Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Current topic (and me being cheap) made me sad and miss my gen 3 4Runner, so I've been window shopping XJs for a desert/mountain camping mobile (can't afford a 4runner for a play car).

If the only thing I know about them is "Pretty sure I want the inline 6 4 liter" is there any model years I should be avoiding or things to watch out for? I've already got a spot picked out in my driveway for the oil stain. I've been looking at 97-99 and hoping for a manual, but those aren't as common as the older models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

zedprime posted:

cross section of a cardboard box or clump of plastic bags and a human can look similar and activating

To human eyes, too!

Several years ago a friend of mine was riding his bike and was hit, ran over, and dragged by a young woman in a sedan.

People ran out into the street trying to stop the woman, but she kept driving for a block.

She later told the cops that she thought she hit a cardboard box, and didn't stop because she was afraid of being carjacked.

He spent months in a hospital and she got off Scott free. Whenever I talk to him I make a bad joke about how square he's looking.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I'm too lazy (or arrive too late) to pick up off-site, so I am always renting at the airport. Last 3 months:

May: full-size: $45/day, small market airport (Reno)
June: full-size $94/day, small market airport (Jackson MS)
July: full-size $58/day, large market airport (Nashville TN)

Guys I met in July rented a Suburban in New Orleans for $120/day or something silly like that.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

That feature is a thing that only the Chrysler Pacifica has, and the hybrid one does not. So it sounds like you have a non-hybrid Chrysler Pacifica in your future!

I keep getting these for rentals.

The rear-most seat stow-n-gos, at least. If that's enough cargo space for you the Hybrid is ok.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Natty Ninefingers posted:

My concern is more potholes, washouts, and ruts

Whereabouts are you hiking? I'm in Nevada. Most of my Sierra trailheads that I enjoy (the less-popular spots) are also very difficult to get to w/o better clearance. The washouts and ruts are really bad. And then for deep BLM camping, access is extremely bad.

I had an older (99?) 4runner that was perfect until it finally succumbed to rust. The best trails car and very good in the desert as well. Now I'm using my old work truck (2010 F250) and it'll get me there but is a horrible time and miserable daily driver.

I'd just buy a new 4 runner for another 20-year car but they're just so darn big now. And even the used cost, for something that I am going to pinstripe the hell out of day 1, is a mental hangup.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

TheBacon posted:

All that to say I do not think OP is going to get towing, ACC, and reliable for under $20k. Personally I did not find ACC that great or yseful unless it was one of the really recent systems, which also are going to be over $20k and likely not on anything that can tow.

My work truck died and boss told me to find a new one. I was looking at f250s to match the rest of the fleet, crew cab, 4wd with the only required "convenience" options being power windows and mirrors b/c they're annoying to adjust. He has this hard-on for ACC. Which immediately threw us into $80k+ land for "on lot, available right now" inventory (SoCal).

I found a used one w/o ACC, <1000 miles for 55k and he said "nah, not quite perfect."

I just refused to look anymore. Not even my money but I just can't.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

zedprime posted:

I believe this up until the point I sit my butt into a late model rental and plug in and somehow there's no android auto???

I don't like swapping cars in a self choice lot because the whole forgetting baggage after waking up at 4am and being brain dead by 9 am but that's an instant fail.

Hello, me. I think I've lost 3 jackets now (dark fabric in dark trunk, frequently in a dim parking garage). I've been lucky with bags but mine are obnoxiously colored.

Lately I've been leaving my bags/crap on the ground behind an open door. If my phone works with the rental, then I load it. If not, moving on to the next one. You do kind of get a mental short list (I pulled Malibus all summer; a few years back I avoided Toyotas for some tech reason since resolved).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

powderific posted:

So, what's better about a Suburban/Excursion/Sequoia than a pickup with a topper? I've only driven pickups a couple times and have driven SUVs and cargo vans a lot so I'm not sure what the tradeoffs are. To me it seemed like a bed with topper would have more interior height/width and be easier for keeping things my heavier light stands and carts safely tied down, building in racks for stands/softboxes, etc.

This is just me, but I drive a work truck and my experience:

I hate finding city parking with a trailer. I have a 250 with an 8-foot bed and that's hard enough to find parking, do city u-turns. If you don't really need the half ton I'd look at the Tacoma, ranger, Colorado. More nimble, similar cargo size.

I ripped the topper off. It is a pain in the rear end to get poo poo in and out all the time, because inevitably what you want will be in the wrong place. Even with custom racks and tool boxes. So now I have some limited locking storage and paranoia about parking around the corner from my work site. And then hotels, I have to pretty much empty the bed every night.

When I fly for work I always rent minivans before an SUV (or cargo if absolutely necessary). I catch a lot of poo poo showing up on a work site, but it's always worth it.