Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Okay goons, I have a pretty good idea of what I'm looking for here but I want to ask anyway, because AI collectively knows more about cars than I do.

I work for a newspaper as a district sales manager, and that means that I have to run a route occasionally for whatever reason. I have a lot of dirt roads in my district and I am tiring of taking my lowered E30 out there and tearing it up.

I'm looking for something getting at least 20mpg, good ground clearance, excellent reliability, and preferably manual, with flat stack rear seats for cargo space and newspaper stacking. It also needs to be able to just sit for awhile if I don't have to run any down routes.

I've been looking at the 4.0L I6 Jeep Cherokees as a starting point because I hear those motors are legendary for their durability, and the postal service uses them for their rural carriers. Anything I should watch out for? Any other vehicles I should take into consideration? I'm looking to spend ~$5k, but if that's not going to cut it I'll have to spend more, because in the long run replacing the control arms, undercoat, and oil pans on the E30 every 6 months is going to cost more than another 2-3 thousand on a dedicated delivery vehicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU