Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

I'm needing a bit of advice regarding my current vehicle and if I should get a new one.

Took my current truck in (1998 Ranger with 116k miles) for new brakes in anticipation of a semi-long drive next month. The auto shop discovered a host of issues that need to be taken care of. I need new front and rear brakes (disc and drum), new rotors, front shocks, rear shocks, rear wheel seals and rear diff work related to the ABS sensor tripping. This is in addition to needing a new timing belt, plugs, AC work, probably new tires, alignment, etc. So from the estimate they gave me today and what I've been told it will cost for the other work, I'm going to be spending in excess of three thousand, probably closer to four thousand.

While I love my truck, I'm wondering if it is worth keeping it around. Blue book has it only worth between 4-5k. I don't really need a truck since most of the time I'm driving by myself and not hauling anything. Plus the fuel economy is not the greatest, getting 19 mpg on a good day.

I'm hoping to try and keep it for another six months till the fall. I figure I'll save as much as I can till then to have a larger down plus the trade in value. Is this wishful thinking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Hotbod Handsomeface posted:

That sounds like a lot of money for mostly maintenance work, which engine do you have? I think that you should get a quote from a different shop. This is hard to comment on because you just listed a bunch of stuff that a shop told you needs to be done. I don't get the feeling that you actually know what is wrong and what is fine.

If you are willing to do a little bit of learning you can do a lot, if not all of that work on your own. Rangers are very common and parts are readily available. They are pretty easy to work on. If you have the 4.0 ohv then you don't need to change the timing chain unless there was a catastrophic failure.

I believe I have the 2.5l OHC engine in my ranger. The shop did list a bunch of stuff, but the manager also took me into the garage and showed me the leaking seals on my front right shock and the leaking I'm getting from the seals in the back. I've known about the front shocks for a couple years now. I took a speed bump too fast while turning and since then it has made a strange noise when going over bumps.

As for the other stuff, I really didn't keep up with the maintenance schedule for a very long time. I've gotten quotes from two other shops, two chain and one local, and they all match up somewhat. Actually the place I took it to (Midas) was a bit high for some of the issues like the timing belt change not including the water pump. And I just forgot something else I probably need to have taken a look at, I'm still on the original clutch so I'm not sure how much wear I have left on that. But I'm very careful not to ride it or anything else that can burn it out fast.

I bought the truck and then got divorced so I didn't really have much money to spend beyond the very basics. So I'm waaaay over the line on plugs and the timing belt. I'm keeping an eye on the belt and it looks good, but I know I'm gambling. But from what they told me in AI, the engine is a non-interference one so if the belt goes it shouldn't take the engine with it.

I know at least two of my tires probably need to be replaced. Actually three since some bastard stole the spare from under the bed. The tires have a fair amount of tread left, but they are getting kind of cracked due to the sun. I've got no problem doing work on my truck myself, but since I lack the tools some of the bigger stuff like the shocks I'll have to let someone else do it.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Thanks all for the advice, I'll try and keep the Ranger going for a couple more months. I might even bribe a friend who has a bunch of tools into helping me. Not gonna drive it to Vegas next month though, gonna spring for a rental. Would not like to break down between Barstow and Baker, or any other part of the route.

IOwnCalculus, I have the exact same fruity green stripe on my Ranger too.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Proposed Budget: $23k
New or Used: Prefer new
Body Style: Either 2 or 4 door, hatchbacks are fine too
How will you be using the car?: Mostly driving to and from work, occasional long drives every two months or so
What aspects are most important to you? Fuel economy, reliability, decent stereo would be nice

Last year I purchased a Hyundai Veloster thinking it would save me money on gas and be more reliable than my 1998 Ford Ranger. Since I believed the literature that showed it getting 30+ city it looked like a good fit. But that hasn't turned out to be true. I've averaging 23 mpg right now, even with a KN filter and attempting to drive economical. When I took in it for a oil change at the dealership I asked the service tech about the mileage and he said that it probably won't get better. I'm also starting to get annoyed with the rear window, huge blind spots when backing up, and the terrible stereo.

So I'm thinking about trading it in and getting something that gets better gas millage and maybe is a better fit for me.

Before I bought the Veloster I was looking at the Ford Focus and Fiesta, Honda Fit, and something else. I'm not really interested in a hybrid or electric vehicle, but am open to them.

So what should I do, suck it up and live with a car that I'm not happy with or trade it in and get something that may save me money in the long run?

Comedy question: Leases are still a bad idea, yes? My parents lease their cars but they always go over mileage. In the 9 months I've had the Veloster I've put 6100 miles on it so I'm not worried about going over mileage.