Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Arzakon posted:

The problem with purchasing brand new is you have to purchase from a dealer and have another $2-3K in taxes and fees added to your sale price. The only benefit is low new car financing incentives which are typically better than what you can find on used car loans. Unless your state taxes private auto sales you are better off going private party.
In Illinois, at least, you just pay sales tax when you title the car. Where does this whole "no taxes if you buy private party" thing come from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

dreesemonkey posted:

$5700 - 2001, 4cyl, 118k miles, owner claims it's pristine in/out, never driven in snow, garage kept, etc.

$9500 - 2005, 6cyl(?), 5spd, ~80k miles, a few options.

The cheapness if coming out in me and saying that the 2001 is the way to go (less initial investment, claims of well maintained), though I would feel better buying something with less than 80k on it. Opinions on getting the most bang for my buck?
Tip on buying Toyotas that I found out. If you go to the Toyota owners page, you can enter the VIN number of the car, and if it was maintained at a Toyota dealership, you can see the full service records.

I just sold a 2005 camry, and that certainly seems like a really good price. It was a four cylinder with 60k, and we gave my sister (what I thought was) a deal for $9k.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

I think perceived quality difference > actual quality difference, so pay more of a premium than you need to.

How about a mid-decade Mazda 6 or Impreza? Also Japanese.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Someone bought a car from me with a loan. He actually paid the down payment to the bank, who cut a check for the full amount. That is different from when I bought from a dealer with a loan.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

stubblyhead posted:

What does DFC refer to on a vehicle quote, is the the destination charge?
Yeah, destingation feright chartge.

I am not going to bother correcting my spelling, that is freaking amazing right there.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Anything I should know/be concerned about w.r.t. 2018+ lincoln navigators/ford expeditions? We have a minivan already, but it is sadly becoming apparent that it would be nice to have two vehicles that can fit five kids kind of/barely comfortably, and I have a boat to tow.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Hmm, not what I wanted to hear.

The car seat safe second row tilt thing in the 2018+ expedition/navigators was kind of a big driver for me (love the feature in the minivan), and the chevy/GM/cadillac ones (at least the pre-2021 redesign) don't have that feature. You need to take a second row car seat out to access the third row.

Though maybe I can just get an older suburban or escalade ESV and keep the kid in the booster in the second row.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You mean you can't fold the seat forward to access the third row, correct? You can access it through the gap between the second row seats, so if you're mainly concerned about getting a kid back there they will probably relish the opportunity to wriggle around through there.

How many car seats of which types ya got?
There is a feature in some cars where the whole second row seat tilts forward, not the seat back, which allows you to get to the third row with a forward facing car seat in the second row seat. Like https://thecarseatlady.com/wp-conte...t-safe-tilt.jpg or https://agirlsguidetocars.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/IMG_0619-800x600.jpg

I would get a car with a bench in the second row - I need three across in the second, so that's not an option.

Right now, I have three forward facing car seats and two rear facing car seats. One of the three forward facing can be put in a booster though, but I would prefer her in the third row, ideally.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Steely Dad posted:

I've got a 2013 BMW 328i with 93k miles on it. I love it to death and it's been pretty much stone reliable, but I want something that I can use to haul poo poo, take my kids car camping, outdoor activities, etc, and I also want something less expensive to own than an aging BMW. I've got a Miata for when I want to enjoy driving, so I don't give a gently caress about that. I think it's time for a minivan.

Proposed Budget: < $30k USD
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Minivan (but I'm open to considering other options that meet these needs)
How will you be using the car?: Transporting kids and kid-related accessories.
What aspects are most important to you: Reliability, safety, comfort, non-irritating infotainment, and low TCO. I'm pretty sure any minivan will meet my storage needs, but for what it's worth, I'd prioritize storage over passenger capacity. Rear camera is mandatory, but I assume I can install one aftermarket if needed. I also love the HUD in my BMW and it'd be nice to have one in my next kid-hauler. Also I just got my ham radio license and I'd be interested in installing one in the car.

I'm thinking I want a CPO late 4th-gen Honda Odyssey, but I've heard that the infotainment sucks and that the transmissions are unreliable. Should I be looking at other minivans? I've been assuming that Chryslers are unreliable, so I haven't looked at them at all. Is the Kia Sedona worth considering? Looks like I'd save a few grand for a similar-era Sedona. Is a minivan the most practical fit for the goals I'm describing?

I also looked into aftermarket head units for the 4th gen Odyssey, because I'd be fine if I could just run CarPlay on the thing (I assume; I've never actually used CarPlay). I found the GROM VLine VL2, but there's weirdly little talk about it online, and I don't know how well it'd integrate with the existing electronics.

Lastly, is this the right place for me to ask about financing options? Because I found a CPO 2017 Odyssey that looks like a perfect fit at a dealership about ten minutes away, but they're advertising 6+% APRs, and that seems high to me. I've got 800 credit and a good job, so I'm wondering if I could do better elsewhere.
We went from a 4th gen odyssey to current gen pacifica. I like the Pacifica a lot. The stow and go seats are super easy and convenient. Interior felt a little nicer than the Odyseey too. Though again, this wasn't the current gen odyssey.