Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

One morning, Shimmy awoke to find he was a awesome shiny bug.
Proposed Budget: Maximum of $25,000
New or Used: New
Body Style: Any size sedan (not a SUV/Truck/Hatchback/Station Wagon)
How will you be using the car?: I will not be using this for any super specific purpose. I would like it to be able to handle going up mountains were there will be likely snow for snowboarding. Mountain roads are also likely. I don't plan on doing heavy hauling with it. Roughly 30 mile commute daily.
What aspects are most important to you? The most important aspect for me are the car being reliable and having good gas mileage. I would love if it was a little sporty, but that doesn't need to be the central focus. A good stereo would be appreciated, and I would strongly favor something that can play music off a portable player/phone.

Really this will be my first purchased car so I want something that I can trust and which doesn't have large additional costs. Sorry for being boring :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

Friar Zucchini posted:

As someone who does not understand the purpose of a sedan... why? What does a sedan do better than a wagon?

To be honest it is really more of a style thing for me; I love cars that have more aerodynamic of a profile. I would also assume that this would come with better gas mileage at the cost of space.

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This is wrong. Sedans aren't inherently more areodynamic, and the cD times frontal area is going to determine your aerodynamic drag, not "does it look sleek." Nothing wrong with liking the styling better, but there's no actual advantage to a sedan unless you need/want a secured trunk.

My understanding on aerodynamics is that the dramatic change in crosssection caused by a squared back to the car increases the back pressure, which in turn increases the form drag. This would come in the form of a larger Cd, roughly 0.30-0.35 for sedans and 0.35–0.45 for SUVs (numbers may be off but the relation is correct). Sorry for the tangent from the purpose of the thread.

The Ford Fusion looks right up my alley. I have thought about that car in the past but haven't given it too much research. When I told my dad about it he mentioned reliability issues, is that at all true?

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

Proposed Budget: <$30,000
Body Style: Dependent on the other qualifications (No real need for a truck)
How will you be using the car?: I will be moving to a area of Idaho that deals with allot of snow, so I need something that can handle snow very well. I will also be taking the car up a number of mountains for rock climbing and snowboarding trips. Outside of that, I will just be driving around town, maybe going on road trips. I dont have a family to drive around so it doesn't need to be very large.
What aspects are most important to you? As mentioned above, I need a car with good handling. I would like the gas mileage to be average-good. I would love it if the car was a bit sporty, but with enough space to fit four people/snowboards at least.

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

I ended up taking a different job offer and will not be facing that much snow anymore, changing my requirements a bit:

Proposed Budget: <$30,000
Body Style: Dependent on what you guys think is best (prefer sport sleek shaping)
How will you be using the car?: I will be driving roughly a 20 minute commute daily, with rare trips up into the mountains or road trips.
What aspects are most important to you?: Really I would absolutely love a car that can turn heads. It sounds stupid, but I don't think I will have many chances to have a sporty car when I have a family and so I want one when I can. I would be looking for a minimum of 30 mpg with ideally regular fuel if possible.

Today I had been looking and the FR-S and the BRZ and loved them to death short of some things that killed it for me:

1. I am a safe driver so I likely wont get much out of them
2. Premium gas
3. It would make it near impossible to go up to the mountains, the FR-S even says to not use chains on them unless you get smaller rims.

To be frank, what I love in a sports car is the look, but it might come at a bit too much of a cost.

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I know I sound like a massive tool for wanting the sport look and want to turn heads but I am just trying to be honest. I just realize I am too safe of a driver to really want something too sporty. Even when I was test driving a mustang v8 I thought to myself "this is way more car than I will ever need or be able to use". I just don't want to be boring and practical like I usually am and get something fun and interesting.

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

Proposed Budget: I would prefer to stay >$10k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Depends on below
How will you be using the car?: I am a single guy that likes to go hiking. I am currently leasing a Scion FR-S (not one of my best choices) and have been annoyed at the difficult it has in snow and on service roads. That being said, I don't mind the limited space (though having enough seats for 4 people would be ideal for trips). I am looking for a car that can handle these crappy roads/conditions but that is not built for family trips (don't need the storage or seating) or hauling anything. I will be commuting in this car so gas mileage and reliability are pretty important to me. As for luxuries, if I can get a aux jack or usb then I will be fine with whatever.

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

Based purely on cost/reliability/gas mileage, what cars tend to save the the owner the most money over the long run? Obviously Toyota and Honda have great reliability, but they come at a large sticker cost with even a large number of miles. You goons seem to always point to the Prius, but is there a particular range of model years that you would point to? I really don't have many requirements when it comes to a car and I am looking to end my FR-S lease soon (realized that was the opposite end of the economy spectrum).

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

Are you buying new or used? With a FRS today, even on lease, you've got to be in the ballpark for a new car from either of them.

I actually found the price of a new Honda to be pretty favorable. The low depreciation plays into your favor if you buy new as well.

I was looking at used, but that is because I am really just looking to get the most miles for my money. I found the FR-S to be fun and all (though the inability to go up into the mountains or drive more than one friend was a bit lame), but I am now just looking budget commuter car for the most part. Do you think i would ultimately be better off price-wise in the long run getting a new car than something a couple of years old (or many years old)?

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

Proposed Budget: $10k - $15k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Sedan
How will you be using the car?: Will be mostly using it as a commuter car, it would be nice if i can take friedns places in it and go up into the mountains on odd occasions (not enough to get something super focused on that)
What aspects are most important to you? I would consider the overall cost of ownership to be the most important aspect for me. Have a aux jack and usb would be nice, but the aux jack is far more important. I am going to be turning in a FR-S lease in April so I am looking for something allot more practical. I personally didn't mind the lack of tech or harder suspension, but I did find the inablilty to take 3 friends places annoying. I am also hoping to get away from rear-wheel drive as it was a pain in some snow situations and on back roads.

As this is basically the most bland requirements possible, I am leaning towards getting a civic or a accord as I know they will stay functional for a while. I am posting in case there are some better other options for a car 2-6 years used that would hit the same price range.

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

Is it generally smart to spend the max you are willing on a used car? I have been looking around at available prius and civics in my area and have found a number of car options. What I don't know is what mileage range I really should be targeting as I can go as low as 30k for a good $13k which I am willing to pay. Is there a certain mileage or age range in which I will get the most bang for my buck?

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

What is your guys impression of the mazda3 hatchback 08-12? I have been looking really hard at honda fits the past week and do think they are a solid car but the look of the madza is way more my taste. If it comes down that the Fit is way above the competition for a smaller hatchback then I will go with that, otherwise I am curious my other close quality options.

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

So I have fully settled on getting a Honda Civic, drove a number of cars and the 2012 seemed the perfect size for me and the steering was reasonably tight (compared to corolla and mazda3). My only concern is that I know that the 2012 is kind of a odd duck with the 2013 right after it. I didn't really mind the lower quality interior but I have heard that the 2013 is a better ride. I plan on giving the 2013 a ride to see if it is much of a improvement so I am sure that will influence things.

My concern is that while I can find 2012 civics for $12k at 40k miles, all civics that are 2013 and earlier are $15-16k for about 30-40k miles. Have any of you had an experience with the two models that would give you a opinion on if the price jump is worth it?

EDIT: The one feature of the 2013 I do pine for is the Backup Camera

ShimmyGuy fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 16, 2016

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

we wanted to skip the first model year CVT in the 2014, which basically made the choice for us.

Has this been shown to be a issue? I am also looking at a CVT.

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

The analysis paralysis is real for this purchase. I went out and got to test drive the 2013 Honda Civic. The interior was allot nicer and I did like the backup camera, but when I was test driving the steering seems to have way less resistance than I remembered with the 2012. I am coming from a FR-S so I have grow to love heavy steering, though I guess I would get use to it with time? It was actually the thing that made me also dislike my test drive with the Mazda3. One thing I noticed was that between the Honda Civic 2013 and the Prius Two 2013, I have about the same options for mileage/price. It looks like it would be either going with a $15k Prius with 40k miles, or going with 2012 for $13k for the same miles. Is there any practical reason to choose the Civic over the slightly more expensive Prius? I know that you guys seem all rock hard for the Prius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

Sitting at a lot with a 2012 civic with 40k miles for 13k and a 2013 with 20k miles for 15.5k, what you guys think?