Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

My old Buick has over 210k miles and is starting to die, so I'd like to retire it and get a new car. A new car loan would be my first dealing with credit; I've lived debt-free, no cards or loans, so clearly I'll have no credit report. I have been at my job for two and a half years, have an income of about $50k, about $12k in savings, and expenses are less about 1/3 of income.

Do I even stand a chance of getting a car loan at this point, or do I need to pray my Buick hangs on a couple more years while I get something like a secured credit card and start to build credit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

My bank said no chance in this economy, and I've had a checking account with them since 1997. Yikes. Looks I got some time to spend under the hood. Whoever said the 3800 is bulletproof is absolutely right; the engine could go for another 210 no sweat and still has great power...it's the electricals that's going on the car.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 4, 2010

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Nocheez posted:

You have $12K in savings, right? Why not look for a used car (Toyota especially), around 7 or 8 years with around 100K miles but still lots of life left because it's been cared for. Shouldn't be more than 4 or 5K and will last you another few years.

If you can repair your Buick, that would be the best option.

No I'm fixing the Buick. I'm not dead in the water needing a car.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Wanna see what you guys think -

Proposed Budget: $15,000, I could stretch to 20k but no higher

New or Used: Used

Body Style: 4 door mid-sized sedan or crossover, bonus if crossover has captain's chairs in the front.

How will you be using the car?: Commuter car. Wife and I carpool and have 25 mile commute one way in Houston traffic. The car may occasionally take a third passenger or two dogs and do a 500 mile round trip to north Texas. We currently have a 2011 Altima that we're selling to our son.

What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style)
1. 4 cylinder non-hybrid engine, so far not trusting a used hybrid
2. Decent hip room for average middle aged Americans. We weren't impressed with the newer Altimas, thus why we're shopping.
3. No leather, as the dogs will mess that up
4. Can only talk the wife into a Japanese car thus far, but I'm not opposed to an American car (my previous car was a Camaro, Hurricane Harvey got it, now have a Tundra)

So far I've found three cars that sound like fit the bill -

1. Honda Accord
2. Mazda CX5
3. Subaru Legacy

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

nm posted:

Hybrids are unreliable!
Wants to buy a subaru.
Ha.

Buy a toyota hybrid of your choice.

It's not the reliability I'm questioning, it's not trusting a dealer to sell me a 15k car that immediately needs a 5k battery job. Can the battery output be checked in a pre-purchase inspection?

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

OK so I'll add a hybrid Camry to my list and knock off the Subaru. I think the Prius may be a little too small.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

I didn't think about the Outback, they seem to run just a little over budget for the current model. Same with the Mazda CX-9. From a quick glance they appear to have the same 2.5L engine as the Legacy, would it be just as prone to the head gasket issues?

As for leatherette, I've tried that on the Altima and the dogs managed to rip it up to the point I ended up vacuuming leatherette every time I took the cover off. We switched to a heavy duty polyester cover with rubber backing, that's been a lot tougher. Doesn't totally solve the shedding problem but I don't mind vacuuming the car out.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

No leather? Hair comes off waaaaay easier. And I dunno about you but why wouldn't you just get a seat cover anyway?

I've already got a seat cover and I don't mind vacuuming, so leather isn't a priority.