Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That 12k mile MP4-12C I bid on last week is ending in 5 hours, and somehow, I'm still the highest bidder at a hair over 90k. I know that it will go up and I won't win, and even if it doesn't, there's no way the reserve is that low. I know that even if somehow I did win, that would be an insanely good deal for that car and I should be happy to win it. I also know that if I won it, I would have to pony up ~10k for a 5th year service, a post purchase inspection, a 1 year extended service contract and misc other crap on day 1. In cash. In addition to the ~5k bidding fee that would be sitting on my credit card. I feel like throwing up.

Don't do drugsBritish supercars, kids.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Your bid history on BAT is like a 12 year old me wants to buy an awesome car. It rules.

I think I'm literally a 12 year old you with too much money. Except there's an adult part of my brain that realizes 5 minutes after the bid "WHAT DID YOU JUST DO!?" and then I have the horrible feeling of wanting to win while simultaneously dreading winning.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

So... fun news.

quote:

I have had a response from McLaren (customerservice.NA@mclaren.com) on the Extended Service Contract requirements. They said:
“We have not had any recent changes to our ESC policy although we have been clarifying some confusion with our retailers recently which may be what you’re experiencing. The policy regarding services has always been that the vehicle must have an unbroken history however some retailers incorrectly believed simply bringing the vehicle up to date is enough. As completing proper services on time is extremely important to the longevity of the vehicle we have been reminding our retailer group that this is mandatory for ESC qualification.”

My understanding is that this car is ineligible for an ESC, due to having missed services. I shudder to think how many ESCs have been sold on ineligible cars.

gently caress

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

skipdogg posted:

90 minutes to go, looking forward to KH's posts about his McLarenbroken hooptie

FTFY.

Edit: You'll know before I do because I have a 90 minute call at 3:30, and if I'm staring at BaT, I'll never be able to concentrate.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm out. It's still a good deal, but I don't have the kind of money to burn on repairs.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Do you feel like you missed out, or dodged a bullet?

I missed out on the excitement of being hit by a bullet.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Whats next?

Deleting my BaT account before I do something horrifically stupid with it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

LOOK AT WHAT YOU'VE DONE. LOOK AT WHAT YOU'VE DONE!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1977-porsche-911-13/

If I start bidding on this it is 100% your fault.

If anyone questions why, just scroll down to the video and hit play.

If you win it, you have to let me drive it. I mean, it's my fault, after all. :sun:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

HHHHHNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGG

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1992-autozam-az-1-3/

Oh no it's happening again someonehelppleasegodno

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I fulfilled the need to waste money by buying an Obutto cockpit for my Fanatic wheel and a Cobb Accessport from AdamTuned for my Focus RS.

We will revisit this in 6-12 months when I have a higher budget....

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Everything I just said about waiting to buy a car was a lie. I just put a deposit down.

'16 Aston Martin DB9 GT Volante. 4k miles, dark blue. I'm having the dealer do a full detail and paint correction and put an Opticoat ceramic coat on.

Pickup is scheduled for next Friday.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

1: Nobody wants to daily an Aston
2: People rich enough to buy one that want a 4 door car are buying SUVs
3: That loving grille

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Maintenance costs, mostly.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I think you'd have to be pretty daft to confuse a 2 door convertible with a fusion.

vs.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

What I don't get is why the seats aren't cooled or massaging. C'mon Aston, it's a $211k car.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

You want luxury? Or just want people to know you spend money on things? Both are not feasible for AM.

I'd complain that the Germans and Italians have no problem with the concept, but then I think about the time I've spent in the UK and I guess I can't be too hard on them. Must be something in the water there.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah but AM didn't even offer it as an option.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I don't have a suggestion for a car to look at, but that has to be the most Pacific Northwest post ever made.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Fully aware of the cliche that I have become and while not entirely okay with it have learned to live with it. I refuse to wear a Patagonia vest though.

Get a G70 or a Stinger if you absolutely must have a hatch. You don't need an SUV to drag around your single kid. And divorce your wife. AI HATH SPOKEN.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Don't be another one of those people with a full-size SUV for going to the grocery store.

Sincerely, everyone else that has to be on the same road as you with a reasonable sized car.

You can fit THREE kids in the back of a Focus.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's 15" taller and 5" wider. I need to be able to see poo poo.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Not with your beluga whale in the lane next to me.

I'm 6'3". If I can't see over your car, it had better be a literal school bus.

:bahgawd:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

nm posted:

You want to add more electronics to a british car? Fool.

Also, called it.

Yeah, you did. They're just so goddamn pretty.

Also, NA V12, RWD and hydraulic steering. Too bad they stopped putting manuals in the DB9.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Another BFC success storybankruptcy in the making

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K42NqqOsxwk

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Something Offal posted:

Jesus KillHour well done man. Enjoy buddy. That dark blue is really, really nice.

Thank you, sir :tipshat:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

The Flex/MKT third row is pretty good

That's because it's a minivan pretending to be an SUV.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

zapplez posted:

Do not , under any circumstance by a Nissan when your budget means you can buy an actual good car.

FTFY

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Things I've personally done to rental cars:

Look at that suspension travel. You know what that car wasn't built to do? That. Had fun doing it, though. Got it up to 110mph that same day.

You know what's cooler than donuts? Donuts on a volcano.

These are just the things I have photo evidence of myself doing to rental cars. Think about that.

Unless you're okay with me possibly having played real life Dirt Rally in your new daily, don't buy a rental.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 25, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

https://youtu.be/ucQKNkvzQ3g

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Something Offal posted:

Wait huh, is the car stopped in this photo? What's wrong with it and how is it driveable like this?

Look at the picture above it. It's sitting on a huge off-camber crest and the suspension is bottomed out.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Something Offal posted:

It...it looks like it's on a slight hill. I'm confused but maybe it's just me.

The rear passenger wheel is maybe 3 ft higher than the front driver wheel. The rear driver wheel is is in a rut that is too low for the car's suspension to properly reach, so the weight of that corner is sitting on the other 3 corners. The suspension was not made to do this and cannot support the weight of the car with only 3 springs so it's sitting on the bump stops. This is obviously terrible for the suspension, especially the part where I had to drive it into and out of that position and wasn't especially careful doing so.

There's a reason AWD by itself doesn't mean you can go off-roading (unless you're in a rental car, in which case it's automatically the best rock crawler in the world).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm sure they let oil changes go as long as humanly possible.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There's a reason rental places don't have cars more than ~2 years old.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm not a big car person.

Xelkelvos posted:

It's a dealership that specializes in picking up rentals and flipping them

Xelkelvos posted:

Having to take the time out to get a PPI is probably the more difficult bit for me at this point... Nothing is outrageously amiss as far as I can tell

Dude. DUDE. DUDE.

No.

You have two real options: Walk into a real dealership and say "I'm looking for a reasonably inexpensive CPO car that is still under warranty" or go on Craigslist and buy a $2000 car that will limp along for 6 months to buy yourself more time.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 25, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

nm posted:

Goon in the well spotted.

This. Don't let your emotions get in the way of what everyone else is telling you.

I mean, it's your money, but it sounds like you want to make a utilitarian purchase, and this isn't it. They're cheap for a reason.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

dealer loaner

6 of one, half dozen of another.

https://www.carmax.com/car/17161655
https://www.carmax.com/car/17043695
https://www.carmax.com/car/17275855
https://www.carmax.com/car/17275849

KillHour fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 26, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Is this the part where goons start pissing in the well?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I don't think inklesspen is looking at Abarths. Which means they are even more wrong because Abarths are awesome.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nitrox posted:

Apparently KIA Stinger is not selling well at all, and they are being pushed put with 0%/60m and heaps of money under MSRP.

https://jalopnik.com/kia-is-practically-giving-away-stingers-1834577355

I guess making a great car isn't enough to sell one with a Kia badge on it. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

nm posted:

Premium buyers don't want to deal with lovely Kia dealers.

It's been 3 days and I still don't have a commitment on when I can take the Aston in to get the suspension looked at and nobody is returning my calls or emails. I had better luck with the Kia dealership.