Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
Proposed Budget:Under 4k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: 4 door, smallish hatchback
How will you be using the car?: Short commutes
What aspects are most important to you? Not being a nightmarish money-pit.

I have a 2001 Prius that has all but died on me and the $3500 I was quoted to fix it seems far better spent on something without 200k miles on it. Ideally I'd like something to last for a fair bit without too much fuss, but my lovely job and tiny saving don't give me much to work with; my budget already assumes I don't do anything silly like eat for the next three months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

nm posted:

A slightly newer Prius. The next generation was a quantum leap in both quality and being a good car.

Edit: Dunno fi you can get one for $4k. WTF is wrong with the old prius that costs $3500? Nothing except maybe the transmission should cost that much.

I know dick all about cars so here are a series of potentially unimportant facts:

-It was totaled once already by a heroin addict that stole it; a family member subsequently "had it worked on" before selling it to me
-In the past few months the mileage dipped from a consistent ~39 to a consistent ~30.
-The check engine light spat out a code that made the two mechanics I took it to say "you need a new engine harness," though a couple people have suggested that "engine harness" is slang for "poo poo's hosed, but I don't feel like figuring out what specifically." This is relevant because thanks to CA smog laws, I can't get this bitch reregistered until it gets sorted out.
-It consistently has trouble starting, though it always does in the end.

E: this probably belongs in AI....

Russian Remoulade fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Nov 20, 2016

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
Are there certain years I should be avoiding in a used Mazda3?