Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I swore my next car would be Union -- and it looks like it will be. Soviet Union, that is. I'm looking to buy a Trabant (East German, a Soviet Satellite state but come on that joke had to be made). I know I'll have to do a fair amount of basic engine repair as I drive it but it is a two-stroke engine so it shouldn't be that hard. Has anyone bought one of these? What other things should I worry about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

kimbo305 posted:

Since theis seems like a toy/project and not a financial issue, you might be better served asking in the AI questions thread, or starting a thread in there.

Good call. When I'm closer to actually getting it, I'll start the thread. Trabants are sweet but, yeah, they are definitely toys.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Not sure if the OP is up to date, but my wife's car just got totalled. It was a 2000 Chevy Malibu and we're looking at maybe a Toyota Corolla 2015 XS or whatever with a backup camera. I had an old Corolla 1992 and it is still driving in the wilds of Michigan and I currently own a Prius C, so I'm a huge Toyota partisan. My wife is a little more rock flag and eagle but is open to suggestions.

We've got around 3.2K from insurance on the totaled car and maybe another K for down payment. We'd like to pay less than $300/mo for the car.

We live in Oakland, which has a robust second hand market (techies are good at wanting new toys and abandoning perfectly good toys). Any suggestions?