Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

norton I
May 1, 2008

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I

Emperor of these United States

Protector of Mexico

reflex posted:

I bought a used Fit a month ago, privately. 2007 Sport with 98,000km on it. It needed new brake pads but I gladly bought the car knowing that. I always refuel when I hit half empty, which is 200-250km city driving in a week. Highly recommended.

Test drive as many cars in that class as you can (Yaris, Versa, Accent, maybe even a Civic). I read on Edmunds that Aveos are total crap so I didn't even look into them.

Thing rips on the highway too. Getting up to 130km/hour is no biggie with just myself driving (175lbs).

I bought a new Fit 2 years ago, and its been a great car. Pretty roomy for a subcompact, easy to drive around cramped areas, and gets very good gas mileage.

They're pretty expensive used, but the car is so simple there's not a lot that can go wrong. The only thing that might have any issues is the 5 speed auto, they've been selling these since 2006 or so, so no information on how well it lasts over the very long term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norton I
May 1, 2008

Protector of Mexico
Are there any opinions on 2020 Civics?

I test-drove a Si and thought it was neat, but all the dealers around here want at least MSRP for them, and I'm not sure I have the energy to learn how to drive one correctly.

Old Si's were the cars we drooled over in high school, but now I see is for what is it - a slightly faster economy car with a shifter that's nice, but not as magical as the auto press makes it sound.

I was pretty impressed by all the tech stuff, and the top trims look like they're getting ok discounts around now.

norton I
May 1, 2008

Protector of Mexico

nwin posted:

What do you mean by learning how to drive it?

My last experience with a manual was 10 years ago, I had to relearn some stuff.

I brought my dad along, he compared it favorably to the mid 90s Integra he used to have.

norton I
May 1, 2008

Protector of Mexico

Godzilla07 posted:

The last-gen Mazda 3 hatchback (2014-18) is as reliable as a Corolla, but a lot more fun to drive and definitely nicer inside in the Touring and Grand Touring trims. IIRC you can also retrofit CarPlay and Android Auto into any of these model year of the last-gen 3 for about $500 at the dealer. Plus it fits a bike:

I'll second this, I have a 2014 mazda3 hatch that's given me zero problems, blue book on it is ~10-11k. I'm starting to consider getting something new, but I do feel a little guilty about it as this car has been extremely cheap to take care of and has given me zero problems.

I do recommend getting one with a backup camera, rear visibility is poor and parking lot maneuvers are a pain without one.

norton I fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 14, 2021

norton I
May 1, 2008

Protector of Mexico

Math You posted:

Get a Mazda 3. "I want a reliable Japanese car but cool", doesn't leave too many other options imo

This is the perfect choice for someone who wants a Japanese compact but not a Honda or Toyota.

I managed to snag a turbo awd for ~28-29k before the market got weird, but you can get the non turbo versions with the same fake leather and the nice stereo for less. Great car for the money.

A cx30 is the same thing but a bit taller for a little more cash.