Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Yea, guess I was just daydreaming a bit about big engined luxury cars and not being helpful, sorry. I had the rare opportunity to drive a Gallardo once and It's hard to imagine a bigger status car outside of a Bentley. It was loud and frightening and just about everybody commented on it wherever we went. I'd say get that.

Man, it's tempting. The only thing that's scaring me off is the autos apparently had a clutch made of particularly soft cheese and it costs $5-7k to replace every 15k miles or so. So that pretty much means I'd have to get a manual (which I'd prefer anyways) but those come at a pretty big premium and aren't very common. To make it worse, I'm pretty sure there isn't a mechanic in Buffalo that could reasonably service one. At least with the DB9, there's a few places that could handle it.

Edit: I guess this answers why it was so cheap.

https://www.ipacket.info/SCFFDAFM6GGB17246#Carfax

How does someone get into two accidents in less than 4000 miles?

KillHour fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

nm posted:

Just buy an Aston then. Most status per $.

Yeah, that's what I was leaning towards. Should I totally write off the local one since it's been in a couple accidents?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry if I came off as a dick last night; I was real tired and couldn't sleep. I appreciate everyone's honest input and maybe I'm not being fair to Porsche. I'm just interested in a specific kind of car and pretty much just want to know "which one of these unreliable bad investments is the easiest to live with and isn't going to need to be towed to Toronto for a $20,000 service after 2,000 miles." I have the money to buy a stupid status symbol and I want one of the big-engined, mechanical, old school supercars I grew up coveting in movies. It's an emotional thing more than a "this is the best deal for your money" thing.

That being said, I've never bought a car like that so I need a little help navigating which ones are total garbage and going to cost me their purchase price over again in repairs. I'm not looking to be another Tavarish or Hoovie.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Well, I'm definitely a teenage boy at heart. My girlfriend couldn't care less about cars.

I really think I am going to get the Aston. I just have to make sure the damage was repaired correctly. Maybe I'll have them put it on a lift so I can get a good look at everything. I just can't get over sitting in it and how that felt.

If I eat poo poo on repair costs, I guess that's the price of owning a ridiculous car. I bet they can go lower on price considering it's been at the dealership for a year. Not many people around here looking for a British V12 soft top convertible I guess.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 10, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I mean... The i8 is an electric car with the same amount of horsepower as my Stinger GT and the NSX is a V6 and costs almost double my budget. Neither of those are old school v8/10/12 mechanical supercars.

I think what I'm gonna do is call the Aston dealership in Toronto and have them look up the service records and try to get their feel for it. Maybe I can give the Mercedes dealership my credit card and take it up there for an inspection. I don't mind them holding a 10k refundable deposit and spending a few hundred on piece of mind. Aston also offers a 24 month extended warranty that I'll probably get.

Edit: Does everyone here just hate NA high displacement V engines or what? What am I missing?

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 10, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

I think there's a nice selection of cool cars on services such as Turo that you could rent and get a taste of them. Maybe not in your particular area, but you could do a little winter vacation somewhere like CA or Miami and incorporate that into your itinerary?

While we're hypothesizing I've been reading a lot about the final model years of the last generation Bentley Conti GT and they actually seem pretty decent once VAG fixed most of the really dumb poo poo in the course of a few refreshes. It has 12 cylinders and is as fast as you could possibly want to be on public roads while still being nice comfy and practical.

I could give Turo a shot. No shortage of fancy cars in Toronto. As far as the Bentley, it's not my type of thing. Practical is a negative to me. I want something with literally 0 luggage space and a loud obnoxious engine. Think about the car you wanted when you were 12. Bonus points if it's orange.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

zapplez posted:

I think buying a sports car thats already been in two wrecks is probably a bad idea. Also as cool as V12s are they are hilarious bad to maintain and actually pretty outdated by modern, great supercharged V8s from the big auto manufacturers. But I totally get you want to get something that most people don't see everyday, practicality be damned.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...ckType=otherVDP

But I'd probably buy
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...ickType=listing

Maseratis are cool and they have the Ferrari V8, but every review I read or watch says their build quality is total poo poo. They sure look nice though.

That AMG is missing a couple cylinders and has the wrong number on the badge. You should get that checked out.

And yeah, this is fulfilling my 12 year old dreams - practicality and sanity have no home here.

Edit: What about a McLaren? Those have V8s and mid engine cars are sick.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 10, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

zapplez posted:

So just go for whatever your dream car is? Do they make orange Astons?

Just buy one that hasn't been in two wrecks.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=508830456&zip=14221

Apparently so.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

nm posted:

What about an Audi r8? It's basically a Lamborghini in v10 guise and you almost certainly have an Audi dealer in town.

Don't buy the crashed Aston, none of these cars are rare enough to buy a sketchy one.
Also, be willing to buy a car way out of state. You can easily get local ppis and for a 6 figure car, a flight on southwest or shipping it is a drop in the bucket.

That was on my list, if I can find a clean one. And yeah, I might have to travel for it and I'm okay with that. I'm just worried about going out there and finding out the dealer was hiding how much of a wreck it is.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

The Maserati versions of the engines have cross plane cranks, same as a 305 Chevy. Defeats the whole point if you ask me. Also while I agree they look nice the one from 2009 look exactly the same so you may as well just buy a 10 year old one for $24k or whatever, not like the new one's phone interface will be any better.

Nice color and the correct transmission:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2011-audi-r8-9/

I saw that one. Not digging the brown, actually. And "only" 430 HP with the V8.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Space Gopher posted:

You don't really know what you want beyond "obviously expensive."

Nobody makes "old school v8/10/12 mechanical supercars" any more. The manufacturers know that they're going to need to compete for Nurburgring times, so they put in the electronic driver aids that will help them do that. They also know that one of their main markets is rich people who have no idea how to drive a stick shift, let alone a 500+ HP mid engined monster with no safety aids, so they put in all kinds of safety systems, too. If you don't want those things, go find an older Viper and try not to put it into a ditch. Or, if you want something newer, maybe a Hellcat.

But - that's kind of a blue collar supercar, right? So maybe you want something that will make everybody notice that your car looks like some kind of high performance space shuttle that must be owned by a very wealthy person. It'll probably need to be mid-engined, and full of funky aerodynamic racecar shapes. The McLaren is a pretty obvious choice there. It even has a turbo V8.

But, it's a British supercar with a turbo V8. You can swing $100k for the purchase, but regular five-figure service is out of the picture, so you probably don't want that. Plus, it's maybe a bit too much on the track side of things. You could get an i8 for lower running costs, and get the look, but then you'd be totally giving up on your big engine dreams. So you go to the top and start the cycle again.

If you want to split the difference, there's a reason that Porsches (and BMW M cars) are stereotypical "doctor/lawyer wants a sports car" cars. But you don't want that, either.

Figure out what it is you actually want besides vague statements about exclusivity, noise, and 12 year old you.

I want an older McLaren/Lambo/Ferrari/etc. with a V8/10/12, at least 500 hp, preferably convertible and preferably manual. I don't mind spending 5k/year on maintenance. I don't want to spend 20k/year on it. And Astons are absolutely old school mechanical super cars. NA V12, hydraulic steering and available in manual.

TheWevel posted:

I like a V8 as much as the next guy but that's not where 'super' cars are at these days. All the engineering is going into hybrid drive trains.

That's why I'm looking at last-gen cars.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

nm posted:

If you're not doing the most insane PPI on any 100,000 used car, you're a fool. A shop that specializes in that car will be way better at telling you if it is a wreck than yourself.

That's fair enough. There are a ton of supercar dealerships in Toronto. How much of a pain in the rear end is it to buy a car there for import to the US?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

Find a local shop specialty shop as near the dealer in question as possible. Tell them to bring it there.

If they say no you spent no money at all, did not need to travel and yet still learned that there is no way in hell you wanted that particular car.

Good call. I guess it's not like buying a new Toyota where you go to a bunch of dealerships and test drive them all and buy the one you like the most. These are the kinds of things I need to know.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I actually had a question about maintenance for cars like this regarding mileage. A lot of expensive cars have really low mileage. Like a couple hundred miles a year or less. Isn't that bad for the car? Like, wouldn't I be better with a 15k mile 10 year old car than a 1500 mile 10 year old car? Or is it fine as long as the yearly maintenance is done?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

nm posted:

Are you buying the car to drive it or to have good resale.

I'm gonna drive the poo poo out of it, with the caveat that I have a savings account already set up and I will be putting a buck in there for every mile I drive it for future maintenance. I figure I'll probably drive it 4-5k per year, which is where I got the $5k/year maintenance figure from.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

plester1 posted:

You put “exhaust note” at the top of your priorities and I was surprised not to see a Jaguar F-Type on your list. Comes in either convertible or coupe flavors, as well as an available V8.

Here’s Jeremy Clarkson in a V6 convertible version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6KFA7p7_aQ

To be honest, you also might get better answers in Automotive Insanity since their entire focus is about cars for fun, practicality be damned.

Ooh good call on the Jag. Honestly, I see this thread as kind of an extension to AI but I'm sure there's plenty of people there that don't follow this thread.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I was thinking about the California, but I always thought of them as the "cheap" Ferrari. F430s are in my budget all day long.

Edit: Huh, I guess they were around the same price and the California has more power. Might be worth another look.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 10, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

If you think that's good, check out the SVR. That thing's exhaust ought to be loving illegal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPkpntQOn5U

Edit: don't buy this, it will get you beat up.

That exhaust is hilarious. It's like 150k loaded, though. Tempting.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Do dealers normally negotiate on finance rates?

I got the dealer $500 below Costco + truck month savings, which is about 19% below MSRP. Not sure how much further I can push it, but I got three weeks left in Truck Month.

GM financial is like 7%, the dealer is just trying to close and suggesting I buy now with whatever financing I have. My credit union is 3.49% and the dealer isn't even enterntaining the idea of having me finance with them. They even suggested before talking any numbers at all that I go with my own financing.

The other truck month option is 0% financing instead of the price discount, which is near close to even after 72 months at full price, but swings a few grand in my advantage where I'm planning to put about 30% down.

Is this just a tactic to make a quicker sale? Or do they have any leverage when it comes to lowering their own rate?

The reason they want you to finance with them is because they're getting a cut on the back end. GM might have come back with 5% or whatever, and they added the other 2% on top so they could present you with a more attractive "price." They're hiding profit in the loan and they literally will not let you get that price with outside financing.

What you could do (if your credit union lets you - check with them) is take the GM loan and immediately refinance with your CR. You're basically screwing the dealership over though, so don't be looking for favors from them after that.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Then finance it yourself. 7% is garbage and if the 0% interest costs you more in the long run, there's no reason to do it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If you're looking for a car in Philly, I don't know why you'd consider anything except this.

https://youtu.be/6wDs-0hH7hg

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

zapplez posted:

One of the worst made brands (by far) in the worst time period they had for quality control and reliability (by far).

On the other hand,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbtg3ZNSzts

I literally posted the same video on this page.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I mean, both the Impreza and the Focus have cool versions and I'd argue that the RS is cooler than an STI (although that's probably bias from owning an RS and having an idiot brother that owned an STI).

That being said, I had a rental base model Focus and although it was super uncool, it was fun as gently caress to beat on in the Arizona desert.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 26, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This is probably going to go for more than I've mentally decided my max bid amount will be, but anything I should know about these from a maintenance/ownership standpoint?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2013-mclaren-mp4-12c/

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

An oil change costs $700, an annual service runs about $1500. Here's a service invoice someone uploaded:

That sounds about right. I'm estimating $1/mile for maintenance. Any more than $2/mile, and I'd start to

Edit: $94 for the oil and $25 for a filter is downright cheap. It's all in the labor.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Oof. That's rough.

The seller clarified that it's not under warranty and to get it under a warranty would cost $600 just for the inspection to see if it's eligible.

I guess if they weren't basket cases, they wouldn't have had so much depreciation. It's a shame because they're gorgeous, fast and rare - everything I'm looking for.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 28, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

Notice that type of depreciation, or in many cases depreciation at all, is totally not normal for a supercar? This one in particular has two factors that make it different - it really is a basket case and McLaren continues to piss off it's customers by releasing new models on a regular basis.

Edit: One of the goofs with a car-themed youtube channel (Hoovie) bought one recently and if I recall correctly claims he has something like $100k of repair receipts from the PO's 2 or 3 years of owning the car (all covered under the warranty).

As someone who cares more about driving a supercar for fun than owning one as an investment, I'm 100% for manufacturers coming out with new models every other year and making the old ones depreciate (because it means I get to buy all the awesome cars and not have to worry about driving them and ruining their value). As such, I would do my own oil changes or whatever - whatever I buy won't be in concourse condition after I'm done with it, regardless. But time-bomb transmissions are no bueno.

A GT350 with low miles just went for like $40k on BaT. I was tempted, but I've heard horror stories about Voodoos being made of particularly fragile glass.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 28, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

I get that and totally agree, but it's simply not the business model of the supercar industry, so I'm not sure what Mclaren is doing here an where they think it will get them. Manufacturers can't survive off of aftermarket used car sales. They seem to be committing low-speed brand suicide.

In a way it kind of sucks for used cars too because it means parts go out of production, which is probably the issue here. ...Maybe I should just get an AMG. If I wait a year and save another $50k, I can get a GT-C convertible or something.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nitrox posted:

Are VW Lamborghinis in your price range? Because they share parts across many brands and models and I imagine more reasonable to own unlike McLaren and such

Owning a Lambo has always been my dream, but it would be a stretch for anything except a higher mileage (20k+) Gallardo unless a really good deal pops up. Also, I've heard bad things about the clutch in the auto, and the manuals come at a premium.

Something like this would be right around the upper end of my budget.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/767484942/overview/

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's not so much that 20k is a lot for a well maintained supercar, it's more that it's around the time that those kinds of cars need MAJOR service. Like $10k clutches and poo poo.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2017-ferrari-488-gtb-3/

This is gonna go for so much money, but goddamn, is it beautiful.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 29, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Supercar manufacturers do stupid poo poo. Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiKNNgkv0K8

If you don't know how to drive a single clutch automated transmission, you'll burn through it in 5k miles.

Edit: And the Lambo I linked, while a badass special edition, only has 542hp, a 0-60 time of 3.9 seconds and a 199mph top speed.

That's fast, but the Jaguar F-TYPE SVR has 575hp, does 0-60 in 3.5 seconds and has a 200mph top speed for not a whole lot more. And comes with a warranty.

Double Edit: And the Lambo is so cheap because it had two accidents, one of which had an airbag deploy. Pass.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 29, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

It says so in the BAT thread but modern Ferraris have transferable 7 year B2B warranty and free maintenance.

That's pretty awesome. Too bad that 488 is going to go for well more than my house is worth.

Edit: The warranty is 3 years and the maintenance is 7.

https://www.continentalferrari.com/service/ferrari-warranty/

I'll tell you what - if you cover half the price, I'll buy a Portofino and sleep well at night knowing I won't have to worry about maintenance costs.

Double edit: They make up for the maintenance costs by charging over 4 grand for Car Play

KillHour fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 29, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

To drive it home, have a Hoovie.

https://youtu.be/PoviOeSzmME

That being said, I could totally handle $4k/year for an unlimited mile 12 year warranty.... Might not be such a bad deal after all..

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

It's only $4k?

That's not nearly as bad as I was remembering. If you're willing to deal with having it off the road for repairs (and that goes with any supercar) then maybe that's a good choice if you can find one that is in/can be put on warranty.

Apparently, pretty much all of them can as long as it's less than 12 years old. I also got a quote on the warranty for the Aston, and it's basically the same. I think the McLaren is 100% worth it if I can find one like the BaT one for ~100k or less. That particular one won't be - it's optioned out to the nines.

Everyone says they're amazing to drive and I can't imagine being happier with a car in its price range.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Why didn't anyone mention a brand new V10 R8 starts at $140k for the RWD version? That's a smoking deal and they barely depreciate.

Edit: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/767987826/overview/

KillHour fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 31, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Okay, so here's the current plan.

The R8 RWS is a limited run thing, they're only making 320 in the US / 999 world wide and it's been out for a year. I figure if I go to the dealership this week and put a down payment on a custom order, it will take about 6-9 months (minimum) for it to come in - plenty of time to save up for the admittedly hefty price (~$150k as I would order it). It's a lot of money, but it's also a NA mid engine V10 (with a Lamborghini engine!) RWD supercar - everything I was looking for. It might not have the showstopping looks of a real Lambo, but it has a factory warranty and is half the price.

DeMurro said the more expensive trim (basically the same car with AWD, a tune and a trick steering system) was 9/10ths of a Hurrican, so that's got me pretty confident I'll love it.

Any good reasons for me not to go this route?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

Have you ever driven an R8? Any R8 in any trim at all?

If not, I suggest you go rent one first.

I guess I would describe them as clinically sterile in comparison to most any other high end ports car and certainly super car I've ever driven or been around. I'm not just talking about the looks.

If they float your boat then awesome - that sounds like a good deal. But be sure. If you've driven a Hurrican and it's true that they are in fact 9/10ths of one (in performance) it's got a wildly different user experience. I'm assuming a Hurrican is basically a better/newer Gallardo, and if that's the case I can assure you there is no comparison in driving experience. Maybe you want something that is just like a daily driver but really goddamn fast and sounds good - great, R8 yourself right on up. But if you want something that makes you a little bit nervous about unlocking the door in the morning it ain't gonna deliver.

Hmm. This is a good point. Did you drive the first gen or the second gen? What I'm hearing is the first gen is exactly how you describe, but the second gen is much more of a "real" supercar. It's built on the same platform as the Hurican, with the same engine. I imagine RWD only would also make you a lot more... conscious about driving it.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 31, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

I believe both that I drove were first gens. So maybe they're just that different now - either way, dropping $1400 on a rental for a weekend seems like cheap money to be sure.

Fair enough. The bigger issue is availability. I don't have too many options for exotic rentals here in Buffalo.

Shmee certainly seems to like it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAwUb1KbunE

FilthyImp posted:

It would suck to park that pretty much anywhere that doesn't valet, and the incidentals (insurance, maintenance) will probably bite you hard.

I'm not parking it anywhere and Geico quoted me $140/month - way cheaper than any other supercar I've found. Audi includes the first year maintenance for free and the next four cost a total of $1350 with Audi Care, if I purchase them with the vehicle. That's pretty dang reasonable.

quote:

Afaik one of the big selling points of the older R8s was the hefty shifter and that's pretty much done away with now???

Manual option is unfortunately dead, but the dual clutch is apparently very good.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 31, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

It would seem that even if your due diligence budget included "to to miami beach for the weekend" or wherever you can find one that it would we well worth it. Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't make purchase decision like that without driving.

Well, I would't make a purchase decision like yours anyway, because it's not my thing - I think we all know I'm broke brained and buy poo poo that needs constant attention because it turns out I like working on things as much as driving them. I'm also dumb and would trade one $140k car for a 12 pack of needy interesting dumpster fires.

This is a great idea, considering I'm sitting on an obscene number of airline miles and credit card points. I'm dumb for not thinking of it - thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I've personally never had an issue with Geico paying out, and my aunt is my rep so I have some leverage that way. It's so cheap because I have my house and other cars on it so there's a big discount.

Geico isn't stupid. They know most people pretty much only drive those kinds of cars to shows and back.