Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Proposed Budget: £4000 (UK)
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Not too bothered. I'm not too keen on driving a tank, though.
How will you be using the car?: Daily 16 mile commute, client home visits, and monthly 300-mile round trip.

What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, especially over rough country roads. I live and work in the Brecon Beacons, and have to make visits to some of my clients. Quite often this involves driving up miles of potholed country lanes, usually halfway up a mountain. I'm currently driving a 1.2 litre Vauxhall Corsa from 2003, and I'm not sure how much longer it can put up with the punishment. I don't need anything with true off-road capability, just something a little bit more suited to steep, poor quality roads. The car will only have to transport me, and I don't really need towing or cargo capacity. I do about 16,000 miles in a year, so something with at least moderate fuel economy would be nice. Aesthetics and extras come a distant last, as I will probably scratch the hell out of it, and don't even use my car radio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
My 2003 Vauxhall Corsa just died on me, probably the head gasket failing. I don't want to get it repaired, as there's over 90,000 miles on the clock, and I'd just be waiting for the next repair bill. I'm looking at getting something more reliable that should last me for a few years, and is more comfortable for long distance driving. The dealership I originally bought my Corsa from has a Ford Focus 1.8 TDCI Titanium that I can get for a little under £3500 with part-ex. It has about 80,000 miles on the clock, but I'm told that is no big deal for a diesel. Is this a good deal, or is there something better I could be looking at in the sub £4000 range?