Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Got caught in a flash flood on Tuesday evening, engine bogged down and cut out (I did not try to restart it) and as I was waiting for a friend to show up (10 mins max), water had accumulated inside the car up to the bottom of the door jams. At this point I got out of the car, and waited another 10 minutes for my friend to show up. I had the car in nuetral already, so when he showed up we just pushed and I didnt notice how much water was in the car at this point. I have a WAI intake on it, so no intake tubing runs below battery level so I doubt(ish) that water got in the intake. Although, standing next to the car before pushing it water was above my knees.

We got it pushed to higher ground, and it got towed the next day. Today is Friday, the insurance company still hasn't stopped at the shop to inspect it, the shop refuses to touch it (Which is fine by me). So the wet carpets and everything has just been sitting with no airflow because the windows have been rolled up this whole time. I had/have kickpanel enclosures that were actually custom made for me by a member of this site last winter that were completely submerged, and when the car was sitting before the tow truck showed up the front right tire was sitting at an angle between this | | and this / /.

I called the shop to see if the Insurance people have contacted them yet, and apparently the insurance people might get there by next Tuesday.

With the wet poo poo sitting in a car with no airflow for a week, and all that, how likely is it that they will just write the car off?

It is a 2000 Nissan Altima GXE (so cloth seats, no power seats) 92.5K miles, and had minor body damage before this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

If it's Progressive, sounds about right. Took them nearly two weeks to decide whether or not my Miata was totalled.

This made me laugh, it is Progressive.

And sorry for posting about it in so many places, I figured that this area of the forums might have more insurance goons that could give me the aspect from their mindset, whereas AI has been great at telling me whats probably all wrong with it.

Goons are great when Google Fails :3:

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Insurance adjusters like that are usually subcontractors. The insurance company goes with local outfits who come inspect the vehicle.

The problem comes in when your insurance company has some kind of preferred arrangement with like, one tiny outfit, and refuses to use someone else if they're overbooked or Joe is on vacation or whatever.

I have no idea if this applies to Progressive. But Amica has had someone on-site to inspect damage for me three times now, and in every case, they've managed to get someone there in like 3-5 days.

JackRabbit, I didn't mean to sound like I was chastising you for cross-posting; your reasoning is, well, reasonable.

Thanks for the info!

Stopped by the car today (3 days after the incident) and the car is raunchy, smells disgusting inside and my carpets are still soaked.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Bovine Delight posted:

The only subcontractor employees that big insurance companies (Progressive, GEICO, Allstate, SF) use are in remote areas where they don't have a local presence. It will be a company employee.

I don't actually think they have a physical presence in my area (Central Wisconsin)

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

So, question related to my flooded car that I posted about last week.

It happened a week ago today, and the adjuster still hasn't been to the car. Does it normally take a week? Should I be worried?

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

JackRabbitStorm posted:

Got caught in a flash flood on Tuesday evening, engine bogged down and cut out (I did not try to restart it) and as I was waiting for a friend to show up (10 mins max), water had accumulated inside the car up to the bottom of the door jams. At this point I got out of the car, and waited another 10 minutes for my friend to show up. I had the car in nuetral already, so when he showed up we just pushed and I didnt notice how much water was in the car at this point. I have a WAI intake on it, so no intake tubing runs below battery level so I doubt(ish) that water got in the intake. Although, standing next to the car before pushing it water was above my knees.

We got it pushed to higher ground, and it got towed the next day. Today is Friday, the insurance company still hasn't stopped at the shop to inspect it, the shop refuses to touch it (Which is fine by me). So the wet carpets and everything has just been sitting with no airflow because the windows have been rolled up this whole time. I had/have kickpanel enclosures that were actually custom made for me by a member of this site last winter that were completely submerged, and when the car was sitting before the tow truck showed up the front right tire was sitting at an angle between this | | and this / /.

I called the shop to see if the Insurance people have contacted them yet, and apparently the insurance people might get there by next Tuesday.

With the wet poo poo sitting in a car with no airflow for a week, and all that, how likely is it that they will just write the car off?

It is a 2000 Nissan Altima GXE (so cloth seats, no power seats) 92.5K miles, and had minor body damage before this.

So as an update on this.

Due to gross miscommunication between the insurance adjuster, the shop has just now taken a quick glance at the car. They think the timing might of blown, but wont be able to tear the engine apart until next week to check it out. The wet carpets and poo poo have been sitting in the car for three weeks as of yesterday. The adjuster is still adamant that it will most likely be repairable.

What I know is wrong with the car
Front passenger tie rod, possibly more damage.
Possible timing, car will not start, battery is fully charged.
Wet carpets that smell like death.

Is there anyway once they determine whats all wrong and the cost of fixing it to opt out of having them fix it and just get a check for the repair cost, minus deductible? I don't want that car back, its going to be an electric nightmare from here on out.

Also, what about the reduced market value of the car since it will now have a flooded/salvage title?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Bovine Delight posted:

A few things here. The vehicle will not have a salvage title if the vehicle is repaired, as it is not being considered a total loss. If it was completely flooded and unrepairable, then we'd be talking salvage title. If that was the situation, then the insurance company would pay you for the actual cash value (remember this, you'll see it often) less your comprehensive deductible. You could also retain the vehicle in this case, if you were so inclined, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you had sentimental value in a vehicle.

Nope, no sentimental value. I like(d) the car, but it's a pain in the rear end and always breaking down

quote:

Next, you will not receive any payment for the perceived loss of market value on this loss as every single state's policy except Georgia has a provision that you cannot collect Diminution of Value (DOV) for first party claims, which is what your claim is.

drat, that sucks, thanks

quote:

In addition, you can elect to not repair the vehicle and take the payment. Here is a problem with that route - if you do elect to simply get a check for the damages less deductible, be aware the payment will be for damages visible. It is highly likely that if they were to tear down (disassemble) the vehicle for repairs they would find additional damages you cannot see presently. Since they will not be doing tear down you will receive a payment for what is visible. If you ever elected to repair the car later, they could certainly do a reinspection to determine if there is additional damage.
So, if I elect to not do repairs and take check minus deductible, I keep the car? I was misinformed on this, so this is good information. They are doing a partial tear down over the next week to look into the timing belt and to see if there are any bent rods. The shop is doing this all on the adjusters go ahead. All the information I have about the car is after the fact from calling the adjuster, the adjuster doesn't call me to tell me whats going on. (Whole different rant there)

quote:

Lastly, I'm sure you've said it somewhere but I don't remember. If the vehicle is financed, be aware that the lienholder's name will appear on any draft as a payee and they will not endorse the draft without confirmation the vehicle has been repaired.
The car was bought on a cash loan from my grandfather, no lien.

quote:

Just an aside, your vehicle is totally repairable and based on the water height, I highly doubt it damaged any electrical components, for what it's worth.

I know it is repairable, but even the adjuster said it might be at the point where the cost of repairs gets close to the market value of the car so he may or may not write it off.

Thanks so much for the information, I had definitely been given some misinformation in the past regarding this.