instead and now I'm going to sue them for y - x." It's very common. You should definitely get a lawyer though.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

gnrk posted:

I’m on track to buy a 2009 Camry with 177k miles on it for $5000. I didn’t see any red flags on the CarFax and the test drive went well. All the recall items have been resolved I suspect I won’t have time to bring it to a mechanic for another inspection.

Am I a moron?

E: Camry, not Corolla

As in you didn't bring it to a mechanic for an inspection and you're relying on the seller saying they did and everything is fine? Yes, you're a moron.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm not saying it's impossible that someone bought a car a few months ago and is now looking to flip it for completely innocent reasons, but it's also just as likely that they bought it and found a bunch of very expensive problems and are feeding you a line of BS to get rid of it. An OBD2 reader isn't going to tell you poo poo. Get it inspected.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Explosionface posted:

An extra wrinkle is I have a brother-in-law who works at the local Chrysler dealership, so bonus points if there's a surprising reason to give him a commission.

How do you feel about minivans

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I personally know someone with a Tesla and a "pluglife" license plate.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-uFGusRNf4&t=1436s

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

DEAR RICHARD posted:

i do know that toyota is one of the manufacturers that are blocking 3rd party lease buyouts, which isn't a big deal because i'm planning on staying with toyota.

If Toyota isn't letting you do a third party buyout, it means you need to buy the car yourself from them (so secure the cash or financing to pay off the residual), settle any DMV fees and taxes related to that, and only then you can sell the car. It's a big deal that they aren't letting you do it because it would probably save you thousands of dollars and a bunch of bullshit.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TheWevel posted:

Third party in this case means a non-Toyota dealer. This is true for all of the captive finance companies that are currently prohibiting third party buyouts. And even US Bank apparently. You can still trade the car in to a Toyota dealer and keep any equity if you wanted to do that. The captives want their dealers to have used cars to sell. That's the only reason for all these recent changes.

Why would the Toyota dealer offer you more than residual? Seems like a losing proposition unless they're absolutely desperate and a third party would probably still offer more.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

But to take advantage of this it means you've likely made a bad financial decision in the past (leasing a personal vehicle) that just happened to maybe work out for you because of a completely unpredictable event.

Are you actually arguing that leasing a personal vehicle is de facto a "bad financial decision"? A lease is an options contract with some fees and some tax benefits and you have to weigh that against a straight purchase. If I buy options in a stock and that stock becomes worth more than my option to exercise costs, I have equity in that stock. I paid a fee to have that flexibility, but it doesn't change the calculus of whether I can make money off of exercising that option. I'm leasing my new BMW because the lease rates and fees are so low that not having to pay 9.25% tax on the ~$55k residual makes it an objectively better choice than buying unless I decide to keep it long-term (which just lol at the idea of keeping an M car out of warranty).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

Why are you inserting "de facto" where I used the word "probably"? Is it because that's the only way to make whatever point you're trying to make?

Why are you being pedantic? If you say "you probably made a bad financial decision (leasing a car)" you're implying that leasing a car is a bad financial decision. I don't even think it's probably a bad financial decision or even likely a bad financial decision. It's just a financial decision.

Leasing a car you can't afford is a bad financial decision, but the starting assumption here is you're buying a specific car and need to choose whether to lease or buy - not you're choosing between buying a 3 series and leasing a 5 series.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 14, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

zedprime posted:

An important qualification to make in a thread otherwise full of car selection experts and amateur or professional accountants is that this is actually the normal way people shop and the experts are the exception without getting on a soap box to tell people "stop looking at your monthly note." You're absolutely gonna be upsold by a slimy dealer if you exude buying a base model but can be convinced to get in a more dealer advantaged lease on a higher model or trim if you don't shut down the option by going in knowing what you actually want (another advantage held by the experts but not the normals).

But yes, thank you, you're very smart for leasing a high end car that falls apart outside of warranty. Meanwhile over here I'll be not taking options contracts on things I require to stay living

You missed my entire point, which is that said person had already leased a car and was asking how to get the most out of their lease turn in, and motronic took issue with the idea that you could expect to get something out at the end of a lease. Nobody asked if they should lease, just what they should do about the lease they already had.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

a vehicle lease is absolutely not an options contract what in the gently caress

quote:

An options contract is an agreement between two parties to facilitate a potential transaction involving an asset at a preset price and date.

Buying an option offers the right, but not the obligation to purchase or sell the underlying asset.

There's more to a lease than just the purchase option, but there's definitely an option component.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

What, in your wildest opinion, is the best car for someone who hates cars?

Everyone in AI hates cars so either a Miata or a brown manual wagon.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Don't have a "race car" as your only car

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

He'll get it too

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

Then it's on the back of a truck being brought to another market to flip for a profit of more than you sold it for.

Arbitrage - screwing over small markets since 1704.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ford has a Haldex system in the Focus RS that can send 70% of the power to the rear :eng101:

by sacrificing the longevity of the clutch pack