Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Deteriorata posted:

I don't know just how close to a hot hatch you're leaning, but there are some cars in the CUV category that might be good.

An Infiniti QX30, Audi Q3, and BMW X1 or 3-series are at the upper end of your range but would be good real estate agent cars. They also have the brand cachet to impress clients if you need to do that.

Cheaper good hatches would be the VW Golf, Ford Focus, or Mazda 3 (as you've already seen).

Cheaper yet and you start to lose driving performance.

In particular, the 2013-15 X1 is really just an E90 wagon with a slight lift. You can even get one with the engine from the 335i.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Does this chart reflect reality?

It's not a bad overall picture. While there are definitely issues with CR's reliability data, aggregating it with other sources does paint a picture of FCA still having real troubles with reliability. Off the top of my head, there's the FCA/ZF 9-speed being a piece of poo poo prior to the Pacifica, transmission failures and electrical/radio problems in the Grand Cherokee, the diesels exploding around the 20K mile mark.

All this being said, I'd take the risk on a new Pacifica. It's actually good, Chrysler has sorted out the 9-speed for this application, and pricing has adjusted to significantly undercut the Japanese vans in the real world.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

FileNotFound posted:

We'll start with the factual easy to prove stuff first - a 2017 Kia Optima is 12-15k - yes you will need to drop down 1 year for an Accord or a Mazda6, but if you're buying used there is really not much difference between a 2017 or a 2016, or even a 2015 for that matter...

You can easily find a 2016 Mazda 6 in that price range - but here is a 2017 one:
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewPrintableDeal.action?inventoryListing=193620178

2016 Accord:
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewPrintableDeal.action?inventoryListing=188412035

Here's a 2015 with stupidly low miles:
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewPrintableDeal.action?inventoryListing=194542555

Here's a 2015 accord - yes 2 years older - but still extremely low miles:
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewPrintableDeal.action?inventoryListing=197014370

Every single one of these is a better purchase than a 2017 Kia Optima and in the same price bracket.

Those listings are cherry picked. Here's the national average prices for 3 year old midsize sedans, via CarGurus:

And the Optima and Sonata are pretty good cars, especially if you're shopping used. Overall they're well-rounded cars, you can get great deals on them because their reputation hasn't caught up to reality, and reliability is just a notch below Honda and Toyota.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

FileNotFound posted:

You can get great deals on them because they are pieces of loving poo poo:

http://www.dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Kia_Optima.html

Yup. Good car. Buy it. Don't get the Mazda 6 or Accord that's 1 year older - because the Kia is just as good.

I have never heard of this site before you brought it up. There's having problems with how Consumer Reports, TrueDelta, JD Power collect their data, and then there's having data that is a total outlier. That site's data also suggests that a Chrysler Sebring is more reliable than a Mazda 6, and a Chrysler Cirrus is more reliable than a Honda Accord. Really?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Anybody know some good resources for reviews and specs on specific cars? Any particular YouTube channels or other websites I should check out? I’ve read the manufacturer sites, but I’m having a hard time remembering a lot of the stuff I saw on them, and I’m trying to learn enough about these cars to be able to sell them.

Unfortunately I can’t say what cars I’m selling cuz I don’t want people to find out where I work, so I guess just give me a bunch of stuff.

Alex Dykes’s YouTube channel does detailed walkthroughs of cars, and most videos even have comparisons to similar models. Consumer Reports’s actual reviews are the most useful written resource, but CR is paywalled and have conservative tendencies w.r.t safety features, infotainment systems.

Edmunds is similar to CR but more neutral and with less detail. Car and Driver’s reviews are also useful, with a strong driving enthusiast bias.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Sharparoni posted:

Moving to a new job that will require me to drive rather than rely on public transportation as I have done for years, so in time I will be looking for a more commuter friendly car than my wife and I's Edge.

Proposed Budget: 30-35k, can stretch to 40 if there's a slam dunk out there
New or Used: Either
Body Style: 4 door compact or midsize sedan, or compact/midsize crossover.
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver, occasional other trips around town. Unlikely to have many long road trips. 15 mile commute each way.
What aspects are most important to you? Fancy gizmos/features, comfortable seats. Android Auto a plus. Driver assist packages not necessary but not a dealbreaker either. High reliability/ease of maintenance would be nice but not crucial, same with good gas mileage. I can't drive stick.

I have an unnatural disposition toward vehicles in the Ford orbit but only because my mom and dad retired from there; not beholden to the big blue oval. I am tempted to look at used German luxury cars but wonder about their reliability. On the flip side, I have heard really good things about the new Mazda 6 and Accord. Not in a hurry to buy anything, but would appreciate advice about narrowing down my options. :)

Accord Touring would be my recommendation here. Since you like Fords, the Fusion still holds up but does show its age, and real-world fuel economy is poor for the segment. For compacts, I'd recommend the Civic, Mazda 3, and VW Golf. The best compact crossovers are the CR-V and Mazda CX-5.

You'll get a better deal if you go for a car instead of a crossover, because everyone is ditching their cars for crossovers right now.

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

I agree with all these sentiments and read them to her, to very little effect :smithicide:

Ignoring style completely in the hopes that I can wear her down, what would you guys suggest to a sane person for our budget and intended camper/kayak-hauler use? Does a safe/inexpensive option exist at all, or are we still kind of pidgeonholed into a sedan at this budget no matter what?

Sorry to be that guy who wants something for nothing, I'm doing the best I can with the cards I've got.

The only thing you could really do is wave around fuel costs (16-17l/100km at best), and crash tests of SUVs and trucks from the period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLm8Lo2oylw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix-JjIRWOBU

If her heart is truly set on an SUV, Nissan Pathfinders don't seem to carry the same tax that 4Runners of the same era do, and are more maneuverable than a Tahoe/Yukon. Maybe a '95-'01 V8 Explorer could do too.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

CR said that infotainment was why the CX-9's reliability scores tanked. Even with that in mind, their advice was "well, if you like the car enough, go for it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯" FWIW C&D noted infotainment problems with their long-term 2016 CX-9 as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8YVRMm-nSQ&t=375s

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

TheReverend posted:

My office buddy has a 6 and that's why I haven't considered them. Everyone makes jokes that we're "work husbands" to each other.

Childish, so I'll reconsider the 6.

tbh if you didn't like a top-trim Accord, you probably won't like a top-trim 6

In a similar vein to the Stinger, the Charger Scat Pack is right there at $40K. While there is the specter of "lol FCA reliability", the Charger is a sorted-out car on that front.

The Genesis G70 3.3TT, a sister to the Kia Stinger, is another great option. The base trim with the 3.3TT in the G70 is a few grand more than the base Stinger GT trim, but if you want certain luxury options like adaptive cruise, a sunroof, or premium audio on the Stinger, both cars are priced similarly.

Some wildcards in used luxury options. Lightly used Infiniti Q50 Red Sports go for under $40K, but you might find the steering funky, and the infotainment is dated. You can avoid the funky steering on the detuned 300 HP versions, but those might not be quick enough for your tastes. The outgoing generation BMW 3-series seems to be much improved in reliability, but long-term German maintenance costs might scare you from the jump.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Guinness posted:

Even if the quality has improved by leaps and bounds, VW still does stupid poo poo like plastic oil pans, though.

I'm still strangely attracted to the idea of a Golf Alltrack with a 6MT, though, before such an animal disappears forever soon. That new 6yr/72k mile warranty allays some fears of getting stuck with a total lemon, too. After ~5 years you'd probably have a sense of whether it's any good or not and worth keeping.

Can't be much worse than my 15 year old BMW, right? :v:

Reliability seems to be fine on the MQB vehicles, and you probably would've heard of big problems by now considering that Mk7 Golfs are one of AI's most popular new cars

Zwingley posted:

Understandable, but I'm pretty confident the CUV will pay dividends enough outside my daily commute.

The chorus is really asking you to not dismiss sedans. There are definitely valid reasons to buy a crossover: available AWD, more usable cargo space, higher seating position. But modern sedans have virtues of their own. The Camry and Accord have interior room that used to be seen only in large sedans. On the highway, a midsize sedan will be quieter, have a better ride, and be cheaper to run.

For example: a Camry XLE that meets your requirements gets 39 MPG highway. Meanwhile a 1.5T CR-V will get 33 MPG. Assuming 25K highway miles a year with $3/gal gas, you save $350/year with the Camry over the CR-V. And the CR-V is the best example for fuel economy. A Mazda CX-5, thread favorite, will get 31 MPG, putting you at $500/year savings in the Camry.

Anyways, no matter what vehicle you choose, make sure that you're comfortable. What annoys you on a test drive will only get worse considering the time you'll be spending in the vehicle.

Other notes: if you're considering a RAV4, I'd recommend only looking at the 2019s. The other Toyotas released in the last year on the same platform as the 2019 RAV4 have been much improved over their predecessors. Do not buy a leftover 2018 CR-V; there is a nasty problem where gas mixes with oil in the turbo CR-Vs. Honda says the problem will be fixed on the 2019 models.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Sits on Pilster posted:

Does the Camry hybrid really get 50 mpg? Like in the real world.

Those LE Hybrids get 46 on Fuelly. That's still better than a Gen 2 Prius, and there's no cargo or power sacrifices for going with the hybrid

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

ScooterMcTiny posted:

How is the Honda/Toyota adaptive cruise control? That truly is my #1 priority, and it really kills on the Volvo.

And my wife, while I love her dearly, is anti-minivan or trust me I’d be in one in a heartbeat (assuming there’s a good one with ACC).

The version of ACC in the Pilot is not stop-and-go, and just not very good. The Highlander's ACC is an older system which doesn't do stop-and-go.

If your heart is set on an XC90, I'd only consider a 2018, or a lease. Everything was brand new on the XC90, which led to the 2016 and 2017 models being beta products. CR ratings and owners' forums report loads of issues: leaky sunroof, failing air suspension, brake problems, general fit and finish issues. Again, reliability looks better on the 2018 and newer XC90s, but that could also just be a function of time.

I'll also note that Ford's latest ACC on the refreshed Edge does include stop-and-go and lane-centering steering, and will show up on the new Explorer. Audi's Traffic Jam Assist can work too if you can find a Q5 or Q7 within budget.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Shine posted:

Curiosity, what are good options if I pick bank-vault-quiet and reliable? Eventually I'll stop being a cheap rear end and replace my early 2000s Matrix with something cushy. At 300K miles, the only of those three traits it offers is reliability. We recently rented a Camry for a 20-hour drive (mostly in one day), and it was like riding on a cloud in comparison.

So yeah, no particular budget in mind, but I'm wondering what are good options if I want a comfy cloud that runs forever and I don't care if it corners like an oversized Corolla.

The nicest Lexus LS you can afford.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Help! My wife thinks we need a minivan -- she's sick of stuff piling up in our cars and hates that the back seats are just CHILD CAR SEAT and bits of cheerios.

I kind of hate large cars (parking, MPG) and don't think we can afford gassing up something like that.

She's going to rent a Pacifica Hybrid for a few days to get a feel for it, but is there no comparable SUV/Crossover that might dissuade her?

I also think she's done with the range anxiety she occasionally gets in her i3.

The Pacifica Hybrid, while great, has typical Chrysler reliability.

A RAV4 Hybrid will get 40 MPG. There will probably be a new Highlander Hybrid sometime later this year, and the 2020 Ford Escape will be available as either a traditional hybrid, or a PHEV

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Pretty rad dad pad posted:

[critique] my takes about big fat american cars because I feel like I'm a reasonable use case

I moved to Canada a couple of years ago and have been driving a now two decade old Malibu which I bought for the price of a fancy coat; it's actually been fine on the whole but somehow manages to have less legroom than my old Skoda Felicia despite being, like 80cm longer? which is a bit aggravating; I live close to work, but also a mile up in the Rockies hours from the nearest city. I don't go anywhere that often but when I do it generally involves 8-16 hours' worth of car time depending on accidents, avalanche closures, herds of escaped chinese tourists etc so I appreciate having the ability to carry a whole pile of stuff (full size spare, camping gear, bunch of whatever I went to get or get rid of) while also having enough space to lie down and sleep in the car. The malibu is almost ok for this but is just a hair too short for the sleeping bit to work properly.

Ford: - Tauruses are reputed to have similar issues wrt the interior bits taking up the space that the humans should occupy and a tendency to combine oil & water so have dismissed;

Chrysler: - I am not sure I'm trashy enough to exist in a neon orange Dodge Charger although the idea is definitely amusing. At least it'd be easy to find after driving it into a ditch?
- the 300 seems ok but there's the "Chrysler" thing which is a reputation that transcends space, time and apparently the Atlantic. also I don't shoot people over cocaine;

GM: - Depreciation on the newer Impalas is hilarious and everything about them seems pretty decent beyond that, is there anything majorly negative I'm missing about buying a 3 year old one for what a 6 year old example of anything else on this list would cost? I used to work for a utility taking back company cars, I have seen what people will do to somebody else's car, and am not going to go buy one off the Enterprise lot, but the things that make them decent rental cars also seem like they should make them decent for idiots like me?

Toyota: - sort of the reverse problem, is a 9yo Avalon actually as good a car as a 3yo Impala?

Subaru: - I would like an Outback but would not like to pay the Outback premium and have heard a lot of bitching about uncomfortable seats, also, at least in my head, turbolol at buying a car with a CVT and then running it up and down mountains all the time;

Mazda: - gently caress you why won't you sell me a 6 wagon here

no Nissans, no nazimobiles, but am I missing anything obvious beyond that?

Go with the current-gen Impala with the V6. It's a great car with solid reliability. Just make sure you're not buying an Impala Limited, which was the last-gen Impala that GM kept selling new to fleets.

As far as comments on the rest, I'd say the 300 and Charger are reliable enough if you really like the car. The Avalon isn't worth the Toyota Tax. And an option not on your list worth looking into is the first-gen Hyundai Genesis, but avoid the V8 in the 2011 and 2012 models.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Uthor posted:

One thing, I believe that the full ten year warranty doesn't transfer upon resale? Like, the next owner would only get five or something.

If you buy a CPO Hyundai/Kia, you get the remainder of 10/100 for powertrain. Otherwise you get the remainder of 5/60.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

zapplez posted:

I'd go for an ES instead.

The Lexus ES is the official car of Floridian retirees, which is the opposite of stylish

As far as new options go, you can get a new Mazda 6 with the turbo engine for under $30K. If you can live with the chrome unibrow, the Accord Hybrid is another great pick. I'd also look into a GTI or a Golf Sportwagen; reliability has been fine on this generation of VWs, and you get a 6-year, 72K mile warranty thanks to Dieselgate.

The 2015+ Hyundai Genesis/Genesis G80 is handsome. The current-gen C-Class has been fine past the first model year, and the 2010-16 E-Class has had a solid reliability record. Usual caveats about German maintenance goes here. I'd also look into going a size class up into a GS over an IS for used Lexuses.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

The 9th-gen 2013-17 Accord might just save you from the indignity of having to drive a greyscale blob. This generation of Accord has lots of rear seat legroom for your child seats, and a large trunk. It's economical (29 MPG on Fuelly for the 4-cylinder), dead-reliable, you can get one with a manual, and the 2016-17 Accords have Android Auto available as a factory option.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

TheReverend posted:

I test drove a Stinger GT and really liked it but am bummed AF that the cool cruise control stuff is only in GT 2.

Guess I'll try the Camry XSE V6?

The Stinger's cousin, the Genesis G70, comes with adaptive cruise standard. But you need to see if the G70's cargo area will work for you.

Good luck finding a V6 Camry. The Accord is better here anyways, and the Mazda 6 is still competitive after the turbo and CarPlay/AA support was added. I'll throw in Charger Scat Pack as a wildcard since you can get them for under $40K with adaptive cruise today.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

A quick AutoTrader search in Florida indicates that you can get a 2016+ F-150 with the 2.7TT right around $30K. This would be my vote unless the better maneuverability of the midsize trucks is a hard requirement. 2016 brings you Android Auto and CarPlay, and you won't get the first-year production bugs.

The 2.7TT's real-world fuel economy is very competitive with the midsizers. Combined MPG on Fuelly is 18 for the 2.7 F-150s, and here's a thread that indicates 22-23 MPG highway.

The F-150 is a nicer vehicle to live with overall. I sat in the top-trim Ranger recently, and the interior felt cheaper than the volume XLT trim F-150. The interior of the F-150 is well-designed, with lots of interior storage and good ergonomics. It also has a massive rear legroom advantage for passengers, and/or car seats. Finally, the F-150 will have more towing and payload headroom than the midsizers.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

If you can find a used Lexus GS-F, they are around $50K now. Keyword being "can." Other options at the Lexus dealership are the nicest LS460 you can find, or a new Lexus ES hybrid. I would look into the latter two options if I were doing 25K miles per year, old person stigma be damned.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Hatch. Something like this.

https://www.westherr.com/certified/Honda/2017-Honda-Civic-eaf92a300a0e0a17016b669533623afa.htm

Is there something particular about 2020 Si that makes it notable, beyond being the newest version of the sportiest model?

Looking at Edmunds, the Si will give you the following over a Sport hatch: limited-slip differential, adaptive dampers, bigger brakes, sport seats that are also heated, dual-zone auto climate control, a sunroof, and the premium stereo from the Touring sedan.

A Civic is also one of those cars where the depreciation curve makes more sense to buy new, because you just aren't saving that much with a lightly used one. Civic Sis in particular have a very friendly depreciation curve that's closer to a Wrangler or 4Runner than any car.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

On the Odyssey, are there any documented reliability issues with the redesign? Automakers are increasingly just iterating on existing designs, so a new model might not have all that much that's mechanically different from it's predecessors.

The first MY of the new Odyssey rated as badly as the Pacifica in Consumer Reports' reliability surveys. Weird, because the Pilot and Ridgeline on the same platform have graded out okay (though not to the old Honda standard.)

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

khysanth posted:

Proposed Budget: 15k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: 4-door Sedan, Coupe, Hatchback
How will you be using the car?: Mostly daily driver. Short commute. Should compliment the Outback we own that we use for our mountain adventures. Basically a city (LA) car.
What aspects are most important to you? Roomy interior (I'm 6'3"), cheap parts/TCOO, adaptive cruise would be amazing, decent mpg, something that feels/looks like a "nice" car but is definitely not a luxury brand, automatic. Things I'm already considering are Altimas, Sonatas, Accords, Camrys... please add more to this list and help me figure out which is right!

The most important thing for you to do is to sit in the cars on your list to see if you're comfortable.

My suggestions would be a Ford Fusion Hybrid or Fusion Energi (2014 to present), the latter of which is a plug-in hybrid. If that's too big for you, perhaps a last-gen Mazda 3 (2013 to 2018) would be a good option.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Been dumping too much repair money into our 2006 Odyssey these past few years, so looking for recommendations.

Proposed Budget: ~35k, loosely. Cheaper is better. Variable though, if it gets us what we want.
New or Used: Used preferably, but will consider new under the right circumstances.
Body Style: 4-door with 3rd row seating.
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver. 30 mi round-trip commute to work, plus ferrying kids around to sports practices and games. Our other car is a 16 Subaru WRX, which is the "I only need to shuttle a couple kids around at a time" or the "take a day trip to Tahoe" car.
What aspects are most important to you?
- Roomy interior. I have 5 kids: 3 (10-14yo), and 11-month twins. So we need more legroom for the bigger kids, but need space for baby seats as well.
- Trunk space. From brief google research, our Odyssey has pretty decent-sized trunk space vs Suburban/Yukon/etc and can easily fit the double-baby jogger with all 5 kids. Extra cargo space is currently limited with our baby crap, but we have a Thule rooftop box for either kids or cargo. This is fairly important since we pack half the drat house for trips out of town.
- Gas mileage, since it'll be mom's daily work driver. The Odyssey is probably around 15-18mpg at this point, so almost anything is an improvement.
- 4WD/AWD. We live in Sacramento, so a few trips to Tahoe through the snow per year are standard. I'll probably buy a spare set of wheels and throw winter tires on them.
- Lower in priority, but we definitely want something with Bluetooth (preferably Apple CarPlay) and a backup camera. I assume this stuff is pretty standard nowadays though. I have the mechanical ability to replace the head unit if needed, but would be cool for the factory head unit to not suck rear end from the factory. I realize this is probably a tall loving order. I went through the PITA process of swapping head units in the WRX since the Starlink stuff is loving garbage.
- Lane assist, adaptive cruise control, and blind spot indicators are cool. I'm the only one who will use the former 2, but my wife likes the blind spot indicators.

I do as much of the maintenance myself to save money, which makes me hate Hondas since the few of them I've worked on have stuff in the dumbest locations (oil filters, headlight bulbs that need tiny baby hands to manipulate, etc). Seriously why is it so hard to not put the oil filter in a dumbass spot that dumps oil all over the frame of the car and my garage floor?

Anyway, we're not opposed to another Odyssey since the trunk space is pretty large (from google: 38.4 ft³, 147.4 ft³ with seat area) compared to Suburbans (39.3 ft³, 121.7 ft³ with seat area), especially if we don't bring the whole gang somewhere and can flip the 3rd row down. The only thing that sucks is the kids who sit in the 3rd row have to either climb over the cargo in the trunk, or climb over the second row of seats (2 buckets with baby seats, plus the middle seat where an older kid usually has to sit). I loving hate minivans, but I do love the side-sliding doors and not having to worry about kids banging car doors against someone's Tesla.

Yukons seem hilariously overpriced and Suburbans more reasonable.
We're open to all suggestions, including a tank or an old H1 with mounted 50 cal. Or a clown car.

Now that I'm typing this up, maybe it's worth considering just getting something a bit smaller, and just taking 2 cars to places?

If you can find one that isn't a former rental, a 2018 Chrysler Pacifica can be had for $25-30K. A 2018 will have CarPlay, and first-year production bugs worked out. Chrysler has also announced an AWD Pacifica for the 2021MY if you're willing to wait, and that could sneak into the top end of your budget.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Cascadia Pirate posted:

I have a friend looking at lightly used Konas. Are there any other models he should shop them against? I feel like Crosstreks are probably going to be more expensive but I will have him look at those. Is Nissan Rouge a good choice as well? CX-3?

While the Kona and the Crosstrek are the two mainstream subcompact SUVs I don't hate, you should redirect your friend into a compact SUV. Subcompact SUVs by and large are penalty boxes. They're genuinely slow, cramped, stiff-riding, and the fuel economy is only marginally better than a compact SUV.

Your friend should look at Mazda CX-5s and Ford Escapes as first and second choices respectively. A regular hatchback like a Mazda 3 would also be better than a subcompact SUV.

Nitrox posted:

To piggyback on that question, how are the Nissan small SUVs in general? I remember the older rouges having transmission issues, did that ever improve?

CR's data doesn't instill confidence that the Nissan CVT will last beyond the powertrain warranty period. Even then, the product is still mediocre.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Good list. Since you have sedans on the list, I'll focus on those as you'll get more for your money in a sedan than an SUV. Spend the money that you're saving there on a set of winter tires for your car.

You can definitely get a new Accord or Mazda6 with the big motor into your budget if you can live with cloth seats. It may be possible to squeeze the leather trims into your budget. The Accord's styling would be worth dealing with for the big trunk and ample rear legroom for today's Nimitz-class child seats. The new Hyundai Sonata will satisfy your tech wants, but you may find the performance lacking since Hyundai hasn't released the big motor Sonata yet.

If you have to have an SUV, the latest CR-Vs are worth a look. I will throw in the V8 Dodge Charger and Cadillac CTS V-Sport as wildcards. Why settle for a 4-cylinder Korean Dodge Charger when you can have the real thing? The CTS V-Sport is a better sports sedan than the contemporary BMW 5-Series, but the trunk and backseat may be too tight for you, and you will have to spend at least an extra grand to update CUE to be CarPlay-compatible.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

DreadCthulhu posted:

This is an idiotic question, I'm sorry. What's a model that's low maintenance (isn't known for dragging you to the shop regularly), is under $25-30k new, has Car Play, is reasonably sized so that you can park it in the city, and doesn't scream suburban dad? I was thinking either an Accord or a CX-3, maybe a Kona?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Duck Rodgers posted:

The job is working for a union, hence the union made requirement. From what I understand, Mexican made cars are hit and miss as some of the unions are essentially management run. So would depend on the union in Mexico.

I will add the Ford Escape and look into Mazda. The Mazda 3 would definitely add to the list, assuming the union in Mexico is considered okay.

Generally we are leaning towards a car. We added crossovers because the list was already narrowed with the union requirement. So what would be the best car on the list?

If I had to Buy American, and a pickup truck or a sports car did not fit into my life, I would buy a new Ford Escape Hybrid.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Duck Rodgers posted:

We don't have to buy American, we have to buy union. We would prefer to get a car.

What are people's thoughts on the Ioniq, Elantra GT and Mazda 3? The Subaru WRX is also made in Japan for sale in North America, but I don't see us driving that.

As there are significant professional and personal incentives for your partner to buy Union Made, a UAW or UNIFOR-built vehicle is the path of least resistance. Ford, FCA, and GM don't do small cars in the U.S. anymore, so your next best choice is a compact SUV like the Ford Escape built by UAW Local 862. A new Escape Hybrid delivers 41 MPG combined, and is riding on Ford's newest global car platform that the global Focus is also based on. While I haven't driven a new Escape yet, the last-gen Escape drove nicely and did not drive like a truck if that's what you wanna avoid. You also get the cargo versatility of a hatchback which is something you'd like based on your ideas so far.

VW Puebla looks to be union so you could buy a Golf?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

midge posted:

Proposed Budget: $10,000 CAD
New or Used: Used
Body Style: 2 Door
How will you be using the car? Weekend fun/project car
What aspects are most important to you? Fun factor, convertible preferable, reasonable cost of replacement parts that are easily accessible. I prefer Japanese and German cars
I'm in Ontario, Canada

Repost below from the wrong thread!

I've got about $10,000k CAD burning a hole in my pocket, and I want a summer convertible toy to gently caress around with. I've short listed Audi TT (2001-2008), Nissan 350Z (2003-2004) and (of course) a Miata (NA/NB). I happy to hear of alternatives too.

All of them can be obtained for anywhere between 6k-10k near me in various levels of condition. I'm not really interested in North American marquees. I know Miata parts are pretty much everywhere, but I'm not sure how problematic the TT and 350Z will be if something serious breaks. Does anyone have experience on how the ownership on these 3 stacks up?

NC1 Miatas should also be in that price range if you're interested and willing to mod. A 2.5 Duratec from a wrecked Fusion bolts right up to the NC for more mid-range torque, and the NC1's wonky 4x4 suspension can be fixed easily these days.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

midge posted:

Why the hell you gotta make me start upping the budget? How much of a difference is the ND vs the NB?

You can buy 2 nice NBs for the price of a 2016 ND. Daily-driven NDs can be had for closer to $15K USD, with most 2016-17 cars landing in the $15-20K range.

I have also noticed how cheap ND1s are while looking at NC2s. Right now I am still leaning NC2, because it's about a $5K jump from an NC2 to an ND1. This is money that could be spent on the following: consumables, track time, driver instruction, or a fully sick sim rig. Also my brain does not like the idea of my second car being better in every way than my daily driver, which I intend to keep if I go Miata.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

gamer roomie is 41 posted:

Ooh so many replies already thanks everyone

That looks really nice and I would feel cool driving it, but I do worry about reliability and costs in case something does go wrong.

My work in new york is going remote indefinitely so all of the parking will be at home where I'll work. If I do get a new job during the lifespan of this vehicle, I would probably commute by train. I think we will end up in West Medford, East Arlington, West Cambridge, somewhere like that - not exactly snowy exurban wilderness, but suburban enough where the snow will have a chance to accumulate on the streets. As for a garage, we might end up with one but I'm not going to plan for it. I don't really like those new developments that include them, I think we'll end up in an older building with those little skinny driveways.

I'm already frustrated with the storage in my sedan (2016 corolla), and that's just with the two of us. The idea of loading up a stroller and diaper bag and a car seat and all that poo poo in a car... yikes. Plus, if you can't tell I am very paranoid about driving and feel like the higher seat and bulk of an SUV is better for my wants (even if it's a somewhat of a placebo).

I've never had winter tires but I'll put that at the top of the list and factor a nice set into total cost, thanks for the reminder.

I see a ton of these around, especially the CRV - I will check them out. For some reason I like the idea of a minivan too, I just think they're cool!

The problem I have with modern minivans is that they are massive vehicles. A Chrysler Pacifica is as long and wide as a Chevy Tahoe, which would make me antsy to park in suburban Florida, let alone the Boston metro area. They are excellent at the job they are optimized for: carrying 6+ people and their gear. But it might be too much car for you if you don't fall into that use case.

No one here has mentioned a 2017 to present CX-5 so I will do so now. The CX-5 is just as reliable as a Honda or Toyota, and you will get a nicer CX-5 for the same price because Mazda's reputation among the public isn't as strong as Honda or Toyota's. The CX-5 is also nicer on the inside and nicer to drive than either the Honda or Toyota. The one drawback is that the packaging isn't as efficient as the Honda or Toyota so take your kid stuff with you to make sure everything fits as you'd like it.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Magnetic North posted:

That seems reasonable to me.

I'm driving a 2002 Jetta. I don't really like or dislike much about it that is likely not specific to this car (no AC, no CC, slightly goopy steering, weird pop when the gears shift when decelerating/breaking). I don't drive for pleasure and I don't care too much what it looks like as long as it's not a complete eyesore.

At the same point, my favorite cars I have owned were each a 92 Camry. I would still be driving a 92 Camry if not for the recall. It's practical, fuel efficient, a fairly nice size for the backseat and trunk. Are modern Camrys still good?

Thinking about the way I will use this car once *gestures at everything* ends, I guess I'll need a 4 seater because I will commonly have 2 passengers. I guess 4 door would be best. My old Regal had the 2 door thing and that gets old.

Beyond that, compact, midsize and all that doesn't mean anything to me. Looking it up now, it sounds like it's an EPA thing? Some of these websites sound like their trying to sell me on compacts, but I guess it's not the days of the Yugo anymore. I'll probably have to sit in something to try it. It's not tall nor am I regularly hauling stuff like kids or athletic equipment so maybe I could get away with a compact car. Are they actually cheaper? Or is fuel efficiency the main benefit? I don't care about the physical size, as I'm not going to aggressively fight for a close spot anywhere.

The EPA's definition of car sizes, which is based off of interior volume, should be irrelevant to you, a normal person. For example, the Bentley Continental, a big 2-door luxury car with a V12 that weighs more than a Ford F-150, is defined as a subcompact car by the EPA. Meanwhile a Honda Civic, a compact car by any normal person's definition, is considered a large car by the EPA. A compact car in the U.S. is a car like a Honda Civic, or a Toyota Corolla. A midsized car in the U.S. is a car as big as a Toyota Camry, or a Honda Accord. A compact car is usually cheaper, better handling, and more fuel-efficient than a midsized car. A midsized car can offer more space, more luxury, and a better ride instead.

You sound like a great candidate for the nicest Toyota Prius you can afford. The Prius will allow you to not think about cars for a long time, so you can focus onto things you care about. If the way the Prius drives is too weird for you, a Civic, Corolla, or a Mazda 3 would be a good choice.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

CubicalSucrose posted:

Proposed Budget: Under 50k I guess? Less is better.
New or Used: Either.
Expected Usage: Daily commute, mostly highway, ~20-25k miles / year. Not a large person, 95% of the time it's 1 person in the car, sometimes 2, almost never more.
Currently Driving: '03 Mercury Grand Marquis w/~175k miles on it. My fourth summer without air conditioning. Other than fuel costs and the A/C, it's fine.
Important Aspects: Low total cost of ownership over the next ~7 years (or more) while being "reasonably comfortable" as I spend 2.5 hours / day in the thing. In the Midwest where snow is a thing. Backup camera is a strong want-to-have and a bunch of modern-day safety features seem like good things but I don't know enough about them.
Timeframe: Probably before next summer, maybe sooner, maybe later.

From reading the past 20 pages of the thread, sounds like I'll probably want a Mazda3, Prius, or maybe Corolla? Any particular model years or trim levels that stand out?

What's really your budget? Unless you just finished up an advanced degree, or are a high earner who is generally oblivious to things outside of their work and their family, it is hard to imagine how you're going from a Grand Marquis with no air conditioning to being able to spend $50K on a car.

For 25K highway miles a year, you're gonna want something large with a long wheelbase for a better highway ride, and something quiet. This means the compact cars recommended here (Mazda 3, Prius) won't work for you.

If you can find a Cadillac CT6 with Super Cruise, you should get that. Super Cruise is Cadillac's answer to Tesla's Autopilot. It only works on highways, performs about as well as Autopilot while having safeguards in place to make sure you don't watch Harry Potter when driving. If a CT6 has Super Cruise, it will have a display in the steering wheel like this example:

As CT6s with Super Cruise can be hard to find, my next suggestion is the nicest Lexus LS460 you can buy. The LS460 will be like your Grand Marquis, but actually good, and extremely reliable. LS460s in great condition can be had for under $30K now, and the early LS460s can be had for $10-$15K.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

KaiserKarl posted:

I'm looking at buying a 2019 or 2020 Ram 1500. Mostly for camping, hauling a small boat, small home improvement projects, and skiing if that opens up in the winter. Only leased Audi sedans previously, so first time buyer and first time truck owner. I'm open to new or a year or two old with low milage if I can find a good one. I'm tempted by a new V8 Laramie level II package for the nice interior, etc ($55kish).. but also tempted to go entry level Laramie used ($40kish) so I can pay it off quick and get a summer/commuter car in a couple years.

Any options must have? Diesel or Gas? Things to be aware of/stay away from?

The Ram 1500 is the best American luxury vehicle you can buy, but unfortunately it is built by Fiat Chrysler. Fiat Chrysler cannot figure out how to reliably build a vehicle until it's 6-7 years into production. The Ram 1500 has had major teething issues, which FCA has acknowledged themselves in investor calls. For more evidence, go look at the Edmunds owner reviews for the new Ram. Even Edmunds's own long-term Ram has had a visor fall off. Reliability will still matter even if your vehicle's under warranty, because it means you get to drive a base Dodge Charger while your luxo-truck is in the shop again. If your heart is set on a Ram, lease it.

Avoid the diesel. While the 3.0 V6 diesel is mostly redesigned according to VM Motori, I wouldn't touch it for a few years based on the track record of the last-gen EcoDiesel. The last-gen EcoDiesel was exactly as unreliable as you would expect an Italian diesel that was meant to go into a Cadillac passenger car would be. Also FCA had to do some emissions cheating to get it past US regulators, and owners have sworn that the update to make it emissions-complaint ruined their trucks.

The Silverado and Sierra have the best powertrains, but you will hate the interior coming from a long line of Audis. The F-150 has better materials quality though it's still very Ford instead of Lincoln.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

KaiserKarl posted:

Thank you, very helpful. The Ram was the only truck that seemed to offer a first rate luxury car ride with solid 4x4 truck functionality. I don't really want to daily drive a truck, but also don't want to try and dirt road/heavy snow push a german sedan.

If the Ram is going to be a nightmare, I'm tempted to reconsider. Maybe buy a used Tacoma with ~20k miles @ $30k, and lease something more fun for the 250 days a year when I'm not hitting a forest roads or testing the pass. The latter seems like more bang for +/- $1k/month in car budget if reliability is going to suck, and the Ram is going to depreciate like a rock.

You sound like you'd be a lot happier with an SUV than a truck. Your requirements sound like 4x4 first, with respectable towing ability second, and a cargo bed a distant third. The inconvenience of storing or renting a utility trailer for getting oversized items from the home improvement store is outweighed by you not liking pickup trucks in general. You can always attach a box to your roof or hitch for more cargo capacity when camping. Finally, you'll get more for your money with a used SUV compared to a used pickup truck.

A Lexus GX might be right up your alley. GXs are Land Cruiser Prados with leather and a V8 for the North American market. A GX usually has a better ownership history, and is in better condition than the equivalent 4Runner. The big downside is the fuel costs, but this sounds like it won't matter to you since it'll be a second vehicle. You can also look at a Jeep Grand Cherokee, which FCA has figured out to build in recent years (now in year 10 of production!) The wildcard is a Porsche Cayenne, or VW Touareg as you're already used to the Volkswagen Group ownership experience.

Basticle posted:

I'm looking at compact (as opposed to subcompact) hatchbacks or smaller crossovers (since there are only so many hatchback options). AWD is much preferred though not 100% dealbreaker

New or used, budget is roughly $20k-$25k (side note: I see a ton of manufacturers have crazy low interest rates right now but I'm guessing you're actually paying a lot more that way?)

[...]

If I was listening to my lizard brain I'd just get the Mazda 3 and not even look at other options but I'm trying to be smart about this.

Any thoughts?

The catch with the special finance deals is usually you can take the finance deal, or the incentives, but not both. For example, Kia is offering 0% APR financing for 72 months on all new 2020 Stingers right now. Kia is also offering $5000 worth of incentives, split up into $3500 retail cash and $1500 trade assist if I were to trade something in. If I were to take the 0% for 72 months financing, Kia would still give me the $1500 trade assist, but I would lose out on the $3500 incentive.

I have done some math for you regarding the real fuel costs. It is up to you to decide whether it's worth it. I think the 3 and the Civic Hatch are a cut above everything else you've listed, but the Civic Hatch is just too ugly, so 3 it would be for me.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

OK this is for my dad.

Proposed Budget: ~$26k
New or Used: used
Body Style: 2 or 4 doors, coupe or sedan.
How will you be using the car?: Just to drive across town to work, and then to go bike riding on the weekends.
What aspects are most important to you? In a perfect world: AWD, manual, good handling, good stereo, quiet interior. He knows AWD and manual aren't a common combination anymore, so he's willing to give up the manual. AWD is an absolute requirement though.

After years of owning Audis he wants something that's reliable and cheap to fix. So probably Japanese or Korean.

I've been trying to tempt him with a low mileage 328 e92, but he's too afraid it'll break constantly and in expensive ways. That hasn't been my experience, but I also don't want to be the guy who got him into that situation if it does happen.

2014+ Lexus IS350 F-Sport. If the IS doesn't have enough room for cargo or passengers, then move up to the GS.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

So the beamer is a bad idea rite?

Go for it if he's willing to accept the risk of unexpected four-figure repair bills in exchange for driving a car that is much closer to the bottom of its depreciation curve than say, a 3-5 year old Lexus.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

JimboMaloi posted:

My wife’s 06 Civic (bought new) looks like it may have reached the point that it’s not worth repairing, so doing preliminary research in case we need to replace it.

Proposed Budget: under 25k
New or Used: flexible
Body Style: hatch > compact sedan > anything else
How will you be using the car?: exclusively errands for the day to day, but expecting a cross country move within 2 years
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability and cost primarily, something that’s a little fun would make me happy but wife doesn’t care

Civic and Corolla seem the obvious contenders, but I’ve never bought a car before so feel the need to vet my ideas.

Civic Hatch. The Corolla and Mazda 3 hatchbacks don't have the rear seat and cargo room that the Civic does, and the Golf's long-term maintenance and repair costs won't be to your liking.

TheWevel posted:

How's the reliability on the XC90s? Something about a super and turbocharged engine doesn't sit right with me.

Let me put it this way: I have more trust in Fiat Chrysler than any of the modern SPA Volvos.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

JimboMaloi posted:

Both, closer to 200mi/mo, don’t care about HOV, and yeah manual not in the cards for now.

Civic Hatchback, as mentioned above, seems a strong contender.

The BFC part of me would get an e-bike if I were only driving 200 miles a month, and rent a car for longer trips, because cars are expensive. Buy a car whenever you move instead of buying the car in anticipation of the move.

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Wife is finally on board with ditching the Grand Caravan and replacing it with something that isn't loving awful to drive in every conceivable way. Yay!

Proposed Budget: Would like to keep it under $40k
New or Used: Slightly used.
Body Style: An SUV that seats 6 comfortably. I have 4 kids and they're all loving giants.
How will you be using the car? It will mostly be my commuter (~40 miles each way), but needs to be able to fit the whole family comfortably as well. Vacations, trips to in-laws, etc... If I could put a tow rig on it, that would be swell as well.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, comfort (roominess, I'm also a giant), mpg and a little luxuries are what matter.

My current commuter is a RAV4 Sport with 150k miles on it that I bought at 28k miles and it's been fantastic. I plan to keep that and let the wife use that.

The Dodge had an oil pump fail literally on day 2, an insane feature where you push down on the gas pedal and the car actually decelerates before accelerating, and an incredibly irritating vibration at highway speeds that 4 different auto technicians could not solve. gently caress that car, and gently caress Dodge.

I keep reading good things about the Kia Telluride, and I'm slowly working my wife around to the idea of buying a KIA.

How important is towing to you, and what would you be towing? If you will be regularly towing near or above the Telluride's 5000 lb tow capacity, I would go with a Chevy Suburban or a Ford Expedition Max. Nothing else combines room for 6 and towing capacity like those two vehicles. You'll pay for it everywhere else: a Telluride gets 22 MPG or 37.5% better fuel economy vs the 16 a Suburban gets in combined real-world driving per Fuelly.

Kia has made solid vehicles for over a decade now, and the Telluride is a great vehicle if you can brave your local Kia dealer. Never pay above MSRP. Bring your large adult sons with you to make sure the third row is good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Hertz is dumping a bunch of 2019 Mustang GT Premium convertibles with 20-30K miles for around $32K near me. As all these Mustangs have the digital cluster, I can infer that Hertz also spec'd the 401A package, meaning these cars cost $50K new. Carvana has also offered me nearly $10K for my 6 year old Kia Optima. Would I lose my license to post in this thread if I took Carvana's money and put it towards one of those Mustangs?