Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mid-Priced Carp
Aug 10, 2008
Proposed Budget: $20k to 25k
New or Used: either, leaning towards new
Body Style: sedan or crossover
How will you be using the car?: daily driver.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, safety, cargo space

My '01 Pontiac Firebird, while in great shape for it's age, will not be worth repairing if something big goes wrong on it (again). Having done the small sporty rwd car, I started out looking for a midsize sedan. Being able to transport stuff, after years of driving a car that couldn't hold very much, was relatively important to me. I test-drove a Mazda CX-5 on a whim, which really made crossovers seem pretty appealing. I'm planning to move in the future, and the idea of being able to fit the majority of my stuff in the back and just go really appeals to me. I test-drove a Jeep Renegade a couple days ago, and really loved the way the trailhawk edition drove, but that's way out of my price range, and also silly for what is essentially a bunch of fancy packaging with different struts and springs. Are there any crossovers out there that meet my big requirements, but are also sporty, with decent handling and acceleration, that also aren't hideously expensive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mid-Priced Carp
Aug 10, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I would not call an F-body small by any stretch of the imagination since it's 194" long, so that may drive some of your perception of scale - did you think the CX-5 was too small?

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. When I referred to it as small, I meant in terms of the amount of stuff you could fit in it. You're absolutely correct about it being a very long vehicle, but the backseat is practically useless, and the trunk area didn't hold very much either. I actually would prefer a vehicle that is shorter, or at least, that you can see the ends of, instead of simply having to remember that there's an additional 2ft of hood and 1.5ft of trunk that you cannot see while driving. The CX-5 seemed to be a pretty perfect size, but I test-drove an awd version, which adds quite a bit onto the price of the car, even on the used models. I'm assuming here that awd is a big part of the reason the car handled so nicely, but I could be wrong about this. The one I tested was in my price range, but I suspect that is because it started life as a rental car and had 30k miles on it in its first year of ownership. Also, I thought the CX-5 had some nasty blind spots, but maybe that's just more of a thing with this type of vehicle? I also test drove a Jeep Renegade that I really liked, which is smaller than the CX-5 is, but I think what I liked so much about it was more of the nostalgia trip of driving a car that reminded me of the '83 CJ I learned to drive on, rather than its own merits.