Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
Proposed Budget: 10-15k
New or Used: Used (certified?)
Body Style: 4 door
How will you be using the car?: Daily Driver, long moves every 3-4 years
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?
Nope, fairly basic is fine.
What aspects are most important to you?
Reliability, gas millage not being too terrible, snow driving

Hey thread, I currently have my very decent Nissan Cube, and after doing a 700 mile move, I realized something. It is small. Very, Very, Very small, and it fit all my things, after doing voodoo/magic and amazing packing. I want to upgrade to something bigger, that can drive in winter if needed, and still haul enough stuff to fit into a small bachelor pad. Thanks in advance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

Budget 4000-6000
New or Used: Used
Body style: Small car/sedan.

So my dad is asking me to help him find a first car for my younger brother, and I'm trying to find a used car that is generally easy to fix/has common parts and is somewhat cheap. Price to value is huge, any suggestions if brand isn't a sticking factor but price is?

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

My old man wants to replace his minivan
Proposed Budget 7-15K
New or used: USed, since I doubt a 6+ passenger car new is in this budget.
Body style: SUV/Minivan, needs to hold at least 8 to replace the sienna
How will this car be used: Daily driver, kids and parent to school/work.
Most important aspect: reliability, passenger capacity, the current minivan gets 13-15ish MPG and used premium gas, so mileage can suffer compared to passenger capacity.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

You are both kinda-sorta hosed on the new angle since there is no such thing as a true small new truck on the US market right now. The Ranger/B-series, Colorado/Canyon, and Dakota have all been dead for a few years. This leaves only the Nissan Frontier and Toyota Tacoma, both of which are nearing a decade on their current platforms.

Neither of them are all that small, either. They're smack in between the older true small trucks and modern half-ton fullsizes.

MPG is relative, and doesn't seem to be any better on the newer ones than the old ones; expect low-to-mid 20s (like 22-24) out of any 4cyl and very high teens / very low 20s out of any V6. A 4cyl truck is going to be pretty damned slow, at least based on my '98 Ranger and the 119hp it claims to have.

The flip side is that trucks are simple beasts and I haven't heard of any major reliability problems with any of them. Go test drive them and see if there's anything you like about one over the other because that's really going to be the only difference.

IF you are willing to wait 6 months, the small truck market is returning with a new Colorado, so yeah, for us small truck fans, we have to wait a little longer.