Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

To go back to the Thhroatwarbler metaphor to describe the tension in this thread:

"I want to know more about buying a good steak dinner from a restaurant."

"Well, other options such as buying from the store and cooking it yourself, or getting a burger off the dollar menu, are better choices because they ultimately cost less."

"But, I LIKE going to a restaurant for steak!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Daeus posted:

And you also apparently missed the point that the majority of my post was comparing buying new vs lease, or as you put it, comparing steak to steak. I'll go back and edit that out if it distracts you too much from the main point.

Dude...I'm on your side :cry:

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Am I missing something or is the main issue that people are trying to justify why leasing a car repeatedly costs more over a person's lifetime than if they bought a car outright? I wasn't even aware that this was a debatable thing. If you want to lease because it's a simpler thing to do, go ahead, but there's no need to make it sound like it's a financial decision other than how you like to rent nice things over and over again. Hell, Rent-A-Center can do it for furniture and TVs, too!

The situation where leasing beats buying every time is a known situation where you need a car for the length of the lease and you will not need a car after that. Anything else and you're playing mental gymnastics.