Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFX
Nov 23, 2007
It may be time to replace my wife's Mazda 3, and we're thinking of futureproofing for kids:

Proposed Budget: Mid $30k
New or Used: New
Body Style: Hatch/Wagon/small SUV. We definitely want something with a hatch of some kind. I currently drive a Golf GTI and my wife loves having a hatch rather than a trunk, but we are thinking something a little bit bigger. However, she is 5'2" and just uncomfortable with any really big SUV. She needs to be able to close the hatch when it's open.
How will you be using the car?: Short commute to work; in the near future will need to comfortably fit 2 adults + car seat + stroller + whatever other baby stuff there is.
What aspects are most important to you? Most important to my wife is tech. My car has Android Auto/Carplay and that is something she would love to have, but that obviously makes our selection more limited (although some options could have it, like some Hyundais and the CRV). Even if it doesn't have Carplay, she is going to want something with the latest and greatest tech when it comes to the nav/entertainment system. She also keeps comparing other cars to the drive of my GTI. I don't think we need something with a turbo, but something that does have a bit of a sporty feeling, which for her means responsive brakes and throttle and tight steering.

Any thoughts? I was thinking the X1 but it seems (from the outside) barely bigger than the Golf. The A4 Allroad looks like it fits everything except price. I just got a Tiguan as a loaner while my car is in service, and she is not a fan of the size, so something at least shorter than that is the target. I'm sure there's something out there for us but I'm out of ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFX
Nov 23, 2007
What are the thread's thoughts on the MINI Countryman or Clubman? Lots of people, myself included, asking for various smaller hatches/crossovers/wagons etc. and I've noticed nobody had brought those up. They seem like decent options on paper, especially the 2017 Countryman that's coming out this summer, but I'm totally open to the fact that I am oblivious to something bad about them.

RFX
Nov 23, 2007
Any recommendations for a new dad car?

Proposed Budget: Up to low $30s
New or Used: I would like new, but wouldn't mind something slightly used - though tech is important to me, I really want it to have at least Android Auto
Body Style: Open - I'd love something with a hatch but I would like to avoid huge SUVs. May be open to a smaller crossover.
How will you be using the car?: Commute to work (short) and hauling the baby around (car seats are so big now my GTI barely fits one well, and I imagine we'll have two in the lifetime of my next car so will need room to grow. Even the trunk just isn't enough for more than a stroller and a few small grocery bags.
What aspects are most important to you? Safety and ease of use with car seats are the most important things for me right now, but I want something that is fun to drive, which for me means quick acceleration and nimble with tight steering.

I am looking mostly at the Accord 2.0T Sport since that looks like it fits all my checkboxes pretty well (except a hatch) but wanted to see if this thread has any other ideas. My wife already has an Outback, which is a great car, but I'd like something different.