Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Proposed Budget: $7000 - $9000, maybe up to $10,000
New or Used: Used
Body Style: 4-door car of some sort, preferably with a lot of room. I'm not a small person.
How will you be using the car?: 20-40mi daily commute, occasionally carting around friends.
What aspects are most important to you? Cost and maintenance. Mileage would be nice but isn't a huge priority. I live in Vegas so the summer weather is pretty harsh but there's not much of a winter. Not sure how much that matters.

I'm currently driving a early 90s GMC truck from my family that has all sorts of fun and interesting problems and probably won't last too long -- the transmission is going south and most recently the thermostat stopped working properly, and it some minor leaks. It basically rotted in the driveway for a few years without moving much... The only thing about it I like is that it has pedals that require a little bit of force to move, so accelerating and braking is smoother and less "poo poo I barely touched it and it just jerked to a stop :gonk:".

I know absolutely nothing about purchasing a car :downs:

I do know that buying something lovely just because it's cheap works out real well, though. My mother bought a $1000 beater that basically instantly required $2000+ worth of work. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Bovril Delight posted:

That sounds about right. 1k cars are bought with the assumption you will need to sink in cash to fix stuff. If you go in buying a 1k car expecting it to be reliable and not require an extra initial investment, you're fooling yourself.

Oh, she was. :v: Apparently the person who she bought it from knew he was getting rid of garbage, why else would it be cheap honestly thought there were no major problems and was just "being nice". :downs:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Back again. Went car shopping. Delaerships like Carmax seem terrible, and others aren't interested in what budget you give them. No, I don't want a $22k car when I told you my budget is $15k, thanks.

Proposed Budget: No more than $15k if I can help it. I make $40k/year with $13k in cash right now. I have no real credit history, it seems.
New or Used: Used.
Body Style: 4-door, sedan or hatchbacks. Something with enough room inside, I'm not a small person.
How will you be using the car?: Commute, occasional neighborhood driving. Possibility of longer trips, though.
What aspects are most important to you?: I need something with at least some oomph. I'm used to driving a 1990 GMC pickup that has no problems getting up to freeway speed; a 4-cyl I test-drove seemed to sputter and struggle to make it up to 65mph.

One of the cars I test-drove and found was pretty decent was a Ford Avenger, 2011. It was $15k or so at Carmax.

A different dealer seemed dead-set on me taking a Kia Soul, but they look kind of lame and the price was way out of range again.

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to this sort of thing, but even I could tell I was being taken for a ride by the dealerships. Browsing poo poo on the Las Vegas craigslist and I'm not sure what I should be looking for, either.

Zamujasa fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 4, 2013