Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eurekapile
Jan 9, 2008

don't horace around
I've narrowed my desired car down to either a Mazda3 hatchback or a Mazda Protege5. Three weeks of searching around the Cincinnati area (and Kentucky and Indiana...) have yielded barely any results. I know because I'm only looking for a manual transmission my options are limited, but drat. Are these cars pretty popular and get snatched up quickly? If I can't find one soon I'll go buy the blue Mazda3 hatch with a hotwheels style flames coming from the wheels - always a classy choice.

Today while browsing a dealer website I stumbled upon a newly listed red 2004 Mazda3 s hatchback. It has 91,000 miles, manual transmission, cloth seats. They are asking $9000. KBB lists the car with that mileage for 9,686, Emunds says the market value is around 7-8.5 thousand depending on the condition and options.

It seems like a good deal to me, especially because they seem hard to find, and it's the type of car I want. The mileage is fantastic. What are some of your opinions? If the car looks in good shape should I go for it? Try to talk them down?

I have 5500 cash on hand, a 97 Saturn for trade in (I hope), and a credit card that has a high enough limit. Should I expect to be able to even use a credit card? Should I try to get a small loan from my bank?

My Saturn is on its last legs and after three weeks of looking I feel like I need to purchase a car very soon.

And, because, hotwheelz leadin’ the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eurekapile
Jan 9, 2008

don't horace around

IOwnCalculus posted:

I wouldn't expect them to give you poo poo for the Saturn unless it's in exceptional condition...which it isn't. .....
I put the down payment on a CC each time because a) it's so much easier than dicking around with cash or checks and b) hey, rewards!
I like the idea of putting the down payment on my CC. I'll try to get a car loan from the bank for the rest of the cost. Is it a reasonable possibility to go to the bank and walk out with a car loan and a check to give the dealer?

I'm not surprised the dealer won't be interested in my Saturn. Between the ducttape securing the shifter to the cable, rusty frame and the quarts of oil burned off per week, it's a rather worthless car. But hey the AC and heat work.

wide stance posted:

Helpful Chart

This is great. It reminded me I'll need to check on the engine mounts because apparently they can give out in this car. And to check for rust. Stupid rusty Ohio.

I did see the carfax. The car has one owner, regular dealer maintenance, no major repairs. Good signs.