Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
Proposed Budget:$3500-$4000
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Sedan, Coupe preferred, but mainly just no need for a large vehicle (truck, SUV, etc.)
How will you be using the car?: Mainly daily commute (~30 minutes each way), semi-regular longer trips to visit family (about 4 hours each way, about once a month).
What aspects are most important to you? Mechanical reliability mainly, cheap (just want to get from A-B reliably), followed by gas mileage.

Buying a vehicle with my wife to share for the time being. We're both current college students, 1 semester away from graduation. My classes are actually on site work 40 hours/week, she's still on campus for classes. We live next to campus, so we're going to be sharing it for the next few months until after graduation at least.

Funds-wise, we've got a max of $3700 cash in hand that we can contribute to the costs of the car. Income is hit or miss, but I work during my vacation periods from class, and should have another $1200 by mid March for further payments. Her current job is regular, and could contribute probably a max of $100 per month if need be. We'd much prefer to pay cash. We've a cash buffer on top of this, but we'd prefer not to dip into that pool. Post graduation, I'm looking at income of $50,000/year after loan payments are taken out. Her's is a bit sketchier. Tough job market for her field right now, no job lined up, and $40,000 would be probably the max she'll see, but she doesn't have any loans so anything she does bring in would be bonus.

Right now, our main options are a 95 Buick LeSabre, 94,000 miles at $3899 and a 2001 Ford Taurus, 58,700 miles at $2750. The Taurus seems like its a "too good to be true," so I'm pretty wary. Blue book is listing something like that at $6500. Only mitigating factor is that its out of an estate sale. I want to take it to a mechanic before going for it, but if it checks out its a great deal. The Buick is a car I'm familiar with. I drove the same year and model until it hit 200,000 miles (about 7 years worth), and I know I like the car. This one is just way less miles than the one I drove previously.

Thoughts on either of those two options, or is there I third choice I should start looking around for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU