Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
So how about the financials of buying/owning a cheap-rear end car?

I'll probably be in the market around October, but being a student with limited income, I'm not willing to take on loan payments nor will I have much to spend ($2000 max). I made this work pretty well last year. Bought a 1987 Mazda B2200 from a tow/repo yard, paid $900 total for purchase, minor repairs, and registration. Drove it until November and resold it for $1400.

In my financial situation, is that the best (or at least a not-terrible) way to go about things? FYI I didn't go to some random yard. My grandpa works at said yard, so he's able to help sort the less awful crap from the total crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
I wasn't sure if I should put this here or make an ask/tell thread, but I figure I can always start a thread later if needed.

I'm wondering about being carless and using services like Zipcar. My prospective college has two Zipcars on campus so I was reading up on the program. There's a $25 application fee and a $50 annual membership. Rates vary a little but it looks like they start at $8.75/hr or $63 per day. This includes insurance and gas.

The city is also supposed to be very walkable/bike friendly, but there are a lot of hills, a lot of rain, and I have a gimpy knee. However the bus service is free to students and also supposed to be very good.

The alternative is buying a beater (under $3000) and paying to insure it, paying for gas, and a $300 parking pass for the college. The last time I insured something old and cheap it was under $80 a month, and with minimal driving I might end up spending about $20/week for gas.

I think if I own a car I'm going to end up relying on it a lot more, which is kind of a mixed feeling. On the one hand using public alternatives and walking should be better for me and the environment. On the other hand it might limit where I can go and when, and I don't like not having that freedom. I also worry about the rare occasion I might have some sort of emergency in the middle of the night-like if something happens to my dog and I need to get him to the emergency vet at two in the morning.

So I'm conflicted. Should I hoof this over to A/T instead?

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008

quote:

It would be nice to know what city you're talking about.

Oh, right. :downs: Arcata, Ca.

MN-Ghost posted:

Are you living on campus or do you have a substantial commute to get to your classes? How much do you plan on driving? Do/will you have a roommate with a car that might let you borrow it or give you a ride occasionally?

so what are the reasons you would need a car (honest question)?

I'll be living off campus but hopefully without a substantial commute. If I'm going carless I'll be making living in Arcata a priority. If I had my own car I'd feel more comfortable living in one of the other nearby towns (McKinleyville, Eureka, etc). Honestly I'm not sure how much I plan on driving since I haven't spent a good amount of time being carless before. I did it here in Fresno for one summer and it worked out okay, but I was still borrowing a car once a week or so. It's also worth noting the bus system here in Fresno is poo poo, though. As of right now I drive everywhere.

Chances are I'll be moving with my girlfriend, who is also carless. Right now I don't know anyone in the area so flat out borrowing a car might be hard.

Reasons I would need a car I tried to outline before: Gimpy leg might make walking or biking hard, I won't have anyone to call on should I need to borrow one-and I'll be about 8 hours away from other friends and family. I do like the freedom of being able to leave town whenever I want. And I worry that if I need to take the pets somewhere I'll have trouble with that.

Mostly the culture here in Fresno and the lack of good public transportation makes a car almost a necessity. The thought of doing it any other way kinda freaks me out, but I can see how practical it would be.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
I'm back, mostly because my grandma can no longer drive and she's offered me her car. I am unsure if I want to take it.

Proposed Budget: $3000-$5000
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Sedan, but prefer hatchback, wagon, small truck/SUV/crossover thingie.
How will you be using the car?: Short weekend trips, longer trips (800+ miles round trip) 2-3 times per year, possible short-distance commuting a few times per week.
What aspects are most important to you?: Low cost of ownership/repairs, functionality.

The Car In Question: 2001 Ford Taurus (unsure of trim). 43,XXX miles. She is the first and only owner. It's been in a few fender-benders (usually her running into stationary objects), and it runs well. Maintenance has been neglected in the past, mostly because she doesn't drive it much and she doesn't understand that, yes, you do still need to get the tires rotated and the oil changed and all that. It's a fine car and it looks excellent inside and out, but it's not my style and it's not as functional for what I'd like. When I think of moving, carting dogs around, and beach trips, "Ford Taurus" is not the first, fifth, or fifteenth car on my mind, but it's big and comfortable and would work fine.

My Other Option: See if grandma is okay with me selling the car and buying something a bit more in line with what I want. KBB and Craigslist make me think I could ask between $3000-$5000 for it. Does that seem right? It is reasonable to expect I could find a decent hatch, wagon, or small truck/SUV in that price range?

My Needs: I am leaving for school in a few weeks. I plan to walk/use public transit most of the time, but would like a car for weekend trips and visits home. I will also be looking for work and may have school obligations off campus, and while the bus goes where I need it, the schedule doesn't always work out. This would be an occasional driver, and I'm anticipating putting under 5000 miles on it in the next year. I have considered the on-campus Zipcars, but there are only two and the limited availability worries me. Rental cars are also an option, but from what I've put together the cost of renting as often as I'd like and the cost of ownership on a car that's being given to me level out, assuming there are no major repairs. If there are, the car can sit until I can afford them or be sold off and I can return to public transit only.

I should note this is Northern California: hilly, rainy, and on the ocean.

So should I take the free car and keep it? Should I take it and sell it? Should I never again touch an early 2000's Ford and pray nothing happens to me?

RabbitMage fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 16, 2013

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
Well, this car did go from California to Kansas and back. Twice.

I can see if I can check the service records (I am certain she has them) and see about having a mechanic take a peek at it to see what kind of shape it's in.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
Well, the Taurus is sitting in my driveway now. True to form, grandma handed it over with a taped-on side mirror and a copious amount of white paint (from someone else's car) to remove from the front bumper.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
Still enjoying my Taurus (to the extent one can enjoy a Taurus), but my roommate is now in the market for his first car.

Proposed Budget: $5000 and under
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Hatchback or wagon
How will you be using the car?: Occasional driving, weekend trips around the area with friends, and occasional trips back home (from hilly northern CA to Los Angeles area).
What aspects are most important to you? MPG, cost of maintenance.

He asked my opinion on early 2000s Golfs, and I told him I thought the cost of repairs/maintenance might be a little harsh (and I could be wrong). What direction should I steer him in?

It also occurs to me that due to living in a remote area with a low population, or local used market is kind of fucky. Would it be smarter for him to wait until a trip home to LA to find something?

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
A specific question:

A classmate of mine is thinking of selling her Prius. It's a 2005 but has 196,000 miles on it (she frequently drives between Northern California, Southern California, and Utah). She said it's developed a problem with the instrument panel not lighting up, which after a little Googling sounds like a common problem with the combination meter?

I really want a more versatile car with better gas mileage than the one I have now (which is a 2001 Taurus, only 61,000 miles) but don't have a huge budget--basically what I'd get for the Taurus. If it only lasts 3-5 more years that's fine, I'll hopefully be well-settled into a 'real' job by then and ready for an upgrade.

She offered it to me for $2000. Best idea? Worst idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008

VideoTapir posted:

There is also the fact that if you replaced it you would no longer be driving a Taurus.

I've dropped about $1000 on my Taurus in the last month. Can't emphasize this desire enough. Thinking of upgrading to a sweet mini van, though.