Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
I have basically the same question about going PHEV vs regular Hybrid. I've been looking at the Prius/Insight, Prius Prime/Clarity, and the RAV4 Prime on a lark, but I'm curious how the larger battery affects TCO if I'm planning to have the car for 10-15 years.

My driving needs are such that most of my driving would be able to be addressed in EV only mode if I go with a plug in, but I also don't put a ton of miles on my cars. I've got a 2008 Civic that I am the original owner of, and it still has less than 93k miles on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frabba
May 30, 2008

the tingler posted:

Maybe this is a question for a different forum, but is there any significant difference between the Prius and Prius Prime (plugin hybrid) in terms of reliability, cost of ownership?

If/when there is a battery failure, the battery in the prime costs considerably more per https://wholesaledirect.moderntoyota.com/

For the 2021 Prime, the Battery Assembly has a sale price listed of $9,967.80.The non-Prime battery is listed at $2,750.

That cost difference seems huge. Comparatively, the Honda Insight battery is supposed to be ~$3k and the Clarity battery is listed at $6,700 but I'm currently finding it on wholesale sites for under 5k. I'm not very practiced in tracking down part information, but it seems to me that the plug in Prius TCO is considerably elevated by going PHEV, while there is less of a bump moving between the Honda Hybrid/Plug in Hybrid options.

Hopefully someone who knows more than me about cars can explain if I'm picking the wrong parts or something.

Also: lmao holy poo poo the replacement battery for the RAV4 prime has a list price of over 18 thousand dollars, with a sale price of 12 thousand dollars. That puts an end to that little thought experiment.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Lmao what awful state is this that charges more for EV registration renewals?

It's a decently long list, including the entire west coast apparently.

https://www.ncsl.org/research/energy/new-fees-on-hybrid-and-electric-vehicles.aspx

Frabba
May 30, 2008

My only contribution to Civic chat is I'd be very interested to know if they've replaced the passenger side motor mount already.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

KillHour posted:

You guys are making me real happy I got MSRP on my new car.

You and me both, though within a month of me buying the manufacturer announced they were discontinuing production, RIP Clarity. Hopefully parts don't get too expensive over the next 7-8 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frabba
May 30, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

I'm vaguely interested in getting an electric vehicle, or maybe a hybrid or plug-in hybrid? I know nothing. I know less than nothing. Does the thread have a good primer? I'd like a reliable car that's nice to drive but doesn't guzzle gasoline, like if the Camry came as an EV or plug-in hybrid that'd be swell. Or maybe it already does? I don't know.

Does the Prius still have a douche factor associated with it for whatever reason or has that mostly faded away with time?

I was recently in the market for a plug in hybrid. The Prius prime is nice, and it gets really good gas mileage, but the interior is a bit lacking IMO. The Camry is available as a hybrid but nothing with a plug, the only two Toyota’s that come with a plug right now are the Prius Prime and the RAV4 prime. The thread is a big fan of the Prius in general, but that’s because most people come in looking for gas mileage + reliability.

They’re discontinuing it this year, but if you’re looking for something like a Camry with a plug in hybrid system, maybe take a look at the Honda Clarity? It is what I went with.

I would also recommend looking into any local incentives your state may have for plug in vehicles if you are buying new. For the clarity, I’m going to be getting a $7500 tax credit from the feds and NY state took 1700 off the purchase price upfront. https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxevb.shtml has the current federal credits, and there is a possibility of newer credits being passed.