Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
2200 mile update on my 2019 Camry Hybrid LE:
I love it! It drives great, the heated seats have been the most welcome feature that I did not expect to enjoy. I don't always get 50mpg daily, but I usually get around 47 with combined driving on a full tank. The trunk is spacious, even though it carries a full spare under the well-designed full size spare enclosure.

The interior is comfy and dare I say attractive? I've had many Toyotas and this Camry's interior quality is the best of them, although my 92 Supra was very nice for its time. I have an infant in a rear facing seat and there's plenty of room. We took a 1000 mile road trip to visit family, traveling across the West Virginia mountains. I got noticeably worse mileage going north compared to south, which makes sense as the combustion engine ran for pretty much the entire trip. Going slower would probably have helped, but to be honest I was really enjoying having so much more power than my old ride.

I recently took a work trip to Wisconsin, so I was excited to rent a non-hybrid Camry SE. I thought it looked a lot more sporty than mine, with sharp wheels and some exterior touches that might make you forget it was a Camry for 2 seconds.

Feeling the engine run non stop was a bit different and the car felt louder overall. I was very sad when I got on the road and realized that heated seats don't come on the SE. It was one thing I was looking forward to having in such a cold climate.

Anyone thinking of a Prius might think about driving the Camry. I got mine for $25.6k with tinted windows and floor mats. It doesn't feel like a poverty spec car at all. The only thing I would change are the hubcaps. They're pretty ugly with being able to see the steel wheel underneath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

my probably flawed understanding was that the sunroof was invented first and was naturally just a panel you could lift out or slide, allowing sun to come through the roof. then once you could get a glazed one (lets in light but not air) it got called a moonroof because the other poo poo already was named a sunroof

edit: ASC was named such before they even hosed around with glass panels

This here. To me, a sunroof was those pieces of leaky poo poo in the 80's that were basically a hole cut into the roof and a shoddily installed piece of glass that "popped up."

A moonroof is one that slides into the bodywork and is nearly completely open when retracted. They usually have the ability to pop up in the back, as well.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Something Offal posted:

I've said it before and I'll continue to be annoying, good adaptive cruise (working down to 0 MPH and starting up again) is A+++++++ and once you use it you'll immediately wish every car on the road had it. You'll instantly know that it is the future of driving. If every car came equipped and idiot drivers used it, it'd single handedly reduce traffic jams in cities by a huge margin. Not to mention the many other benefits to not having to focus so much on the speed of the car in front of you, which is a large portion of the attention required during driving.

I work in the tech industry in a different space than cars, but if I was in the automotive sector I'd aim to spend a ton of my time making ACC tech cheaper, more accessible, easier to use, and finding ways to encourage buyers to use it. No doubt many new car buyers have it but will never care to read their car's manual or be aware that the feature is there.

This was a very welcome surprise on my Camry. I had no idea it existed, and the first slow crawl on I-77 through the tunnels of Virginia made me a believer. A+++++++ does not contain enough plusses.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Something Offal posted:

I'm glad you liked it on the Camry, I could be wrong but unfortunately I believe Toyota still uses a poo poo-tier system that shuts off at ~20 MPH, which eliminates a huge benefit that is ACC in stop/go city traffic.

My Camry goes to 0 mph. You have to press the resume button or tap the gas pedal to get it moving again after stopping.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Something Offal posted:

Gotcha, that sounds like the Correct Way. My knowledge on Toyota comes from Corolla, either they updated it recently across the line or the cheaper models get the crappier system. Camry is a great car.

I think it must be a recent thing, because I don't think any of the Toyotas I rented have had it.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I almost bit on a great deal on a stripper model, but it had an exterior/interior colors I did not want at all. I took that written offer to another dealership with a similar car, but it had tinted windows, a pinstripe (blech), and floormats included along with colors I could live with. I saved myself 6k from the "MSRP" listed on the car.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

the tingler posted:

My mechanic told me a coil in the transmission of my 2006 Prius is bad and the cheapest option is to replace the entire transmission for at least $1500. I've only had the car for four years, the car has 160k miles and I've had to replace the hybrid battery and a fuel pump in the last 20k. If I decide to sell it, wondering what the current recommendation is these days - another Prius? I know I got it used and ymmv and all that, but kind of disappointed I had to sink as much money as I did...

Anyways

Proposed Budget: ~$4k-$7k
Used
Body Style: Hatch or something similar. Lots of rear cargo space for easy loading
How will you be using the car?: City driving
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, Cost of ownership/maintenance, mileage, longevity
I live in CA
How big is your mechanic's boat?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I cannot ever, in good conscience, recommend a Dodge/Chrysler for any reason. My coworker has a Pacifica and has nothing but problems with it. Buyer beware!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Enjoy your LE Camry Hybrid. My 2019 has 60k miles and it's still awesome for me.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

UU TEE EFF posted:

If there really is a ~$13,000 gap in depreciation from the Model 3 to Prius then it is not the choice for me, but if it is closer to and $8,000 difference, the Model 3 is a lot more appealing to me because it is electric.

Can you guarantee you'll get that tax credit? I recall it being up in the air on certain models.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

trevorreznik posted:

Selling vehicle question:

I'm going to inherit a four door 2019 Ford ranger fx4 with my sister in a few months. While I like the truck, I live in Chicagoland, work from home and our household puts about 5000 miles a year on our two old beater vehicles.

While I wouldn't mind upgrading the 99 Camry I drive a few miles a week (which has bad rear struts), it doesn't make much sense to keep the truck (and buy out my sister). The only feature I really want in a new vehicle is auto cruise control, which it doesn't have.

That being said, will it be better to sell it where it currently is (central Illinois) or bring it up to Chicagoland and sell there? The demand for trucks is higher down there, but far fewer people.

From last week but doing rear struts on a '99 Camry is super loving easy. Especially if you buy the entire assembly.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Keyser_Soze posted:

The thing had like 3,500 miles on it and shouldn't be completely worn out yet, and also had street tires - so I doubt anyone actually could get very far off a highway in it or more likely they did multiple off road courses/jumps and then somehow also destroyed the accelerator pedal, brakes, and transmission along with the entire suspension

By far the worst rental car I ever had. I don't understand why anyone owns one of these after driving it for 2 minutes.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Loan Dusty Road posted:

Ooo I didn’t know you could get aftermarket CarPlay for all these cars that don’t use DIN sizes or have most of the car controls built into the interface. What are the options for these?

I added an aftermarket radio to my 2019 Camry. There was a custom dash piece that I needed, but I did everything else myself. It isn't perfect (the cheap radio sometimes crashes to the main screen, and I have to launch Android Auto) but it's great to jump in the car and just go. I don't charge my phone everywhere I go because I don't have an iPhone, but I did run an additional wire hidden above my center console that plugs into the head unit for long trips.

This absolutely may not work in all cars. I think I like the Audi infotainment system the best of all that I've tried. If money was no object, I'd have a Q7 in my driveway.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

zedprime posted:

As a renter I can first handed tell you not to buy the cars I rent.

This makes me sad. I don't stop myself from enjoying my rentals but I definitely don't abuse them. Most of the time I'm in no rush, doing 5 over on the freeway and trying to figure out how to turn a feature on or off.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Oh, that Grand Cherokee I took up a Mount Rainier road....

Don't buy that one for sure.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
The Camry hybrid is a whole lot better than the Fusion hybrid, IMO. They were fairly close in price when I bought mine at the end of 2018, and the Camry had a full size trunk (no big square box for the battery).

I'm at 70k miles now and I still love my car.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

zedprime posted:

You can tell we are in the dark future because pick ups and SUVs have finished their transformations into full-size-vans-but-worse yet are the popular options filling the used market.

You mean you don't want a minivan with worse seating and a 4-foot bed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Is he buying new or used? Either way, I'd recommend a RAV4 or CRV (although my mother in law had a few stinkers in recent memory).