Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
My wife and I are looking for a second car. We own/share one car, while I have a motorcycle and she has a scooter. We rarely "need" a second car but when we do it sucks (bad weather, hauling poo poo, passengers, etc) so we have decided to look into buying a second car as a 'backup' vehicle to be driven sparingly.

Proposed Budget: $5-10k cash
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Sedan or maybe a pickup if we find a great deal.
How will you be using the car?: City driving, perhaps a highway trip every so often
What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability

I found a local dealer who is selling a 2003 Audi A4 quattro Turbo with 90k miles for $8,900. I have always liked A4s but don't know much about their maintenance requirements or long term performance. What price should I offer on this particular vehicle, or should I look for another make and model? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Thank you for the previous feedback on the Audi - I decided not to go with it. I have been looking at the Chevy Equinox. I get GM discount from my dad, but am also ok with buying used. Any good or bad opinions on this vehicle? Anything I should look out for or avoid?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Proposed Budget: ~$10,000 US

New or Used: Used

Body Style: Pickup

How will you be using the car?: My wife drives to work about 2 miles every day on a scooter and we share a 4 door car on bad weather days. We want to get a dependable, mid-size or small pickup that she can drive to work and we can use to haul/move things when needed. We can both drive standard so either one works for us.

What aspects are most important to you?: Reliability, affordable maintenance, safety

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Little pickups (or even big ones) and safety don't go very well together. How much are you planning to haul and move things?

Not very often at all - the occasional big purchase from Home Depot or to help people move things when needed. Mainly we just want something inexpensive and reliable - no frills or extras needed.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Budget: 10-20k

My wife works about 3 miles from where we live and needs a new vehicle. She rides a scooter to work in nice weather but needs something to get her around in bad weather. The main thing we're looking for is reliability but also the car will likely sit outside 24/7, so something that is resistant to direct sunlight(we live in Oklahoma)/rust/dirt/etc would be nice as well. Any suggestions goons?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Heavily considering a Kia sportage for general purpose driving. My wife and I also own a Cruze that I mainly use to commute to work, whereas she lives 2 miles from work so a vehicle with ~20-25 mpg is fine for her.

Is there anything I should be wary about concerning Kia? I've heard from friends that Kia is supposedly upping its game since it was bought by Hyundai but I am no expert. Can anyone weigh in on this for me?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

nm posted:

What year sportage. This is important. New one is fine. Older ones are a strong avoid.

As an alternative, the local dealership also has a really nice 2009 Benz Class C with only 30k miles on it for about the same price. Then again, I don't know poo poo about upkeep for a Mercedes.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
The wife and I are doomed to minivan/large SUV status with kiddo #3 on the way, so we looked around and test drove a few. We ended up liking the features and feel of the VW Atlas. Neither of us are very knowledgeable about automobiles so I thought I'd post here and see if anyone has any big criticisms or "OMG stay the gently caress away from those they are death/money traps!" type opinions. Thanks in advance. :)

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Yeah I was pretty surprised by the warranty. I've always heard that VW parts are expensive and hard to find in the US. Is that not as true as it once was?

E: Thanks!
VVV

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 26, 2017

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Well poo poo. I was pretty set on the Atlas until all this talk about AWD vehicles needing all 4 tires replaced at once started up. That poo poo sounds pricey. (Atlas has a FWD option but it's the smaller engine model and several people have told me the V6 is highly preferable)

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Slightly off topic but I've seen quite a few comments in the last couple pages about scheduled maintenance and wondered if any of you car pros could point me toward a reliable source for recommended scheduled maintenance for a 2011 Cruze Eco Manual. Knowing jack poo poo about how not to get ripped off, I thought I'd ask here. It's got 85k miles and I've owned it the whole time. I've performed the recommended scheduled maintenance up until about 75k but haven't done anything in the last year or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

MC Hawking posted:

Not to be flippant, but shouldn't that information all be in the owners manual? All the regularly scheduled intervals should be in there, and after that it's just a game of replacing stuff that's close to wearing out.

I should have stated it more clearly - part of my question was whether or not the owners manual is the end-all authority on what to service when. Especially since the '11 was the first run of the Cruze, I guess I just wondered if the owner's manual correctly documents everything I should be concerned about. Hope that makes sense.