Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The late model used car market is also wildly out of joint right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

in the modern internet sales manager age it doesn't quite work like that anymore, but you should get very decent prices by just emailing a number of dealers

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If I recall correctly a bunch of the interior and infotainment is now different at minimum.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Buying a cheap used car is pretty climate friendly compared to buying a new car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

There's probably something to be said for the idea that if there are more fuel efficient, hybrid etc cars on the secondary market that it's generally an overall benefit to society, but I wouldn't rationalize purchasing a new vehicle over a used one based on that logic. Cars are durable with finite lifespans so if you buy your new Prius or whatever some goon is gonna buy it in 7 years and drive it in to the ground, so the societal benefit would be the same as if you owned it for the whole duration and drove it in to the ground.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Motronic posted:

I think the real deal here is that people let cars get into maintenance debt to the point where they aren't "worth" fixing. This is often a compounding process, where something is ignored (oil leak, coolant leak) that then causes exceptional damage (rod bearings, overheated motor/head gaskets blown). Keeping things properly maintained can often time keeps them running for drat near ever but ignoring periodic maintenance and deferring repairs makes their "finite" life span much smaller.

Absolutely. Spending a hundred bucks or two on preventative maintenance every year probably saves you several thousand dollars over the course of your car-owning days.

People also ignore things like changes in noises, etc, that indicate small problems developing in to big ones.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

in theory any kind of major accident damage should prevent the car from receiving a manufacturer CPO warranty, or in the case of pads and rotors would be replaced preemptively as part of the preconditioning work for the CPO warranty, but in practice uh you can guess how it works

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Roof mount will open more possibilities than trying to fit the tandem in the passenger compartment, I think. You could roof mount the tandem and hitch mount other bikes, as it's unlikely your wife would ever have to put the tandem up by herself.

I might suggest the Prius V as an option. You might even be able to get the tandem in there by itself.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the niro is small

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

You would be wrong. Leather can be wiped clean. Cloth just gets gross forever. There's a reason shoes are made from leather.

agree that inside a car leather is usually easier to clean with some exceptions, but plenty of shoes are made from cloth, what the hell?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

They are, but as I sit here wearing a pair of canvas Vans, it's clear that there are downsides there. Most shoes are leather.

they make very sophisticated materials that are not canvas now

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

There's a lot of interior packaging stuff (fancy way of saying what goes where) that contribute substantially to how the cabin feels, even for similar vehicles. I think Volkswagen is particularly good at packaging well for interior space - the cabins tend to feel relatively airy and open compared to competitor vehicles, but as posted by others it's not necessarily a reason to buy a VW.

One major difference in modern cars vs the old Sentra Mr Interweb is driving is the greenhouse or total glass. Modern cars have high belt lines (basically where the top of the door ends and the door glass begins) due to side impact safety standards. This means they feel smaller even if the interior is actually bigger.

For a more engaging drive, the Mazda3 is probably best in segment. Civic is totally decent too.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

knox_harrington posted:

Dude should at least try a Golf if "fun to drive" is anywhere on the radar.

we don't really get it in the US anymore and it's relatively expensive. GTI or bust baby.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sure, the VW Golf Sportwagen / Alltrack, which is a wagon, and probably available as closeouts or at least very gently used. However, it's too long for you - you don't actually want a wagon, you want a hatchback. As a result, the Golf exists and is worth considering as well.

The CX-30 is pretty ideal from your list. It doesn't sell as well as the CX-5 because they basically cost the same amount of money, only the CX-5 trades some quality/dynamics for size. Most Americans and Canadians gladly take the size. There's also the Mazda3 hatch.

The X1 sucks poo poo for the amount of money you pay for it. Just dire late-stage BMW garbage.
The Crosstrek is 6" longer than your Focus yet probably not functionally larger in any useful way, since the wheelbase is only different by half an inch. It's also dull.

edit: the GTI also comes in within your price range (at least in QC) post tax at 43k. Do that instead.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 22, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

MJP posted:

I'm curious - how often, either in terms of years or mileage, do people replace their cars (other than returning one lease for a new lease)? Either out of ongoing repair costs, unreliability, or just "I'd like to get something different"?

Averaging about 5 years for the normal car, unknown period of time for the fun car (been three years so far). The normal car turnover is "to get something different/changing life requirements/desires" but as you can see from my dumb bad posting in this thread I should not be considered normal in any way shape or form, and it's absolutely not a good idea to get a new car every five years unless you hate having more money than you otherwise would.

edit: now that I think back on it my car progression over the last three new dailies has been small coupe, compact hatchback, compact wagon so I'm sure either bigger wagon or CUV is next

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If I go that direction where I spend obscene money on a car it'll be a Taycan CrossTurismo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I have this long standing suspicion that people in the industry underestimate exactly how lovely the dealership experience is because they never really have to deal with it. You're either on a guaranteed price plan, or you're on a loaner. You order a car or select from inventory, go in and do the very straightforward paperwork, and you're done. The salespeople don't bullshit you, you don't get hosed around by finance. Then these people get confused as to how companies whose entire business model is "I promise you never have to set foot in a dealership" are so successful, because for them, the dealer experience isn't that bad.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

nm posted:

Even if they know, there's often not much they can do about it. Lots of states have massive protections for dealers that don't give manufacturers much choice. Also, until fairly recently the dealer agreements often gave manufacturers a limited oversight and ability to terminate the agreement. My understanding is the reason Lexus dealers tend to be way better is that its a newer network where Toyota wrote better dealership agreements.

I promise you that while they may "know" on an intellectual level they do not know on a personal, emotional level.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It's a fishing expedition to qualify dealers. Through that lens, it works fine.

edit: keep in mind Guinness hasn't showed up to take delivery and had the possible bait & switch occur so let's not go popping the champagne until he's holding the title

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the preference is really to have some entity that is not you, the manufacturer, carry it on the books.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

skipdogg posted:

I love the car buying process.

you and me both, brother, but like... most people don't. they're never going to see eye to eye with you on this because for most people buying a car is like going to the dentist, only it takes longer and costs more. the model is designed to gently caress those people up, wring every last cent out of them, and piss them off.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

NJ Deac posted:

I'm totally down for this approach, except for the drat information asymmetry. I feel like it's near impossible to determine what that "fair price" is. It seems like at some point in the last decade dealers/manufacturers realized everyone has access to the "invoice price" now and the model shifted to emphasize volume bonuses, manufacturer-dealer cash, and holdbacks such that at least for some manufacturers, you should expect to buy for below invoice, and anyone paying over invoice is actually getting hosed since the dealer is getting thousands in kickbacks and would have let the car go for way less if the buyer hadn't anchored on an arbitrarily pumped up invoice price.

Websites like Edmunds and Truecar give some info, but ultimately they get paid by the dealers so those numbers are only what the dealers want the general public to know. It all makes the process so inherently suspicious such that even when the buyer is fairly confident they're getting a fair deal, there's always the lingering suspicion that I failed to account for some variable somewhere that resulted in me getting screwed on a part of the transaction that maybe I never even considered.

Where do you go for reliable info to determine that initial offer of a "fair" price?

Dealer margins on new cars (up until COVID driven production shortages), including holdback and incentives, were lower than they'd ever been in history so it's not like there's some kind of elaborate scam that is costing the customers money. If anything, that indicates a closing of information asymmetry and a greater ability than ever for the customer to achieve a "fair price." I get that the whole thing feels non transparent but with what other purchase do you get unit margin transparency?

Edmunds suggested price is still pretty good for a fair price.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Supply is pretty constrained these days for a bunch of supplier disruption reasons, not just microchips although that is the biggest and sexiest for the headlines. Prices for both new and used cars are on the rise (new cars due to availability, and used cars due to limited availability of new cars), but "jumps" are probably overstated. I would expect to pay more for a used car in the next six months than the same car right now, which is more than I would have paid for that car six months ago.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

skipdogg is pretty clearly referring to the new car market, where there is lots of good price information. the used car market is more difficult. you should just look at recent results for similar cars in my opinion.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

There's plenty of close-to-accurate data available on new car. None of it's perfect but it's not bad. Edmunds is my go-to, there are certainly flaws but if you're in the ballpark with them you've done perfectly fine for yourself.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the forester is better at every single thing other than a) having a lovely cvt and b) having a little badge that says "crosstrek" on it

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

My mom has a crosstrek and I fail to understand the appeal. Atrocious powertrain, cheap interior, gimmicky styling.

It was relatively small, cheap, and AWD which is why she bought it and I guess why it appeals to people, but most people don't have to drive to the hospital in the winter in Vermont.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

my mom is like 4'10, she basically has to climb up in to the crosstrek

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It should be possible. Call the local mechanic you plan to use and ask them if it's possible for them to pick the car up to do the PPI. You have to pay them, of course, but it's good money to spend.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Generally pretty accurate. It's all publicly available information and the OEMs want you to have it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nitrox posted:

We have multiple people of various height driving the same vehicle and that steering height was adjusted once, when the car was bought. This seems like a solution in search of a problem

My wife and I share cars and our desired wheel positions (and general seating positions) are pretty different. The car that has an electronic adjustment with memory is a lot more convenient. It's not a must-have but if it's available I'll take it. edit: that mechanism is also on a 20 year old German car so if it didn't break on that I figure they're pretty reliable.

Bouillon Rube posted:

Why would you need this? Like how often are you adjusting your steering wheel? It’s just another expensive motor mechanism to break in 5 years

It sounds like you don't usually have other people driving your car. In that case, fully agreed!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

does one of you just like driving all hosed up or something

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

don't get AWD. you've named zero situations where AWD would be useful and it's going to increase cost, increase the number of points of failure, and decrease your fuel economy.

I think the solution to the problem is mostly "git gud" and stop driving all the way over curbs but if you want more ground clearance there are plenty of options. FWD CX-5 would be my personal pick for the use case.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Unsinkabear posted:

Thanks for this. Are their offers actually worth taking, or did you mean take it as a baseline and then add like 15%?

carvana is going to give you a market clearing offer. you could maybe do a little better but you're not going to do better without a lot of hassle in private sale territory.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yeah I mean fair, that is what it is. I do encourage you to you know, not drive over curbs.

Their valuation is pretty objective. Cleaning the car won't make much of a difference unless it's actually trashed inside/out.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Yeah, even then, you'd be fine in any car. I always drove up to VT/NH ski areas with whatever economy rental Enterprise would give me, usually something like a Sentra. My buddy drives an Elantra and doesn't have snow tires. The east coast doesn't really tend to have gnarly passes that would actually require notable traction (and at least in the Northeast, the gnarly passes are closed in winter)

Sometimes around Beech they make you chain up if the weather's bad. I was always proud of myself for running winter tires on my 1-series when I lived in NC the two times a winter it snowed. Also, skiing at Beech is useless and you should get on an airplane instead.

Unsinkabear posted:

Awesome. In that case, I just need to get the oil changed, and then we can find out what Carvana will offer me and really get the discussion rolling with a known budget range for the next car. Right now I'm thinking $10k, but the black book value on a clean 2013 with 60k miles is making it look like I might get a bit more.

I say oil change first because there's currently a check engine light that just turned on, which I'm desperately hoping is related to the "15% oil life" message that it's also nagging me with. Are there decent places to get that done? I used to always have my mechanic do it because the ones around here were all shady upsellers, but I recently moved and haven't sought out a new mechanic.

Don't change your oil before the valuation, they don't give a gently caress bout that. Do make sure the CEL isn't illuminated. Pull codes at Autozone.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

alrighty guys, i gave it a bit more thought. i know i said my budget was no more than $20k, but since this is going to be my very first ever brand new car purchase, one that's long overdue, and something that i plan on having for at least a decade, i decided i'm going to up my budget a bit and get something i actually really want, not something i'll settle for. so now it's between $25k-30k.

so i decided i will go with a hybrid afterall. they get great mileage overall, but moreso on the streets and since that's where i still plan on doing most of my driving, it will be quite beneficial. so of the hybrids, i've narrowed them down to the hyndai ionic and the honda insight. the ionic has the better mileage, financing and warranties. but the insight is more fun to drive and has more competent handling. unfortunately, it seems that's the only thing the insight's got going for it over the ionic. the difference in gas mileage isn't a huge deal, but the warranty and financing options leave a lot to be desired.

thoughts?

edit: oh and i guess the insight is also lacking in features too

The Ioniq is fine, for sure. Can't really go wrong with either car.

The warranty is better but both of these cars are primarily going to be consuming maintenance parts which aren't covered by warranties, like tires, oil, wiper blades, and brake rotors/pads (although your costs for the latter should be very low). I think the odds of the Insight having some kind of catastrophic powertrain failure after 6/60 but before 10/100 is extremely low, to the extent that I probably wouldn't value it in the deal.

Financing costs aren't all that different at least based on what Honda is offering in my area. 60 month term at $17.05/month per thousand vs Hyundai at $16.67. Assuming you buy a $25,000 car, that's $9.50/mo more for the Honda or $670 more over the life of the loan. It's a bit of money but it's not a very big difference and it wouldn't persuade me to buy the Ioniq if you otherwise preferred the Honda.

The fuel economy difference is miniscule. Let's say you keep this car and drive it for 250,000 miles. The Ioniq will consume 4,545 gallons of gas over its lifetime at EPA rated economy. The Insight will consume 4,808. At three dollars a gallon, the Ioniq will save you all of $750 in total fuel costs. You also mention that you will be doing more city driving and the Insight actually does better in the city (marginally) than the Ioniq so your hypothetical advantage is diminished more.

I've not sat in the Insight but the Ioniq felt extremely cheap to me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Camry Hybrid / Lexus ES 300h immediately spring to mind. Tough to beat electric motors for torque, but there's not a lot of power at speed.

Many modern cars tend to be pretty good from a torque perspective because everyone has moved to very small turbochargers which mean peak torque is available at crazy low RPMs. The Honda 1.5T makes its 175 lb-ft from like 1900 rpm all the way up through like 5000 rpm, for instance.

Is FWD a must or just a no RWD situation? Putting down stupid power at low RPMs is tough with FWD.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

no RWD. There's no way they can handle that in the snow, especially getting in and out of street/lot parking. I tend to ignore AWD ever since seeing my friend get told that he had to replace all 4 tires to fix a flat when we were on a road trip, but i suppose that would work since FWD is less and less common.

Surprised the camry hybrid has power, i'll definitely recommend that

It's basically a 4cyl camry with a bolted on electric motor that makes about 200 total horsepower, but it feels pretty good off the line and low in the powerband because electric motors make peak torque at 0 RPM. The V6 Camry is objectively faster and torquier but if she has a strong aversion to pushing the long pedal on the right the hybrid might actually work better.

The Accord uses turbo 4cyls so there's more torque down low compared to a NA V6, might be worth checking that out as well. The top 2.0T engine has a real geared transmission rather than a CVT on the 1.5T, which could either be better or worse for her driving style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Also, I'm sure this ship has sailed or whatever but I would 100% just be signing up for a Zipcar membership for that use case.