Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard

ladyweapon posted:

I posted back in March about financing a car, got a lot of good suggestions (thank you again, by the way), but haven't yet bought a car. I am clearly in no rush to buy anything. A good friend was actually letting me drive their car (97 subaru) for a bit while they weren't using it. In return, I did basic checks on its fluids & replaced a headlight. It made me really reconsider buying a little 3K beater for cash to drive around for 2-3 years while I save up to buy a nice(r) car outright. I grew up in a family of cowboy mechanics (got a chain and a sturdy tree? that pushed-in front end will be fixed in no time!) & legitimate mechanics (don't let uncle fred near your car unless it's not worth fixing anyways), so my knowledge of car repair/maintenance isn't the best, but I can get under the hood of an old car and fix a reasonable amount of stuff. It was also kind of fun to get under the hood and fix things. :3:

Copy & paste of the pertinent stuff:
Budget:
$2000-4000
Body Style: 2 or 4 door, very compact. A Camry is too big and a smart car is about right, but on the small side.
How will you be using the car?: To/from work for the most part. 5 days per week, 16mi round trip. Trip can either be almost all freeway driving or not. Its usually a similar commute time based on traffic. An additional 3mi/day for gym/school.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliable, DIY fixable, automatic transmission, with good mpg is about all I care about for the most part.

Subaru's are very popular in Portland. I have a friend who swears by Toyota Tercels. Last cars I owned was a 98 Plymouth Neon back in ~2004 which seem and a 93(ish) Geo Prizm in ~2006. The Neon ran like a champ despite me treating it like complete poo poo.

Not a lot of choice for that budget; it really depends on what's on the market near you. A corolla/civic type car with reasonable mileage and no accidents is about as good as you'll get.

Sokani posted:

Proposed Budget: 8-12k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: 4 Door car
How will you be using the car?: To and from school
What aspects are most important to you?: MPG, reliability

I know nothing about cars, so I can't even give an example of what I'd prefer. As long as it has 4 doors, decent MPG and won't break often I'm happy.

An earlier Prius would be in your price range... Or a 2011 ish Honda fit, which is adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard

Drunk Badger posted:

So I emailed about 5 dealers that had the model I wanted, most of them are coming back and giving me a price and stating they're some sort of one price shop and they're 'already offering me their lowest price'. Has anyone been able to negotiate with these kind of guys?

Yeah, I don't think that's a real thing. They're just tired of having people make them negotiate with other dealerships so they're testing your gulliability.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Proposed Budget: ~$8K-$12K, located in Utah
Body Style: Midsize or bigger 4 door sedan
How will you be using the car?: :siren:MY WIFE:/siren: will be using this car to cart our two small kids around and for family outings. They are currently 2YO and 2 mos. so car seats are in our current future for a while. We currently put about 6-7K miles a year on her car. We do plan on having more (probably one?) kid(s). We will look to get a mini van then.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?: Creature comforts like A/C, power windows/locks and AUX in are about as much as we need. Don't need a beater
What aspects are most important to you?: Safety, reliability, ease of basic maintenance (I can do most things like brakes, plugs, belts, etc)

My wife's '05 Mazda6 is beginning to give me more headaches than I think I am wanting to deal with and I think a new car is in our future. Replacement car will be paid for in cash and is independent of any sale/trade in value of the current car. I really don't mind cars that are around the same age or newer than the Mazda. I would likely not buy a US domestic car because I think they are all ugly for the price range we would be looking in. This will be a car that we will have for ~3 years or so when we decide we want to add another one to our family.

Cars I have been looking at:
Acura TL (04-08 body style) A brother in law has this generation and it is a very classy car. Looks miles better than the generation after. Most in this price range have mileage where timing belts/water pumps are needing to be replaced. As the car is likely a transitional car for a few years I don't think that the value will diminish a ton, and with as few miles as we drive a year that will probably aid in not depreciating

Another Mazda6 Overall the car is not bad. I have owned a 6S (V6 model) and Speed6 (AWD Turbo) and I am familiar with most quirks. One that is newer and with fewer miles/more gadgets might be enticing.

I don't want a Toyota. They are far too boring. I suppose I could consider one of the early model Cadillac CTS cars (even though domestic I kind of like them).

What other cars should I consider?

You could skip a step and just get a Mazda5 now, as vans go it's about as nimble and driver friendly as they get. And it seats six, so it's both not huge and big enough for your plans.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Dub Step Dad posted:

Hello everyone.

I am looking to buy my first car pretty soon. I have been looking around and have found two cars that I really like, but am really unsure of what to pick.

The first is a 2013 Kia Forte.

The other is a 2011 Chevy Cruze.

Thanks in advance! :)

I've rented both a 2013 Forte and 2013 Cruze and found the Forte to be a much nicer driving experience - roomier, more comfortable, better mirrors and visibility, less road noise. I can't imagine an older Cruze would be any better. I'd do the Forte, if those were my choices, but this is all based on subjective assessments.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Throatwarbler posted:

For the same amount of money as the Fit you could get for example a FIAT 500L, which has 4 doors and is substantially larger, or any number of larger cars.

While good in theory, you would then have to drive a Fiat 500L

Personally, I like the fit, but it's hard to justify when you can get a whole sedan for the same price.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

jonathan posted:

Hrmm, Time to swap out some vehicles. My Jeep has been sort of a hobby and fun vehicle, but I am bored with it and the things I want to do with it are more suited to a dedicated offroad vehicle. I'm returning it to stock and selling off the parts. Not looking for financial advice.

Currently in the driveway:

2008 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited 150,000km (Worth Roughly $20,000)
2011 Ram 2500 (Worth roughly $24,000)

Come January I'm going to trade the Jeep for a 2015 Wildcat X
http://ca.arcticcat.com/sidexside/model/wildcatxeps#white_metallic

The pickup is my hauling and vacation vehicle. It only gets driven once or twice per month. Now I need a commuting vehicle. I'm not sure what though, so toss some ideas at me...

Currently considering Subarus, AWD 300c's, smaller SUV's, depreciated Ford Focus ? Cruze ? I'd like better than 20mpg in town.

Proposed Budget: $10,000 or less
Body Style: Must be front wheel drive, all wheel drive or 4x4
How will you be using the car?: Commuting 15km to and from work in temps from +30c down to -40, running errands and driving 1150km to Vancouver and back every few weeks.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?): Gizmos no, but some luxury yes
What aspects are most important to you? MPG, Comfort/Legroom, Ability to seat 4 comfortably, Reliable, nice to drive at speed on the highway.
3. If you do not live in the U.S... Canada!

That off road vehicle is neat.

Enjoy your second generation Prius!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Proposed Budget: 10,000-13,000 CAD
Body Style: non teeny hatchback
How will you be using the car?: Road trips and light camping trips only, no commuting.
What aspects are most important to you? fuel efficiency and storage space are paramount. An AUX port is high tech enough.

Was looking at the 2013 Honda Fit, for the amazing storage space, cute factor and low TCO. However, two things happened:

1 - my partner got into grad school across the province, and
2 - I rented a Chevy Cruze for a work trip and fell the gently caress in love.

And it comes in a hatchback! But only this year. Oh dear.

So slightly revised:
Proposed Budget: Stop me from hurting myself
New or Used: I want dumb things for dumb reasons
Body Style: it comes in orange!
How will you be using the car?: ~300km of commuting per week, plus groceries and road trips / light camping.
What aspects are most important to you? torquey but refined acceleration and low MPG.

Basically, I'm hoping you fine people can save me from myself. I'd like to have some of the new Cruze's road trip characteristics (quiet cabin, good acceleration, useable infotainment, very reasonable mpg) and to get it in a used vehicle, ideally for substantially less than a new car. I've looked at all kinds of reviews for other hatchbacks (mazda3, focus, elantra gt, forte5, prius) but as it turns out, I'm secretly a sucker for a mature, no-nonsense, elevated driving experience. Previously drove an '07 Matrix, whose engine was insufficient but whose trunk I adored.

First hand accounts would be awesome. :)