Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Proposed Budget: $30-35k, 10k down.
New or Used: New, preferably.
Body Style: Coupe or Sedan is fine.
How will you be using the car?: Daily commute, about 15-20m one-way, some fun driving (as much as can be had in the Midwest, at least).
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, fun to drive, at least somewhat practical?

Have a 1996 Toyota Camry that's still going strong, so this isn't an immediate need; thus, 2014 models are also options if there's anything particularly snazzy coming out soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Not quite a looking for question, but thoughts on a 2011 BMW 328i for listed for $27k and trying to get it for $26k out the door?

EDIT: CPO, 22k miles.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 14, 2013

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Proposed Budget: Maximum $40k, ideally ~30-35k OTD.
New or Used: Either is fine, new slightly preferable.
Body Style: (e.g. 2 door? 4 door? Compact/Midsize/Fullsize Sedan? Truck? SUV?) Prefer 2/4 door compact/midsize.
How will you be using the car?: I live by myself, and my commute is ~5-10 minutes depending on traffic. That said, I might take the occasional few hour trip to my hometown/Chicago/Milwaukee.
What aspects are most important to you? Fun to drive, reliability, RWD, okay in winter with snow tires, prefer manual.
Been mostly trying to decide between FR-S/BRZ, 370Z (why the gently caress is every 370Z around here red or black?), and a used C6 Corvette (although every one around here is an automatic, ugh). Any other suggestions appreciated. 0% financing on new 370Zs is pretty tempting though.

Comedy option: Carmax has a 2008 M3 with 26k miles for $37k.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Yeah, that was my main gripe with the M3 from Carmax, since TMV for the year/model is somewhere around ~30k. EDIT although NADA is generally a bit high, they list it at 37K, so maybe the Edmunds TMV is a bit low.

Is it worth going for the 2008+ C6s over the prior years of that version? I guess if they have rusting issues that's a no-go though.

The main reason I'm hesitant on the 335i, 135i is because of the HPFP/turbo/DI walnut blasting stuff, but then again buying an M3 has the associated M-tax, so maybe I'll reconsider.

The Genesis Coupe looked okay, but I've heard nothing but bad things about the manual.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 21, 2014

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

nm posted:

Yeah, I've heard very little good about them dynamically as well.

Oh, also, I'd seriously consider a Mustang. They're actually really good these days. I also think the Challenger is a fun car if you're into fast rolling sofas.

I should have wrote I considered the Mustang/Challenger/Camaro, but they just don't fit my aesthetic taste.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
The Camaro is the most appealing to me out of the American muscle cars, but I would actually like to be able to see out of my car :colbert:.

M3 gutless in the sense you really need to rev it? I did notice the torque is pretty low for V8, at least compared to other cars from more recent years (obvious examples would be Mustang GT, Camaro SS).

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Keyser S0ze posted:

The E9x M3 is much more happy being driving like a dick, which is what she was obviously designed for, but not the most ideal dd.

Don't rule out a 2011 BMW 335, the engine and all the luxury stuff is much less buggy than the earlier E90's and the cars are sub 5 second 0-60 beasts - but still perfectly reasonable for commuting and can get 30 mpg when cruising. Don't even get hung up on the MT for it either, the flappy paddle 6 speed sport auto is great and not as big of a compromise like it was on older cars.

Camaro chat: The trunk is brutally small in those things and no matter how much I still like the historical Camaros over the Mustangs - I'd go for a modern Mustang.

I think the main reason I wanted to avoid the 335i is because of the issues with the HPFP, and the fact it has more gizmos/complicated stuff (like the turbo engine, DI walnut blasting) to take care of. Looking at Edmunds TCO:

2011 335i:

2008 M3

Although that may not be entirely accurate, as I don't know why the M3 has no maintenance costs in years 4 and 5 (yeah right). On the other hand, I don't plan on driving anywhere close to 15k miles a year per Edmunds TCO, which helps offset some of the fuel costs.

On the other hand, it'll probably be like 7-8K cheaper to buy a 2011 335i.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 23, 2014

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Proposed Budget: $60K OTD
New or Used: Used
Body Style: 2 door preferable, since I'd like something relatively small but I'm not dead-set on it.
How will you be using the car?: Commuting/errands/fun; commute (~30m round trip) should be dropping to just two days a week soon so not much mileage; mostly looking for something fun to drive.
What aspects are most important to you? Gotta buy something sporty I guess? Currently I drive a 2014 BRZ with about 14k on the clock that's pretty much paid off, so it's definitely not a good financial decision or anything. Thought about mostly a 981 Cayman S or maybe a Corvette; mostly curious if anybody here cross-shopped and drove these cars (or similar cars) and what they thought. Definitely prefer stick.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 28, 2018

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It sounds like you're leaning towards the impractical side of things - you could also look at stuff like the M4/used 1-series M in that price range which would be more "practical." If you want to get even less practical, at that price range I am unduly fascinated by the Alfa-Romeo 4C but I am a notable Italian car apologist.

Think the 4C is a bit too impractical even for me; also not a fan of the stripper car interior? It's acceptable on the BRZ since that's a $25-30k car but on a $50-60k car I'm not sold. Maybe I just need to test-drive one though I guess.

I did ride in a friend's M4 before; did seem kind of big for my tastes though, would probably swing for either an M2 or M240i in that case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I didn't find the 4C interior that bad but if you're not beating on it hard it's got its flaws. Like the complete absence of any rear visibility.

On the other hand, you aren't that Porsche-driving dickhead

F-Type S V6 is a solid choice. I got to drive one once, it was good, but the car is a bit heavy. More of a GT than a true Sports Car.

edit: I think Lotus is still selling the Evora but it looks like it costs a bit more money now. Used?

I wouldn't be opposed to an Evora, think my only concern with that is probably repairs; there's Porsche/Jaguar/etc. dealers and mechanics everywhere but Lotus is pretty rare.

There's a pretty attractive Lotus Evora S in my area though, can't say I'm not tempted; how's reliability? Looks like they have a Toyota engine, so that's probably okay at least.

Guess I'll just need to bucket a weekend or two to try things out.