Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the CX-30 is tight. There was an ancillary request for 3 abreast car seats and that is 100% out in the CX-30.

Are you at altitude? That's another contributor to poor performance, maybe. If you are, look for things with a turbocharger. Something like a gently used CR-V with the 1.5T.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

if someone's too lazy and cheap to paint the cover they're too lazy and cheap to maintain the car right, move along

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Inner Light posted:

If you're keeping a car for 10 god drat years, and your budget is that high, why not just go new? Mazda CX-3?

because stepping up to a new vehicle is like 30-40% more at minimum, what the gently caress is this nonsense

"my budget is 15k"
"oh you should really change your budget to 23k" :wtc:

You mentioned no bigger than a XV30 Camry, are you looking to go actively smaller? A 4th gen CR-V Touring trim will include Honda Sensing. Budget might be difficult, though. You'd be looking at a relatively high mileage example.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

The Kia soul is easy to get in and out of because it's seats are at hip height (check on this for smol grandma), are relatively inexpensive, and consistently has good safety ratings.

Edit: the MSRP is apparently 17.5k But I dunno what to tell you about that.

this is a great suggestion and i'm mad that i didn't think of it

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nitrox posted:

I'm buying via business entity directly from Manheim, while exercising a number of unique tax deductions. New car is not an option.

it would probably benefit you to say this up front rather than just saying you "prefer" to buy used

edmunds and similar sites have features by trim and model year but there's not a great way to get a dump of the data.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

State inspections are not free.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

At least in Mass a lot of dealers don't do state inspections.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

mobbly you have a manual which helps a lot

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

V6 Impala maybe? They're great cruisers. Pretty cheap, the newest gen started in 2014 and those are available from about $10K. You're in Indiana so it'll be easy to find people to work on them for cheap, and parts are cheap including used parts. Most of the powertrain for the 3.6 is shared with other vehicles and is pretty reliable.

I also did just take a quick peek at Lexus ES350s and it actually looks like they didn't hold value all that well. 2010s with 100k miles are under 10 grand.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

zedprime posted:

$15k used without strong opinions means in hell market you are on the lookout for the first car that isn't maliciously listed and doesn't seem to be falling apart. Good luck, god speed.

it's not nearly this bad

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

well the zeroth step in your thought process is don't waste time effort or money on CPO for a reliable Japanese compact car

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Doesn't Honda still make a manual hybrid? If not, there's always the OG Insight!

the cr-z died a death so inglorious that nobody noticed

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

This is objectively the best manual layout op, hth.

mobby JUST posted dogleg wtf man

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

In my personal opinion the Q3 feels pretty cheap and small compared to the price point. The Q5 is much nicer to drive and is more comfortable and luxurious - but of course costs more.

Mazda CX-5 is a nice place to spend time if you want an alternative. The interior will be better than the Toyota and the various driver assistance features are good. If you want it to be faster you can basically get a budget Q5 the form of the CX-5 Turbo. The absolute fanciest CX-5 is $38K.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you can get a good deal on an envision for a reason, and that reason is that it sucks

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

People are pretty universally awful about evaluating their car buying needs and wants

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Evil Robot posted:

Just get a RAV4 Prime. It's fast with the usual Toyota benefits.

For a slightly nicer experience with more luxury, the new Venza is by all accounts pretty good

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the various purchase plans, even mediocre ones like X, look pretty decent right now

we have A plan qualification now though :gritin: and it applies to Mach-E

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ornery and Hornery posted:

The thread loves the Prius when people ask for mileage and reliability. The Prius holds the gold medal.

What other cars are good for mileage and reliability?

Anything even close to the Prius?

Pretty much all cars are reliable now with some exceptions

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sextro posted:

I mean, yeah you’ll lose if you do such a poo poo job of representing your case.

That said: What’s the most “driver oriented” vehicle I can find for under $30k that’ll be reliable and sized for 4 adults to do 8+ hour interstate drives in?

The market is insane, so I’m not bothering to have any preferences beyond being able to do the above.

Fast Accord probably, alternately Camry TRD V6. This is assuming you really, really value reliability.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Cadillac CTS is tolerably reliable, I think

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Any of the big places are fine really although nobody is likely really want a rusted out explorer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

A smaller three row SUV could work as an irregularly used solution - eg the Tiguan or similar where the rear most seats are very uncomfortable but will work in a pinch for kids.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the problem with the Clarity, other than the fact that it's being discountinued and is very rare on the used market due to low sales, is that its really, really ugly, and although you don't have to look at the outside of your car very much, you still need to do it. this is also a problem shared by the current Prius which looks loving atrocious.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DildenAnders posted:

Aren't typical wear items like timing belts and headlight assemblies like $4k each nowadays, meaning every new car is immediately totaled the second it gets into an accident or out of warranty?

how is a headlight assembly a wear item exactly? also not that expensive as others have posted, and used headlight assemblies are readily available on most mass market cars. timing belt is a 100k mile / $1000 dollar job on most cars

DEAR RICHARD posted:

i'm currently leasing a 20 corolla se which is up next may. residual on the car is about 14k, and i'm already getting offers on the car from the dealership for about 19-20k. carmax is around the same. i do know that toyota is one of the manufacturers that are blocking 3rd party lease buyouts, which isn't a big deal because i'm planning on staying with toyota. i was planning on making a move in the next few months on either a tacoma or 4runner.

i'm not expecting a redesign to happen, but when are they going to release any news on the 22 4runner/tacoma models? i know about the trd sport, but they have to have more than that, right?

i'm expecting to have a decent amount of equity to throw into a new lease. i'm hoping it's not that difficult.

you don't have equity in a lease. sorry. you have an agreed on buy out price for the car in your lease paperwork, which you can exercise. but if you don't exercise it, Toyota just takes the car back free and clear. You should exercise that option and then flip the car to Carmax, it's a bit more work but it will certainly be worth your while.

2022s are out, what you see is what you get. Very minimal changes.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i mean at the 15 years mark a whole lot of stuff is "wear items"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

a vehicle lease is absolutely not an options contract what in the gently caress

knox_harrington posted:

All depends on the deal, too, right? The Audi dealer were offering me ridiculous deals on e-trons with an incredibly inflated guaranteed final value. I didn't want an e-tron but if I did it would have made financial sense (new car buying being BWM notwithstanding)

yes a lot of times there are heavily subsidized lease deals on various cars to make them move - this can either be residual supports, reduced money factor, or both.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yes there is an option as a part of the contract but the primary element of the contract is depreciation financing.

KillHour posted:

If I buy options in a stock and that stock becomes worth more than my option to exercise costs, I have equity in that stock. I paid a fee to have that flexibility, but it doesn't change the calculus of whether I can make money off of exercising that option.

this is... extremely not how options and options valuations work

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I agree that if you are buying a toy car that you don't finance it unless you also have the cash to buy it outright. Even at low interest rates being levered for toy cars is dumb. If you can get a personal loan at a really low rate you might think about it (I think US AI goons have done well with Lightstream ), but you should also have the cash in hand ready to buy cash outright before you start making that decision.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bird with big dick posted:

I remember in the 90s my study hall monitor talking about how great Hyundai's powertrain warranty was. And that's when they actually were kinda pieces of poo poo, or at least were perceived as such.

that warranty plus some better styling efforts made the Korean cars a thing in the US

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

if you like a high driving position just buy a crossover, there's nothing particularly wrong with them.

the Mazda3 hatch sacrifices a lot of practicality for "styling" as the back seat isn't very large and the cargo area is compromised. new civic hatch is a lot more practical.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

it's a little unclear based on the post and replies but if you are planning to park on the street i don't think you should buy a new car

what does 5% "off-road driving" mean to you?

I don't think blind spot detection is all that useful, you need to verify anyway by turning your head and using your head is good practice. lane keeping is probably/possibly more useful.

the CX-30 is not a very large car, especially from a cargo space perspective. CX-5 would be a better choice if you really want to haul around desks on a regular basis. But the Prius is probably the way to go since it's very reliable. Just make sure you don't mind the way it drives.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

parking features do not help reduce actual accidents that matter.

helpful safety features in rough order of priority:

top tier:
Electronic Stability Control and traction control
anti lock brakes and electronic brakeforce distribution
forward collision warning and automatic emergency braking
brake assistance

next tier:
Lane keep assistance
rear cross traffic
blind spot monitoring
adaptive headlights

convenience features:
back up camera (mandatory now)
360 degree camera
parking proximity sensors
self parking poo poo
active cruise control

the top tier will probably either help you not get in an accident or significantly reduce the severity of the accident. the next tier will maybe help you not get in an accident more marginally but really won't do anything to reduce the severity. the bottom tier makes your life better but doesn't really do that much to help you not get in accidents. It might help you not say, bump in to a car parallel parking... but you should be going slowly enough that you should not do any significant damage to your car or someone else's during parking.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

if you're street parking a car in a city it's just a reality of life so i'm sure my tolerance for such things is extremely high compared to most people

most car's prox sensors won't save you from a bad cut since they don't really cover the quarter that well. you need a 360 camera for that. or you could i dunno just use the mark 1 eyeball like god intended.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

But all the divorced women in their late thirties will see your CX-5 and go "ooh they must get ALL the estate sale deals" and isn't that worth the price of admission?

bro you do not get pussy shrapnel in CX-5 you need a Infiniti of some kind i think it was an infiniti? maybe a lexus?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bird with big dick posted:

I think they look great.

the first time i saw the rear end of one i thought they forgot to take the prototype camo off

rest of it looks ok tho

Corla Plankun posted:

There is a lot of road noise when you're driving on the highway and inside the car. It makes sense to me because Consumer Reports only ever dings Toyotas for having too much road noise/not a smooth enough ride, but it is entirely possible that her expectations are just way too high. Is a used luxury car going to be a maintenance/maintenance-cost nightmare? I could be open to it if it is a manageable cost.

I forgot to mention that electric/hybrid features (especially regenerative braking) would be a really huge nice-to-have but maybe I'm dreaming too big for the current used car market.

Champagne tastes on a beer budget here, friend. If you want a very quiet car the Buick LaCrosse V6 fits the bill and should be available cheaply. They're pretty reliable. bonus: also big.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i would buy a civic over a jetta and i am a vw owner fwiw

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

You don't need to filter out the riff raff on a 7 year old camry and if you come with your own financing, the dealer shouldn't get to care about your credit.

its 2021 a 7 year old camry costs like 20 thousand dollars

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

That Works posted:

Proposed Budget: $21k or less (prefer $18k)
New or Used: Used
Body Style: SUV, Truck or Crossover, prefer SUV but am flexible
How will you be using the car?: 2nd vehicle, gets about 30% the amount of use as our primary daily driver (2017 Prius prime). Needs to be able to tow a light trailer on occasion (<1000lb payload). When used for commute it's a very short trip. Car will not get much mileage added to it quickly. Probably looking at 4k miles per year.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, low maintenance costs. Creature comforts can be minimal, it will not be driven as often or for as long of duration in one go. MPG should be decent, prefer smaller and more economic vs big and powerful.

Anyway. Replacing the jeep with something of similar size and utility. I am leaning towards a Toyota RAV4, the local Carmax has a few in our price range and under 90k miles. However they also have a lot of Honda CRVs and Hyundai Tuscon's as well as a Mazda MX5 and I am less familiar with those. I have loved the Hondas and Toyotas I have owned but don't know their SUVs well.

Biggest question is, in the small-mid size SUV market are there any real poo poo ones to stay away from?

i gotta ask, why give a gently caress about fuel economy on a truck thats getting 4k miles a year? its gonna be a couple hundred bucks a year in fuel cost max. i assume you mean real SUV because you also put crossover in the options so I think you should either get a 4Runner or a Lexus GX because all of that other stuff you posted is a crossover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'm not gonna say I never bump people while parallel parking on my street in Boston but I generally try to avoid it.

verdict: ops a dick